Why no "Gastonbury" - the song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good god, you're all acting like a bunch of grammar bullies...

he's hardly writing a letter to the Queen of England now is he?

have you not got anything better to do than gang up on a relatively new poster and act like a bunch of arses? :rolleyes:

btw, i'm not calling you a bunch of arses, it's a simile :D

The English language must be preserved at all costs. The advent of the Internet has butchered it and grammar Nazis like us like us are doing the world a great service.

I stand corrected.

And here I was thinking you were just lazy, didn't know how to, or simply couldn't be arsed with using apostrophes correctly.

Not laziness, maybe tiredness i'll give you that mate, i suffer from insomnia. I do know how to use apostrophes correctly, i have qualifications in English Language and have just completed my A level English Language tests, so hopefully will have a Degree in English Language.

But at the end of the day, everyone on here all has common ground on the fact were all U2 fans. We come on this site to discuss INFORMALLY about U2. I don't feel i have to write with 100% grammar and punctuation, if am wrong then i'm sorry and i will apologise to GaleonGirl myself. But i really thought this was a friendly place to discuss U2, were i could learn a thing or two. Not to be contradicted and to be corrected. That's just my opinion.

she didn't call you an idiot, she said you typed like one.

it's a simile, not a direct insult.

Thank you for talking sense. :) That's exactly what I did.

I don't know the guy, why would I call him an idiot. :shrug: I duly observed his typing.

And TheEdge29, as a foreigner I can tell you that it's really confusing when people type without apostrophes and confuse there/their/they're and all that crap. It makes it hard for me to properly understand your messages and I have to read the posts a couple of times to understand. I'm not the only non English person here. I'm not the only person who has these problems. I'm just the only one stating them.

If a Spanish or Italian poster posts in broken English, the same issue. But the difference is that they can't help it, they just don't know enough of the English language to type correctly. But you're English. It should be completely natural for you to properly type. I just don't get why it's so hard to do that when so many people on here try their hardest to type stuff in your language so people will understand them.

I'm sorry if I came across rude or as a know it all, but please, is it too much to ask to just type a little more grammatically correct?

People, you do realise language is there so that we can communicate clearly and effectively, right? If you want to type badly, thus reducing the clarity and effectiveness of what you are saying, then go ahead; you are the one who looks like a fool and gets misunderstood or ignored. Meanwhile, those of us who can be bothered with proper spelling and grammar can get on with our conversation. Doesn't matter how formal or informal the discussion is; I think if you've got something to say, no matter what it is, you want to get your point across clearly and effectively.

sorry, but when people are criticising others for not capitalising their "i's" that's just getting ridiculous...

i get paid to write well, i spend my whole day, every day, writing for a living, but when i post in here, i just want to do a quick post and cannot be arsed to capitalise or whatever...

i think some of the criticisms are a bit mean-spirited and unnecessary tbh... is it really that hard to work out the "you're"/"your" mix-ups, and that "dont" = "don't"?

In amongst all this bickering how on earth hasn't anybody noticed that the song is called Glastonbury!?

In a world where little spinning yellow men and fone txt acronyms abound, the criticism of spelling is a little silly. Lots of people have difficulty with grammar and spelling but still have an opinion.

Anyhow, more to the point... Do you think the band regrets mentioning they had written a song called 'Glastonbury' and regret even more playing it and not keeping it for the Festival?

Thank you for talking sense. :) That's exactly what I did.

I don't know the guy, why would I call him an idiot. :shrug: I duly observed his typing.

And TheEdge29, as a foreigner I can tell you that it's really confusing when people type without apostrophes and confuse there/their/they're and all that crap. It makes it hard for me to properly understand your messages and I have to read the posts a couple of times to understand. I'm not the only non English person here. I'm not the only person who has these problems. I'm just the only one stating them.

If a Spanish or Italian poster posts in broken English, the same issue. But the difference is that they can't help it, they just don't know enough of the English language to type correctly. But you're English. It should be completely natural for you to properly type. I just don't get why it's so hard to do that when so many people on here try their hardest to type stuff in your language so people will understand them.

I'm sorry if I came across rude or as a know it all, but please, is it too much to ask to just type a little more grammatically correct?

I understand were you're coming from Galeongirl, it just came across to me that you were being rude about it. Maybe you weren't, but that's how i saw it. And too be honest i wouldn't of thought that English wasn't your mother tongue, because you write in perfect English. You're English is perfect. So that shouldn't be a problem to you.

I can write in perfect English, and will do so from now on. I'm sorry for being rude and aggressive.

I never intended to be rude. I tend to forget that new posters aren't quite used to the way we post here, most is posted with a wink or sarcasm, but it's hard to get across on the internet.

No hard feelings. :)

I never intended to be rude. I tend to forget that new posters aren't quite used to the way we post here, most is posted with a wink or sarcasm, but it's hard to get across on the internet.

No hard feelings. :)

You're right i'm not used to writing on here. No worries, like you said no hard feelings. :)

....speaking of things grammar related, I wish people would stop using bloody textspeak on Facebook posts, especially when for once you have drillions of words, 'characters' at your disposal to choose from unlike the challenge that is Twitter...

...unless of course u r Prince...

They should have played "Glastonbury" at Glastonbury. Now what are they going to do with it? Save it for next time?

....speaking of things grammar related, I wish people would stop using bloody textspeak on Facebook posts, especially when for once you have drillions of words, 'characters' at your disposal to choose from unlike the challenge that is Twitter...

...unless of course u r Prince...

When I was in high school yearbook, people in class tried to put things in the yearbook that were written like a text message. I told them that it was not right to do that, and I was thereafter known as the Spelling Nazi, just because I pointed out that one does not publish books that say things like "I had a gr8 year w/ my bffs!"

Back
Top Bottom