Why no Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDB

Babyface
Hey all,
First time blogger. was wondering if anyone knows why they are not doing Bad in any concert on this tour. went to second chicago show last year and they didn't play it either. Going again this year and I'm hoping they play it. Does anyone know? Thanks

You should have gone to the first Chicago show - they played it then!

They've played it a few times, but I don't believe they've played it since 2009 (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong - I don't remember if they played it in Europe in 2010 at all).

They had soundchecked it before the first Anaheim show, and a bunch of us were on tenterhooks waiting to see if they'd bust out with it at the second night, but alas.

No idea why not.

Hey Thanks for the info. These blogs do work! Hopefully they'll play it especially for my buddy who's from Dublin.

This song SHOULD be in every show. It's one of the songs that best showcases the power of U2's live show.

However, I'd imagine with this new generation of fans at the shows, MANY people probably do not know this song anymore, whereas it used to be considered in the Greatest Hits category.

I know this sounds stupid but anyway to request Bad for show in chicago??

You can put it on a sign if you're going to be up close (and don't block anyone's view with it), but it's pretty doubtful they will play it just based on a sign request.

If you have a sign and they play it, well ... they were probably going to play it anyway.

If you run into the band or a crew member during the day, you can always tell them your request. No idea if that has ever worked, though. I'm sure they meet people at every show who ask them to play something.

Some of the recent shows, it has had a disturbingly muted reaction and I'm worried it has dented U2's confidence with the song. Interesting contrast was Melbourne 2 in 2006, where it was a massive closer, to Melbourne 1 in 2010, when lots of people even in the inner zone just looked lost.

Its my holy grail U2 song and have yet to experience it. It seems for the most part they prefer playing it indoors looking at the last few tours. Hopefully someday...

James

Some of the recent shows, it has had a disturbingly muted reaction and I'm worried it has dented U2's confidence with the song. Interesting contrast was Melbourne 2 in 2006, where it was a massive closer, to Melbourne 1 in 2010, when lots of people even in the inner zone just looked lost.
Melbourne 1 is wrong.
Also, fingers crossed for Bad at Glasto!

I wish they'd retire Bad, have seen it at far too many shows I've been to. :yawn:

:wink:
No really, I've seen Bad more than say Desire, Suck in a moment or I Will Follow.

But it was awesome each and every time.

I wish they'd retire Bad, have seen it at far too many shows I've been to. :yawn:

No really, I've seen Bad more than say Desire, Suck in a moment or I Will Follow.

I would take BAD every night over the crazy tonight disco song. seems they left that out tonight thank gawd... :applaud:also think one song from POP like please or HMTMKMKM would have been appropriate.

Lucky you. (Though I think I can make the same claim.)

I reckon you do, as three of my Bad performances were the same shows you were at. ;) Amsterdam II, Dublin I and III. And I reckon you saw it at the Aussie shows in 2010, when I saw it in Brussels.

I have to admit, that performance last nigth was something else. Man, not to sound cliche, but they really were on fire.

The snippet is an old poem, Jerusalem. It also has a longer name but I can't recall it. He also used that for the intro to Streets.

What the fuck?

While I haven't seen Bad more than Stuck In A Moment or I Will Follow over the years, I do seem to be quite lucky in catching its performances.
During this tour it has been played 13 times (if we include last night's performance). Of those 13 performances I saw 9 of them. And yes, it's still awesome each and every time. :)

Great snippet. Of course, it's a poem by William Blake that's also a hymn popular in England and also a track by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Here's the words to the bit during Bad:

‎"Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!"

I've only heard it live once, and it was in Phoenix during the Vertigo tour. I nearly died. For me, it's akin to the feeling that wells up when I hear Streets live.

I too am hoping to hear it in Nashville!

Back
Top Bottom