Which tracks from NLOTH will actually be regulars on the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Seemingly Assured:

1. Get On Your Boots
2. No Line On The Horizon - Would make a strong opener.
3. Magnificent - Made for arenas.
4. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - Catchiest bit they could do. Probably in the early or middle portion of the set.
5. Moment Of Surrender - Could replace One although that's doubtful since the casuals all want Streets/One/Beautiful Day/Vertigo or else will demand a refund.
6. Stand Up Comedy - Easy enough to work into an arena/stadium setting. Loud. No chance of "Love and Peace" popping up on the tour if this is in the sets.....I'm dreading this poor excuse for a song being coupled with "Bullet"....tired and irrelevant.

Highly Probable:

7. Breathe - Easy, faceless rock. But probably boring enough for a lot of the audience that it doesn't appear every night.

Maybe:

Cedars of Lebanon (As a closer if nothing else)

Way Too Experimental:

Unknown Caller
Fez - Being Born
White As Snow

Personally, I'd really only like to see the first five I listed. Give them more room to bring back some standards (Bad/Unforgettable Fire/In God's Country, etc.) since a lot of this album isn't concert friendly.

Unknown Caller will be played in some form - it may be experimental as recorded but at it's heart it's the most anthemic song on the album.

I love Moment of Surrender but it's got too many instrumental breaks to work as a live track in it's current form...

Breathe & Stand Up Comedy will kick ass live just like they do on the record...

You know, I completely agree with the OP's list. :hmm:

1. Get On Your Boots will probably be the second or third song of the night.
2. No Line On The Horizon could possibly be the first song of one of the encores.
3. Magnificent will be the opener. There is no doubt in my mind.
4. Crazy Tonight could be part of the encore.
5. Moment of Surrender will probably be the last song or near the end of the concert.
6. Stand Up Comedy will probably be early in the show.

7. Breathe could be the last song of the first set.

8. Cedars probably won't appear more than a few times. It doesn't sound like a song that'd play live.

9. Unknown Caller is doubtful just because of its length.
10. Fez-Being Born was probably a track they looked at as something they could play live but ended up putting it on the album.
11. White As Snow, like Cedars, doesn't sound like something they would play.

Agreed, magnificents intro is saying " im first on the tour ". Get on your boots will be second no doubt, i cant see it being anywhere near the middle, Crazy tonight might link up with Beatiful day, Stand up comedy maybe with the fly, i can see unknown caller, pride and streets in some order together, not sure about cedards, i can see it being split into another song, so bono sings like a quater of it, and then mixes it into cobl of summet.

I'd say there are three obvious tracks that will be played at all shows - NLOTH, being fairly direct and the title track; Magnificent, the massive stadium anthem; and Boots, the lead single. I can see Breathe being the encore rocker like ABOY was on Vertigo, but perhaps not guaranteed to always stick around, or maybe rotating with Comedy. Crazy Tonight as an almost assured single should have a strong presence.

Fez-Being Born would be magic if they play it, but I don't see it happening. I can only really see White As Snow in an acoustic set or paired with ASOH or something like that. I'm not going to get my hopes up. Cedars is probably another track that isn't really assured. Unknown Caller --> Streets would rule, so I'm hoping that occurs to the band and it becomes a regular.

I don't think they will play MOS. It's such a studio moment song that I'm not sure it would even translate adequately live. Then again, it could become an absolute live epic. Who knows.

Breathe has the potential to be an amazing live song and it will probably be a regular, along with the title track, Boots, Crazy Tonight and Magnificent. Stand Up Comedy will probably show up as well. Hoping for Cedars of Lebanon making an appearance. It will be interesting how they will play Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller live, since those two are highly dependent on Lanois and Eno. In fact, this is the hardest album so far to transfer live, in terms of instrumentation and the overall complexity of some songs.

Hoping for a better transfer than The Bomb, that didn't fare that well live with some tracks (Miracle Drug, All Because of You, Original of the Species, Crumbs).

It would be amazing to hear Fez-Being Born live, at least the latter part, but I highly doubt it. White as Snow falls into that category as well.

NoLOTH - Yes
Magnificent - Yes
Moment of Surrender - God, I hope so
Unknown Caller - Maybe
Crazy Tonight - Yes
Boots - Yes
Stand Up - Probably
Fez - No
white as Snow - Probably not, maybe occasionally later in the tour
Breathe - Yes
Cedars - Probably not

Cedars would work well with RTSS / BTBS, I think, and I'm desperately hoping that it makes some sort of an appearance.

My sure bets:
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Get On Your Boots
Breathe

The ones I think will show up for a while and then will be left out:
Stand Up Comedy
Unknown Caller
Cedars Of Lebanon

Might be played a couple of times:
Fez - Being Born Again
White As Snow

I hope I'm wrong abut Stand Up Comedy though. I really hope they play it live a lot!

Just to confirm essentially what we've all been saying about songs that are sure to be played: besides Boots, U2 have already played "live" NLOTH, Magnificent, and Breathe. These were done at the band's studios for two sets of guests. In the first instance, they did NLOTH/Magnificent/Boots in the first week of February for filming for The Culture Show, which airs in the UK on Tuesday. In the second instance, they did NLOTH and Breathe for some El Salvadorean fans that they invited into the studio on the 12th.

So the band have clearly been rehearsing all four of those tracks, and it will be interesting to see if anything else from the new album appears during their upcoming appearances on Le Grand Journal, Jonathan Ross, BBC Live Lounge, Letterman, GMA, etc.

Definitely no surprises since those were the four most obvious numbers. I think Moment Of Surrender could segue effortlessly into Bad....Bono could just start "ooh oohing" after a MOS verse and then say "surrender...dislocate" :drool:

Magnificent is a certain opener, IMAO. Breathe would be without a doubt a given -possible encore. Unknown Caller would be a fan favorite. Think about it. . .we're the ones who can yell "Go - shout it out- Rise Up - oh oh oh - escape yourself and gravity. . . shush now. . . etc.

Wouldn't it be fun to yell "shush now" at Bono not to mention to play the part of the Unknown Caller?

Boots is obvious, WAS in an acoustic set following RTSS/BTBS with SBS. IGCIIDGCT definitely. MOS somewhere early in the set.

If you listen, it's possible they throw in 9 of 11. This is certainly a touring album despite all the extras they throw in (cello, trumpet, keys, etc -Edge can't play guitar and keys simultaneously). Regardless, not a tour to miss, not that anyone reading would!!!

:up: great points
going to be interesting to see what they do indeed drop. they have 11 good tracks on this record, and their whole catalogue of hits...

Axver, didn't see a review from you on the album. might have missed it...what do ya think? i know your feelings on the last record were almost the same as mine, so I was curious.

I'm loving NLOTH!!!

NLOTH -definitely, the album opener
Magnificent - definitely, 2nd single
MOS - it's amazing but may be too much of a studio take
UC - very likely, that chanting chorus could really take off live
Crazy - definitely, 3rd single
Boots - of course, lead single
SUC - very likely
FEZ - no way, except maybe a pre-recorded bit to the encore with the "let me in the sound" part
Breathe - very likely
WAS - B-stage Bono and Edge material ?
COL - doubtful

The main live problem with MOS is that there's actually very little guitar in it for the most part, but the stuff that's there is too important to leave out. I doubt Edge would be up for a new years day/unforgettable fire type switching during the song.

:up: great points
going to be interesting to see what they do indeed drop. they have 11 good tracks on this record, and their whole catalogue of hits...

Axver, didn't see a review from you on the album. might have missed it...what do ya think? i know your feelings on the last record were almost the same as mine, so I was curious.

I'm loving NLOTH!!!

With every passing tour, it becomes more imperative that they rotate songs rather than drop them, but I'm not getting my hopes up there ...

I'm digging the album. It's like the U2 I love are back, especially on songs like Fez-Being Born and White As Snow. I didn't think U2 had such a creative album in them, to be honest, so my expectations have been wildly surpassed. I'm considering doing some travel in the middle of the year and timing it to catch the band live ... before I heard the album, I felt no real urgency about timing the trip to catch U2.

The songs I think that will be played for sure will be:

1.NLOTH
2.Magnificent
3.MOS
4.Unknown Caller
5.Crazy Tonight
6.Get On Your Boots
7.Stand Up Comedy
8.Breathe
9.Maybe White As Snow,Winter,Or Cedars Of Lebanon
Fez=Being Born is doubtful IMO

Definitely no surprises since those were the four most obvious numbers.

Heh, funny I said this after having "Breathe" as not a sure bet in the initial post...but after listening to the album over the last week, not only did the track grow on me, but it became clearly apparent that it would make for an easy transition to their live set. Sure enough, it was the second track to be performed in public.

Concerning "Unknown Caller"...it's definitely looking more and more likely as I continue to listen to the album - it would sound great echoing around an enclosed arena. "Fez" and "Cedars" are the only ones absolutely out of the question now in my eyes. The former is too tricky to pull off effectively while I think the latter is too damn talky...whereas White As Snow does look like it could be dusted off a few times in an encore as a subdued ballad. I wouldn't be shocked if 9 of the 11 tracks were played on some nights.

Back
Top Bottom