What's that song they came out to? / Intro Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever that is, U2 or Gavin Friday or whatever, it sounds a shit ton like Coldplay. Specifically Viva La Vida Coldplay. And I'm not just trying to stir the pot here, I really do think that. If you played me the first minute and a half of that clip and said this is a song Coldplay recorded with Eno during the Viva La Vida sessions I wouldn't doubt you for a second. It sounds like maybe a bit of "Yes" mixed with parts of "Strawberry Swing" or "Life in Technicolor" or something. I really, really hope that is not a U2 song.

I think that observation comes from the fact that Coldplay brought Eno in to change everything, and influence everything. U2 use Eno to help write, but then curb his creative influence, and make sure he doesn't run too wild.

The reason Coldplay sound like that is because of Eno, and this song is obviously from the moodier, atmospheric Songs of Ascent NLOTH leftovers, as it would not have worked without Eno's hands all over it.

So saying it is like Coldplay is a bit superficial: it is like Eno, and the way in which Eno was allowed to influence Coldplay's writing and performance

Coudl they be about to really shock us all with the release of Passengers: Original Soundtracks Vol. 2 before Songs of Ascent?

I don't like the song....maybe if it was just Bono and maybe Edge singing it but I think Eno or Lanois also are singing. I want to hear U2 not U2 & co. Just my opinion....not worth much. rubs me wrong....maybe it will grow on me but I don't think so...

well it will grow on me...but like some of the verses on NLOTH where the others sing, I feel it drowns out Bonos voice. Oh well. I don't hate it anyway....just don't love it ...yet

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kingdom!!!

I still wont believe it is officially U2 until I see it on SOA with my own eyes. and I hope it is U2, but I just dont want to get my hopes up too much. I know we have a reliable source too ... :hyper:

I cannot wait for SOA... U2, please dont change it to more mainstream based on Paul McGuiness's influence or "record sales"! ... I am praying for even more experimentation out of these 4. Now is the time in their career to venture even deeper because they have covered everything else brilliantly!

What if this song is released as an "electrical storm" or "windows in the sky"... like a single song just after the record?? quite possible?'

and I think this right here is good proof that kingdom is a u2 song: ""Songs Of Ascent will be quieter than No Line in many ways, it's that ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work, but not indulgent."" - Bono

I have posted the song and all we know about it on my blog and facebook
(i am the one originally linked to...like 3rd post in this thread.

Update from Beth:

BETH:Apparently (in case you have not heard this) Caroline vonB (associate of Gavin Friday; runs U2Log asked him, and Gavin Friday said it was not him, he doesn't even sing on it, it's all U2.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=136625706744

holy heteroclite: new U2 song of ascent: "Sing yourself right off your feet"

I loved the song from the beginning, it's definitely U2. Great intro. Just the way it kicks in after Space Oddity ...then the excitement builds, then Larry comes up on stage with the drum solo for Breathe ... what a way to start the show. Normally I like it more if all four guys of U2 come out on stage together, but the current opening is cool as well. Can't wait to find out more about the "new" U2 song. :up:

U2 makes a moody, dark song with circular guitars and new percussive rhythms for their style.

Interference complains that it "sounds like coldplay" (which shows you the depth of musical experience involved: non-western sounds+ambient singing and background = Eno's coldplay) and say that they wish Bono's voice was more apparent.

Bono logs onto Interference to see fan's reaction to that new song.

1,000 more years of I Know I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.

The armageddon clearly starts here, on a U2 site. Because only here could a hallmark of what makes U2 so good (constant change, growth, and desire to experiment) be labeled as "sounding like Coldplay."

U2 makes a moody, dark song with circular guitars and new percussive rhythms for their style.

Interference complains that it "sounds like coldplay" (which shows you the depth of musical experience involved: non-western sounds+ambient singing and background = Eno's coldplay) and say that they wish Bono's voice was more apparent.

Bono logs onto Interference to see fan's reaction to that new song.

1,000 more years of I Know I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.

The armageddon clearly starts here, on a U2 site. Because only here could a hallmark of what makes U2 so good (constant change, growth, and desire to experiment) be labeled as "sounding like Coldplay."

Though only one person commented that it sounded like Coldplay. Bono probably won't change his mind just on the opinion of one fan.

I don't think it sounds anything like Coldplay, they wouldn't be able to make anything as good as that in my opinion. :no:

not played song so i cant comment on what i think (speakers on blink in middle of fixing)
But if people do say it sounds similar to coldplay i dont see how thats a bad thing?
way i see it is u2 orinigal band of their music type end of.
coldplay to me have always seemed like "mini u2'" just the impression ive always got i like some songs of theres and i dont wanna upset anyone by saying they are like/wanna be like u2 its just how i feel about some songs

so really if this new u2 song is similar to a coldplay sound is it really like coldplay? or is it a u2 sound that has been "by popular demand" and an AWFUL lot of airplay in last few years on comericial music channels turned into a coldplay sound?

so like the music is doing a circle of bands...u2->coldplay>-u2 etc?
anyone get that logic?

my brain hurts now:hmm:

Wow, this sounds amazing! I love NLOTH but I understand why Eno was a bit upset about the band leaving alot of experimental stuff off the album, these things sound too good and creative to be left out. I'm glad they're doing Songs of Ascent, I want to hear more of this.

And this sounds as much as Coldplay as almost every other U2 song. They're similiar bands with similiar styles in music, and I personally don't think this sounds more like Coldplay than any other U2 song.

I want a full version so badly. If this is any indication of Songs of Ascent, I think we're looking at a really, really great album. Like Zooropa to AB.
I really can't wait, Kingdom could be one of the greatest U2 songs of the decade.

Can anyone tell me what the two songs before Bowie are? Especially the 2nd before, that song I really like and would love to get. great catchy tune!
And I've no clue what the one inbetween them is.

Wow, this sounds amazing! I love NLOTH but I understand why Eno was a bit upset about the band leaving alot of experimental stuff off the album, these things sound too good and creative to be left out. I'm glad they're doing Songs of Ascent, I want to hear more of this.

I just think about it too...
This song is really amazing and U2 is very damn smart to tease us with this :giggle:

I'm afraid that I wouldn't agree if Kingdom sounds like Coldplay, it sounds like Enoisme to me :hyper:

Anyhoo,
thank you for everyone who search for any info about this song :up:
It's getting very late here in my country and I can't help myself to continue reading this thread even with my snail connection :lol:

The opening song is in fact "Kingdom of Your Love" from the NLOTH sessions as noted by Willie Williams in today's tour blog:

U2.com > Sign In

OK, the show. Opening night, the big launch... and of course it went remarkably well. In some ways I'd never doubted it, having been so very confident about the strength of this idea since it popped into my head in New Zealand in 2006, but of course I'd never admit that until the first gig was well and truly in the bag. It was a warm, clear night and the stadium was packed to the rafters with a very rowdy audience who were chanting and doing Mexican waves before U2 were anywhere near the stage. At 10-ish the house lights went down and 'Kingdom of Your Love' came over the monster PA. Larry made his solo, spotlighted walk up the long rear ramp to the drum kit, with constellations of flash bulbs going off all over the stadium, then sat down. The audience was in full voice, but I could sense in there if not confusion, a curiosity as to what exactly was about to happen. Larry hammered out the opening to 'Breathe' as the others appeared and I enjoyed feeling the audience realise that this wasn't going to be as obvious an opening as we could have chosen. It felt good, new, fresh.

Back
Top Bottom