What songs should U2 drop and add??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drop:

Bullet the Blue Sky
One
NYD
SBS
Pride
BD
Still Haven't

Add:
HMTMKMKM
Levitate
Lady with the Spinning Head
Desire
So Cruel
MOFO
Miami
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Zooropa

I've only seen the Vertigo tour so from a pretty selfish point of view i'd like to hear a few songs i never heard then, maybe the likes of:

Discoteque
Bad
HMTMKMKM
Angel Of Harlem
EBTTRT

As for what to drop, a few i would go woud be:

New Years Day
Bullet
Mysterious ways

Am I the only one who feels the atmosphere would suffer if they dropped songs like Pride and Bullet, only to add more obscure songs? I'm not saying these are bad songs, far from it, but I dont think a lot of them are suited to stadium gigs.

Am I the only one who feels the atmosphere would suffer if they dropped songs like Pride and Bullet, only to add more obscure songs? I'm not saying these are bad songs, far from it, but I dont think a lot of them are suited to stadium gigs.

The sparse and slowed down version of Bullet that they did during the Vertigo tour actually was an atmosphere killer. So it wouldn't be missed.

Pride does get people up and rocking. But it needs to be given the boot anyway. The band need to move on. Find some other song to create a 'big moment' from. Should be possible. Compare a lack lustre version of Pride to a rocking version of Electric Co. The latter would be much better. Not as many people would immediately identify with Electric Co. but I'm sure it would create a better 'moment' since if played like on the Vertigo tour there's so much energy in it.

Drop : pride, one, bullet the blue sky, new years day, i will follow, sunday bloody sunday
Add : ultraviolet, one tree hill, unforgettable fire, a sort of homecoming, please, mofo, seconds, exit, god part II, do you feel loved.

drop- Pride, WOWY, Sunday bloody Sunday

Add- Love is Blindness, MLK, Unforgetable Fire, Red Hill Mining Town

as for BTBS- mmm it's one of my favourite U2 songs so i'd be sorry to see it go- that said I think it will be gone this time- since the pulled in some Boy/October tracks last time I'm guessing they'll dust off tracks from maybe Pop and UF this time round- I'd like to hear Gone and Staring at the Sun again

Out- Pride, Bullet, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Still Haven't Found, Running To Stand Still, Vertigo, Elevation, Miracle Drug, LAPOE, Yahweh

Rotate-Streets, One or Beautiful Day in an anthem slot to close the main set

In- Lemon, Last Night On Earth, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mofo, Discotheque, In God's Country, Love is Blindness, Wire, A Sort of Homecoming, God Part 2, Exit and above all ACROBAT

LOLZORZ.

Seriously though, may as well be asking for Slug and I Fall Down being played one after the other until the end of the gig. And I don't really know where people are getting this "rotating the warhorses" idea from. Great in principle (maybe), but the way U2 do a show is generally pretty structured, and only playing something like streets once every 3 nights would seriously disrupt any sort of flow.

Personally? I was always against the Bullet haters before, but it's time for it to go, especially after the lacklustre Vertigo performance. Still Haven't Found bores me to tears too, but I'm not sure how much they play that. One and Streets are staying for sure, as is Pride (MASSIVE crowd pleaser). Could probably do without WOWY, but again it's a huge crowd pleaser, and it's a great song. SBS and NYD could both go fairly easily I imagine, and I'd say at least one will. Please don't drop the Fly, I love it too much.

Songs coming in? You have to think of the album they're touring, so people saying UF are probably right on the money. I was thinking as well, now that Bono can seemingly play piano, could Zooropa get a look in? Would be a good encore intro methinks. Whoever said New York gets a big thumbs up, but it's probably unlikely. Please, pretty likely I imagine, maybe 1 more from Pop. Lemon would be great, but really how the hell would Bono sing it? Actually, Love is Blindness could get a look in, similar sound to the new album. Ish.

And to whoever said they should drop Bono's long rambling speeches... I love you. Killed any atmosphere from the end of streets, and made One boring (though I'm sure some people would argue it's boring enough :wink:). As well, was watching the Sao Paulo gig, and I honestly think the Pride->Streets could have worked if Bono hadn't made the crowd sing it for about 2 whole minutes. Funny, the talking over the intro didn't bother me as much.

Oh, and for the love of God, red screens + very very bright lights for the start of Streets again, please.

I really hope they get rid of Bullet ,I'm sick of hearing it live and its a crowd killer.
Also hope they dont play Love and Peace(Which they most likely wont ).
They are my only two pet hates.
I'd like to see them bring back a few old ones
Unforgettable Fire,Red Hill Mining Town,Gone,Lemon,Hold Me Thrill Me,Ultraviolet,Walk On.

To me One and Streets are the only untouchables. Because I like it when bands make sure they play the hits you want to hear because it's always someone's first U2 show.

I can like without them since I've seen them, but in general, I think those 2.

But I think U2 thinks it's ONE, STREETS, PRIDE, BEAUTIFUL DAY, VERTIGO.

That's my guess for 5 songs they will play every night as they try to draw in new/old.

I would love them to add (among many others...)

ELECTRICAL STORM
WINDOW IN THE SKIES
LEMON
DESIRE
TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE
DISCOTHEQUE
HEARTLAND
ACROBAT (still never live right?)
WILD HORSES
UV LIGHT MY WAY
A SORT OF HOMECOMING

This is very true. Alot of fans may have heard alot of these songs on previous tours, but it will always be somebody's first show. Like me! I want to hear all the classics and really would love to hear:

heartland
electrical storm
running to stand still
lemon
wild horses

I'm a big Bullet defender. It's easily their most rocking song and it went through changes unlike every other U2 song, so it always sounds fresh to my ears at the beginning of every tour. It did lose some steam as Vertigo went into its 3rd leg or so, since it didn't include bluesy improvisations from The Edge that was a highlight of Vertigo's early bootlegs for me.

The never-changing, tired old war horses like Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For or I Will Follow really need to rest. With or Without You, if it doesn't include some improvisation/guitar solo/extra verse/Bono not being bored at the end, should also exit, or at least put into rotation. Remove Elevation forever. And I wouldn't mind seeing Beautiful Day gone, although that is a longshot.

Add? The list is long. The Unforgettable Fire, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Exit, God Part II, Ultra Violet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Lemon, Stay (Faraway, So Close!), Dirty Day, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, MOFO, Last Night on Earth, Please, Gone...

Especially Acrobat. That needs to see the light of day.

LOLZORZ.

Seriously though, may as well be asking for Slug and I Fall Down being played one after the other until the end of the gig. And I don't really know where people are getting this "rotating the warhorses" idea from. Great in principle (maybe), but the way U2 do a show is generally pretty structured, and only playing something like streets once every 3 nights would seriously disrupt any sort of flow.

The thread is about what we would like to see dropped, not what we think will happen. I doubt they would rotate the warhorses. But since its a stadium tour and I know they will be done, I would like them to rotate them to give them more energy and to give the show a tad more unpredictability. I never said it would happen, but thats what I would like to happen. :shrug:

Need to be dropped:
SBS (was really tired last tour)
Bullet (peaked in about 1992)
WOWY (Bono can't sing this anymore, sorry)
Elevation (wasn't really all that worthy of 2 tours, definitely not 3)
Pride (just overplayed)
Dropping everything from 'BOMB' would be OK by me

Don't Drop:
One
Streets

Adds (wish list):
Ultraviolet
Lemon (if Bono can still pull off the falsetto...doubtful)
Acrobat
God II (if Bono's Lovetown voice returns...even more doubtful)
Hawkmoon 269 (see above)
One Tree Hill
Exit
A Sort of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Drowning Man
2 Hearts
October

STAPLES
WOWY, STREETS, ONE, BEAUTIFUL DAY, VERTIGO

Would love to hear
Mofo, Discotheque, Unforgetable Fire

oh yeah I forgot to say : DROP ELEVATION pleaseeee ...

Y drop Elevation?

On the last tour every time i went this was without doubt one of the crowds favourites every one was really into it. I would prefer a full on rock version right from the start though

Y drop Elevation?

On the last tour every time i went this was without doubt one of the crowds favourites every one was really into it. I would prefer a full on rock version right from the start though

Not really a fan of Elevation outside the live environment but it is a huge crowd favourite whenever they do it live. The crowd bounce to the chorus almost rivals the start of Streets.

Wouldn't mind seeing BTBS dropped, same can go for SBS (though maybe include it at Croke Park). Top of my wishlist for new old ones to come in would be The Unforgettable Fire and A Sort of Homecoming. Hope some of the Boy tracks get aired this time as well, how about Another Time Another Place, Twilight or Stories for Boys?

Y drop Elevation?

I always get the feeling the band really enjoy playing it:rockon:
I'd Much sooner drop Pride
And really want
Acrobat
Mofo
Exit
Dirty day

Drop:
Bullet (unless it can be jazzed up like the Zoo era version)
Pride - it just sounds a bit flabby now
NYD - Too long in the tooth
Mysterious Ways - a bit bored with it to be honest

Add:
Discotheque - A short sharp funky version (I just love the riff)
Ultraviolet - A great song..one of the highlights of AB
Exit

It's suppose it's always a struggle with stadium gigs in what the more casual fan likes compared to the more hard core of us.

BTBS needs to go!

There is no way they will drop Vertigo..but I think Elevation can go bye bye!

Drop:
Pride
Bullet the Blue Sky
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Mysterious Ways

Add/bring back:
Out of Control
Two Hearts Beat as One
Unforgettable Fire
In God's Country
Exit
God Part II
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Stay(full band)
Mofo
Walk On
Elevation(I like it and it doesn't matter what people think the crowds were really into it last tour)

I think they should drop all their 80's stuff (maybe keep 2 songs), 5 songs from NLOTH, and flood the setlist with 90's U2. I think the 90's sound fits better with this tour as the music was more poppy/techno-ish. The 360 stage I think will function better with the 90's stuff as the visuals/lights will be more appealing. The last tour was about their greatest hits which is why I think they'll drop a lot of it. I think they'll wanna play more 90's as its been neglected in the last 2 tours, and it was their most creative time (ZOOTV & POPmart) - and it looks like they're heading down that path again w/360.

Oh yes, please drop BTBS. And maybe SBS. I love that song, but it's one of those songs that can't be improvised too far from the original version. The best version of that song was definitely the one from Rattle and Hum, with Bono and his palpable anger. And I really don't want for another tragedy to happen for Bono to get back that rage in him... So I'll do without SBS for this year's tour.

And drop NYD. Sorry, just personal taste, I never really liked that song.

I really want to see:
When I Look At the World - I don't even need the exact album version. The snippet they tried in Kansas City in 2001 was good...
Lemon - highly unlikely that Bono would belt out his falsetto voice
If God Will Send His Angels - :drool: oh please do this song, I'll even take acoustic at this point!
One - yes, this has been in the last two tours, but what I really want is the stripped down, bare version that is raw and scratches your soul. In the last 2 tours, this song was too dressed up (if that makes any sense)
SYCMIOYO - um, preferably without that giant cartoon figure of a man walking endlessly through the entire song.
PopMuzik/Mofo - there's not enough love for these songs...

Back
Top Bottom