What songs should stay next year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the new album:

To Stay:
Get on your boots
No Line On The Horizon
Crazy Tonight Remix
Unknown Caller

To Go:
Magnificent - The more they play this the worse it sounds, just totally flat live.
Moment of surrender - If they do keep this at least dont let it finish of the show
Breathe - Complete garbage

To Be Played:
Winter - Linear version, Winter>Bad>Streets = :drool:
Stand up comedy

Keep:
UNKNOWN CALLER- Make the last chorus more defined & powerful instead of drifting off.
Magnificent- Play it like the beginning of the tour
Beautiful Day- Bring the Celtic intro back!
Unforgettable Fire- Awesome- But Bono needs to find a chorus and stick with it! Some nights he does it well, the others it sounds like filler.
Ultraviolet- Don't change a thing.
Streets- My favorite song- a tiny bit more passion from Bono and I'm happy.
With Or Without You- Sing with passion or drop it already. One of the most meaningful, heartfelt songs ever written, and Bono sounds bored singing it!
MOS- Save the ooohhhs for the end! (And maybe give Edge a longer solo? Please?)
Sunday Bloody Sunday- Usually I don't care for this song live- but damn its been going off on this tour!

Lose:
Crazy Tonight Remix- This is terrible. Absolute garbage. Sorry to all of you that like it, but to me this ruins a great pop song by making it an out of key trance song with long, awkward pauses between each line of the verses. I loved Pop, but this is like the Diet Sam's Club to Pop's Coke Classic.
Breathe- Sing the entire song like it sounded on the record and promo tour or drop it.
NLOTH- Doesn't do well live.
Elevation- Enough already with the damn moles in holes with souls! GAH!
Vertigo- Not bad, but too similar to 'Get on your Boots'.
Pride- Done.
COBL- Bleh. I loved it on the Vertigo tour, but the song has little lasting power, and I would love to never hear it again.

Add:
The Fly
Wild Horses
Please
Gone
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
ANYTHING from Zooropa
and bring Electrical Storm back!

So, if the new album comes out indeed before the 3rd leg starts (doubtful), I'm assuming some songs from NLOTH will be scrapped. If this indeed happens, I would keep Moment of Surrender, Breathe and No Line on the Horizon in. For the old songs, Ultra Violet, The Unforgettable Fire and Where the Streets Have No Name should stay as far as regulars are concerned, and I wouldn't mind seeing Bad, Your Blue Room and Electrical Storm being played more often.

Hearing Still haven't found live makes me really happy for some reason, so as long as that song plus Ultraviolet, Bad and City of Blinding Lights are in I don't care what they replace ;x

Crazy , remix or normal version isboth cool. and UV, Or they should play the amsterdam 27th setlist.
Keep MOS too, that was so pretty.

They should play Streets as it was played from Joshua Tree > Elevation (in that key)..With or Without You should be sung better..UV better stay, Breathe should go, but they should stay with the Space Oddity/Kingdom intro. The Fly should come back (a la Elevation key) or ZOOTV/Vertigo key. Either way, I just want that song. In my opinion, Bono needs to sing most of the songs better... (bring back Electrical Storm please).

More rockers in general. I would like to see them give Stand up comedy a chance as well. Electrical storm needs to come back they never gave it the whole chance it deserved it kept getting better everytime they played it.

And a lot more songs from POP. That album needs to be played it deserves it. Songs like Gone, LNOE, Please (especially this one), discotheque (vertigo style) are amon U2's top songs they just need to lay off their attitude towards POP it has aged so well.

Breathe
NLOTH
Magnificent
Boots
UC
UV
TUF
COBL
Walk On
SBS
Streets
MOS

Please bring back ES and YBR.

Not as many songs from the latest album, less atyclb songs. Keep Unforgettable Fire & Ultraviolet & bring in at least one pop song regularly, eg Gone.

As long as they take 5 songs from ATYCLB down to 1 or 2 I'll be happy. Still can't belive they played that many ATYCLB songs on the 360 tour.

And "One" needs a break.

Get rid of all ATYCLB songs bar Beautiful Day (because BD keeps the casual fans happy)
Of the NLOTH songs, keep all bar UC and MOS (neither of which really work in my view) and perhaps add Being Born.
Remove One, With Or Without You and Angel of Harlem (but keep SBS and SHF)

Replace ATYCLB songs with 90s tracks to weight the show more towards that decade. Candidates include Gone, HTMTMKMKM and Mofo with Stay featuring more regularly.
Replace others with different eighties songs- AIWIY would be a popular choice and Two Hearts Beat As One would go down well with the older fans. I think there's a case for IWF, too.

More rockers in general. I would like to see them give Stand up comedy a chance as well. Electrical storm needs to come back they never gave it the whole chance it deserved it kept getting better everytime they played it.

And a lot more songs from POP. That album needs to be played it deserves it. Songs like Gone, LNOE, Please (especially this one), discotheque (vertigo style) are amon U2's top songs they just need to lay off their attitude towards POP it has aged so well.

:up: x 100 ! You're right about ES (I forgot about that) and I agree with your vioews on Pop. It still sounds fresh and the songs are perfect for the 360 set-up. But I'm not convinced they'd bring them back.

You have about as much chance as Acrobrat on this one...

DYFL just never worked live.

I agree inasmuch as they almost certainly won't play it. All the same, I heard potential in the live version of DYFL. Had they worked at it a bit more, it might have won more people over. I guess the same applies to Electrical Storm.

Bring back:
Mofo/Please/The Fly/Love is blindness

Move:
Magnificent to later part of the show/No Line On the Horizon to permanent mid show spot

Drop:
Breathe/Stuck/Unknown/City/Boots

Change to Permanent:
Until the end of the world/ Bad

Extend/Improve:
Mysterious ways/

Do You Feel Loved definitely had some promising performances. The Tempe video zoopop posted and the Eugene, Oregon show were both decent.

Edited update: Tempe is by far the best. Not absolutely mind blowing by any means, but much, much faster and tighter than any other performance of DYFL.

Overall, though, I agree with BVS. I would almost put this in the impossible category as far as songs that have a chance at returning. I am not completely doom and gloom here- I actually think Please, MOFO, Gone and LNOE all have good shots on 360!

It is just that DYFL, while most certainly(IMHO) is one of the underrated U2 studio gems, they just never worked out an arrangement for it live. I am racking my brain, but I still can not come up with another example of U2 starting out a tour intending to make a song from the newest album a regular and then dropping it after a hand full of shows never to be touched again. It usually takes a leg or 2 for them to ditch a new song, if at all, and then it is usually replaced with another new song.

That does nothing to diminish the song. I think DYFL still sounds fresh today and it probably had a good amount of influence on Magnificent. In fact, when I first heard Magnificent, I thought its 3 biggest influences were ASOH, Wild Horses and DYFL.

Do You Feel Loved definitely had some promising performances. The Tempe video zoopop posted and the Eugene, Oregon show were both decent.

Edited update: Tempe is by far the best. Not absolutely mind blowing by any means, but much, much faster and tighter than any other performance of DYFL.

Overall, though, I agree with BVS. I would almost put this in the impossible category as far as songs that have a chance at returning. I am not completely doom and gloom here- I actually think Please, MOFO, Gone and LNOE all have good shots on 360!

It is just that DYFL, while most certainly(IMHO) is one of the underrated U2 studio gems, they just never worked out an arrangement for it live. I am racking my brain, but I still can not come up with another example of U2 starting out a tour intending to make a song from the newest album a regular and then dropping it after a hand full of shows never to be touched again. It usually takes a leg or 2 for them to ditch a new song, if at all, and then it is usually replaced with another new song.

That does nothing to diminish the song. I think DYFL still sounds fresh today and it probably had a good amount of influence on Magnificent. In fact, when I first heard Magnificent, I thought its 3 biggest influences were ASOH, Wild Horses and DYFL.

Yes, I agree with you. The problem with the live version of DYFL was that it lacked propulsion, and in a stadium that is a major concern so I do understand why they dropped it, even though I feel it might have worked eventually. But the studio version is superb in my view.

Whats even crazier is U2 picked DYFL (Vegas) for the Popmart speical. Though thinking back that might have been the best performance of all the Pop songs played that night.

Back
Top Bottom