U2's odd stance on the War album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I'm okay with Elevation. It's fun to bounce around to when you're actually at a show, and the crowd loves it. However, I do feel it could stand to be rotated with another "rocker", such as The Fly or (Interference pipe dream time!) God Pt. II.

I can't stand Elevation in any other setting but live. The simple fact is, it does, as the kids say, move the crowd. Big time. Having said that, the lyrics aren't entirely meaningless either.

I actually like Two Hearts quite alot and would like to see it return, even if I know deep down that it would have to be in an entirely different key for Bono to sing now. Having said that, I don't find the lyrics particularly meaningful, it's about as light pop/dance fluff as U2 gets. And it's fun.

But even with all that said, I wouldn't be silly enough to say that Two Hearts would have the same effect on a 2011 crowd as Elevation. That's just an assertion thats unsupported by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, sorry.

The problem with these types of arguments is the idea that song A can only be inserted at the expense of song B. And the ironic thing about it this time around is it's being posited by someone who claims to want more "rockier" setlists. Here's a novel idea: how about not having to choose between either of the two songs, but instead ask us to pick between Two Hearts and any one of the 4-6 songs that U2 continues to bring the show to a grinding halt with, like, say, In A Little While. There's a stronger case for including a song like Two Hearts at the expense of a song like In A Little While, than there is for including it at the expense of a song like Elevation.

The fact is, Two Hearts is not a suitable replacement for Elevation, period. I'm not sure any other U2 song is, but it probably could take a break for a leg or two. It's not like I'm going to say "OMG how could U2 have NOT played Elevation!!111!11 :sad: " :lol:

Look, don't just take Two Hearts as an example.

I offered that as a replacement for Elevation, but obviously, that was me. I never said it would have the same effect on the crowd as Elevation, I don't know what effect it would have. Obviously.

I see no conflict between wanting rockier set lists and dropping Elevation. It's hardly the only rocker U2 has done.

That being said, GVOX,Miss Sarajevo could go, fine by me. Same with Walk On. I quite like IALW but I know I am in the minority.

Salome made a not too well thought out statement that he highly doubts ANY song could get a crowd going like Elevation. That's what I responded to.

I can think of Vertigo, Pride, BD, SBS, Mysterious Ways, Streets, NYD, the list goes on of songs that got just as good a reaction as Elevation. This is the 360 tour only.

Two Hearts would work better than people think. A good, fun song performed energetically can work well. Even if some don't know it. See Electric Co in 2005. It's not like it is an obscure song, it was a single, a moderate hit, well known among long time fans.

I think 2 Hearts perfectly combines new wave/dance influences of the time with the raw, aggressive sound of early U2.

The bottom line, as GVOX said, is we don't necessarily have to suggest song A and then say "OMG, now we have to get rid of Song B!!!!!!!!"

All I am saying is someway, somewhere, U2 should find a way to represent War better. It's long overdue and 2 Hearts would be a relatively reasonable candidate.

Don't agree, fine.

It doesn't bother me, contrary to popular opinion.

^^

Well, if we're talking about number of people jumping up and down, then I agree with you.

There are, however, other ways that crowds enthusiastically respond to songs.

I think some people who went to shows before 2001(i.e. not me) could better tell us the shocking story of how U2 crowds were fine before Elevation was released.

I will never buy the whole "Elevation is different" line. Sorry.

Salome made a not too well thought out statement that he highly doubts ANY song could get a crowd going like Elevation. That's what I responded to.
it's not about getting the crowd going
Pride could do that (except for a couple dozen disgruntled interferencers)

but Elevation gets the entire crowd jumping, woohoo-ing, smiling and having a great time

in my experience, over the last 20 years, it's quite a singular song in U2's live repertoire

:shrug:

^^

:lol:
:lol:

As for the "singular" status of Elevation, cue I Will Follow!

Same reaction you describe, even in 2010!

Not to mention, Edge looks like a kid in a candy store when he plays it.

it probably comes closest
but not the same no
if only for the lack of woo-hoos

Talking about the crowd reaction.

That doesn't require the songs be carbon copies for it to be similar.

Let's all get real here.

I maybe shouldn't have brought Elevation into this thread, sorry. I thought I was safe in this 90s worshipping forum, but alas:wink:

Maybe, as GVOX correctly points out, I shouldn't have suggested any song at all to ax.

But lets stop dissecting every single song put out there that the crowd goes nuts for to see if it is the exact same as Elevation. That is just pointless. Different songs can get people going for different reasons.

Also, I've found a way to update Seconds! If I can do this, U2 could do it and do it much better!

"USA, KO-REE-AHH(N/S Korea), London, New York, Beijing....."

meh.ro3106.jpg

U2 still play IALW every night. It must be good then.

Epic argument. Even the band have some shitty ideas sometimes.

It must be good enough for them, yes. It gets a better crowd reaction than YBR, too.

That would be two very valid arguments. Certainly a tad better than weak dismissals in the "epic/sci-fi/fantasy" teritorry.

I doubt that IALW gets a good crowd reaction. I've nver seen it happen, that's for sure.

And if it's good enough for U2, doesn't mean that we have to like it no matter what. Hate to repeat myself, but them playing IALW every night shows enough.

I doubt that IALW gets a good crowd reaction. I've nver seen it happen, that's for sure.

And if it's good enough for U2, doesn't mean that we have to like it no matter what. Hate to repeat myself, but them playing IALW every night shows enough.

On DVD it looks like the crowd liked it enough. YBR by most acounts was a massive beer break song. Much like MS on Vertigo tour.

Interference seemed to like the song well enough up until now, so the song didn't suddenly became bad. It's probably the "overplayed song" sindrome which happens with a lot of other U2 songs live. (If something can be overplayed in its third tour, and when the song has skipped pretty much all of Vertigo tour)
There are more overplayed worthy candidates from that album (Elevation, Stuck and Walk on, to name three) but different folks, different strokes. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom