U2 will have a new opening song in 2010, confirmed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From atu2:

Confirming what many fans have suspected, U2 360 Tour Designer Willie Williams said this week that this year's shows will have a different opening than last year's concerts. Williams made the comments Thursday during an interview on Cleveland's WBWC radio station. He didn't specify what the exact changes would be, nor which song will open the upcoming shows, but he did say the band feels a need to make some changes to keep the shows fresh.

On our forum and elsewhere online, fans have speculated that "Breathe" would be dropped as the show opener ever since the song was known to have been edited out of the main sequence of the upcoming U2 360 Live at the Rose Bowl DVD.

:hmm: So what do you think ? Will they open with Boots, like DVD, or something else (if so, what song?) ?

I hope NLOTH gets the chance to open.

NLOTH and Fez would both be perfect.

Just hope they don't reprise the Magnificent experiment of Boston II.

Interesting news:hmm: Although I hope it's true, I can't see them going any further than Get on Your Boots. NLOTH would be great but I can't see Bono playing guitar for the first song. Maybe Axver can help me...has he ever played guitar on the first song?

Any way a while back I had a dream they opened with Never Let Me Go (of all songs, I know). One day when they can only play in cabaret clubs I hope they open with this song. We can only hope:lol:

NLOTH would be great but I can't see Bono playing guitar for the first song. Maybe Axver can help me...has he ever played guitar on the first song?

It's very rare but it has happened. All eight times Hawkmoon 269 opened, Bono played guitar.

(And personally, I'd rate Hawkmoon 269 as U2's greatest opener alongside 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Streets.)

Also, although it never actually happened at a public gig, prior to the third leg of ZooTV, U2 rehearsed a new concert opener with Bono performing Acrobat solo on guitar, seguing into a full band Zoo Station.

And let's not forget that Bono seems to enjoy "wearing" a guitar ...! :laugh:

I reckon it's gonna be Boots, but I still hope they'll debut Fez at some point. It would be the most epic opener of this tour.

Glad to hear there is another opener.

I honestly like Axver's Until The End of The World>>>>> No Line On The Horizon opening.

They don't always have to open with a new song, just keep them up front and make sure they're not after thoughts.

More realistic would obviously be NLOTH or Boots, and of the two, I'd rather NLOTH.

I don't get the whole Fez/Being Born craze at all.

People were lost enough when Breathe opened followed by a bunch of new songs.

It would definitely be a surprise if they opened with something not on No Line. Based on how few people out there seem to be familiar with the new songs, maybe a non-NLOTH song as an opening would have the crowd more into it, if that's what they're interested in.

I think it could work, but I understand wanting to open with the album you're actually touring behind.

Opening songs are great to use new songs because u dont have to worry about it being familiar, because the crowd is amped at the start of the show period, that's probably they opened with Breathe, because anywhere else in the set it might not have gotten that kind of reaction. I think it'll still be a NLOTH song, likely Boots, which IMHO should have been opening anyway, that let me in the sound intro is too amazing not to use to build tension. But i also think maybe ...and ur gonna hate this, Stand Up Comedy has a shot lol

A few openers I'd like to hear that would also fit into the show. Although maybe not that realistic...

1. MOFO
2. Discotheque (Vertigo tour version)
3. FEZ/Being Born
4. Wire
5. Acrobat (this one is never gonna happen...)
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Even Better Than The Real Thing

I would love for them to debut Fez as an opener! Or at lease as an encore. I also think Stand Up Comedy could be a very cool opener....Bono shouting Stand Up would be almost over the top! It will likely be Boots for no other reason than to be consistent with the new DVD. But then again.....the boys have been known to surprise me. I never wold have called Breathe as an opener.

The news refer "a new song". Why can't this "a new song" really be "a new song", which means a new recording or something not included in NLOTH and that emphatizes the theory of the new releasement soon?

Does it have to be a NLOTH song, though? For me, Zoo Station remains the mother of all concert openers (with Queen's One Vision as the father) and I would like to see it reprised. Otherwise, Boots is the best option.

I'm with Aygo... If U2 is indeed going to "road test" some songs, why not bust it right out of the gate? If I had to put money on it, I'd say Boots but I really hope that doesn't happen. I'd also rather not see a previous tour opener slide into 360, although it could be cool to see them dip back into the catalogue and whip out something obscure, i.e. "Like a Song." Springsteen seems to like opening up with deep cuts & b-sides, which the psycho fans love.

But back to opening with a brand new song... has anyone here actually heard "Every Breaking Wave" and if so, how would that play as an opener? It's described as a surging anthem, which seems to fit with previous openers like COBL and Streets.

Only Rolling Stone has heard EBW.

Please be something new, or at the very least be Kingdom looped and then finished full-band.

^^ Great performance!!

Boots would make for a killer opener. Have Bono march to the tip of the outer circle with "Let me in sound" intro. Crowd would go crazy.

I hope its one of the following:

Being Born
NLOTH
Boots

SUC might work too :hmm:

:up: for Boots opening. Also a vote to surprise us with Boots again after MOS to close the show, just to end it on something with a little more octane.

:up: for Boots opening. Also a vote to surprise us with Boots again after MOS to close the show, just to end it on something with a little more octane.

Vertigo x2 wasn't enough for you?

Didn't think anybody was a fan of U2 playing the same song twice when they have such a huge back catalogue.

If they closed with Boots (which I don't think would necessarily suck), they certainly shouldn't open with it...I can't imagine why they would waste a valuable spot in the setlist with a repeat when they have hundreds of songs to chose from. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that this actually happened :huh:

Logically speaking, I think it'll be Boots or Magnificent...maybe Foxboro 2 was like a test run of Magnificent as an opener. Lots of people seem to want Fez to open, which is interesting...usually the songs they open with are a bit more high-energy, at least it seems to me.

Back
Top Bottom