U2 intro song/1st song wish-list 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But didn't U2 rehearse EBTTRT closer to the Perfecto mix, rather than closer to the ZooTv/Popmart version? I think it would be perfect to replace that attrocious Crazy Tonight remix.

I will say this: Kingdom is a fantastic intro song...
reaction_guy.jpg

...it's Breathe that's a bad opener.
gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

Well, I liked it, at least. That being said, I'm actually pretty pumped to see what the new opener is...GOYB would be pretty cool, though I'd prefer to see something completely new.

But didn't U2 rehearse EBTTRT closer to the Perfecto mix, rather than closer to the ZooTv/Popmart version? I think it would be perfect to replace that attrocious Crazy Tonight remix.

Yeah but remember they also rehearsed Sunday Bloody Sunday and Mysterious Ways in an acoustic form and they never saw the light of day. And although people are divided over Crazy Tonight (I personally love it), I doubt the band will drop it. By the looks of it every time they play it, it brings the house down.

After listening to Rivergoats Organic Nudity Mix, it occured to me for the first time thinking how it would be interesting to see an extended intro of Stand Up Comedy opening the show.

Imagine having the part where Bono is saying "Stand up...this is comedy" looped in this remix sounding over the PA system, but exchanging it for "Stand Up...to rockstars" repeated over and over. Then the band walks onstage much like they did for Breathe. Edge sets off the siren (also used for Vertigo), Larry plays his marching beat, Adam does the funky bass thing of the middle-eight and Bono comes onstage, working the crowd ("Stand up! Stand up!") before starting the song.

Come to think of it, it's kind of similar to Beautiful Day opening the Elevation Tour show in South Bend 2001:
YouTube - Beautiful Day (Elevation live from SouthBend)

Alternatively, how about using the chorus in "For Your Love" for the PA-intro :D
It could serve as quite the metaphor; "I'm coming to the surface for your love", especially considering the circumstances of U2's return to the stage in August.

Imagine having the part where Bono is saying "Stand up...this is comedy" looped in this remix sounding over the PA system, but exchanging it for "Stand Up...to rockstars" repeated over and over. Then the band walks onstage much like they did for Breathe. Edge sets off the siren (also used for Vertigo), Larry plays his marching beat, Adam does the funky bass thing of the middle-eight and Bono comes onstage, working the crowd ("Stand up! Stand up!") before starting the song.
Coupled with a good intro video, I could imagine this being pretty awesome. Besides, it's about time SUC got played live...they've been selling T-shirts for it at shows for ages now, and it's one of those songs you just know would be better live than recorded.

I will say this: Kingdom is a fantastic intro song, it's Breathe that's a bad opener.

I didn't mind Breathe, but I do think they should try NLOTH. It would be a great energetic opener, with maybe a little extended intro. Kingdom (I mean Soon) stays of course...

And Boots (as on the DVD) is a very cliche choice. Works as an early song, but not opening, much like Vertigo.

Besides the usual hardcore fan wishes for them to open with a jaw dropping esoteric tune like Two Hearts or Acrobat :drool: - which would make my life, I was thinking about what may be possible for a "reality wish list."

Obviously IMO a Boots intro and full song would work and to me do better than Breathe but.....

What about Larry coming out and starting the drum solo part (we are thinking "shit! Breathe again?") and then changing the cadence to the drums from Desire. A full band rock your balls off version of Desire would be BA. The crowd would go ape shit. Then go ahead with the NLOTH stuff and whatever. Any other thoughts that would be cool? Obviously not a prediction thread!

I am way behind on this, but I wanted to say I think this is a really great idea!

Fake Breathe and rip into Desire full band!

It would do a hell of a lot to ease some of the confusion that was undoubtedly there for many casuals when U2 decided to play 4 NLOTH songs before they heard anything they knew.

I am not suggesting just do the hits, or not to emphasize the new up front, I am simply saying out of the first 5 or 6, make sure everyone will recognize 1 or 2. Like MOFO-I Will Follow on Popmart. U2 were very well aware given the reception for Pop that casuals and some long time die hards not sold on the album would be a bit thrown by the extremely different MOFO to start the show. So they put the old, can't go wrong with classic right there with it and it made brilliant thematic sense. Then Real Thing from the well known AB album, then right to a string of Pop songs.

That's how you deal with an album like NLOTH- same way as Popmart- you play the new stuff near the start and right in a row if you'd like, but make sure something is mixed in so that you have everyone's attention.

My cousin was at Boston 1 9/20, and all I kept thinking was "she must be up there lost." Don't get me wrong, she has good taste in music and appreciates more than the hits- she's no dumbass and was completely able to appreciate Breathe, Magnificent and especially, NLOTH. But I vividly remember hearing Edge's first note in Mysterious Ways and thinking "it took 17 minutes for them to play a song Erin's heard before, thats not U2!"

If they must start with a new song, let it be GOYB. If they want to be less predictable and start with an oldie, they should bring back Zoo Station or Mofo.

Back
Top Bottom