U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was more a general point regarding recent output being the shadow of the eighties material, to be honest. The actual setlist is fairly favourably selected for me to say it's NOT a glaring step down; weak eighties picks (be they weak studio songs like THBAO or ISHFWILF, or songs rubbish live these days, like Pride or WOWY) vs two of NLOTH's better songs. Almost any other conceivable selection, and the step down really is glaring to me. For the record, I think NLOTH is a scorching live track, but Magnificent is not half what the eighties anthems are, and much like its ancestor Pride, it isn't as good live as studio.

As a cynical reviewer, I would suggest the first encore represents the true bottom of a nosediving career, with the second encore a well-meaning attempt to climb back to previous heights.

Well, your dislike for most of the output post 80s is well known.

As for THBAO and Still Haven't... being weak studio tracks, I can't agree there at all.

I am not asking you to explain yourself, we just have a difference of taste.

I just don't see how a reviewer who is supposed to put his/her personal tastes aside and judge on how well the songs work, did they resonate, were they successful, are they musically interesting, could conclude that U2 is in decline.

Of course, as U2387 and Axver only, we both agree that we'd take One Tree Hill and The Unforgettable Fire over Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights any day.

I would suspect from reading other posts of yours that we disagree strongly on the particular merits of COBL and BD, but we'd both given our choice, have One Tree Hill and UF first.

However, in terms of the general public/mainstream reviewers, U2's 2000s work being put at the end of a career track progression will not be a big deal at all like some suggest. That was the original point I was making, and I don't want to veer too far off it to get into an endless debate over what amounts to personal taste.

U2 in the 2000s is as critically acclaimed as U2 in any decade, and maybe even more so than the 90s. I don't agree as I put Bomb near the bottom of my list, but I can pull up in 5 seconds many, many reviews who hailed it as a return to U2's glory days. One reviewer even suggested it was better than JT and AB!!!!

Finally, you say Magnificent is a weak live track and unless we are talking about the Promo tour, I am with you 110%! Way too slow and often flat live.

Overall, we're pretty kindred spirits, being as vocally sick as I am of U2 playing 5 ATYCLB songs every night and forgetting they existed pre 1984!

Hope I cleared some things up, Ax!

I just don't see how a reviewer who is supposed to put his/her personal tastes aside and judge on how well the songs work, did they resonate, were they successful, are they musically interesting, could conclude that U2 is in decline.

I don't think it really is possible to put your personal tastes aside when reviewing music, which may be where we fundamentally disagree. No matter what you write or how "objective" you try to be (and is there even objectivity in music?), your tastes and biases are going to seep through. If you think a song is rubbish, your perspective isn't going to really change whether you base it on personal enjoyment or some more objective criteria relating to its structure or content, since your personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) is based directly on those criteria.

I especially don't like this idea of judging how well a song works (not saying you do this, but I see the media and some people here doing it) by how "into it" the crowd are on the basis of sing-alongs and clapping the rhythm. Of course more people are going to sing and clap along with ISHFWILF than Exit. Exit isn't a song you can really sing or clap along to. That doesn't mean it resonates less or isn't as successful. Just look at The Electric Co. taking stadium crowds by storm.

I would suspect from reading other posts of yours that we disagree strongly on the particular merits of COBL and BD, but we'd both given our choice, have One Tree Hill and UF first.

Well, yes, no doubt re: taking OTH and UF. As for COBL and BD, I just don't know. Long-term members of the forum will remember that I loved COBL on its release, but now it just doesn't make me feel much any more, and BD I'm pretty unmoved by. I don't dislike either, but I wouldn't miss them if they were never played again.

However, in terms of the general public/mainstream reviewers, U2's 2000s work being put at the end of a career track progression will not be a big deal at all like some suggest. That was the original point I was making, and I don't want to veer too far off it to get into an endless debate over what amounts to personal taste.

Fair enough, and I take the point. I don't think it would look too much like a decline if all you're there for is to hear some sufficiently catchy songs with strong hooks. I do feel there would be a noticeable deterioration in depth, though. If you hit people with a bunch of songs like NYD, Bad, Streets, and such, then follow it up with COBL and Vertigo ... do you see what I'm getting at?

(And because I've got a few spare minutes ...)

I really do like the idea of some sort of chronological setlist. So, you know, I thought I'd just mess around and post my own. 2 songs from each album/era (and the essential closer of Bad/40 on top of that). The flow isn't the best, but such are the perils of chronological ordering.

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
2. Out Of Control (or I Will Follow; either will do)
3. Rejoice
4. Gloria
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
6. New Year's Day
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. A Sort Of Homecoming
9. Streets
10. One Tree Hill
11. Hawkmoon 269
12. God Part II
13. The Fly
14. Until The End Of The World
15. Stay
16. Dirty Day
17. Please
18. Gone

19. Beautiful Day
20. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
21. City Of Blinding Lights
22. Fast Cars

23. No Line On The Horizon
24. Being Born
25. Bad/40

I bet you the casual punter won't go home disappointed in the slightest, the diehards will be wetting themselves, and the cynical man-on-the-street who wants Bono to shut up but isn't overtly hostile to the music may well be won over.

I don't think it really is possible to put your personal tastes aside when reviewing music, which may be where we fundamentally disagree. No matter what you write or how "objective" you try to be (and is there even objectivity in music?), your tastes and biases are going to seep through. If you think a song is rubbish, your perspective isn't going to really change whether you base it on personal enjoyment or some more objective criteria relating to its structure or content, since your personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) is based directly on those criteria.

True. Your biases will slip into anything you write, be it a political, artistic, literary or advice piece that is supposedly neutral.

What I maybe should have said is that anyone without an ax to grind, be it for or against U2, would be able to give a well played set like the career progression a thumbs up even if they make clear that certain songs don't do it for them.
I especially don't like this idea of judging how well a song works (not saying you do this, but I see the media and some people here doing it) by how "into it" the crowd are on the basis of sing-alongs and clapping the rhythm. Of course more people are going to sing and clap along with ISHFWILF than Exit. Exit isn't a song you can really sing or clap along to. That doesn't mean it resonates less or isn't as successful. Just look at The Electric Co. taking stadium crowds by storm.

Well put! I have always considered myself to be a pretty keen observer, so I have been able to pick up on the fact that stadiums greatly enjoyed performances of Exit and Electric Co.

In fact, if you download the 12/20/87 bootleg from JT Tempe, as Exit starts, you can clearly hear some guy say "this song fucking rules, man!"

That has always stuck in my mind.

Well, yes, no doubt re: taking OTH and UF. As for COBL and BD, I just don't know. Long-term members of the forum will remember that I loved COBL on its release, but now it just doesn't make me feel much any more, and BD I'm pretty unmoved by. I don't dislike either, but I wouldn't miss them if they were never played again.

Same here. I wouldn't mind them missing some shows, but I am a realist and I know that 2 of U2's better known and critically acclaimed songs of the past decade will most likely get played every night going forward.

I am with you, though, if they tossed out BD for IGC some night, I would be ecstatic and not miss BD!

Fair enough, and I take the point. I don't think it would look too much like a decline if all you're there for is to hear some sufficiently catchy songs with strong hooks. I do feel there would be a noticeable deterioration in depth, though. If you hit people with a bunch of songs like NYD, Bad, Streets, and such, then follow it up with COBL and Vertigo ... do you see what I'm getting at?

Yes, I see what you are getting it regarding depth.

U2 definitely reached a high point of literal, cliche lyricism on HTDAAB.

You and I can agree to disagree on whether recent work can satisfy someone looking for more than a catchy song with a strong hook.

COBL may not have the depth of ASOH or Bad, but the lyrics are very well written and have a lot of meaning, I think.

Vertigo to its credit does not try to be any more than a fun song with a catchy hook, but as we know, the theme of temptation, etc at least gives it more meaning than some would suggest.

I think this is why us super fans have a difference of opinion with critics on songs like COBL and Vertigo. We actually listen to songs like ASOH, NYD and Bad on a daily basis and have something to compare those songs to.

I think the critics are considering COBL/Vertigo in the general music or U2 by numbers context, where they stack up pretty well.

So I think it comes down to: blue crack super fans generally know and appreciate most the incredible depth of U2's songwriting in the past, but just because this depth is not as present as it once was does not mean the songs are any less in most people's eyes, critics included. Again, this is why I don't think it will be a problem in Glastonbury.

As much as I love both tracks and am all for U2 remaining relevant and promoting new material, I would like someone to shoot me in the head if they ever hear me make the claim that COBL stacks up to Bad or NYD or One Tree Hill.

Axver. I may be a LITTLE drunk after a night out but i'll just come out and say it. I love you (or perhaps your forum persona?) and the things you post here. Usually you are the only person here who'll step up and pop any overinflated bubble die-hards may have inflated themselves with ANYTHING, never mind setlists....but I will happily chew my own fucking testicles if U2 EVER play a setlist like that........EVER! :huh:

in your opinion.

in my opinion, placing Magnificent with those songs is blasphemous.

see?

i for one, would definitely not want a chronological setlist like that. ew

Ok, to each his own.

I will just suggest that you start a homemade playlist with Magnificent and then follow it up with something like ASOH-Gloria-IGC or NYD-Pride-IGC or IWF-Gloria or whatever, you get the idea.

I think you'll find they sound pretty good together.

Axver. I may be a LITTLE drunk after a night out but i'll just come out and say it. I love you (or perhaps your forum persona?) and the things you post here. Usually you are the only person here who'll step up and pop any overinflated bubble die-hards may have inflated themselves with ANYTHING, never mind setlists....but I will happily chew my own fucking testicles if U2 EVER play a setlist like that........EVER! :huh:

Haha, thanks? Would sincerely love to know what you so dislike about it.

What I maybe should have said is that anyone without an ax to grind, be it for or against U2, would be able to give a well played set like the career progression a thumbs up even if they make clear that certain songs don't do it for them.

And this is where we diverge. I can easily see somebody fairly neutral, no particular ties to the band, no axes to grind, coming away with the feeling that although U2 have become more adept at the formula, they have lost the feeling. Beautiful Day and Vertigo may nail their styles like few other tracks ever have, but they sure as hell aren't New Year's Day or With Or Without You or I Will Follow.

Well put! I have always considered myself to be a pretty keen observer, so I have been able to pick up on the fact that stadiums greatly enjoyed performances of Exit and Electric Co.

In fact, if you download the 12/20/87 bootleg from JT Tempe, as Exit starts, you can clearly hear some guy say "this song fucking rules, man!"

That has always stuck in my mind.

Bringing back Exit would cover for a multitude of sins. That tore apart stadiums on JT and I cannot fathom why it has been forgotten since.

Same here. I wouldn't mind them missing some shows, but I am a realist and I know that 2 of U2's better known and critically acclaimed songs of the past decade will most likely get played every night going forward.

I don't believe COBL will be around forever (if it's done every show of the next tour, I'll be surprised), but I have to agree on Beautiful Day. I just hope it never becomes the worn and tired old workhorse that One and WOWY have become.

You and I can agree to disagree on whether recent work can satisfy someone looking for more than a catchy song with a strong hook.

COBL may not have the depth of ASOH or Bad, but the lyrics are very well written and have a lot of meaning, I think.

Vertigo to its credit does not try to be any more than a fun song with a catchy hook, but as we know, the theme of temptation, etc at least gives it more meaning than some would suggest.

You know, the main reason why COBL has substantially slipped in my estimation is the lyrics. I still quite enjoy the sound, but I feel like the song says nearly nothing to me. It's just more clunky soundbytes from 2000s Bono to me. I guess that's one reason why I love Fez so much - Bono's actually trying to paint a picture with the lyrics rather than just coining slogans.

Anyhow, beyond those comments I think we either agree, or at least understand where the other is coming from! :up:

And this is where we diverge. I can easily see somebody fairly neutral, no particular ties to the band, no axes to grind, coming away with the feeling that although U2 have become more adept at the formula, they have lost the feeling. Beautiful Day and Vertigo may nail their styles like few other tracks ever have, but they sure as hell aren't New Year's Day or With Or Without You or I Will Follow.

Of course, agree, BD and Vertigo are not NYD, IWF or WOWY.

What I am still saying is that even if the reviewer has the formula/feeling trade off issue with a track or 2, they can still give the overall set a :up:

What is interesting is that with BD and ATYCLB, many reviewers said U2 had regained that elusive "feeling" though of course they do not define it or put in the context of Bad or ASOH.

Bringing back Exit would cover for a multitude of sins. That tore apart stadiums on JT and I cannot fathom why it has been forgotten since.

I am really beginning to believe the Bono superstition argument here, though I would think it crazy in most other contexts. That girl who was murdered and the nutjob said Exit made him do it. Plus, Bono took a header off the stage during it.

As good a theory as any, they always nailed this live and the crowds loved it. Energy and intensity at its best from U2.

Anyhow, beyond those comments I think we either agree, or at least understand where the other is coming from! :up:

Most certainly!

You are one of the most informed, well reasoned people here, and I do not joke at all when I say U2 gigs is responsible for most of my U2 set list interest/knowledge!

What I am still saying is that even if the reviewer has the formula/feeling trade off issue with a track or 2, they can still give the overall set a :up:

What is interesting is that with BD and ATYCLB, many reviewers said U2 had regained that elusive "feeling" though of course they do not define it or put in the context of Bad or ASOH.

I can't help but think that some responses, however subconsciously, would be shaped by perceptions of the latest album. Even a hypothetical reviewer without any particular positive or negative slant would find their view shaped by their opinion on the recent material, and view the career progression to it in that light. Hence a chronological set in 1989 may've tanked, while the same set with just two or three Achtung songs added to the end in 1991 would not have.

And those same reviewers who felt U2 had regained "feeling" in 2000 are the buffoons who derided Zooropa and Pop as lacking feeling in contrast to ATYCLB. What, did they have copies without songs like Stay, Dirty Day, Gone, Please, and WUDM? Not much on ATYCLB has even half the feeling of Please.

I am really beginning to believe the Bono superstition argument here, though I would think it crazy in most other contexts. That girl who was murdered and the nutjob said Exit made him do it. Plus, Bono took a header off the stage during it.

He's overcome superstition on some other stuff though ... but then it was more widely known material. Seems reasonable to suggest it's at the least an awkward track for the band to go back to. I tend to be of the opinion that it's healthy to slay such demons though ...

You are one of the most informed, well reasoned people here, and I do not joke at all when I say U2 gigs is responsible for most of my U2 set list interest/knowledge!

Thanks! I've felt lately that something has been lacking in the quality and extent of discussions here, but you've kept contributing and I appreciate that; certainly this thread has been good. And here I was, originally just cruising through with a flippant remark!

Haha, thanks? Would sincerely love to know what you so dislike about it.

hahah i forgot I even posted that sorry - there was nothing i DISLIKED about it at all, it's great! I meant it more of an 'I'll eat my HAT if...' because there is sadly no chance of them ever ditching the usual setlist rotation and playing half of those songs! :( sucks really

hahah i forgot I even posted that sorry - there was nothing i DISLIKED about it at all, it's great! I meant it more of an 'I'll eat my HAT if...' because there is sadly no chance of them ever ditching the usual setlist rotation and playing half of those songs! :( sucks really

Oh, my mistake! I read it as a variation upon "I'd rather stick a pin through my dick". :lol:

Most of those songs aren't even obscure either. What a shame that even Please has somehow become a pipedream nowadays. :sigh:

thank god i chose not to turn the computer on last night.

Damnit, you should've!

(And because I've got a few spare minutes ...)

I really do like the idea of some sort of chronological setlist. So, you know, I thought I'd just mess around and post my own. 2 songs from each album/era (and the essential closer of Bad/40 on top of that). The flow isn't the best, but such are the perils of chronological ordering.

1. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
2. Out Of Control (or I Will Follow; either will do)
3. Rejoice
4. Gloria
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
6. New Year's Day
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. A Sort Of Homecoming
9. Streets
10. One Tree Hill
11. Hawkmoon 269
12. God Part II
13. The Fly
14. Until The End Of The World
15. Stay
16. Dirty Day
17. Please
18. Gone

19. Beautiful Day
20. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
21. City Of Blinding Lights
22. Fast Cars

23. No Line On The Horizon
24. Being Born
25. Bad/40

I bet you the casual punter won't go home disappointed in the slightest, the diehards will be wetting themselves, and the cynical man-on-the-street who wants Bono to shut up but isn't overtly hostile to the music may well be won over.

I like the setlist (reminds me of a chronological Pearl Jam setlist that was actually done - one of my favourite shows of theirs), but I believe that the casual fans, especially on Glastonbury would lose their patience over quite a few sections on there. It was actually amazing how some songs were taken quite indifferently by the crowd at my 2009 shows - songs like Until the End of the World and City of Blinding Lights, while Elevation was like experiencing the Second Coming or whatever. So even some songs that we do believe are making huge sounds and are made to be experienced on a live gig, even some of those gems can be accepted quite mildly. It depends on the energy the band is investing into these songs of course - Bono going mad on The Electric Co. and their stage theatrics were crucial in making that track work, while that kind of energy just doesn't seem to be there most of the time on 360.

I like the setlist (reminds me of a chronological Pearl Jam setlist that was actually done - one of my favourite shows of theirs), but I believe that the casual fans, especially on Glastonbury would lose their patience over quite a few sections on there. It was actually amazing how some songs were taken quite indifferently by the crowd at my 2009 shows - songs like Until the End of the World and City of Blinding Lights, while Elevation was like experiencing the Second Coming or whatever. So even some songs that we do believe are making huge sounds and are made to be experienced on a live gig, even some of those gems can be accepted quite mildly. It depends on the energy the band is investing into these songs of course - Bono going mad on The Electric Co. and their stage theatrics were crucial in making that track work, while that kind of energy just doesn't seem to be there most of the time on 360.

Looking back at it, 10-12 in particular would lose a predominantly casual audience. AIWIY needs to be in there from RAH. I tend to work on the logic that you can get away with two somewhat lesser known songs, possibly even three, but then you need to follow them up with a really big number. For a gig like Glasto, though, it may be best that any lesser known song (i.e. not on a Best Of, JT, or AB) has to be followed by a famous hit just to keep the crowd into it.

The crowd vibe at 360 has been fucking weird though. I've noticed a lot of people remarking on it, saying it's not been like past tours. I think it's a function of stadiums really. I definitely noticed UTEOTW wasn't going over as strongly as it did in the past, and dare I say it, even Bad wasn't setting the place on fire like it used to. I really don't know if it was a huge "we want radio hits and only radio hits" casual contingent or lower energy, weaker performances by the band ... a mix of both probably.

Thinking more about a chronological setlist, I had an alternative idea. Of the 24 songs, play 12 in chronological order, i.e. one for each album, then the remaining songs from each album are thrown into the mix and arranged to flow, and to keep a casual audience on side. So here we go, my chronological set version two. I've swapped out Fast Cars for Vertigo as the lack of a well-known song was killing the first encore, but otherwise it's the same tracks.

1. Until The End Of The World
2. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
3. Gloria
4. New Year's Day
5. One Tree Hill
6. The Unforgettable Fire
-- Bono introduces chronological segment --
7. I Will Follow
8. Rejoice
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. A Sort Of Homecoming
11. Where The Streets Have No Name
12. God Part II
13. The Fly
14. Dirty Day
15. Please
16. Beautiful Day
17. City Of Blinding Lights
18. No Line On The Horizon

19. Hawkmoon 269
20. Vertigo
21. Gone

22. Fez-Being Born
23. Stay
24. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
25. Bad/40

Not tremendously happy with this, though it's more due to song selection to tell the truth. The lack of leeway to include good songs regardless of how well they did on the charts is very stifling and hinders the show.

As long as they play All I Want Is You, New Years Day and The Fly I will be happy. Mofo obviously being the dream choice.

I think that the setlist will be based in the 360º-2010, but I think that it'll be shortened (I'm not seeing U2 playing 2 hours and a half of 24 songs in a concert like this... I'd bet for 18-20 songs instead) and I think it'll be adapted. I could see the band opening, for instance, with a classic of the early years. Plus, although I think the band will chop down some of the new songs (even on the new 360º overall setlist), I think they'll stick with 3 or 4 and (why not?) eventually test a new one.
I could see as well the band playing a cover song in this kind of show, maybe from The Beatles, from Bowie or some other monster.
Here's my shot:

New Song
I Will Follow
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Elevation
Desire
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
The Unforgettable Fire
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
One

Until The End Of The World
With Or Without You

ax when is the last time, if ever, U2 played a song of theirs live before it came out on an album? y'know, like most other bands do?

I presume you are excluding promo appearances for the forthcoming album a song is on? Because Breathe and Magnificent were played live in February at NLOTH promo appearances before NLOTH's release date.

Excluding that sort of stuff, She's A Mystery To Me has been played seven times between 1989 and 2004, even though it has never been released, except for a live version of its last live performance, 22 November 2004 (a HTDAAB promo gig, funnily enough). Four of the seven performances were at full gigs, the other three at promo gigs for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It's been snippeted a lot too, including once on 360.

In terms of songs with a studio release, the last to be played at a full concert prior to its release was Slow Dancing. It was played at two Lovetown and six ZooTV concerts between 1 December 1989 and 11 March 1993, but was not released until the Stay single in late November 1993. As for album songs? When Love Comes To Town on 24 November 1987.

In terms of totally unreleased songs, the last time one was played was when the band did We Love You on 6 August 2001, Antwerp.

Serious guess:

1 GOYB into
2 Vertigo
3 No Line on the Horizon
4 New song
5 One (to improve the flow of the ending)
6 UTEOTW
7 Beautiful Day
8 Gone
9 Crazy Tonight (remix)
10 Sunday Bloody Sunday
11 Magnificent
12 With or Without You
13 Where the Streets Have No Name

14 Fez Being Born
15 Ultraviolet
16 Moment of Surrender

I think we will get a fairly 'greatest hits' geared performance. They might mix the newer songs around a bit because it isnt a NLOTH promo show.I still think they will use the 360 show as a base, but throw in some surprises 360-wise (Gone, UTEOTW, FBB)

this is what i was pointing to, yeah. many, many bands play songs live in between albums, refining them, etc, but U2 has never done it.

what's that We Love You song? a cover?

The closest we've got to any vaguely systematic roadtesting was when they did Fire, I Fall Down, and (never released) Carry Me Home late on the Boy Tour prior to the October sessions.

We Love You is an unreleased original song they did in honour of Edge, as it was two days before his 40th birthday.

OK, so to satisfy my own curiosity as much as anybody else's, here is a full list (or pretty fucking close to full list) of songs played live prior to their official studio release.

AT PROMO GIGS
(or full tour shows promoting the album it's on)
The Ocean - Boy Tour in the month before Boy's release
A Celebration - October Tour gigs in February 1982; single came out in March 1982
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Pre-War Tour in December 1982; War came out March 1983
New Year's Day - Pre-War Tour in December 1982; NYD single came out in January 1983
Surrender - see SBS
Pride - first few UF Tour dates were before Pride single was released
The Unforgettable Fire - Aussie/Kiwi UF Tour dates were before UF album was released
A Sort Of Homecoming - see UF
Wire - see UF (opened a gig!)
In God's Country - played on the Old Grey Whistle Test literally a day before JT came out
Exit - see IGC
Elevation - ATYCLB Promo Tour
Stuck In A Moment - ATYCLB Promo Tour
New York - ATYCLB Promo Tour
All Because Of You - HTDAAB Promo Tour
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - HTDAAB Promo Tour
City Of Blinding Lights - HTDAAB Promo Tour
Original Of The Species - HTDAAB Promo Tour
Miracle Drug - HTDAAB Promo Tour
Breathe - NLOTH Promo Tour
Magnificent - NLOTH Promo Tour
No Line On The Horizon - NLOTH Promo Tour (sort of; live performance in studio for the BBC was broadcast on TV)

NOT AT PROMO GIGS
Almost everything from U2:3, Another Day single, 11OTT single, ADWM single, and Boy was played live before the tour promoting their release, some in earlier form (e.g. 11OTT was not played until after the single's release, but The Silver Lining had been in the set for over half a year). The only song NOT known to have been performed until the tour actually promoting the release it's on is The Ocean. Every song was played prior to its official release. As for the rest:
Fire - Boy Tour, released on October
I Fall Down - Boy Tour. on October
Carry Me Home - Boy Tour, still unreleased
Womanfish - TV Gaga, 1986, still unreleased
When Love Comes To Town - JT Tour, on RAH
Slow Dancing - Lovetown and ZooTV, on Stay single
She's A Mystery To Me - Played or snippeted every tour from Lovetown, only released live in 2004 (though Roy Orbison did release his studio version)
We Love You - Elevation Tour, unreleased

......and 'Trip Through Your Wires' was first played on TV Gaga in 86 and then at the Whistle Test show the day before TJT was released

Could have sworn that was in my not-at-promo list! I did shuffle the order as I was typing the post (to separate promo/not promo) and must've accidentally deleted it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Back
Top Bottom