U2.COM asks what you want to hear on tour ! in 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think my comment will be posted due to censorship, but here's what I said:

"My vote is for Mofo and A Sort Of Homecoming, because I'm pretty sure an entire stadium full of people want to see me orgasm right there in the crowd."

lol!

Well I submitted my request last week and I have no idea if they posted it. I said "Hey you Mofo's, Play Mofo!"

If U2 add ANYTHING Off Pop. I don't care what It is. I'll be happy.

Maybe even something from Zooropa thats not Stay (as much as I do love that song)....What about Dirty Day or something? That would Rawwk.

This has nothing to do with the request songs but it looks like the band have come up with a new Gimmick for the 2010 portion of the tour for Aung san suu kyi.

So expect Walk on to remain part of the set list

That doesn't surprise me - I was wondering if they'd keep the masks, though. Sounds like they're going a different route, which is fine by me.

Nice sentiment, but somewhat creepy execution with those masks.

I would be happy if U2 played something, any song from "Pop" album. Also, I want to hear such songs as, for example, "A sort of homecoming", "White as snow", "The ground beneath her feet", "Electrical storm".

I wonder how many songs they are going to take into consideration?

HMTMKMKM has to have been one of the songs people were asking for alot on U2.com right? Although I don't think I saw many "Miss Sarajevo" posts in the comment section so I'm not sure why they added that. Hopefully like people said, it's because of the venue they are at. Because if that's one of the songs they picked out of all the possible requests they got... then... just yuck. :doh: (sorry to fans of the song)

Still holding out for them to play more NLOTH songs, or Zooropa :drool:

Since the band played one of my requests (Hold Me Thrill Me...) these are my 2 new song requests:

MOFO and FEZ - BEING BORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really surprised that SUC hasn't been played live yet. It's not one of my favorite NLOTH tracks but it seemed like such an obvious choice for a live song.

As for oldies...Acrobat, Heartland, and Drowning Man would all be great, but I seriously doubt they'll play any of those. I'm going to have to say Mofo.

Acrobat- only if they can really figure out how to play it well
Discotheque
Gone
Please
Running to Stand Still- I know its been played in the past alot but oddly enough its still one of my all time favs even though it doesn't have the Edge guitar I love. In concert its always such a beautiful moment that never gets old for me.
The Fly- sorry but Edge's varying guitar with different versions never gets old
Trying to Throw your Arms- only with the playful audience play from Zoo TV
When I Look at the World

Markou2, I also wouldn't refuse "Gloria" - one of my favourite songs of U2. And what about "Tomorrow"?

Still holding out for them to play more NLOTH songs

+100! I just can't understand why now U2 sing only... a little part of songs from the latest album, most of all, why they pulled out of setlist "Unknown caller". To the other hand, I'm glad "Moments of surrender", the royal of the show, is still in setlist and I hope it will be in Russia too.

Wow, I hadn't read Willie's Diary from the end of July. :lol: Willie wanted them to play Mercy!!!

It's so great to get his insight into what's going on behind the scenes driving some of these setlist decisions.

From his 7/29/10 entry:

The show from last year developed into something so rock solid that it's hard to break it apart and fit new ideas in, but having captured that show on the Rosebowl DVD, it was clear that we have to refresh the show to some degree. We need a new opening certainly, then maybe three or four new songs to keep it interesting for us as much as everyone else. I've been keen to put in Mercy, for the novelty value of playing something unreleased, and then there's Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World which will be a winner if we can make the production elements happen. Perhaps inspired by opening the tour in Italy, Bono suggested Miss Sarajevo. Looking through the set he then put his finger on Ultraviolet and wondered if there was another song we could put there which would still work with the hanging microphone and laser jacket. After a minute or two he suggested Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, which hasn't seen the light of day since PopMart. In many ways Ultraviolet was the great stealth surprise of last year - a little known album track which came back and stole the show (like a modern day Bad) - but it's on the DVD and in the security of knowing we have it in the bag, it's good to be able to think about alternatives. To give ourselves a sense of how it might be, we watched the performance of Ultraviolet from the Rosebowl DVD, whilst listening to Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. It's clearly not going to be a straight 'cut and paste' but it was a lot more promising than I'd thought. I love that song too - such a big, glam, bombastic thing. It used to sound so good on the PopMart tour.

Last edited:
Willie's diary is an interesting insight into the band's thought process. For one, they obviously have their hands tied by the production elements. They feel that inserting any song is like replacing a wall in a house - there are all kinds of structural issues to resolve. It's not as simple to them as plug 'n play, which is too bad in many ways.

I also find the contradiction in logic somewhat funny when the band felt they could drop the wildly popular Ultraviolet because it was "on the DVD" yet there are numerous other songs they've marched out for several DVDs.

Although, I must admit, I'm glad ensuring songs make it on a DVD is a concern to them. I hate when a song was a highlight of a show, yet never makes it on a DVD. TTTYAATW is a classic for me. I realize why it never made the Zoo TV DVD, but that was a real shame to me. It was such a great connecting part of that show. Here's hoping it returns on 360, as per Willie's comments.

Yeah, it's definitely interesting. Would love to hear their thought process of going with BD as the opener, and dropping two songs from the last album.

And I had to laugh at the "modern day Bad." You know what else works as a "modern day Bad"? FUCKING BAD. Play it more, it's a timeless U2 classic that no one tires of hearing.

51ZFAs-4rEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I played it last night on my way home from work, the live version. I had not done that for months.
Superb start on that song.

And I had to laugh at the "modern day Bad." You know what else works as a "modern day Bad"? FUCKING BAD. Play it more, it's a timeless U2 classic that no one tires of hearing.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I think they are so out of touch with their own music. Maybe they should listen to it some time.

Back
Top Bottom