U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Revange of Popmart or U2 meets Mallorca Party

The show opened up with an unnormal U2 Style this time they had their own track from the Songs of Ascents sessions.Larry is joining the stage from the back on his owen when the other fellows joining the stage from the right. (a visiual slightly breakup....in the past they joined together, mostly, unlike Bono was most the last one who entered the stage).

First Trak BREATHE, one of the fastest numbers on the Album if you can speak about fast. The crowed was exicted but after 2min the excitement went down, cause the song doesn´t have these power like other opening tracks from the past like ZooStation, Mofo, Elevation or even Vertigo.

Track two NO LINE ON THE HORIZON. Mid tempo number on spot 2 where the last time it was the Electric Co wich gave the crowed a real push this time the tempo and atmosphere couldn´t reach that level. Even remebering it was the same slot were 16 years ago THE FLY rocked the Stadiums and Halls this time....No line...

Track 3 GOYB....the first crowed pleasing number with an tempo thats excaptable and also needed cause the first two numbers coudn´t reach that kind of tempo.

And now after having the crowed rocked ....MAGNIFICANT...another mid tempo number wich couldn´t rock the house but the crowed was pleased with it.

That was the first block of new tracks and now we reach in the classic block opening with the newest crowed pleasing number since 2001....BEAUTIFUL DAY, wich actually is a rocker but since 2001 wich means since 8 years they played that tune at every gig....can´t live without it? I can....Also no snippet in the end only Crowed pleasing Barcelona Barcelona...well if you wanna get a crowed on your side just tell them where you are.

Now the old and everytime favorite track from the Joshua Tree Album ...I STILL HAVEN´T FOUND. Played in a classic style and the version reminds me on L.A. 87 soundcheck (seen on Outside its America), perfect.

Now was the moment wich decides where the concert is going to....the rehearsed version of an old time favorite unplayed track Drowning Man or an old sing a long song ANGEL OF HARLEM. The Band decided for ANGLEL. Wich actually was not a bad version incl. a snippet for M.J. wich was expeceted from the night before during the Dress Rehearsel also incl. a smal harmonica part, wich was longer the night before......well we could do it also shorter....dont forget this sentence!!!

Next spot do they have balls to play an acoustic version of Mysterious Ways wich they also rehearsed the day before or do they just go for the save version of IN A LITTLE WHILE....of course they don´t have balls and go for the save way. Wich also meant that NO acoustic version was played until now and the spots for it had gone....later more on this one.

Now we reached the time to make some blablabla....a make it looks spontaneous Space Chat with the ISS Crew wich covered at least 10-15min. Incl. a lot of blablabla wich no one needs to know we came here for music and not for conversation!!!! Instead of this they could played 3 more tunes instead of blablabla...but they don´t.

Going after that one into another new Track from the Album...UNKNOWEN CALLER...where the Edge had some slightly guitare problems, and not for the last time this night!!!!
The CALLER became also a hughe crowed pleaser as the corus words were shown on the screen that the crowed could sing a long...OH OH OH..OH OH OH...well it was not the last one.

Now a spot that really doesn´t fit in the concept so far introduced by: We havn´t played this tune....thinking for some sec. 20 Years...THE UNFORGATTABLE FIRE. Wich peaks highly out of the set. Many in the crowed espacally i had a good seat place didn´t even know this track. For me personlly i heard this tune the first time on the 14.12.89 on the LoveTown Tour and now after 20 years it sounded still fresh but lyrically my first version was outstanding this one...was ok even better than nothing. And i doubt it the tune will stay there for the hole tour.

This tune also finished the classic block and now we reaching in the Party block opening with CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS wich was not a bad version of it with all the lights etc. some said that was their best version ever they heard well for me after 20 years Touring U2 it was an Ok version could live with it, but was better for me on Vertigo Tour.

Following from the same Album....VERTIGO! Unos dos tres....whats that????? Havealy Bass and more Drums and less guitarre?! Was not able to compare to the Vertigo Tour version incl. Rock away Beach or Dirty Water or Stories for Boys versions.....far far away from those.

Now time for some WestBam or LoveParade meets U2 version of CRAZY TONIGHT. I mean in the past their were some nice and interesing remix version of different songs...Even Better, Lemon, etc. but now....the Band is going in to play those things LIVE!

Personally for me ....embarrasement. CRAZY is a good tune on the Album wich i like to hear it in the car driving by sunshine....that version they played live....Drum Computer with heavy Bass ...i would like to know what Edge was really playing on that tune?!
But part of an show element because the Band was walking all over the cat walk around incl. Larry with Bongos.Fixed part of the show and also center song!!!

But the crowed took it on....and now reaching in the all time cowed pleasing part starting wich ...SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY....a short version wich became only for crowed pleasing....oh they played Sunday bloody Sunday....well....yeah they did...but where has this anti War song gone to??? Where was the rocking casbah from the last tour....? Or Johnny was a good man oh oh...version from 1993????....its gone....

Followed by a track wich followed me over that last 20 Years of U2 Touring....i had good versions on it i had bad versions of it....now we reach in we don´t want to play it but the crowed wants it version so we play it.
PRIDE in the name of.....sing oh oh oh oh.....and so the tunes ended up like this...oh oh oh oh oh oh ....hardly remindes me on the crapy Popmart versions wich i had dozens of can´t compare to the high energy versions of LoveTown or ZOOTV or ELEVATION Versions... let the crowd sing they are happy.

Followed up by a scratchy version of MLK going into another crowd pleaser...WALK ON. Everybody put on your mask.....stop question ...why not 8 years before???

Time for some more speech ....Bishop TuTu who was hasseled by the Band during 1987 version of Bullet the Blue Sky now opening the old time favorite STREETS. Where the Stage is in red light incl. an old time favorite flash light. After this having the crowed rocked well we put down the atmosphere with....well how can i put it....the worest version ever since the tune has reached daylight...ONE.

Bono didn´t even sang this song he was mostly speaking the words of it....and then a moment came wich i have never seen in 20 Years of U2 Touring....Bono wasn´t pleased about his Band mates Adam and Edge!!!

We had some scratchy versions of different other songs in the past but mostly the band took it as a joke....ok we fucked up...lets try it again etc......this time...he is embarassed about his long time (friends?)....ONE was a desaster, nothing there from the favorite tune from the ZOOTV Tour.

After a short break another songe appeared again sind 16 years back to the set list....ULTRAVIOLET.

A smal christmas tree man came back on stage....well he actually looked like our christmas tree....and performed a version of an favorite tune from the Achtung Baby album wich i last herad in absolutly perfect condition now....a shadow of it self. But crowed was pleased.

Now anther self destruction of a song wich i personally love but play it good or better skip it out of the setlist......WITH OR WITHOUT YOU.

This version was.....I don´t want to sing this tune but i have to......kicking the mic aside and let the crowed sing it. No emotions in the song with an radical ending..........please sikp this tune out of the setlist it is to good to be played like this!!!!
And becoming a crowed pleaser to let them sing oh oh oh

Last but not least a new song to end the show....MOMENT OF SURRENDER or U2 Surrender to them self.
Again let the crowed sing it...oh oh oh oh....oh oh oh oh.....
What has happend to U2?? What has happened to the Songs??
At least they play it now without emotions more like a sing a long song. Party time with U2 let the beer flow shout the songs....a shame for every U2 song to become a drinking song.

The worest concert i saw in 20 years U2 Touring....and it broke my heart nothing was left from these guys i saw 20 years ago. New Songs with greatest Hits as sing a long songs thats the concept of the tour.....well then i don´t need this i don´t want this......i stopped touring now....different times comes and different times goes....thats my hope. If they do keep continuing like this....well its a short tour for me and saves a lot of money....my hopes goes into the next tour.

All these interviews in the start nothing has been made what they said before. We doing a hughe acoustic set....well not in the start. We are going to play songs that has never been played before....well not for the start. Show effects were hughe better on ZooTV.

And in the end when the band left the stage Larry was going on his own. The three other were posing arm in arm together.....without Larry he didn´t even return for this to build up a unit....a dark picture became clearer.... a break inside the Band has begun.

As Larry said in an interview in 10 years i have plenty of time for everything i wanna do.......i could see it personally now.

"And in the end when the band left the stage Larry was going on his own. The three other were posing arm in arm together.....without Larry he didn´t even return for this to build up a unit....a dark picture became clearer.... a break inside the Band has begun."

LOL! we didn't land on the moon too. did you hear that one?

The show opened up with an unnormal U2 Style this time they had their own track from the Songs of Ascents sessions.Larry is joining the stage from the back on his owen when the other fellows joining the stage from the right. (a visiual slightly breakup....in the past they joined together, mostly, unlike Bono was most the last one who entered the stage).

First Trak BREATHE, one of the fastest numbers on the Album if you can speak about fast. The crowed was exicted but after 2min the excitement went down, cause the song doesn´t have these power like other opening tracks from the past like ZooStation, Mofo, Elevation or even Vertigo.

Track two NO LINE ON THE HORIZON. Mid tempo number on spot 2 where the last time it was the Electric Co wich gave the crowed a real push this time the tempo and atmosphere couldn´t reach that level. Even remebering it was the same slot were 16 years ago THE FLY rocked the Stadiums and Halls this time....No line...

Track 3 GOYB....the first crowed pleasing number with an tempo thats excaptable and also needed cause the first two numbers coudn´t reach that kind of tempo.

And now after having the crowed rocked ....MAGNIFICANT...another mid tempo number wich couldn´t rock the house but the crowed was pleased with it.

That was the first block of new tracks and now we reach in the classic block opening with the newest crowed pleasing number since 2001....BEAUTIFUL DAY, wich actually is a rocker but since 2001 wich means since 8 years they played that tune at every gig....can´t live without it? I can....Also no snippet in the end only Crowed pleasing Barcelona Barcelona...well if you wanna get a crowed on your side just tell them where you are.

Now the old and everytime favorite track from the Joshua Tree Album ...I STILL HAVEN´T FOUND. Played in a classic style and the version reminds me on L.A. 87 soundcheck (seen on Outside its America), perfect.

Now was the moment wich decides where the concert is going to....the rehearsed version of an old time favorite unplayed track Drowning Man or an old sing a long song ANGEL OF HARLEM. The Band decided for ANGLEL. Wich actually was not a bad version incl. a snippet for M.J. wich was expeceted from the night before during the Dress Rehearsel also incl. a smal harmonica part, wich was longer the night before......well we could do it also shorter....dont forget this sentence!!!

Next spot do they have balls to play an acoustic version of Mysterious Ways wich they also rehearsed the day before or do they just go for the save version of IN A LITTLE WHILE....of course they don´t have balls and go for the save way. Wich also meant that NO acoustic version was played until now and the spots for it had gone....later more on this one.

Now we reached the time to make some blablabla....a make it looks spontaneous Space Chat with the ISS Crew wich covered at least 10-15min. Incl. a lot of blablabla wich no one needs to know we came here for music and not for conversation!!!! Instead of this they could played 3 more tunes instead of blablabla...but they don´t.

Going after that one into another new Track from the Album...UNKNOWEN CALLER...where the Edge had some slightly guitare problems, and not for the last time this night!!!!
The CALLER became also a hughe crowed pleaser as the corus words were shown on the screen that the crowed could sing a long...OH OH OH..OH OH OH...well it was not the last one.

Now a spot that really doesn´t fit in the concept so far introduced by: We havn´t played this tune....thinking for some sec. 20 Years...THE UNFORGATTABLE FIRE. Wich peaks highly out of the set. Many in the crowed espacally i had a good seat place didn´t even know this track. For me personlly i heard this tune the first time on the 14.12.89 on the LoveTown Tour and now after 20 years it sounded still fresh but lyrically my first version was outstanding this one...was ok even better than nothing. And i doubt it the tune will stay there for the hole tour.

This tune also finished the classic block and now we reaching in the Party block opening with CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS wich was not a bad version of it with all the lights etc. some said that was their best version ever they heard well for me after 20 years Touring U2 it was an Ok version could live with it, but was better for me on Vertigo Tour.

Following from the same Album....VERTIGO! Unos dos tres....whats that????? Havealy Bass and more Drums and less guitarre?! Was not able to compare to the Vertigo Tour version incl. Rock away Beach or Dirty Water or Stories for Boys versions.....far far away from those.

Now time for some WestBam or LoveParade meets U2 version of CRAZY TONIGHT. I mean in the past their were some nice and interesing remix version of different songs...Even Better, Lemon, etc. but now....the Band is going in to play those things LIVE!

Personally for me ....embarrasement. CRAZY is a good tune on the Album wich i like to hear it in the car driving by sunshine....that version they played live....Drum Computer with heavy Bass ...i would like to know what Edge was really playing on that tune?!
But part of an show element because the Band was walking all over the cat walk around incl. Larry with Bongos.Fixed part of the show and also center song!!!

But the crowed took it on....and now reaching in the all time cowed pleasing part starting wich ...SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY....a short version wich became only for crowed pleasing....oh they played Sunday bloody Sunday....well....yeah they did...but where has this anti War song gone to??? Where was the rocking casbah from the last tour....? Or Johnny was a good man oh oh...version from 1993????....its gone....

Followed by a track wich followed me over that last 20 Years of U2 Touring....i had good versions on it i had bad versions of it....now we reach in we don´t want to play it but the crowed wants it version so we play it.
PRIDE in the name of.....sing oh oh oh oh.....and so the tunes ended up like this...oh oh oh oh oh oh ....hardly remindes me on the crapy Popmart versions wich i had dozens of can´t compare to the high energy versions of LoveTown or ZOOTV or ELEVATION Versions... let the crowd sing they are happy.

Followed up by a scratchy version of MLK going into another crowd pleaser...WALK ON. Everybody put on your mask.....stop question ...why not 8 years before???

Time for some more speech ....Bishop TuTu who was hasseled by the Band during 1987 version of Bullet the Blue Sky now opening the old time favorite STREETS. Where the Stage is in red light incl. an old time favorite flash light. After this having the crowed rocked well we put down the atmosphere with....well how can i put it....the worest version ever since the tune has reached daylight...ONE.

Bono didn´t even sang this song he was mostly speaking the words of it....and then a moment came wich i have never seen in 20 Years of U2 Touring....Bono wasn´t pleased about his Band mates Adam and Edge!!!

We had some scratchy versions of different other songs in the past but mostly the band took it as a joke....ok we fucked up...lets try it again etc......this time...he is embarassed about his long time (friends?)....ONE was a desaster, nothing there from the favorite tune from the ZOOTV Tour.

After a short break another songe appeared again sind 16 years back to the set list....ULTRAVIOLET.

A smal christmas tree man came back on stage....well he actually looked like our christmas tree....and performed a version of an favorite tune from the Achtung Baby album wich i last herad in absolutly perfect condition now....a shadow of it self. But crowed was pleased.

Now anther self destruction of a song wich i personally love but play it good or better skip it out of the setlist......WITH OR WITHOUT YOU.

This version was.....I don´t want to sing this tune but i have to......kicking the mic aside and let the crowed sing it. No emotions in the song with an radical ending..........please sikp this tune out of the setlist it is to good to be played like this!!!!

Last but not least a new song to end the show....MOMENT OF SURRENDER or U2 Surrender to them self.
At least they play it now without emotions more like a sing a long song. Party time with U2 let the beer flow shout the songs....a shame for every U2 song to become a drinking song.

The worest concert i saw in 20 years U2 Touring....and it broke my heart nothing was left from these guys i saw 20 years ago. New Songs with greatest Hits as sing a long songs thats the concept of the tour.....well then i don´t need this i don´t want this......i stopped touring now....different times comes and different times goes....thats my hope. If they do keep continuing like this....well its a short tour for me and saves a lot of money....my hopes goes into the next tour.

All these interviews in the start nothing has been made what they said before. We doing a hughe acoustic set....well not in the start. We are going to play songs that has never been played before....well not for the start. Show effects were hughe better on ZooTV.

And in the end when the band left the stage Larry was going on his own. The three other were posing arm in arm together.....without Larry he didn´t even return for this to build up a unit....a dark picture became clearer.... a break inside the Band has begun.

As Larry said in an interview in 10 years i have plenty of time for everything i wanna do.......i could see it personally now.

You now what the sad thing is? I actually agree with you on most parts without having been there and in all fiarness,(eventhough a bit harsch sometimes) you come up with some valid points. Two nights ago the magic seemed gone, I dont know why, I dont know how but there was something missing that was there before. Off course being there is a different ballgame but when I listened to bootlegs of the past I didnt need to be there to hear that they rocked the crowded into oblivion. Initial enthousiasme is slowly fading listening for the 4th time to these songs of the first night. UF, FANTASTIC and actualy miles above the rest which is actualy kind of sad. You hear A LOT of mistakes and the shwow sounds completely unrehearsed which is quit odd. I really hope they had a complete offnight. Lets see what happens tonight :up:

I am sorry for your loss, and I mean that. It sucks being let down by the band you love and i have 48287238th time more respect for an honest, heartfelt plea why you think something is bad than approving everything they put out eventhough it is shit sometimes.
:up:

It was the 1st show of the most epic stadium rock show ever............U2 will get it right. Give them a few shows :doh:

I dont know what else to say here but this is just an awesome post. I'm really happy that I just joined this board becuse I wanted to see what other peole feel about the band. I have been a fan since 1986 and I definatly think that while U2 is still a good band they are not as passionate or powerful as they were in the 80's or 90's. I think they are way too mechanical and the music and NLOTH is not really as good as it used to be.

I must admit that I am now a Springsteen convert when I see him in concert I see a guy who really enjoys what he is doing and really into his shows. I mean every concert for the past two years he goes into the sudience and plays about 4 songs taken by request and all of his shows hit the 3 hour mark with a different set list every night. Whens the last time U2 if ever had a 3 hour show or took requests from the audience. A U2 show is now an event more about the stage set up than it is the music. I miss the days of the Joshua Tree when 4 guys jumped on a simple staged and played.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that U2 while great is not the band they used to be. I kind of feared that they would peak after the Joshua Tree. I mean how can yu outdo that. I also cant believe that they charge $250.00 per ticket. I remember Bono during the Joshua Tree tour begging the audience to not pay scalper prices and now in this economy he charges $250.00 because rich people have feelings too? And dont give me the crap about $30.00 tickets because from those seats they should give you a telescope.

Also in reading this post is Larry giving hints that the end is near? Again I hope not but then again I dont know if I could take any more albums like NLOTH.

Well in person the set didn't come across as too mellow at all. Breathe got a pretty good reaction as an opener, I kind of liked the way Larry strolled on stage to open it up with the others appearing from underneath. That said I wouldn't mind seeing them extend the intro to Boots and using that to open. I concur that the 2 speeches did sap the momentum a little and I'm not hugely enthused at the idea of hooking up to the ISS every night.

As for the "old warhorse" argument...something like ISHFWILF I rarely listen to at home but in a live environment with that sense of community it remains a highlight - 90,000+ singing this in unison is one of those U2 moments that remind you why you go to see them and it was nothing less than wonderful in Barcelona. Same goes for the likes of Pride, SBS, Streets, B Day etc - I would say 99%+ of the people there were more than happy to hear them and whilst I would probably soil my pants to hear Lady With The Spinning Head or Red Hill Mining Town or other such rarities I thoroughly enjoyed the warhorses as much as the new songs last night.

Though I can see how it is deemed boring sat at home in front of a PC.

Couldn´t agree more with your comments on the warhorses. I was there and with the exception of WOWY which lacked passion, they were all awesome and drew an amazing response from the crowd. I went to the show with a large group of friends, many of whom had never seen U2 live, and they wanted to hear those songs. I´m glad U2 is smart enough to know that a set-list of rarities and new songs would be a catastrophe. They have written so many classic songs in their lives, that have touched so many people, there is no reason for them not to be proud and play them.

That being said in terms of the order and pacing of the show I did think there were some issues of momentum, transitions, flow, etc. I´m sure these things will be worked out, but honestly I can´t believe people say they should drop Streets or One. And SBS totally rocked the house too.

Couldn´t agree more with your comments on the warhorses. I was there and with the exception of WOWY which lacked passion, they were all awesome and drew an amazing response from the crowd. I went to the show with a large group of friends, many of whom had never seen U2 live, and they wanted to hear those songs. I´m glad U2 is smart enough to know that a set-list of rarities and new songs would be a catastrophe. They have written so many classic songs in their lives, that have touched so many people, there is no reason for them not to be proud and play them.

That being said in terms of the order and pacing of the show I did think there were some issues of momentum, transitions, flow, etc. I´m sure these things will be worked out, but honestly I can´t believe people say they should drop Streets or One. And SBS totally rocked the house too.

That's really good to hear from someone who was there, I was a little worried about the momentum being slowed/constrained by the slower type songs, but if you say the crowd responded well then that's great!

I really believe the response from a crowd is critical to stadium shows (which is why I've been so critical of the set-list), it can either make or break a show and that's what concerns me - if I'm there and the crowd is diggin' it, I'm a happy camper. There's nothing better than being in a stadium with 90,000 other screamin' fans losing their minds!! :D

Excellent post! I honesty believe that it's 99% HOW they play the song and 1% the actual song choice itself. After listening to the opening night boot, and refreshing myself today with some past recordings, it's more about how much energy and fire they play the song with than the song itself. That is where the criticisms should be focused at...I thought Bono was gonna nod off at the begining of WOWY...along with the very bad verison of Crazy (Remix) Who's idea was that? (Edited to add) I just watched Night2 Crazy Remix, and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was night1 (waiting to see encore version)...Just saw regular version, 10000x better...

Obviously U2 made improvements from night 1 to night 2, so they are getting closer. Still not there, tho, and yeah the comparisons to Bruce are natural and generally unflattering (the guy brings it for 2.5+ hrs, 26-28 songs a night). By comparison, U2's first show checked in at 2.10, and minus the dumb link-up, the cringe-inducing Bono speeches, you are looking at 2 hrs of music. In fairness, today's show included an extra 2 songs...like I said before, improvement.

On the whole I agree with some of the earlier posters, there are too many slower numbers and not enough upbeat stadium rockers. With this stage, that U2 would almost entirely ignore their 1990's output is almost unforgiveable. With all due respect to In A Little While, no one was clamoring for its return after a one-tour absence. Meanwhile a song like Hold Me Thrill Me collects cobwebs...just not right.

I also agree that some of the "warhorses" need a break. Bullet was at the top of the list, at least 1.5 tours overdue for a breather, and the band thankfully agreed. But I do NOT view SBS/Pride/WOWY as "requisite" songs (in contrast to Streets/One/BD/Vert), and these three should rotate in and out and not be staples. Let's be honest, anyone with a 1987 or 1989 bootleg knows full well Bono cannot sing WOWY anymore. I think the UTTEOTW/NYD back-to-back that was a staple of the last 4 tours has yet to be adequately replaced. The versions of SBS/Pride/WOWY are stale and need some air.

The great: Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, and Electrical Storm. All 3 great songs. Well done. Bullet/Elevation to the bench = agree. last album only Vertigo and COBL survive = the less, the better.

The good: Angel of Harlem, Desire, Party Girl, MLK, Walk On, COBL, playing "the good half" of the new album, for the most part

The bad: "remix" of Crazy Tonight, absence of songs from 1993-1997 (HMTMKMKM is the most obvious should-be returnee, but Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Disco, etc...any of these would be welcomed by hardcore and casual fan alike). Admit that Zooropa is tough record to translate live, don't want to see 2009 Bono attempt to sing Lemon (see also: WOWY).

The horrible: stupid, stupid, stupid masks. Awful overwrought speeches.

I think the setlist is fine. I can't wait to see it myself in person, as given the fact that I haven't seen it yet in person, my only critique would be aimed at getting them to play the songs they have chosen better / more energetically. I certainly don't want them to drop Pride, WOWY, SBS, or anything else they have deemed important to the show like, oh, speeches and a message from Desmond Tutu, that sort of thing. :up:

I agree that any Pop song would be welcome...it would seem to fit. Moreso than DM.

dumb link-up, the cringe-inducing Bono speeches

No.

there are too many slower numbers and not enough upbeat stadium rockers.

No.

Let's be honest, anyone with a 1987 or 1989 bootleg knows full well Bono cannot sing WOWY anymore.

No.

Bullet/Elevation to the bench = agree. last album only Vertigo and COBL survive = the less, the better.

No.

The bad: "remix" of Crazy Tonight

No.

don't want to see 2009 Bono attempt to sing Lemon (see also: WOWY).

No.

Awful overwrought speeches.

No.

Obviously U2 made improvements from night 1 to night 2, so they are getting closer. Still not there, tho, and yeah the comparisons to Bruce are natural and generally unflattering (the guy brings it for 2.5+ hrs, 26-28 songs a night). By comparison, U2's first show checked in at 2.10, and minus the dumb link-up, the cringe-inducing Bono speeches, you are looking at 2 hrs of music. In fairness, today's show included an extra 2 songs...like I said before, improvement.

On the whole I agree with some of the earlier posters, there are too many slower numbers and not enough upbeat stadium rockers. With this stage, that U2 would almost entirely ignore their 1990's output is almost unforgiveable. With all due respect to In A Little While, no one was clamoring for its return after a one-tour absence. Meanwhile a song like Hold Me Thrill Me collects cobwebs...just not right.

I also agree that some of the "warhorses" need a break. Bullet was at the top of the list, at least 1.5 tours overdue for a breather, and the band thankfully agreed. But I do NOT view SBS/Pride/WOWY as "requisite" songs (in contrast to Streets/One/BD/Vert), and these three should rotate in and out and not be staples. Let's be honest, anyone with a 1987 or 1989 bootleg knows full well Bono cannot sing WOWY anymore. I think the UTTEOTW/NYD back-to-back that was a staple of the last 4 tours has yet to be adequately replaced. The versions of SBS/Pride/WOWY are stale and need some air.

The great: Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, and Electrical Storm. All 3 great songs. Well done. Bullet/Elevation to the bench = agree. last album only Vertigo and COBL survive = the less, the better.

The good: Angel of Harlem, Desire, Party Girl, MLK, Walk On, COBL, playing "the good half" of the new album, for the most part

The bad: "remix" of Crazy Tonight, absence of songs from 1993-1997 (HMTMKMKM is the most obvious should-be returnee, but Mofo, Gone, LNOE, Disco, etc...any of these would be welcomed by hardcore and casual fan alike). Admit that Zooropa is tough record to translate live, don't want to see 2009 Bono attempt to sing Lemon (see also: WOWY).

Good post! I'm with you... rotate in/out the "warhorses" if need-be. I also think that Bono might sing some songs better if he wasn't obliged to sing them every night...

Rotate in NYD/Until the End of the World with some of the older ones, that'd be good for the 'staples' section.

Bring in some Pop, and if Zooropa's weirder cuts don't resurface, at least bless us with "Stay". I hope we get some more JT/AB songs as well, and a few early cuts. Any combination of these things would add to a good, if not hugely surprising setlist thus far.

If you can bring back TUF, ASOH should come back as well (how great would that be back to back with Magnificent?).

Anyone else likes that little intro before BD while Bono's talking? It's really moving.

as others have said, this amazing stage setup needs more intense songs.

i'm seeing them next month, and i'd prefer to see that their 90's catalogue NOT be dismissed. this setup screams for something like discotheque, mofo, the fly, until the end of the world, hold me thrill me kiss me kill me, etc.

that said, i'm a big fan of ultraviolet, and the remix of "crazy" actually sounds and looks pretty awesome. having discotheque and crazy back to back would be excellent for my ears.

The Claw is just screaming for Discotheque and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. :drool:

Bono should bring his Bubble Suit back if they actually did play HMTMKMKM. :wink:

I thought it was great set list. I mean all great songs and love Desire and Storm!

Bullet was the one U2 hit that I got so sick of and started hating it.... now it's gone and it really makes every set list much better for me.

Of course as a die hard, hope they play 22 songs the never usually play back to back -- but they will never be springsteen. He is one of a kind. Truly.

And just different thing. U2 is more like a broadway play and Springsteen is just an old school rock and roll star with a guitar and no fancy stage.

Love both.

I give you an A for effort and time put into the article.

F for the rest

thank you, this just saved me a lot lof time :wink:

:up:

Yesterday was a great night. The funy thing is that annyone who now calles someone who longed for ES a whiner can shut up looking at the INTENSE reactions yesterdaynight.
Last night did proof that annyone, even the biggest lovefest and u2 can do nothing wrong interferencepeople, was thrilled to hear ES. The Claw looks amazing, Bono's voice seems to be holding up very well and all you need are a few songs like mofo, discotheque, Hold me, kiss me etc, replace MOS with Bad and play One and WOWY(which Bono can not sing anymore) on rotation. You have an absolute KICKASS show then without too many adjustments. I can not wait to see where this goes but it has a lot of potential :up:

Back
Top Bottom