U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2's show me of an old Winston Churchill story. On trying a pudding of some description, he snapped his fingers and demanded "take this away, it has no theme." I don't honestly think that someone leaving the show could say "this is all about space" especially after the space chat feature was removed. And the lack of a theme is a shame since I've always thought U2 could have sent up the internet brilliantly. But the problem is themes need concentration to be devleoped and it's something Bono doesn't have (anymore?).

Plenty of space references even without the "space chat".

:shrug:

Anyway this is about the setlists...

U2's show me of an old Winston Churchill story. On trying a pudding of some description, he snapped his fingers and demanded "take this away, it has no theme." I don't honestly think that someone leaving the show could say "this is all about space" especially after the space chat feature was removed. And the lack of a theme is a shame since I've always thought U2 could have sent up the internet brilliantly. But the problem is themes need concentration to be devleoped and it's something Bono doesn't have (anymore?).

A lot of people didn't get ZooTV or Popmart either :shrug:

A lot of people didn't get ZooTV or Popmart either :shrug:

Giant metal claw, space chats, Bono wearing a suit of lights. The only theme here is "let's cobble together whatever it is we can find that looks cool and play music to it." There's nothing to "get."

Giant metal claw, space chats, Bono wearing a suit of lights. The only theme here is "let's cobble together whatever it is we can find that looks cool and play music to it." There's nothing to "get."

I'm sorry but that can really be said about all their tours - I really don't think they have ever had one unifying concept on any tour. This goes for Zoo TV and Popmart as well, as awesome as they were I don't really think they had one specific concept either but more a mismatch of ideas.

I'm sorry but that can really be said about all their tours - I really don't think they have ever had one unifying concept on any tour. This goes for Zoo TV and Popmart as well, as awesome as they were I don't really think they had one specific concept either but more a mismatch of ideas.

ZooTV had a theme, a rather clear one at that. On the Zooropa legs, it tied in very neatly with its parent album, reflecting visually the references to sensory overload and decadence spread throughout the album. While you could pin this as the band simply giving themselves an excuse to find cool shit to play in front of, it was creative and appropriate for the material. Popmart I'm not so sure about. While it clearly satirizes consumer culture, it was a bit of a mish-mash, more so than ZooTV, which was streamlined and coherent. But even compared to Popmart, 360's "theme" was lazily conceived, assuming there is one.

Ah the tired riposte, I see-

Oh please. He's talking out his ass, not about the music (which he may have heard) but about the visuals which at best he'll have seen shitty handheld you tube footage of. I've been to the show, he hasn't, it means when he's talking crap about something he hasn't experienced, which I have I get to lord it over him.:wave:

Before the Zooropa leg, Zoo TV had a best 7 songs which visually presented the 'theme'.
Popmart if you are lucky had 4 songs (Mofo, Even Better than the Real thing, Hold me, thrill me, and Last Night on Earth) which presented visuals related to the stated theme and really Mofo shouldn't really be included it was more Pop Musik.

One would think if anyone in the U2 audience the 90's lovin', "we-ate-up Zoo TV/Popmart" fans would like this show... :shrug:

ZooTV had a theme, a rather clear one at that. On the Zooropa legs, it tied in very neatly with its parent album, reflecting visually the references to sensory overload and decadence spread throughout the album. While you could pin this as the band simply giving themselves an excuse to find cool shit to play in front of, it was creative and appropriate for the material. Popmart I'm not so sure about. While it clearly satirizes consumer culture, it was a bit of a mish-mash, more so than ZooTV, which was streamlined and coherent. But even compared to Popmart, 360's "theme" was lazily conceived, assuming there is one.

I think ZooTV eventually evolved into a clear theme, but started out just "cool shit". I think Popmart started out with more of a theme but threw a lemon and an olive in which confused things but there was no evolution.

Both were still very much missed by most of the audience, and that was my point.

I haven't seen a show. But the more clips I watch the more I see an evolution and a theme coming together one of space and time.

Before the Zooropa leg, Zoo TV had a best 7 songs which visually presented the 'theme'.
Popmart if you are lucky had 4 songs (Mofo, Even Better than the Real thing, Hold me, thrill me, and Last Night on Earth) which presented visuals related to the stated theme and really Mofo shouldn't really be included it was more Pop Musik.
I think you're being kind here
the "theme" and the songs played hardly touched eachother at all

I haven't seen a show. But the more clips I watch the more I see an evolution and a theme coming together one of space and time.
this does seem to the the "theme" indeed
it also hardly touches the setlist again
so some here might end up loving it

Wait just a minute! You havent seen a show yet?! :|
So what is all this talk then about how cool the new show is..???

LMAO

God I love this forum and BVS you are allright..

When did I say how cool the new show was?

You might want to look back...

okay, let me put it this way you have defended the setlist.
And I know your arguments how U2 allways does this etc but still:wink:

Maybe I confuse you with somebody else :)

okay, let me put it this way you have defended the setlist. :wink:

No, I haven't actually...

MonsierFly and many others have made this mistake to assume this as well...

The only thing that I have spoken up against are those that somehow made an issue of not "changing it up enough" and acting like that's new to U2. That somehow ZooTV is so much braver, when these setlists have a lot of commonalities... Or that I understand the need for WOWY that gets the whole crowd singing being left in the setlist...

Nothing more, nothing less.

I have stated several times that I would like to see The Fly, Gone, or Hold Me... but I'm not going to complain about it.

One would think if anyone in the U2 audience the 90's lovin', "we-ate-up Zoo TV/Popmart" fans would like this show... :shrug:

How? They hardly play any 90s songs and vague references to outer space do not constitute a theme. I have not read one review (bear in mind they are quality newspapers too) which refers to a space theme. What does Bono actually say in the show that is space-related? You just can't compare that with Zoo TV when they displayed the slogan "watch more TV", when Bono actually pretended to switch channels with a remote control, sang "we love to watch things on ZOO TV" on (of all songs) Satellite of Love, and played a televangelist in the encore. It was all over the interviews too- even Larry got in on the act, telling one bemused reporter "you get to come to a stadium and watch tv, how good is that?" Are they referencing outer space in interviews?

You just can't compare that with Zoo TV when they displayed the slogan "watch more TV", when Bono actually pretended to switch channels with a remote control, sang "we love to watch things on ZOO TV" on (of all songs) Satellite of Love, and played a televangelist in the encore. It was all over the interviews too- even Larry got in on the act, telling one bemused reporter "you get to come to a stadium and watch tv, how good is that?" Are they referencing outer space in interviews?

is any of that stuff why you liked zootv?

i remember very vividly all of those interviews, and the whole act- but it in no way is why i loved zootv. it looked cool, and sounded great.

i get the arguments about the setlist, and what they are leaving out- but the whole theme argument is just so ridiculous to me. who cares what the theme was, did it really add to the experience of the show for zootv? was it a better show because he switched channels between songs, or sang i like to watch things on zootv? i don't think so, it just simply looked cool, and it was a brilliant album they were supporting.

"Continuing with the Space Oddity theme, Bono broke off the music to mention how it was 40 years since man first walked on the moon." from this review U2 beguile with a turn to the space age as 'Claw' stage makes gripping debut

"It was like watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind with a bit of Later with Jools Holland thrown in." from this review Forget swine flu, catch U2 fever

Sitting not quite slap bang in the centre of the field, the much heralded 360 stage looks...well, bizarre. It's not a lemon, but it's coloured a strange lime green. The aliens have landed (and Bowie's "Space Oddity" is played more than once throughout the build-up to tonight's performance).
Appropriately enough, it's during "Magnificent," classic U2 updated in the most exhilarating way, that the stage set starts really showing what it can do -- rotating bridges, flashing lights, mad visuals all co-ordinating in a display of technical wizardry the likes of which we have never seen before in the context of live rock 'n' roll. Words fail, but suffice to say it's all very Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind...
"We wanted to build our space station in the capital of surrealism -- Barcelona!" Bono explains, before draping himself in an Irish tricolour and launching into "Beautiful Day" (the crowd reciprocate by humorously chanting, "Ole! Ole! Ole!"). from this review U2 Live In Barcelona: It's A Result!

Bono revealed that he carries a two act structure in his mind which guides his performance (which he readily admitted would not be apparent to anyone else). The first half of the show features “more personal songs” (which usually features Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Beautiful Day, New Year’s Day, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, Unknown Caller, Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights and Vertigo plus a changing selection of back catalogue classics) in which Bono envisages himself as a young man, struggling to find his feet in life and in search of some kind of personal epiphany. The turning point of the set is a mind-blasting techno remix version of the new song ‘I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight’, with the Claw on full acid house lighting effect turning the stadium into a spinning mirrorball. Given that the audience is not particularly familiar with the song (let alone a dance remix), it is actually intended to create a moment of disorientation and discomfort, ending with Bono on his knees, repeatedly singing the coda “It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain”. If I’ve got this right (it was 3 am when we were having this conversation, and many Marguerites had been consumed) from that point on his protagonist has been taken out of himself, and the second act begins in which he moves from the personal to the political, wrestling with the problems of the wider world in a string of songs that includes Sunday Bloody Sunday (recast to acknowledge the protesters of Iran), Pride, Walk On and Where The Streets Have No Name. There is then a coda (not a third act) which represents U2 at their most raw and vulnerable, stripped to the metaphorical bone, when we have all been exhausted by the outpouring of collective emotion and ready just to get down to the dirty truth. This is a hugely effective if counter-intuitive downbeat encore trilogy from the underbelly of love, featuring ‘Ultraviolet’, ‘With Or Without You’ and ‘Moment Of Surrender’. from Neil Mccormick U2: secrets of stadium rock - Telegraph Blogs

- and I can't find it right now but I know I've seen at least one more review that clearly references the "sci-fi theme".

"

- and I can't find it right now but I know I've seen at least one more review that clearly references the "sci-fi theme".

I'm not convinced by those somewhat spurious references- together they do not form a whole as coherent as ZOO TV. It would be pretty hard to write an authoritative review of that show without making a reference to television. With 360, we have a claw, we have songs like Space Oddity (played before a lot of people have even arrived) and the odd claim from Bono that the set is meant to be extra-terrestrial, but you just can't compare that with the (relative) tightness of ZOO TV in my opinion.

jp helmet makes several valid points and I agree wholeheartedly that the setlist is far important than any theme. Nevertheless, did ZOO TV's theme add to my enjoyment of the show? Yes, it probably did. I thought it clever and amusing, and when Mirrorball Man yelled "I have a vision, television!" Bono captured televangelism in one brilliant line. Maybe I am in th eminority there, but the fact is U2 have never been Def Leppard- they are capable of saying intelligent things about the world and on ZOO TV, that's what they did, but importantly, without as much suffocating preachiness. In the final analysis, interesting themes can never mask bad performances but they can make good performances more special

I'm not convinced by those somewhat spurious references- together they do not form a whole as coherent as ZOO TV. It would be pretty hard to write an authoritative review of that show without making a reference to television.
Well maybe because it was called zooTV, you were surrounded by TVs, and he used an oversized remote control? Maybe you just like themes that are more spelled out for you? :shrug: Nothing wrong with that.

There is actually a 'visual' theme for 360. Clocks appear in the visuals for a number of the songs.

There is actually a 'visual' theme for 360. Clocks appear in the visuals for a number of the songs.

Plus:

"Time is irrelevant, it’s not linear"

The opening line of the concert is a time and date. The ending song is a 'MOMENT of Surrender'.

From a bird's eye view the bridges make wandering clock hands.

From day one I've said Zoo Station would be perfect for this show. You have the "Time is a train..." line plus you have a steering wheel mic, "ready to let go of the steering wheel..."

Plus:

"Time is irrelevant, it’s not linear"

The opening line of the concert is a time and date. The ending song is a 'MOMENT of Surrender'.

From a bird's eye view the bridges make wandering clock hands.

From day one I've said Zoo Station would be perfect for this show. You have the "Time is a train..." line plus you have a steering wheel mic, "ready to let go of the steering wheel..."

Problem with Zoostation is that it can only be placed in the beginning of the encore because it is an intro song and in doing that they would repeat vertigo again which is kinda silly. The claw screams for the fly too while we are at it.:up:

Problem with Zoostation is that it can only be placed in the beginning of the encore because it is an intro song and in doing that they would repeat vertigo again which is kinda silly. The claw screams for the fly too while we are at it.:up:

And that's probably the reason they haven't brought it in... But I still think it could work where MW is, closing the main set, transition directly into a video break and then into UV.

But then again the Fly's visuals would be amazing for this tour, I'd be suprised if we don't see it in the states...

Of all the songs I thought would be perfectly suited to this stage, Hold me thrill me or Mofo but I think is because the lighting on Popmart for both songs used bright primary colours, and a lot of the lighting cues for 360 are bright primary colours. I don't think they'll go back to Zoo Station or the Fly this tour which is a pity. I also don't think the US will get much in the way of songs from Pop either, but by the 3rd leg there will be at least one in rotation (but I think it might be IGWSHA's)

i would love to see zoo station again. i think it could fit nicely in the cobl spot. they could move cobl to open the encore and then have uv, and it would still work or just rotate cobl with zoo station. zoo station would work before vertigo (be even better if they rotated vertigo with the fly, but will never happen).

better yet, since breathe is such a mediocre opener- just open the show with zoo station, and then do the 4 nloth songs. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom