Thoughts on Changes to the Setlists...and your thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
I'm certainly glad that the boys are making changes to the setlist. I mean, they're not Pearl jam, but a change or two a night is great.

However, they are removing some of the war horse tunes for tunes like Your Blue Room. Granted, it's a beautiful song, but I would bet most folks don't know it (or even care who Passengers are/were). People will fall asleep or ask their neighbors "Whats this song?" and then chat about it all through the song and miss it entirely).

If you're making a substitutionm why not play a song that rocks, instead of rocking us to sleep? Why not bring back All Because of You, Like a Song, Gloria, I Will Follow, HMTMKMKM, God II, Discoteche, even Desire?

Choose something loud and fast. They did the same thing in previous tours by throwing in In a Little While or Electrical Storm, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Hands that Built America, Into the Heart....slowish tempo songs.

Could it be they need a break or they are getting old and need a break mid show?

Personally, I'm happy with whatever they play, but many fans from back in the 80s will be annoyed w/ these "surprise songs" that are just bathroom break songs.

what do you think?

I personally think that the Chicago 2/Toronto 1 setlist is possibly the best they've ever played, and I wouldn't care if they played it every night for the remainder of the year. Putting Bad in either after Streets or, preferably, before One, would make the set even better, especially if they dropped Elevation to facilitate it (I'd say that Bad had a better response than Elevation at Chicago 1, anyway - it got some of the loudest cheers of the night), but I mustn't get my hopes up.

Also, ABOY is godawful, Like A Song is just decent and wouldn't fit anyway, Gloria would be totally out-of-place, IWF is miserably overplayed, God Part II is mediocre and overrated, and Desire is as pointless as Elevation. I'm not sure if they could make Discothèque work well on this tour. I can't answer for HMTMKMKM, because I think it would work quite well on this tour.

Whereas YBR is stunningly beautiful, and is absolutely perfect for this tour.

I personally think that the Chicago 2/Toronto 1 setlist is possibly the best they've ever played, and I wouldn't care if they played it every night for the remainder of the year. Putting Bad in either after Streets or, preferably, before One, would make the set even better, especially if they dropped Elevation to facilitate it (I'd say that Bad had a better response than Elevation at Chicago 1, anyway - it got some of the loudest cheers of the night), but I mustn't get my hopes up.

Also, ABOY is godawful, Like A Song is just decent and wouldn't fit anyway, Gloria would be totally out-of-place, IWF is miserably overplayed, God Part II is mediocre and overrated, and Desire is as pointless as Elevation. I'm not sure if they could make Discothèque work well on this tour. I can't answer for HMTMKMKM, because I think it would work quite well on this tour.

Whereas YBR is stunningly beautiful, and is absolutely perfect for this tour.

As for Desire I think the Claw set up is the perfect stage for the Mirrorball Man to re-emerge!

As for Desire I think the Claw set up is the perfect stage for the Mirrorball Man to re-emerge!

The Mirrorball Man is gone, along with MacPhisto and The Fly. Much as I love those characters, there's no chance they're ever coming back.

16 years from now people will be wanting Laserpointer guy back.

Mirrorball Man/MacPhisto are a thing from a specific tour, they are gone. You missed it. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I don't mind seeing YBR, but to me its a mediocre song at best. If i see it once, that is quite enough. i would much prefer the set with Bad over YBR. Bad is such a better song it doesn't matter how many times the two have been played.. I hadn't listened to YBR in years before they started rehearsing it. I would actually rather hear Pride than YBR.

YBR is going to become what Miss Sarajevo was to vertigo, the song that brings the show to a screeching halt and you have everyone talking very loudly and being totally disinterested. At least Miss Sarajevo had the opera section that pull everyone back for a moment.

They are really close to what would be a great setlist (for me) for this tour. If they could get a show with Stay, UTEOTW, Bad, and then have ES for elevation, and NYD for I still Haven't Found that would be just about perfect. The One-Amazing Grace- Streets would be perfect if they just added Bad and made it One-AG-Bad-40-Streets. That would be tough to top for me.

16 years from now people will be wanting Laserpointer guy back.

Mirrorball Man/MacPhisto are a thing from a specific tour, they are gone. You missed it. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I was just offering my opinion on a message board on something I liked. I'm sorry thats not ok with you. If I am not allowed to offer my opinion would you please let me know then what I am able to write? Please even send me a private message as to what I can write here. Also I didnt miss Zoo Tv as I saw several shows. It's a shame that I typed something that I liked and have to encounter a wise guy.

I was just offering my opinion on a message board on something I liked. I'm sorry thats not ok with you. If I am not allowed to offer my opinion would you please let me know then what I am able to write? Please even send me a private message as to what I can write here. Also I didnt miss Zoo Tv as I saw several shows. It's a shame that I typed something that I liked and have to encounter a wise guy.

You offered your opinion. It was perfectly valid. Chris offered his rebuttal to your opinion, which was also perfectly valid. I'm not sure what's wrong. Saying you disagree with an opinion is different than saying you don't think the person who holds said opinion shouldn't be allowed to post said opinion.

I'm certainly glad that the boys are making changes to the setlist. I mean, they're not Pearl jam, but a change or two a night is great.

However, they are removing some of the war horse tunes for tunes like Your Blue Room. Granted, it's a beautiful song, but I would bet most folks don't know it (or even care who Passengers are/were). People will fall asleep or ask their neighbors "Whats this song?" and then chat about it all through the song and miss it entirely).

If you're making a substitutionm why not play a song that rocks, instead of rocking us to sleep? Why not bring back All Because of You, Like a Song, Gloria, I Will Follow, HMTMKMKM, God II, Discoteche, even Desire?

Choose something loud and fast. They did the same thing in previous tours by throwing in In a Little While or Electrical Storm, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Hands that Built America, Into the Heart....slowish tempo songs.

Could it be they need a break or they are getting old and need a break mid show?

Personally, I'm happy with whatever they play, but many fans from back in the 80s will be annoyed w/ these "surprise songs" that are just bathroom break songs.

what do you think?

I think that U2 are going for a certain sound, a certain feeling this tour. A silver-blue sound: The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown caller, Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, etc.

The Vertigo tour was the straight-up rocker tour. They're doing something different this time.

I think that U2 are going for a certain sound, a certain feeling this tour. A silver-blue sound: The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown caller, Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, etc.

This is exactly right.

btw: I LOVE that they're giving Pride a rest! :))

Yes, and the rest can be over for Boston, please!

Not asking for both nights, but at least 1!!!!!!

Seriously, when they can drop One or WOWY or put them in rotation, they drop Pride AFTER they gave it the best performance of the tour for Chicago 1??

I am all for changes, but YBR can't replace the obviously lifeless WOWY?

This tour needs rockers and needs them fast. YBR, great, but not at the expense of Pride or other rockers.

How about Last Night on Earth, Discoteque, full band Desire, Holy Joe(want a rare song?), Gloria, 2 hearts, IWF, etc.

The Mirrorball Man is gone, along with MacPhisto and The Fly. Much as I love those characters, there's no chance they're ever coming back.

Doesn't mean they have to leave ZooTV's electricity to rot as well. Fuck acoustic Desire; just crank that shit and let the crowd reaction speak for itself.

The Vertigo tour was the straight-up rocker tour. They're doing something different this time.

As long as this silver-blue sound doesn't include Bullet the Blue Sky, I am cool with it!

:sexywink:

I was psyched to hear YBR, which is one of my faves. And guess what, TO2, not a chance. I felt like it was, for the most part, greatest hits, sing-along, with a few gems.

I'm really surprised they didn't play Pride again for the second Toronto show, but I'm not surprised about not hearing YBR again, it's clear they won't play it at every show. Nice that they brought back New Years Day though. Also, promising that they're shaking up the setlist more with Mysterious Ways before Beautiful day, although I must say I have to hear that first in order to make a judgement, because I feel BD is perfect after Magnificent.

You offered your opinion. It was perfectly valid. Chris offered his rebuttal to your opinion, which was also perfectly valid. I'm not sure what's wrong. Saying you disagree with an opinion is different than saying you don't think the person who holds said opinion shouldn't be allowed to post said opinion.

The only difference was my post didnt reak of sarcasm :wave:

I think the one suprising thing for me is no one criticizing walk on. Has to be the weakest track on this tour so far. It just seems as if Bono is more interested in the mask thing than singing the song. It sounds weak, and it using up a spot for a song like ES every night, or Kite. I loved it on the Elevation tour, sounded strong and got a message across. But on this tour its sounding awful!

I think the one suprising thing for me is no one criticizing walk on. Has to be the weakest track on this tour so far. It just seems as if Bono is more interested in the mask thing than singing the song. It sounds weak, and it using up a spot for a song like ES every night, or Kite. I loved it on the Elevation tour, sounded strong and got a message across. But on this tour its sounding awful!

I kind of agree. It came off a bit too forced Saturday night with like you said Bono worrying about the mask/people walking around. I'm fine with it now because it looks like Pride has been dropped. Those 2 songs next to each other was just too much.

you know, i thought the same thing about Walk On from listening to the bootlegs, but i thought it was very powerful in person.

I would take a tired old rocker over YBR anyday.

If I'm in my room, lights off, and I am really relaxing, then YBR is perfect...not so much in front of 80K people screaming.

Personally, I love the Chicago 2/Toronto 1 setlist very much. Of course, if Bad was squeezed in there, I would probably proclaim it to be the perfect 360 set for me. YBR, UTEOTW, and Stay. If I can't see Bad, UTEOTW is a brilliant replacement.

I was thrilled to be at a show where they debuted a song they'd never played before, but I wouldn't want to hear it at every show.

I was also thrilled to be at a show where they didn't play Pride.

I was thrilled to be at a show where they debuted a song they'd never played before, but I wouldn't want to hear it at every show.

I was also thrilled to be at a show where they didn't play Pride.

T to the H to the I to the S

I'd seen them over 40x and that was the first time I did not hear Pride.

Back
Top Bottom