The What In The Fuck Did They Do To Crazy Tonight thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fair enough that they're doing something different, but because the original version already exists on the album, this is the main problem for me. If it was the remix all along that made the album, and the original never existed, I would see it as less of a problem, but would just instead not be a fan of the song

Having heard both versions live (i.e., original version on Letterman, remix concert version on YouTube), one version isn't better than the other version for me (which is sad, because it could be such a great song live). I have a conspiracy theory about Crazy Tonight (emphasis: conspiracy theory). I think U2's record label strongly encouraged U2 to change the original, original version of CT to the version that we got on the album, via Steve Lillywhite (I believe that Universal believes Lillywhite can still make U2's new songs sound more radio-friendly, but that his decisions as producer really suck lately; the original version was probably that catchy Latin-sounding acoustic guitar groove that U2.com posted in a video last year). http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larryinstudio.swf Fast forward...U2 tried to take Lillywhite's version live (which we got on Letterman), but didn't like it (because they weren't feeling it), so they probably figure...screw it...for the 360 tour, let's try a remixed bongo version just to spite the record company and Lillywhite. Not that I have any evidence for any of this, but that's what I would've done if I were U2. :|

Having heard both versions live (i.e., original version on Letterman, remix concert version on YouTube), one version isn't better than the other version for me (which is sad, because it could be such a great song live). I have a conspiracy theory about Crazy Tonight (emphasis: conspiracy theory). I think U2's record label strongly encouraged U2 to change the original, original version of CT to the version that we got on the album, via Steve Lillywhite (I believe that Universal believes Lillywhite can still make U2's new songs sound more radio-friendly, but that his decisions as producer really suck lately; the original version was probably that catchy Latin-sounding acoustic guitar groove that U2.com posted in a video last year). http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larryinstudio.swf Fast forward...U2 tried to take Lillywhite's version live (which we got on Letterman), but didn't like it (because they weren't feeling it), so they probably figure...screw it...for the 360 tour, let's try a remixed bongo version just to spite the record company and Lillywhite. Not that I have any evidence for any of this, but that's what I would've done if I were U2. :|
:shifty:

not one for conspiracys, but....

I seriously get this scenario.

The sound isn't clear enough on any of the vids I've seen to make a judgment, to be honest. You can't pick out the bass, it just sounds like Bono shouting over clapping. Unless a studio version of the remix leaks out or I actually go to a show, I'm not going to criticize it.

That said, Crazy Tonight remix--->Sunday Bloody Sunday is the worst transition imaginable. You have to try to come up with something that awful.

In the studio, i would pick the original any day, the remix would sound awful and flat on a cd, but live for me its just so energetic, the band members get to interact, dance and party with the crowd, the reaction from the fans at the concert is most important, and from every video they seem happy.

The sound isn't clear enough on any of the vids I've seen to make a judgment, to be honest. You can't pick out the bass, it just sounds like Bono shouting over clapping. Unless a studio version of the remix leaks out or I actually go to a show, I'm not going to criticize it.

That said, Crazy Tonight remix--->Sunday Bloody Sunday is the worst transition imaginable. You have to try to come up with something that awful.

Well there are studio versions of the song right? Unless you mean the absolute actual mixed version they are playing which is Redanka with a bit of Dirty South at the end for the trippy sort of effect, and we do have both of those studio now.

Well there are studio versions of the song right? Unless you mean the absolute actual mixed version they are playing which is Redanka with a bit of Dirty South at the end for the trippy sort of effect, and we do have both of those studio now.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was an entirely new creation with some elements of the Dirty South mix utilized near the end. I'll check out this Redanka mix then.

I thought it was the best transition of the show.

:lol: Really? I think what upsets me more than anything about it is that it so perfectly sets up a run of Pop tracks, yet they end up just going right back to the warhorses. Plus, it sounds terrible. But that's really not the thing; there are a number of jarring sequences throughout the show that I have absolutely no problem with. This one is just the most disappointing.

Thanks for that. I went through quite a U2 remix phase a few years back, but one single release after another featuring nothing but remixes soured me on the concept for a while. However, this batch has been far more exciting and is having a greater impact on the tour. What is the exact title of the mix, is it the Sparks of Light dub or the Kick The Darkness vocal mix? Both are available on his myspace. Listening to Sparks of Light right now...very cool, getting an early Aphex Twin vibe from it.

I was lucky enough to be at the second Barcelona show and got to hear both versions live. I do love the Remix version. Adam just owns it. I also happen to love the album version though and it did go down better with the crowd at the Camp Nou. They seemed happier to bop along with the album version, got into the choruses (probably because they knew where the choruses were. . .) and loved the 'baby baby baby' part.

Its a hard one to call. It wouldn't hurt to play the remix one night with the album version the next, especially with the single being released soon. The 'wtf' looks in the crowd are priceless though when the bass kicks in and Larry's sprinting around the stage with a bongo. Brilliance

Seeing the standard CT live was the highlight of both the Barcelona shows for me

this.

when they have had such brilliant transitions in the past, and knowing what they could be doing, it just makes this so much worse.

have you actually listened to the transition?

i am assuming that my opinion is not the same as yours, so therefore its not valid, and that logically leads to conclusion I haven't even listened to the transition.

so, when did you lose your hearing? :wink:

I'm just glad that the majority of the people who have actually been to a show have enjoyed the remix tremendously, even if they went in with doubts after only listening to a bootleg or watching a youtube video of it.

And as someone who saw the remix and the album version in Barca 2 I can safely say that for me the remix is a thousand times better live than the album version.

Crazy Tonight remix--->Discotheque--->If You Wear That Velvet Dress--->Please--->Sunday Bloody Sunday = :heart::heart::heart:

Crazy Tonight remix--->Sunday Bloody Sunday = :huh:

In these threads that present some negative opinions about the setlists, the opener song, the CT remix, the concept of the tour, the overall disappointment, when the negative feeling about it/about how better it could be, then someone comes with the same comment which is something like: "have you been at any of the shows of the new tour?" or "have you already heard/seen it?".

in Paris, the crowd was going mental during the CT remix, and then when SBS started, well, they went even mental-er :D

i think it worked really well live... but what do i know, i was only there... lmfao!

I loved it. I want some balls to my live shows. If I wanted the same shit that's on the album then I'd just listen to the album. I go to a live show for a shake up of songs. New shit mixed up and thrown out there as something new and unique.

I just don't get the "let me hear the song exactly like it's played on the album" nonsense. It's so boring and sad. Why even go to a live show?

In these threads that present some negative opinions about the setlists, the opener song, the CT remix, the concept of the tour, the overall disappointment, when the negative feeling about it/about how better it could be, then someone comes with the same comment which is something like: "have you been at any of the shows of the new tour?" or "have you already heard/seen it?".

because been there, ACTUALLY, changes everything?? If it doesn't change what's the point of doing gigs, tours? What would be the point of going there? We could easily watch it at home in our bed and change the channel if we don't like the song...

And what to you mean overall? You mean, overall, people are disappointed?
:scratch:

And, last, Why do you keep braggin' on the concept? I really don't understand why there should be a concept! Playing for us is not enough?

I think the album version is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. :crack: -sorry.
But, I was quite curious about the live version, and after 3 shows now, I think it is one of the absolute highlights...:dance: :dance: :dance:

yep
at both amsterdam shows the crowd loved the crazy tonight remix party and then sBs just brought down the house

Back
Top Bottom