The New Year's Day bass riff is iconic...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Seriously, the New Year's Day bass riff is one of the most iconic moments in the entire U2 cannon, especially live. One, two notes max of that riff and the entire stadium is going nuts, nobody needs anymore to know what song it is.

duh-duh-DUH-duh, duh-duh-DUH-duh, duh-duh-DUH-duh

I wasn't expecting them to play NYD when I saw them at Giants Stadium on 9/23, but two notes into that bass riff my brother and I were yelling 'OOOOOHHHH!!!" and high-fiving each other.

One of the great moments in U2's cannon, especially their live cannon, right up there with the Streets organ.

Appreciate.

70er,cannon,tv,series-4f21ace958cf92dabd6b653622189f68_m.jpg

I appreciate, but you sorta got the riff wrong there. :wink: It's actually duh--duh--duh--duh duh-duh. If you get what I'm sayin'.

:up: One of Adam's finer works, and most recognisable riffs. Similar to Larry's drums to SBS, everyone knows that too. I always enjoy playing NYD.

I also wasn't expecting it to be played and when it started, everyone when nuts around me. It's one of the war horses that still kicks ass IMO.

I don't know if this thread really belongs in the tour section, it seems to be more an appreciation for NYD in general

but yes, it is, one of Adam's best if not THE best, and don't think the song ever really gets old live. I'm glad I've seen it live and I certainly would have been happy if they had played it on 9/12 in Chicago, but I have no complaints about the setlist ... despite the fact that the next day got YBR ... nope...I'm not bitter...:wink:

I like watching various live vids of this song- with Adam coming out and shining...Although I still think this is his tour- all are playing with energy and enthusiasm, but for me Adam is the shining star so far...:applaud:

(edit) Yeah, I was bummed by the Vertigo versions of Gloria sans the funky slap bass solo- was my fave part of that song...

Last edited:
I'd say it's Adam's second best. Gloria is still very lonely at the top. And I think it'll probably ay there.

In my mind, the bass line for With or Without You has always been on par with the one's you mention. While not as technically challenging perhaps, it does have that "song-defining" aura.

In my mind, the bass line for With or Without You has always been on par with the one's you mention. While not as technically challenging perhaps, it does have that "song-defining" aura.

That's true. :) That's my third favourite Adam bassline actually. So simple, yet so brilliantly perfectly fitting.

That's true. :) That's my third favourite Adam bassline actually. So simple, yet so brilliantly perfectly fitting.

As a result of these posts, I have been rocking out to my live versions of these songs.

Observation, I really liked the Strangers in the Night snippet in WOWY from 5-12-2005. I didn't realize that this was the only time this snippet has been included (thanks U2gigs.com for that info). Have you guys heard that version? While it isn't WOWY at its best, I really like this snippet. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom