Songs U2 need to Bring back on 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, Hollow Point isn't a troll just because he has rash, unorthodox opinions that he's quick to defend in some less-than-welcoming manner. Still sounds very much like a U2 fan to me.

Point well taken and I'd agree if what you said accurately described his posts. As you correctly point out, that doesn't distinguish him from most people here.

I still say that he's someone who's registered here only to bash U2 and every decision they make and argue for another band that shall remain nameless because it has taken up every other thread here.

I have no issue at all with strong complaints about and disagreements with U2. I have plenty myself.

1.)You really don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't even reason out what you say.

2.)U2 always did about the same thing when it comes to perceived expectations/desires of people at the shows. Songs like I Will Follow, Gloria, Electric Co, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40, etc were played all the time well after they were released because the fans expected it. They are the Until The End of The World's and One's and Beautiful Day's of the 1980s.

3.)Even if you have a general preference for the older stuff(which I do most of the time), you can't deny that U2 has written a ton of great songs since 2000.

4.)You keep talking relevance and has been status. Somehow, this doesn't fit with U2 being in the middle of what will easily become the highest grossing tour of all time when they are all in their 50s!

5.)The mods really should have banned you by now, because all you are is a troll. You've registered here simply to trash U2 by stating opinion as fact and haven't contributed anything positive in the way of discussion. There are plenty of people here generally dissatisfied with the way U2 does things today but they respectfully and articulately lay out their reasons why.

What are we waiting for, mods?

Actually, I make my arguments pretty clear. Maybe a bit sarcastic at times, but everything is well reasoned. To rebut the claim that they played the songs you mentioned for a long time, yeah, they did play some of them for a long time. But after 10 years they retired most of them, or played them less.

When they made Unforgettable Fire, people wanted another War and U2 knew that, but they didn't want to be the new Who (Bono said that). When they made Achtung, they were very concerned that it wouldn't go over well because it was so different. The didn't want to give people another Joshua Tree. ZOO TV was not what people wanted or expected, either. A lot of U2 fans were pissed off at that and didn't get it. Same with Zooropa. After ZOO TV, people wanted U2 to go back to "normal." Instead of doing that, they made Passengers, and Pop, and did the Popmart tour which was definitely NOT what people expected or thought they wanted, though the crowd at the show I saw fucking loved it; they loved the 8 pop songs we got, they loved HMTMKMKM; they loved the mirror ball. The crowd there, where they were surprised, where u2 didn't play down to expectations, was much more into it than the 05 show I was at, and I was in the circle.

As for U2s relevance, they are the ones who want it, and it is a fact that this tour, with 6 exceptions, could have been put on in 2000. It is sad that they are relying on old songs at the expense of their new music, which they presumably believed it, and now think "Oh, people don't want it, let's play I Will Follow for the 14,542nd time!"

What does a high grossing tour mean, anyway? Fuck all, that's what! Neil Diamond, Miley Cyrus, and Bieber are all high grocers (doing too much of the ol' avocado skin, if you ask me). Big venues + high prices + brand name recognition = high gross. It has nothing to do with relevance or artistic merit.

U2 have a vast, immensely popular discography to draw from. REM switch up the set a lot. The 08 show I saw had 4 songs in common with the 99 gig, and they played all of Acclerate minus one song. There is no reason U2 can't do that. By trying to figure out what people want and give them that, they are not doing the best they can. I'm not saying it isn't good, but it's not great, and it's lazy and foolish. They don't seem to be trying. That's my problem with them now. If they were playing 8+ songs off No Line, even Stand Up Comedy, I'd be happy. And they really should drop a lot of the 80s songs, and it's way to heavy on ATYCLB.

Kids are foul! I'm glad there aren't kids here. Their cursing is a bit too involved for me!

Just an FYI, based off of personal experience on a small handful of different webforums, adults are usually the ones who act childish, get out of line, or fail to have any form of eEtiquette. Not saying it doesn't exist in kids, and not saying it fits in just one category. Just something I've noticed.

Anyways, songs, tour, bring back, yeah.

Kids are foul! I'm glad there aren't kids here. Their cursing is a bit too involved for me!

I've been here for about half a year. This is easily the worst language I've seen, and also the highest average age for a web forum (and I've been a part of about 5 over 5 years). Don't have a problem with it, but I've got no idea what you're talking about. Plus, there are kids here (if you call someone under 18 a kid). Plenty. They're probably the least confrontational of all posters here.

I'm talking about teenagers in real life. I hear the most awesomely foul combinations of words!

I'm talking about teenagers in real life. I hear the most awesomely foul combinations of words!

I mean... you said "I'm glad there aren't kids here". Depending on who's pointing the finger I'm a 'kid' as well, so I figured I'd say something.

And foul mouths, yeah, but again that's solely dependent on where you are and what group of kids you're referring to.

Are BVS and Hollow Island the same person? If they were in a room together would the space-time continuum tear apart and a back hole form or something? This stuff is getting inflammatory.

Let's be friends. This is not a Metallica forum. Back on task. How 'bout:

Wild Horses full band over IALW>MS. The stadium could sing this one...at least the chorus.

Wild Horses would be OK if they played the album version, but I really doubt Bono can sing it now, and I doubt he'd mean it.

?

There were two versions of it from Vertigo - one with Edge with the acoustic and the full band kicks in, and the one a few times with Edge on electric, full band all the way through - which is like the album version. The one played in Boston on 5/28/05 I wouldn't call Temple Bar with a dash of oomph...would say it tries to stay true to the album version.

Also, while I'm in this thread, I'd like to see Original of the Species come back. Full band.

I'd like to see Crumbs From Your Table, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace or Else, All Because Of You, and Original of The Species make comebacks.

One can only dream :drool:

it would be awesome if they brought back Miracle Drug

I imagine EDGE going to the top of one of the bridges during the solo, and then, when they hit the "beneath the noise, below the dim" part, the bridge starts moving from LEFT to RIGHT, so while Edge sings, he looks in motion.
In the meantime, Bono is on the other bridge, and when his part comes ("the sun is in your eyes"), HIS BRIDGE starts moving from RIGHT to LEFT. (it's not like in the UTEOTW bridge sequence, it's one bridge doing a "wave", then the other one)

:love:

I should be a "show dessigner", I imagine things like this all the time...
who does that job for U2?

the one a few times with Edge on electric, full band all the way through - which is like the album version.

If you are describing as the Amsterdam version, that definitely sounds more like the Temple Bar edit with a bit of oomph to me...especially in the drums. Where/when they come in, the constant more dancier kick..and of course Edge's solo, which is just aces (nut not Temple Bar edit, no).

Oh and I agree on Miracle Drug - one of my favorite parts of Vertigo.

Actually, I make my arguments pretty clear. Maybe a bit sarcastic at times, but everything is well reasoned. To rebut the claim that they played the songs you mentioned for a long time, yeah, they did play some of them for a long time. But after 10 years they retired most of them, or played them less.

When they made Unforgettable Fire, people wanted another War and U2 knew that, but they didn't want to be the new Who (Bono said that). When they made Achtung, they were very concerned that it wouldn't go over well because it was so different. The didn't want to give people another Joshua Tree. ZOO TV was not what people wanted or expected, either. A lot of U2 fans were pissed off at that and didn't get it. Same with Zooropa. After ZOO TV, people wanted U2 to go back to "normal." Instead of doing that, they made Passengers, and Pop, and did the Popmart tour which was definitely NOT what people expected or thought they wanted, though the crowd at the show I saw fucking loved it; they loved the 8 pop songs we got, they loved HMTMKMKM; they loved the mirror ball. The crowd there, where they were surprised, where u2 didn't play down to expectations, was much more into it than the 05 show I was at, and I was in the circle.

As for U2s relevance, they are the ones who want it, and it is a fact that this tour, with 6 exceptions, could have been put on in 2000. It is sad that they are relying on old songs at the expense of their new music, which they presumably believed it, and now think "Oh, people don't want it, let's play I Will Follow for the 14,542nd time!"

What does a high grossing tour mean, anyway? Fuck all, that's what! Neil Diamond, Miley Cyrus, and Bieber are all high grocers (doing too much of the ol' avocado skin, if you ask me). Big venues + high prices + brand name recognition = high gross. It has nothing to do with relevance or artistic merit.

U2 have a vast, immensely popular discography to draw from. REM switch up the set a lot. The 08 show I saw had 4 songs in common with the 99 gig, and they played all of Acclerate minus one song. There is no reason U2 can't do that. By trying to figure out what people want and give them that, they are not doing the best they can. I'm not saying it isn't good, but it's not great, and it's lazy and foolish. They don't seem to be trying. That's my problem with them now. If they were playing 8+ songs off No Line, even Stand Up Comedy, I'd be happy. And they really should drop a lot of the 80s songs, and it's way to heavy on ATYCLB.

Well, I've been one of the most vocal detractors here about the ATYCLB overload on this tour! So I agree with you there. I don't agree on the 80s stuff- the set could definitely use more 80s like 2 Hearts and Seconds and In God's Country. Or Gloria or I could go on........

As for I Will Follow, it's easily one of their most energetic songs and it gets everyone jumping like crazy. It also reassures the old school fans that they're still remembered and appreciated. Different strokes, I guess, but why the hell are you complaining about IWF with Boots and Elevation in the set list??????

I Will Follow has gone a very long way toward fixing the 2009 360 LACK OF ROCKERS. I saw 360 in 2009 and was underwhelmed, I would've given anything to have seen it in 2010. Much better, much more energy.

Again, with the 10 yrs argument, it's hard to say that as we were starting from their debut on the world stage. What are you trying to say? Songs like Until The World shouldn't be included just because they're over 10 years old?

I appreciate the U2 history lesson, but I know very well what expectations were and what U2's intentions were and how that influenced the set list. Particularly on Zoo TV and Popmart.

But you are missing the 2 main points here.

1.)Zoo TV and Popmart were much, much different than 360. You correctly pointed out the AB reinvention, chopping down the JT, etc. With Popmart and the 8 songs you mentioned, we had a stage set customized to the album so they were kind of stuck playing those songs, regardless of how well the album sold. Plus, it's not like they didn't drop a few Pop songs out as the tour went on. DYFL and Miami come immediately to mind.

360 could obviously promote anything. It's not tied to an album or a mood.

2.)Most importantly, you can't realistically make the argument that U2 is leaning on older/familiar material too much when half of the set(at least) is made up of songs from the 2000s. You also can't when you look at songs like MS, MLK, IALW, Scarlet and Ultraviolet, to name a few, being played on 360.

Plus, you need to check your math. There are a lot more than 6 songs that you wouldn't have heard in 2000 in the rotation on 360.

It doesn't mean, as you would say, fuck all, that REM played almost all of Accelerate on their 2008 tour. What's that have to do with U2? We are talking about U2's setlists, and you didn't address what I stated about them: they've pretty much always followed the same type of pattern each tour. They've never been Pearl Jam or Springsteen. But as we well know, they'll still shake things up a lot more and play many more rarities than say, Tom Petty or AC/DC. Or almost any other act with a U2 sized catalogue.

5-7 songs from a not well known NLOTH wasn't enough? For most people I heard from, it was too many! Most bands with a popular catalogue going as far back as U2's will play 2 or 3 songs max from the token new album.

You have it backwards with relevancy and REM. It's REM that doesn't mean shit.

And how does ticket sales not have anything to do with relevance? That's just crazy talk, sorry. It shows that there is demand for a particular artist, and since all the Miley's and Diamond's you mentioned come nowhere near U2 in terms of gross, it does indeed mean a lot to have the highest grossing tour in history. Especially when you consider that touring is where the money is made in music these days.

Besides, just because No Line sold poorly by U2 standards, doesn't mean it was a commercial failure. It sold very well, actually and notice how much media(non U2 created) was out there, magazines, newspapers, etc when it was being released?

Trust me, I know because I'm in the business, U2 is still looked at as the biggest trend setters out there.

U2 is still the most widely seen live act and is still easily the most copied in the touring industry. That's relevance. Bon Jovi's Circle Tour is a complete mix of Elevation, Vertigo and 360, it's blatantly obvious. And that's only 1 example.

As for artistic merit, define it for us. You can't without adding your own personal opinion into it.

I went ahead and wrote it off as someone trying to get someone's goat by saying something deliberately inflammatory.

Too bad it didn't work. Could've been great. :D

Notice how gvox likes to get into these personal exchanges, even to the point of regretting it when it doesn't happen!

Then when called on it, he's all "what, me, what did I do??!!!! No, it's U2387 and everyone else that make everything personal!"

Draw conclusions from there.........

Notice how gvox likes to get into these personal exchanges, even to the point of regretting it when it doesn't happen!

etc etc blah blah...just stifle it, Edith.

Something tells me you actually thought that was serious regret. You didn't call me out on anything, I called you out for trying to issue some sort of rallying cry to have someone else declared a troll and banned. Not only is that hilarously ironic coming from you, but noone agreed with you.

So kindly go troll for battles somewhere else, you talk way too freakin much anyways..any few valid points you might have are constantly drowned out by your 10,000 word essays of meandering blabber :lol:

?

There were two versions of it from Vertigo - one with Edge with the acoustic and the full band kicks in, and the one a few times with Edge on electric, full band all the way through - which is like the album version. The one played in Boston on 5/28/05 I wouldn't call Temple Bar with a dash of oomph...would say it tries to stay true to the album version.

Just to clear up what I meant...there's a version I think it might be the alternate video one? Anyways in that one the kick comes in almost from the start..I guess that's not technically the same as the Temple Edit..that's the one I meant, anyways, the one that I feel they patterned the live Amsterdam rendition from..

I haven't heard the Boston one in a while so I've forgotten what it sounds like..linky?

Back
Top Bottom