Songs that are being played on the current tour that you're f**king sick of and WHY:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
I've just felt like venting a little bit about some of the songs that have been set list staples for the 360 tour so far. Feel free to add your thoughts as well:

1 - MLK - holy shit am I tired of this song. First of all, Bono doesn't even sing the full song. He sings one verse of it. If they're going to waste a song slot playing this, can't he at least sing the entire song. Still, I don't think they should waste a slot for this. If Bono will just be singing a single verse, he should use it as more of a snippet at the beginning of another song.

2 - Walk On - good God, just drop it already. Suu Kyi is being released and you've gotten your point across. Sure, this song was nice being brought back after Elevation, but now that it's been a staple for THREE legs, it's gotten boring and repetitive. Switch it with something else. (I'm thinking Kite or One Tree Hill!)

3 - One - I'm not going to bitch a lot about this one, because I know they'll never drop it. But this song really bores me after five straight tours of playing it every night. But it's really only the first two and a half to three minutes. Once the song really gets into its stride and they hit Edge's solo, I love it and I'm thinking "Oh god oh god this song is amazing!" But that feeling only lasts for a little bit. So that's my little vent session on that one :)

4 - In A Little While - it's been fun and a good time, but seriously. Time to go. Four ATYCLB songs is TOO much. Those slots could be filled by some awesome tunes like Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, One Tree Hill, Bad, and many others. Beautiful Day would be enough ATYCLB representation for me, but they'll include Elevation almost every night as well. Kick In A Little While and Walk On out and I'll be happy.

5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One. Sure, they won't get the audience as excited as the 'moles in holes with souls' song does, but a new song in this slot would be fun and exciting and new!

Thats about it for me right now. I could go on and on about which songs should be brought back, which songs should always stay in the set, and which songs should be shelved and never played live again. But that's for another time, another place!

The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While. But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.

The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While. But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.

I thought about WOWY, but I decided that ultimately, I like it every night. It always moves me and makes me feel good. Sure, Bono doesn't sing it the same as he did in the late 80's, but it's still an awesome song.

So I left it off.

I'm going with IALW. Maybe it's the placement in the setlist, but wow, talk about sucking the energy out of place. If I never hear that song again it will be too soon. I could almost stand hearing Stuck in it's place and that's saying a lot since I absolutely hate that song also.

The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While.

Agree. They're definitely songs that needs to go, not necessarily because they're bad (I don't think they are) but because they're getting weared off and could easily be filled by other songs. I don't think the audience will despair too much if these two goes, neither will I.

But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.

I don't agree with you on this, but that's from the perspective of what's best for the show. Personally I wouldn't mind that it got a little breather, but most of the audience would be really disappointed if it wasn't played. It's a classic U2 song that 99,999% of the audience is familiar with and that most of them really like. It'd be foolish to leave it off.

Perhaps they could come up with a different arrangement for it. Bono seems to be pretty sick of it as well (he isn't nearly as commited to it in his singing as before), so changing up a few things would perhaps make it feel fresh again. :)

One. It works very well on Achtung Baby and in its spot in the ZooTV setlist but it should have been retired after that. It is a nice song to listen to once in a while like So Cruel and Love Is Blindness but it has been played so much that I can not stand to listen to a live version of it anymore. The worst part is that it is fairly straightfoward with very little difference between each tour.

One. It works very well on Achtung Baby and in its spot in the ZooTV setlist but it should have been retired after that. It is a nice song to listen to once in a while like So Cruel and Love Is Blindness but it has been played so much that I can not stand to listen to a live version of it anymore. The worst part is that it is fairly straightfoward with very little difference between each tour.

This is exactly how I feel.

The only part I actually enjoy of the song now is the live solo. Other than that, I usually skip this song when it comes up on shuffle.

Walk On - Just fucking sick of it. Doesn't fit the space theme, the claw, etc. just get rid of it.

One - Bono can't sing it like he used to. Hasn't had a decent live version since Popmart. Replace with Please.

Elevation - Fun song but there's so many better 90s rockers that can replace it. Discotheque, EBTTRT, The Fly, etc.

In a little while - No explanation needed.

Beautiful Day - Boring. Boring. Boring. Replace with NLOTH.

With Or Without U - Same reason as One. Replace with All I Want is You.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Great song but come on! So many other great 80s protest songs that deserve to be played. Replace with Like a Song.

I Still Haven't Found... - Same reason as One and WOWY. Replace with One Tree Hill.

5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One.
I really hope they rediscover God Part II on this tour. It hasn't been played since Lovetown, and it sounds so good live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZKrc3qYk8
Also, I certainly wouldn't object to The Fly, as it's the one song I've wanted to see live ever since I became a U2 fan.

(On-topic: IALW, ISHFWILF, and WOWY.)

I've just felt like venting a little bit about some of the songs that have been set list staples for the 360 tour so far. Feel free to add your thoughts as well:

1 - MLK - holy shit am I tired of this song. First of all, Bono doesn't even sing the full song. He sings one verse of it. If they're going to waste a song slot playing this, can't he at least sing the entire song. Still, I don't think they should waste a slot for this. If Bono will just be singing a single verse, he should use it as more of a snippet at the beginning of another song.

2 - Walk On - good God, just drop it already. Suu Kyi is being released and you've gotten your point across. Sure, this song was nice being brought back after Elevation, but now that it's been a staple for THREE legs, it's gotten boring and repetitive. Switch it with something else. (I'm thinking Kite or One Tree Hill!)

3 - One - I'm not going to bitch a lot about this one, because I know they'll never drop it. But this song really bores me after five straight tours of playing it every night. But it's really only the first two and a half to three minutes. Once the song really gets into its stride and they hit Edge's solo, I love it and I'm thinking "Oh god oh god this song is amazing!" But that feeling only lasts for a little bit. So that's my little vent session on that one :)

4 - In A Little While - it's been fun and a good time, but seriously. Time to go. Four ATYCLB songs is TOO much. Those slots could be filled by some awesome tunes like Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, One Tree Hill, Bad, and many others. Beautiful Day would be enough ATYCLB representation for me, but they'll include Elevation almost every night as well. Kick In A Little While and Walk On out and I'll be happy.

5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One. Sure, they won't get the audience as excited as the 'moles in holes with souls' song does, but a new song in this slot would be fun and exciting and new!

Thats about it for me right now. I could go on and on about which songs should be brought back, which songs should always stay in the set, and which songs should be shelved and never played live again. But that's for another time, another place!

I agree with everything except placing One in your list.

Anyways....

MLK - Bye bye

Walk On - Would prefer Mothers of the Disappeared (the album version) but I don't really care, Walk On is one of my favorites from ATYCLB. But it's getting old.

In A Little While - U2, please. What alot of us want you to do to this song is not happening. Great song but a killer in a 360 setlist. :wink:

Elevation - I really LOVE this song, but it's getting old. It can be in rotation with another song, just less appearances.

Otherwise, that's all. The rest of the setlist is just great. :up:

Going in usual setlist order:

Mysterious Ways: Only because of the lack of the solo. It sounds so neutered and pathetic this tour. If they played it properly, I wouldn't be mentioning it in this post. I'd even prefer it if they experimented with the acoustic version from the Barcelona rehearsals rather than this miserable cop-out.

Elevation: Does it really need to have been played at almost every show for the last ten years? So many better rockers to fire up the crowd.

I Still Haven't Found: Ugh. Bono's new speech song. There's just not much left this song any more. Boring, dull, boring, dull. The only thing that has occasionally redeemed it are quality snippets at the end, but sitting through Bono's speech and a by-the-numbers performance of ISHFWILF for 30 seconds of Movin' On Up hardly seems worthwhile.

In A Little While: U2 need their heads checked, plain and simple. Cannot fathom why they brought this back. It'd have been OK on an arena tour, but not now.

MLK: Per the original post. After MOTD was so magical in this setlist spot for three shows in September, MLK's continued survival in the set irks me even more.

One and WOWY: Both sound terribly tired (especially WOWY, which has managed to plunge even further than its Popmart lows some nights this tour), but we know U2 are very averse to cutting them from the set - especially One. Well, rotate them. Simple solution. They serve roughly the same purpose, and given how many hits are in the set, very few casuals are going to even really notice not getting one or the other.

I think anyone who posts in this thread show state how many 360 shows they've been to or downloaded. Just sayin'.

(my only beef is the dropping of NLOTH material - but then, this isn't the NLOTH tour, it's the 360 tour.)

goat

I think anyone who posts in this thread show state how many 360 shows they've been to or downloaded. Just sayin'.

(my only beef is the dropping of NLOTH material - but then, this isn't the NLOTH tour, it's the 360 tour.)

goat

I don't think how many shows one has seen really impacts on the fact some songs just sound bad nowadays. I mean, WOWY today is so utterly lacklustre whatever way you look at it, and speaking as somebody who never had a chance to hear it in its heyday, I'd rather never have heard it live than heard multiple uninspired, feeble renditions. If U2 are going to play a song, they might as well play it properly.

But for the record, I've seen 7 shows, downloaded one, and heard a good number on live streams, and I agree totally that some of the NLOTH material was dropped too soon (or more to the point, that they kept a couple of the wrong songs).

I'm pretty much gonna echo everyone else's statements.

Drop:

WOWY needs to go. It hasn't really had much of a decent performance since the Slane Castle DVD one.

One should be played back a bit. Keep it in the set but not as often.

IALW should either go or be left to be played very little. I liked it at the show I went to but I think it has had it's time in the sun.

ISHFWILF is a sort of sleeper to me. Yeah sure it gets the crowd singing along but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. Lose it.

SBS seems to be getting a bit tired now. It's not terrible this tour but I have to say that it is starting to bore me.

Add:

Possibly play Staring At The Sun again? I'd really like to hear that song brought back. Even acoustically wouldn't be so bad.

We can all keep dreaming but honestly this stage just screams for Mofo! It would be epic if they did play this.

Gone should get another chance. It worked live and I really think it would work this tour.

I'd like to see The Fly played again.

TTTYAATW anyone?

Out Of Control would be pretty fun.

Twilight?

A Sort Of Homecoming is something I think they're not sure that they are gonna play it again but if it made a come back that would be awesome!

Not gonna happen but WILATW.

goat

What does that have to do with it?

Fine, if it makes you happy, I've seen 11 360 shows sofar, 7 last year and 4 this year. The amount of shows I've downloaded I'm not entirely sure. I have Amsterdam I,II, Dublin II, III from last year...Rose bowl, Hannover and both Brussels from this year, Helsinki and San sebastian IEM's.. and the rest I don't remember. I have the new songs all on mp3 from various shows, taken from Matt's videos mostly.

While I think the tour has improved this year bigtime, I still hate IALW. It does not deserve to be played every night. One actually sounds pretty decent now, I even enjoyed it live, which says a lot coming from me.

So, what can you make out from all this info? how does this change anything I said before?

My point, I suppose, is burnout. For the vast majority of 360 concert-goers, they go to one show and don't download a thing (other than official releases). Songs like One, ISHFWILF, WOWY, and Streets are known crowd-pleasers, everybody knows them and can sing along. Even the casual fans. Interference.com may be a cult (heh), but U2 fandom is not.

I'm wondering as well how many songs are played over and over again just because they are the bands' favorites.

goat

So most people want less ATYCLB and more Pop/AB?

Sounds about right for this site :lol:

-As for me, kick Miss S to the curb. Most pointless song in the set. Slower than a snail.
-Start adding more rotating portions of the setlist. Like what they did with IWF/NYD and for some reason stopped doing with MLK/MOTD. Some Nights play Mysterious Ways, and the next play EBTTRT. One night do AIWIY, then another do Bad etc.
-Continue debuting new songs, or never-played NLOTH songs, ISHF->MS can all be dropped for this purpose.
-The Walk On portion needs to be put away now. Find some other issue to promote, or just play a concert without needing a political message. I don't mind them at all, but you don't ALWAYS have to have them just because you're U2.

My point, I suppose, is burnout. For the vast majority of 360 concert-goers, they go to one show and don't download a thing (other than official releases). Songs like One, ISHFWILF, WOWY, and Streets are known crowd-pleasers, everybody knows them and can sing along. Even the casual fans. Interference.com may be a cult (heh), but U2 fandom is not.

I'm wondering as well how many songs are played over and over again just because they are the bands' favorites.

goat

Well I didn't complain about any of those songs right? Cause I know the casual fan will want to hear them, and the band has given the hardcore fans plenty of treats(Six new songs, plus rarities like Bad and MOTD and the return of HMTMKMKM and UV!). It's fun singing along to Still Haven't Found and WOWY, and I don't mind them at all.

If they ever stop playing Streets every night there'll be rioting from my side. Every random person needs to hear that song live at a U2 show.

Band favourites: IALW is obviously a fave. I reckon it's Edge and Bono on that one. I think it was A day in the life of Edge where he grabbed a guitar and randomly played it, that's back in 2005 while they hadn't played the song since 2001. Miss Sarajevo is one of Bono's favourite U2 songs, said so in I think Conversations with Michka Assayas(Also titled Bono on Bono). YBR was also one of his faves, sadly they dropped that last leg.

Well I didn't complain about any of those songs right? Cause I know the casual fan will want to hear them, and the band has given the hardcore fans plenty of treats(Six new songs, plus rarities like Bad and MOTD and the return of HMTMKMKM and UV!). It's fun singing along to Still Haven't Found and WOWY, and I don't mind them at all.

If they ever stop playing Streets every night there'll be rioting from my side. Every random person needs to hear that song live at a U2 show.

Band favourites: IALW is obviously a fave. I reckon it's Edge and Bono on that one. I think it was A day in the life of Edge where he grabbed a guitar and randomly played it, that's back in 2005 while they hadn't played the song since 2001. Miss Sarajevo is one of Bono's favourite U2 songs, said so in I think Conversations with Michka Assayas(Also titled Bono on Bono). YBR was also one of his faves, sadly they dropped that last leg.

Pretty sure Miss Sarajevo was only for Europe. In A Little While, man it's a great song but it should be gone.

Would like to see Your Blue Room back also, great song fitting with the space theme of the tour.

Still can't believe Trying to Throw Your Arms... and Last Night on Earth haven't been played yet. Those are like no brainers with this space theme.

Elevation, Stuck, In A Little While, City Of Blinding Lights (guess I'm in the minority, but it's a weak song imo), Vertigo, One, WOWY and Walk On.

I'm actually going to argue FOR Mysterious Ways staying in the set on the 360 tour. I think it is one of the strongest songs in the set right now. It always gets the crowd going, everybody's jumping up and down and singing along and dancing. Especially the "Put your hands in the air" part right before the solo....so funky!

I think on the 360 tour it's one of the best performances they've done of the song. Sure, it doesn't include the slide solo, but still, I think Bono is singing the song better than he ever has and Edge's guitar work sounds a lot crisper and a lot funkier.

The only thing I think they could do to improve the song live is to fix Larry's drumming - he seems really out of it during this song, he needs to be pounding those drums like he was on ZooTV and Popmart! And they should turn the bass speakers up a lot louder so we can get blasted with more of Adam's funktastic bass lines!

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom