Red Hill Mining Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In2U2

The Fly
With the recent tragic news of the miners in New Zealand (and the miracle of the miners in Chile)... I'm still holding out for at least a snippet of Red Hill Mining Town.

I know the recent rehearsals don't show it but I guy can dream, right?

Isn't it time that at least a part of this song see the light of day? :hyper:

With the recent tragic news of the miners in New Zealand (and the miracle of the miners in Chile)... I'm still holding out for at least a snippet of Red Hill Mining Town.
I, for one, also view major tragedies as nothing more than excuses for my favorite band to play tenuously-connected songs.

:|

Maybe they need to drop Elevation as well.
Good thing they're not playing Breathe, Exit, or Love Rescue Me, then.

Also, what with the recent October revival, maybe they could add I Fall Down. And we still need some Pop material...Last Night On Earth, perhaps?

One ticket to hell, please.

well... to be fair, we ARE expecting that song here in Chile... :reject:
That would actually be quite cool! RHMT is a pretty upbeat, anthemic song (wasn't it originally supposed to be a single?), so it'd work wonderfully as a celebration of the Chilean miners. Maybe they could use video footage of the rescue? :hmm:

:| You probably didn't mean it that way but if you think about it twice, you don't post a thread like this.

Anyway, I don't think they'll ever play RHMT, if 1987 Bono couldn't handle it then 2010 Bono certainly can't handle it. I think it's even less likely than Acrobat.

I think we should all go easy on the OP. Clearly was not intended that way, and I'm sure we've all had accidental moments where we say things that come out wrong and we have no choice but to put our foot in our mouths.

It's strange that U2 have never tried the song live once. It's never been snippeted that I know of. My band wrote a lot of songs that we never played live, but that's because they weren't good songs. Red Hill Mining Town is a great song, and if I'd have wrote it, I'd be out there struttin' it and letting it breathe!

I'm sure Bono could figure out a way to "alter the melody" so that he could sing it. However, I think he could probably handle it now better than he could in the late 80s/early 90s. While a lot of BOno's range has been compromised in the last 20 years, he can belt out those big "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" type notes better than he ever could.

hahahaha what an amazing opening post! that is seriously fucked up. I'm just picturing someone watching the news, hearing those miners have been killed and thinking "Oooh, maybe U2 will play RHMT?!"

like it's already been said, Bono couldn't even consider singing that song on tour back in 1987. If he thought about it now he may as well have a go at covering Queen songs too ;)

but seriously if they ever played it, it's not like they couldn't just transpose it to another key so Bono could actually do it. wouldn't sound the same though, the studio version of that song is one of his finest moments vocally. :drool:

Brilliant.

Bono could easily do RHMT if he sang the chorus an octave lower.

NLOTH is similarly difficult to sing, which is maybe why they dropped it in 2010. However, they did play it once in Helsinki (starts at 4:55), and Bono nails most of the high notes, until retreating a bit in mid-song (7:58)

YouTube - "Mysterious Ways - No Line On The Horizon" (Live) - U2 - Helsinki 2, Finland - August 21, 2010

Bono singing Breathe, NLOTH, and closing out with MOS, he could sing RHMT. Tune it done half a step and your good to go :up:

Such a hard song to sing...

...I prefer to think of U2 as being professional musicians, Bono a professional singer, and so yes, I have not lost hope......worse case scenario, play RED HILL MINING TOWN a-la-John Frusciante-soloesque style, ...exhibit A:

YouTube - U2 Red Hill Mining Town improv.wmv

...and to be quite honest with you all, I'd get my moneys worth just by listening to the Edge rip those chords, Adam hit those bass lines, and Larry be Larry, right infront of us in this 360 Tour, ...all this, while the B-man strums along to RHMT, (no singing necessary), ...this classic Rock tune would be a joy to my ears, just like that! ...Leonardo Da Vinci - "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!"

Back
Top Bottom