please tell me about ultraviolet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The good things about Ultraviolet:

1. Bono's voice ... amazing
2. The show with the Led jacket and the wheel mic. It's always a highlight.
3. The Auden poem intro and light show
4. The intro verse

The bad things about Ultraviolet ... just my opinion:

Song is boring. Really. I have been to 6 shows and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into this song. I almost always skip it on the album, too. The live version doesn't do much to improve the song for me. And I found most people in the audience have been confused by this song, hardly anyone knowing it or singing alone. The song was really starting to get on my nerves during the last shows. The Baby, Baby, Baby bit is so corny. Sorry but I wished U2 would have chosen another song for the encore or at least rotated the songs a bit more. The only really entertaining thing about this song is Bono doing these weird gymnastics on the 360 degrees wheelmic, that's always nice to watch.

I doubt it will be dropped, highlight of the show with Crazy tonight. The performance and the visual effect of the jacket and Bono swinging on the microphone look great.

The good things about Ultraviolet:

1. Bono's voice ... amazing
2. The show with the Led jacket and the wheel mic. It's always a highlight.
3. The Auden poem intro and light show
4. The intro verse

The bad things about Ultraviolet ... just my opinion:

Song is boring. Really. I have been to 6 shows and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into this song. I almost always skip it on the album, too. The live version doesn't do much to improve the song for me. And I found most people in the audience have been confused by this song, hardly anyone knowing it or singing alone. The song was really starting to get on my nerves during the last shows. The Baby, Baby, Baby bit is so corny. Sorry but I wished U2 would have chosen another song for the encore or at least rotated the songs a bit more. The only really entertaining thing about this song is Bono doing these weird gymnastics on the 360 degrees wheelmic, that's always nice to watch.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I'm sorry...I know this is just your opinion...but holy mother of god...what in the blue hellllllllllllllllll.....how? Wait. What?

Yep, I'm in a minority here, just being honest. I don't mind the song, but I don't think it's a great song. I'd rather hear something else instead. :sexywink:

I wasn't a huge fan of the studio version of Ultraviolet, but when I saw/heard it on the ZooTV tour I was completely hooked. Live (like most U2 tunes), it just takes on a whole new life/persona and I think really showcases Edge's guitar work.

So again, to see/hear it this tour was a real treat.

Actually...I think the "you bury your treasure where it cannot be found" line is one of the most epic lines/melodies that has ever come out of Bono's mouth. I mean the lyric itself isn't anything brilliant...but the way he sings it...wow. Especially in terms of transforming a song from studio to the live setting....I mean if you listen to it on the studio version or even on the ZooTV versions, there's nothing really special there...he follows that same melody throughout each verse...but on the 360 Tour, that line reaches new heights. I remember hearing it for the first time on youtube after Barcelona I gig, and I had no idea it was coming...it was breathtaking.

it's a great improvement on the album and ZOO TV versions
the show around it looks great
still not one of their better songs but I like it as the first encore and I guess The Fly yet again could also be considered overkill

One of my favorite songs ever and, judging off the youtube clips, one of the highlights of this tour. Bono's voice has never sounded better than it does when he's singing this song nightly on this tour.

The jacket and atmospherics are cool. And it seems that by now he's finally learned how to work with the "steering wheel" mic. Him swinging on it around the stage. And goddamn, when he gets into that 2nd verse, he really gets into it.

Question though, at the first London show, Bono changed the 2nd verse up a little bit.

"I guess it's the price of love, I know it's not cheap..." has been changed to something else but I can't quite decipher what he's saying. Help me out: YouTube - U2 London 2009-08-14 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

I love this song, one of my all time favorites. I have seen U2 on the last 4 tours and finally got to hear it 3 times in Dublin this July.

how can it be better than the zoo tv version?

the best thing about it is the last minute and Bono can't even sing that bit anymore!!

How? Well on this tour they play it with alot more energy and passion. It also sounds more like the studio version. And Bono sings the shit out of the ZooTV versions.

the best thing about it is the last minute and Bono can't even sing that bit anymore!!

Can't sing, he got a lot more opera in his voice now then in 92, he could do that now without any problems. Just because he dosnt do that now dosnt mean that he cant. Ever heard of Miss Sarajevo or Opera part in 2009-07-07 - Milan - Magnificent?

YouTube - U2 Milan 2009-07-07 Ultra Violet

I think it might be marginally more passionate, but that is largley due to Bono not being able to control his voice in the same way.

Being able to whack it out like he did in 92 would have been epic IMO. I don't think he could do it anywhere near as good as the video I posted above now.

His voice is different now than in 92 of course, but I far prefer the 92 version, far more power and control. Listening to the 92 bootlegs the vocals are at the forfront of almost everything, but not so much now IMO

I think it might be marginally more passionate, but that is largley due to Bono not being able to control his voice in the same way.

Being able to whack it out like he did in 92 would have been epic IMO. I don't think he could do it anywhere near as good as the video I posted above now.

His voice is different now than in 92 of course, but I far prefer the 92 version, far more power and control. Listening to the 92 bootlegs the vocals are at the forfront of almost everything, but not so much now IMO

I think Bono has alot of more control these days, his technical is alot better.

But I don't see whats more powerful in 92? The strongest part in the whole song is "I remember when..." and on 360 tour Bono sings the shit out of 92 Bono.

ZooTv is very overated vocaly, the only bit that was strong on that tour was the falsetto.

Just compare Bonos Vertigo/360 tour voice with his ZooTV voice

BAD

Wide Awakes are extremly strained, he cant reach it with a powerful clean voice, 5:13 in this clip
YouTube - U2 - Bad - Washington DC - 1992-08-16

but listen to the Wide Awakes in 4:52, he hits them more powerfull and clean.
YouTube - U2 - Bad - Washington DC - 1992-08-16

same in 4:55 in this clip

YouTube - U2 London 2009-08-15 Bad

NYD

Strained
YouTube - U2 - New Year's day - Washington DC 1992-08-16

2:13 in this clip, he hits it clean, holds it longer. One thing that is intressting is that at that moment Bono was very tired in his voice but still manage to hit the notes.
YouTube - U2 - New Year's Day (Buenos Aires)

The thing is that even if Bono is tired in his voice some nights, he manage to hit the powerful notes. Wich is also a proof that he has alot more control then back in 92.

Here are a few examples that Bono didnt have power and technique to do back in ZooTV:

4:26 in this clip
YouTube - U2- All I Want Is You live from Buenos Aires

4:15
YouTube - U2 Milan 2009-07-07 Magnificent

Arms in 2:03
YouTube - Bono & Alicia Keys: Don't Give Up Africa (live!)

1:59 in this clip is a example on how good he is on combining rough power with technical singing.
YouTube - U2 Moment Of Surrender, Paris 2009-07-11

I think Bono has alot of more control these days, his technical is alot better.

But I don't see whats more powerful in 92? The strongest part in the whole song is "I remember when..." and on 360 tour Bono sings the shit out of 92 Bono.

ZooTv is very overated vocaly, the only bit that was strong on that tour was the falsetto.

Just compare Bonos Vertigo/360 tour voice with his ZooTV voice
power with technical singing.
quote]

I get very puzzled when I read things like "technically he's a lot better- he has more control." Isn't that a euphemism for "he has his limitations now?" Don't get me wrong- Bono's voice in 2009 is in very good shape, perhaps the best shape since 1995, but I can't agree with those who think that his voice sounds better now than on ZOO TV. Firstly, the irritating scratchiness of his post-97 voice hasn't gone away, even if it is less of a problem; secondly, whilst Bono is hitting an impressive number of high notes, he doesn't do so with the power or conviction of previous years; thirdly, his falsetto has clearly declined since Zoo TV; fourthly, I don't think his phrasing is at all good sometimes; and fifthly, his voice no longer has the rich, crooning depth it had on ZOO TV. He seemed to be using his low register more back then and I think it enabled him to sing with "a cool roar" (an excellent phrase which other posters have used). These impressions are always hard to put into words- the best thing is to compare renditions of certain songs over the years. I will always take the ZOO TV version of UV over this one, as good it is because that crooning, deeper, thicker voice will always be his best in my view.

PS- I disagree that Bono's voice is better on the later version of NYD. He might hit more notes on Buenos Aires but I'm talking about the "sound" and on the Washington rendition it just sounds fresher, richer and more prominent. Also I can't stand the way Bono now sings "nooo years day" instead of "new years day."

I read somewhere, can't remember where? That Bono said there is nothing more he enjoys than listening to the crowd singing U2's songs back to him. :hmm:

Yes he maybe acting the Monkey swinging on the mike, but Bono used to be hugely energetic during U2 shows of old, often running a lap or two round the heart (remember that?)

I think this is the replacement for that energy. For anyone that thinks Bono's voice and heart aint into singing Ultraviolet anymore needs to watch and listen to this.

YouTube - U2 Ultraviolet Wembley 14th August 2009

I filmed this Friday night at Wembley. You will have your proof that Bono AND the Audience were more than on form that night! :hyper:

On the flip side of that, Bono's voice struggled the next night in a few places. But then he was a bit merry :drunk: coming out of a club at 4am that morning :lol:

I get very puzzled when I read things like "technically he's a lot better- he has more control." Isn't that a euphemism for "he has his limitations now?"

He had limitations back in ZooTV, just listen to the Wide Awakes from ZooTV he strained he voice extremly when trying hitting that note. It was like an roof that stopped him from going up high like he did in 85,05,06 and 09. O

Firstly, the irritating scratchiness of his post-97 voice hasn't gone away, even if it is less of a problem;

I like the scratchiness a bit, it gives the voice a bit more personality :)

secondly, whilst Bono is hitting an impressive number of high notes, he doesn't do so with the power or conviction of previous years;

Give me one example of Bono get those powerful sounds on ZooTV:

"Wave" in 3:05(wich I think is his most powerful sound ever)
YouTube - Wave of sorrow U2

"L'amoure" in 4:08
YouTube - U2 Miss Sarajevo LIVE Milan

"Lie" in 4:02

thirdly, his falsetto has clearly declined since Zoo TV;

I agree :)

and fifthly, his voice no longer has the rich, crooning depth it had on ZOO TV. He seemed to be using his low register more back then

Give me one example from ZooTV when Bono have this deep voice:

1. From 2006
YouTube - Bono Solo - A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates

2. From 1989
YouTube - Bono & The Edge(U2) : Wild Irish Rose '89

Also one thins I specially miss with ZooTV was his emotional voice he has now.

Well I cant believe anyone would think Bono of now is better than Bono of 92 when he hard arguably his finest vocals.

He may sound better one one or 2 songs now but no way overall is he a better singer he was then, just think of how many songs he murders thesedays.

i think he is a bit more passionate now - especially on tunes like Bad, but i wouldn't confuse that with vocal ABILITY - not that passion cannot sound good.

I just don;t think his passion in this tours UV can touch the singing ability of UV 1992

Why cant you belive it? seriously people enjoy different things, different sounds, are they not allowed to?

Why cant you belive it? seriously people enjoy different things, different sounds, are they not allowed to?

because it seems very obvious to me as a singer he has declined big time since 1992.

but yes it is obviously very subjective. i would have thought the vast majority who have heard both tours would have agreed with me hence why i am a bit surprised.

Well Bono's voice was deeper to my ears back in 1992 and 1993. Would anyone else agree? Either he doesn't choose to sing in a lower register now or he has lost the ability to do so but that is what I liked most about his ZOO TV voice- it was a croon really. He seems to sing the verses of UV in a deeper voice on ZOO TV.

Well I cant believe anyone would think Bono of now is better than Bono of 92 when he hard arguably his finest vocals.

His finest vocals? His falsetto was at his finest but his full voice was somewhat weak, especially compared to now. Now we have a much better full voice and a spotty falsetto.

His finest vocals? His falsetto was at his finest but his full voice was somewhat weak, especially compared to now. Now we have a much better full voice and a spotty falsetto.

We do? really?

Say what you want, Bono is doing a great job this tour but how the hell can anyone compare his vocals, his swagger, his absolute kickass delivery of ZOOTV to 360. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. I did study music and I KNOW what is good and what is a little bit less good when it comms to the voice. Taste of course is a different matter but there is just no way that anyone with knowledge of vocal delivery is stating he has a better voice now. One advice: take your Zooropa dvd out of the box and listen to it in full and then compare it to anything after that. Again, everyone has different taste, but I do not think that is the issue. He is doing a fantastic job (with the exception of WoWY which is horrendous) and I never thought his voice would be in this state after all these years. :up:

We do? really?

Say what you want, Bono is doing a great job this tour but how the hell can anyone compare his vocals, his swagger, his absolute kickass delivery of ZOOTV to 360. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. I did study music and I KNOW what is good and what is a little bit less good when it comms to the voice. Taste of course is a different matter but there is just no way that anyone with knowledge of vocal delivery is stating he has a better voice now. One advice: take your Zooropa dvd out of the box and listen to it in full and then compare it to anything after that. Again, everyone has different taste, but I do not think that is the issue. He is doing a fantastic job (with the exception of WoWY which is horrendous) and I never thought his voice would be in this state after all these years. :up:

Yes, I agree with this post. The problem I have is trying to put my feelings about Bono's ZOO TV voice into words because the difference is hard to put your finger on but "swagger" is definitely a word I'd use- perhaps "authority" is another. In that sense, it reminded me of Bowie's voice on the Serious Moonlight tour in 1983, rich and commanding.

We do? really?

Say what you want, Bono is doing a great job this tour but how the hell can anyone compare his vocals, his swagger, his absolute kickass delivery of ZOOTV to 360. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. I did study music and I KNOW what is good and what is a little bit less good when it comms to the voice.

I'm speaking purely on technique. And yes I've studied voice and his full voice is much better than ZooTV. Delivery, swagger, we can argue those till the end of days, and in fact I might agree with you on swagger, but purely based on technique and full voice range a vocal coach would prefer 2009 Bono to 92 Bono.

I'm speaking purely on technique. And yes I've studied voice and his full voice is much better than ZooTV. Delivery, swagger, we can argue those till the end of days, and in fact I might agree with you on swagger, but purely based on technique and full voice range a vocal coach would prefer 2009 Bono to 92 Bono.

The funny thing is, I think we agree but not quit. Techiquewise you are right maybe. But a better technique doesnt mean a better and suited voice necesarily and unfortunately. He knows better now how to use the tool but the tool he uses isnt what it used to be. It's like a experienced man driving an car with some problems. Because of experience you can not realy tell that there is a problem but people working in the garage know better. the expereinced man used to ride in a beautiful new ferrari but was almost missing the corners sometimes because he wanted to go full steam. Does this makes sense at all, I am burning here in the sun and I want to sleep. bye :wave:

Wasn't the way he was using the tool the reason why the tool isn't the same anymore ?

The funny thing is, I think we agree but not quit. Techiquewise you are right maybe. But a better technique doesnt mean a better and suited voice necesarily and unfortunately. He knows better now how to use the tool but the tool he uses isnt what it used to be. It's like a experienced man driving an car with some problems. Because of experience you can not realy tell that there is a problem but people working in the garage know better. the expereinced man used to ride in a beautiful new ferrari but was almost missing the corners sometimes because he wanted to go full steam. Does this makes sense at all, I am burning here in the sun and I want to sleep. bye :wave:

We'll have to agree to disagree...

My ideal Bono voice would be the falsetto of the early 90's along with the full voice of today...

Back
Top Bottom