Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am actually really hoping for a very mellow No Line On The Horizon.

I think it would really build and build and get the crowd going.

Second song should be Breathe to tear the place down.

Yeah there are threads about this in the U2 Set Lists section of this tour forum if you're interested. :wave: This will probably be moved there anyway, or whatnot.

I'll just quote my post from another thread

Fez Intro
Intro video or whatever they're going to use to open the show into
Beginning of No Line on the Horizon
Spotlights are on each of the band members and the rest of the stage is dark.
The band blasts into the second verse (I know a girl with a hole in her heart) and at that moment the stage explodes with lights and color and the crowd goes insane.

That's how it's going to start

/thread

I'll just quote my post from another thread
Fez Intro
The band blasts into the second verse (I know a girl with a hole in her heart) and at that moment the stage explodes with lights and color and the crowd goes insane.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

after hours of usefull thinking lol
id say its gonna be 'No line on the Horizon'
as the first song. think ZOO TV (Zoo station)
you know what i mean :D and listen to the
raw version of NLOTH on the bbc culture show
its Awesome.plus the stage version will be more
fuller and powerfull especially da edges raw
guitar distortion/fuzz @ so many 1000 watts:applaud:

soundcheck/rehearsals in Barcalona will reveal
all but my $$$$ are on 'No line' and boots is more
a 2nd song imo not a stadium tour opener..

Fez Intro

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

I have thought something similar. Maybe No Line on the Horizon having a few basic lights and the 2nd song on the setlist would be probably Boots with the stage exploding with lights, color, etc.

"I know a girl...." NLOTH would seem the obvious choice.

They opened with a new album song on ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation and Vertigo.

Open with Streets. Get it over and done with upfront. And then the rest of the setlist can be structured afresh, different from the past 4 tours.

Interesting.At the moment Springsteen opens with Badlands and then the first single is played. I think I would like it if they open with something like streets ... :yes:

My complete guess is since the summer tour is starting in Europe and it will be daylight when they hit the stage they will open with a rocker. So that would mean "Boots" unfortunately as I don't want it to open. My vote would be fore "No Line" and I think it will open at some point on the tour.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't think "Breathe" or "Magnificent" would make good opening songs. :shrug:

I think it should go:

Intro (probably Fez over the PA but don't be surprised if its not ;) )
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent

But it probably wont! LOL :) This is the fun part though, guessing what may happen.

Interesting.At the moment Springsteen opens with Badlands and then the first single is played. I think I would like it if they open with something like streets ... :yes:

:no: CLOSE with Streets!! :drool: ;) OR play Streets in the middle of the set like Lovetown.

If they did that and play God Part II or Hawkmoon 269 I can die a happy U2 fan! LOL

The opening song is going to be "Boots" or "Magnificent" -- I hope "Magnificent"!!! That would be ideal.

For those saying the opener will be NLOTH .. have they even played that song live yet? They didn't on GMA, or the 5 nights they had on Letterman... I don't think they really view it as a live song.

The opening song is going to be "Boots" or "Magnificent" -- I hope "Magnificent"!!! That would be ideal.

For those saying the opener will be NLOTH .. have they even played that song live yet? They didn't on GMA, or the 5 nights they had on Letterman... I don't think they really view it as a live song.

YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon Live in Dublin [HD - High Quality]

Really? ;)

They didn't really play City Of Blinding Lights other than Brooklyn Bridge on the Vertigo promo tour either. I think it opened a few shows. ;)

I think U2 should break the trend of always starting the show with a song from the new album...I think it'd be great for them to come on stage and play one of the "greatest hits" that would get everyone in the stadium pumped...kind of like when Pearl Jam opens songs like "Alive" or "Betterman" on occasion.

U2 could easily open with a song like Streets, Desire (full on electric ala Lovetown), Beautiful Day, Pride....any of the well known hits would get the crowd in a frenzy as of song #1 and set the tone for the rest of the show.

I think U2 should break the trend of always starting the show with a song from the new album...I think it'd be great for them to come on stage and play one of the "greatest hits" that would get everyone in the stadium pumped...kind of like when Pearl Jam opens songs like "Alive" or "Betterman" on occasion.

U2 could easily open with a song like Streets, Desire (full on electric ala Lovetown), Beautiful Day, Pride....any of the well known hits would get the crowd in a frenzy as of song #1 and set the tone for the rest of the show.

I see your point- I would love them to open with Zooropa- it would be a real manifesto for such an ambitious show.

It has to be Breathe!

With a nice long drum intro. Then maybe Boots to keep the energy up. Everyone will be waiting for Magnificent, and i think the best place for this is at the start of the encore. Hopefully they won't close anything too slow and depressing. Something like Crazy tonight would be fab - it's nice and uplifting, like walk on was on Elevation.

IMHO Breathe would be a killer opening song

Larry on drums for about ten minutes:bonodrum:

LOL

But more realistically Magnificent has a more COBL feel to it

YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon Live in Dublin [HD - High Quality]

Really? ;)

They didn't really play City Of Blinding Lights other than Brooklyn Bridge on the Vertigo promo tour either. I think it opened a few shows. ;)

I think it's hilarious (and kind of cute) how Bono feels compelled to call out the changes ("middle eight!") on that clip.

Hey, Bono, your middle eights come after the second chorus on 95% of your songs. I mean, what else is the band going to do - launch into a freeform jazz exploration? :wink: I think the band's got it figured out by now.

I knew about that performance, but I don't really consider it "live"... there was no crowd there! And they had ample opportunities to play it in front of crowds recently and chose not too.

:scratch: So in order for a song to be considered as an opener it must be played during the promo tour???? I'm not getting your logic here. Clearly they consider it a live song if they are rehearsing it live. Like I said, what about City Of Blinding Lights on the last tour? Didn't appear at most promo shows but was the song used most as an opener.

So long as Bono can reproduce those powerful "oh, oh's" in NLOTH then it has to be the opener. There's a certain feeling to those, a feeling of defiance, which would be perfect as an opener.

:scratch: So in order for a song to be considered as an opener it must be played during the promo tour???? I'm not getting your logic here. Clearly they consider it a live song if they are rehearsing it live. Like I said, what about City Of Blinding Lights on the last tour? Didn't appear at most promo shows but was the song used most as an opener.

I could be wrong; if so, correct me. But 1st single on ATYCLB? Beautiful Day. 2nd single? Elevation. Concert opener? Elevation. Second song in concert? Beautiful Day.
HTDAAB: Singles were Vertigo then COBL, in concert it was COBL then Vertigo.
Seems like a pattern, so..
This time? Singles were Boots then Magnificent. I'm guessing it goes Magnificent then Boots in concert.

If that seems too "superstitious" or something, you did mention that they played COBL on the promo tour, at least once or twice. They haven't played "Horizon" at all. The point is that if they thought "Horizon" translated well to a live setting (as in, with a crowd), I think they would have played it by now. They ARE trying to sell their album, after all, so you'd think they'd want to put on the best show possible in these promo appearances. To "hide" or "save" a song that they think is going to be such a great live song that it is worthy of opening the concert seems like a stretch to me.

I could be wrong; if so, correct me. But 1st single on ATYCLB? Beautiful Day. 2nd single? Elevation. Concert opener? Elevation. Second song in concert? Beautiful Day.
HTDAAB: Singles were Vertigo then COBL, in concert it was COBL then Vertigo.
Seems like a pattern, so..

elevation was the 3rd single (stuck was 2nd).
cobl was 3rd in the UK, and 4th in the US.

popmart was mofo, followed by i will follow. mofo was the 7th single released.
zootv was zoo station, followed by the fly. the fly was the 1st single. zoo station never released as a single.

not really a pattern there.

NLOTH or Boots will open. I am betting NLOTH followed by Boots. Magnificent is going to open the 1st or 2nd encore. I don't think it will open the show.

Furthermore, at all the European concerts in 2005, Vertigo opened with COBL in the middle of the main set.

My bet is also on NLOTH to open, or if U2 decide to do rotational openers, NLOTH and Boots. I reckon the band would want to do something special with Magnificent's lighting, so it'll appear later in the set when there is full darkness.

elevation was the 3rd single (stuck was 2nd).
cobl was 3rd in the UK, and 4th in the US.

popmart was mofo, followed by i will follow. mofo was the 7th single released.
zootv was zoo station, followed by the fly. the fly was the 1st single. zoo station never released as a single.

not really a pattern there.

NLOTH or Boots will open. I am betting NLOTH followed by Boots. Magnificent is going to open the 1st or 2nd encore. I don't think it will open the show.

I stand extremely corrected.

Still, my point about them not playing it on the promo tour stands. Magnificent has such a great slow build-up at the beginning, and they could do something awesome w/ the lighting when it really "takes off," to send the crowd into a frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom