Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fez IMO is the best song on the album. I love that song. I think I'll pass out if they start to play it. But somehow I'm afraid they won't. :sad:

I had a dream that first night Barcelona they opened the show like this:

1. Lady With The Spinning Head
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Spanish Eyes
4. No Line On The Horizon II

Fez IMO is the best song on the album. I love that song. I think I'll pass out if they start to play it. But somehow I'm afraid they won't. :sad:

I love, love, love, this song. I'm not sure about an opener, but I bet if they play it, the audience will be spellbound.

Fez will be used as an intro either at the beginning of the show or in the encore. Being Born however will not be played. Maybe once or twice the whole tour. And there's no way in hell it'll open the show.

a pedestrian start to the set list...

As much as I love Breathe, there's no way they should start gigs with that song. It's way too slow a record. It won't get people off their seats. Having NLOTH as the second tune won't help either.

They need something lively. Think back to previous tours and the gig openers, Zoo Station, Streets, Vertigo, COBL, Elevation etc, they're much more lively.

They should kick the gigs off with either Magnificent or Boots.

Wow I've been out all day and missed all this, finally caught up...that UF video sounds unbelievable....

I really would not worry about ES...there's no way Larry plays that intro and they put it up on U2.com and then don't play it...it just wouldn't make much sense at all...:shrug:

Electrical Storm - though I'm not sure if that is just an attempt to throw us off what they really intend to play. Hope not, I for one love it!

I know they started a rehearsal with Breathe but I would be very suprised if they started an actual gig with it.

I'm actually off on holiday today so will miss the all the excitement of the two Barcelona gigs - roll on the Amsterdam shows though I'll be there!

opening song

It's cool to think they will get esoteric and out of bounds with an opening song (UF) but I doubt it. Thinking in a reality vs. wishing vein:

1. NLOH part 1 or 2 : this song will be cool and when Bono let's the song "break free" with the OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH! part the energy will really pick up. B/c this song does not blast of the gate like a runaway truck - I like that it. Gives us some foreplay and during the song the whole crowd senses what just might be next.......

2. Magnificent: after making it thru NLOH and being romanced - the boys will kick into the beginning of Magnificent and reward us for our patience. Delayed gratification friends. To me this would be awesome and not unlike the meandering Zoo Station - Fly - Even Better than the Real Thing starter in 1992.

Or hell they could just open up with "A Sort of Homecoming" and I'd crap myself 2 minutes in.

ee

Let's make a bet

The first words spoken by Bono (prerecorded or live) will be:

THE FUTURE NEEDS A BIG KISS

any questions?

:wink:
Just like the version of Get On Your Boots with alternate intro? (The future... the future.... the future... The future needs a big kiss!)

As big and energetic magnificent is, i cant see it being the opener, it just seems like there are other songs out there that can do the job alot better, like Breathe, GOYB, NLOTH, we need a good rock tune to send the crowd wild, magnificent doesnt come across to me as a rock song :)

As big and energetic magnificent is, i cant see it being the opener, it just seems like there are other songs out there that can do the job alot better, like Breathe, GOYB, NLOTH, we need a good rock tune to send the crowd wild, magnificent doesnt come across to me as a rock song :)

I agree. Breathe is probably the best opening song they've got on the record. I hope it isn't Magnificent at any point on the tour.

yeah, opinions are like you know what, but mine is that magnificent is absolutely the best song to open this tour. the intro brings the tension until it just explodes at 0:46. come on, guys. please change it up for the north american leg. breathe is a good song, but not great. the only problem with magnificent opening is that it'd be downhill from there with whatever other NLOTH songs they followed it with. i'd take it, though...

Breathe works very very well as an opening song. Especially the progression of band members entering the stage. I've actually enjoyed the six other NLOTH tracks being played live more than Magnificant, so hope they don't change it to that. Boots would also work well as an opening song, but I wouldn't change the current 4 song sequence to open up the gigs. They gel well imo.

Ill be rather shocked if they do change the opener for chicago. Not because i think Breathe is the best opener ever, which its far from, but because everyone is expecting it to change, or hoping, and i just cant see it happening. I do think the 4 new songs in a row will change, i can see vertigo/elevation/UTEOW dropping in after NLOTH or GOYB.

Back
Top Bottom