omg remixed magnificent rules! -OR- wtf this shit sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the clip from U2.com sounds much better than the clip we've heard. I think people should probably wait to hear a full/proper version before trashing it or loving it (mostly trashing it it seems).

perfectly fine to dislike it, of course, but i think it's a bit premature to crucify it without either 1- having been there or 2- hearing it in a proper form.

Don't think you need to hear it in any better quality to judge that the Tutu samples and a wishy-washy intro replacing the best part of the song are not an improvement.

Don't think you need to hear it in any better quality to judge that the Tutu samples and a wishy-washy intro replacing the best part of the song are not an improvement.

Tutu samples, I agree with.

the intro, yeah, I miss the old intro, but I don't know that you can actually make out everything that's going on aside from tutu talking.

was hoping you meant

27303.gif

:sad:

It's the Not Penny's Boat mix, brotha.

mhhh, I just heard it for the first time, and I think I like it. But I guess I would miss the intro when hearing it at a concert....:shrug:

...a wishy-washy intro replacing the best part of the song are not an improvement

...and that for me is the key essentially. The big intro is completely missing, the tension right before the solo has gone away. Even though Larry is drumming more I feel it has less teeth than the original version, although many critisized that for being too slow.

Just go back to the old version, this new one is really killing the song.

I actually kind of like it...it's especially cool that they incorporated elements of the Soweto Gospel Choir version. If they'd just replace the Tutu speechifying with the old intro, it'd be perfect.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking this version's lighting more than Mag 1.0's plain blue lights.

What does everyone always have against Tutu? Honestly it's getting a bit tired now. U2 likes incorporating his - very brief - thoughts into a song. Get over it.

That's not the point. People aren't saying "get Tutu out of here, I don't wanna see him," the speech he has before One is fine. People are complaining why he has to appear a second time in the same fashion during Magnificent, which just doesn't make sense. It's not Tutu per se that is "disturbing", it's just that it's absolutely random to put him into Magnificent from one day to another. The messages have to make some sense. Might as well put an easter rabbit there, it's as random.

Apart from the fact that I link Tutu to more serious topics by now, so putting him into an up tempo song called Magnificent is already a bit bizarre for my taste. But what do I know. Maybe we'll have CNN flashes during Beautiful Day next...

Thats all well taken but the fact is that people were already bitching about him being a part of their precious One. imo, what matters is that they felt it worthy of inclusion..so i take it as being up to us to try and understand the idea they are trying to convey.

Also I dont think having soundbites of his during an uptempo song is all that out of place really he sounds almost..celebratory? in his exhortation so in that sense its a fit...

They ruined my favourite song from NLOTH. Bastards.

i think "ruined" is a bit hyperbolic. I think the increased rhythm adds some juice to the song but I miss the intro and I prefer LESS political jumbo in U2 concerts, not more :crack:

Also, I think the obviously pre-recorded gospel voices kind of make everything a bit too staged and artificial feeling. And what happened to the "justified, till we die, you and I will magnify" part?? :| but other than that, the main bulk of the song sounds the same, so I dont know how 'ruined' it really is.

I also agree with everyone that the studio version of magnificent has more 'lift', ambiance, and power than any subsequent live version.

No, they ruined it. :wink:

The first live version is fucking awesome. Video from either Milan show and that performance of the song are just brilliant.

I saw in Mexico City, and I think they've ruined it. But then it was my fav song in the show, so any tinkering was likely to have a disproportionately negative response from me.

If the band are getting a little fatigued with the song after playing it for so long, it might be time to drop it for a while, or drop it from staple to rotator status.

They may be conflicted to drop it as it will drop the NLOTH representation from 4 down to 3 (even though they aren't touring in support of that album anymore), If that is the case, it is the perfect opportunity to revive Breathe or the title track, or even give SUC or Fez their live debut.

No, they ruined it. :wink:

The first live version is fucking awesome. Video from either Milan show and that performance of the song are just brilliant.

Holy shit just watched this video... yea, you might be right :lol:

YouTube - ‪U2 Milan 2009-07-07 Magnificent‬‏

Still if they are getting fatigued of the song they should give it a breather for a bit as the new version is a bit too "plastic" if that makes sense haha

After seeing it live, I still don't like it. The Tutu thing is completely misplaced. It's like they felt bad about taking him out of the One intro, and felt the need to make up for it by sticking him someplace else.

I haven't heard it live... But damn, it sounds awe full, and now people who have seen it live hate it as well. So I don't expect it to get any better soon.
I hope they don't play it at Glastonbury because it would be an instant fail among the festival crowds.
It just sounds so weird and awkward. I'd rather even hear the busking version of NLOTH. Which I think is pretty bad as well.

Back
Top Bottom