omg remixed magnificent rules! -OR- wtf this shit sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The old intro was fine, the intro played on Letterman and some other promo shows was awesome. This intro was flat.

They all seemed to miss different cues which kinda sucked the punch out of the song so I'm not going to smash it until another listen.

I do think any version should be sped up though.

The Tutu stuff sucks and is irrelevant to the song.

The album version's intro is made for a stadium. I thought it was lame when the intro was shortened for the single. Now for this 'remix' the best part of the song is gone entirely!

I don't like it either, for all the reasons already stated.

The Tutu stuff was okay on the first couple legs, but I'm really over it now. Why they decided it would be a good idea to actually insert him into the middle of a song is a mystery to me. It doesn't work.

to retweet repeat myself

re: magnificent...at least they got rid of the cool intro. i really didn't enjoy the most non-generic part of the song.

This deserves another repeating.

And the Desmond Tutu sampling makes no sense at all.

Except for Tutu, which is a little nonsensical (and I can't make out what he actually says) - anyone else thought the visuals were very impressive?

I personally love the song more than most people I think, but I've never thought the live version really hit if off - it never really hits that dreamy, transcending "it"-feeling I get from the studio version.

So I'm pleased they're trying something new with it, and I like the idea of an upbeat Magnificent... But I'm not sure this is the way to go. I reserve judgment until I get a better sounding clip.

And the best part of the song is the solo, guys.

I listened to it once like two hours ago and from what I gather they changed the intro, cut out a verse, and sped it up. The intro, as many have noted, is basically the only interesting part. It's sort of like playing Miss Sarajevo sans the Pavarotti verse. Of course, Miss Sarajevo is much better than Magnificent.

I've played it back on YouTube today and it sounds like a Soweto Gospel Choir remix with recorded voices joining Bono's. It is quite different, with new synths and dinky melodies. I think Bono messed up somewhere, cos the song seemed to be all choruses. That confused the hell out of me last night, that did. I prefer the old version. Think we're gonna be stuck with the new version though.

Btw I really liked the floaty dreamy intro. Better than the "What time is it in the world? Where we going?" intro. So that intro with the old version please!

Wtf is the deal with Tutu? Are they gonna remix Breathe next and stick up some footage of Kofi Annan?

Tutu lives in Soweto, which links in with the Soweto choir's backing vocals.

God, I just played it back again on YouTube, I didn't realise last night just how they've butchered my fav 360 show song. It really sounds awful on that terrorstitch video.

Can only repeat myself: What a shambles! I cannot believe they actually took out the massive Whammy intro. Who comes up with those ideas???

...probably the same person who suggested on the last tour to leave out the lights at the beginning of Streets!

This was Willie Williams idea, but to be fair so was Zooropa and EBTTRT

And the best part of the song is the solo, guys.
The best part of the song were the drums that didn't make the final cut. In one of those clips from U2.com before the album release.

I really like the album version, the live version doesn't work that well for me.

i actually love the studio version and the fred falke remix, but was totally underwhelmed by this severely neutered version...

maybe they're still working on it? but why they'd cut the best bits is beyond me...

And Scarlet, and Your Blue Room, and Return of the Stingray...

So all in all, still a winner to me.

Just dont expect a full discotheque anytime soon, per his diary:

We looked at 'Crazy' as well and had another go at an idea we tried out last year, which was to make it a bit of a mash-up with Discotheque. We did do this once or twice and I can’t quite remember why it didn’t last. I think there was a discussion as to whether this addition was making the song better or just making it longer, but either way it didn’t survive. Having now got a chance to revisit the idea, it has come storming back into the frame, so fingers crossed.

Who else gets the feeling that they'll give the "remix" one more shot and if it doesn't kick some ass, we may have seen the last time Magnificent is played?

Shame cause I love the studio version and expected great things for it.

I'm hoping that it was just an experiment. Everyone in GA sit on the ground and protest if they play it this way at the next show! :wink:

We looked at 'Crazy' as well and had another go at an idea we tried out last year, which was to make it a bit of a mash-up with Discotheque. We did do this once or twice and I can’t quite remember why it didn’t last. I think there was a discussion as to whether this addition was making the song better or just making it longer, but either way it didn’t survive. Having now got a chance to revisit the idea, it has come storming back into the frame, so fingers crossed.

Has he said anything about what they did to Magnificent and if it's permanent?

1079862211.jpg

Yo, it was just alright for me dawg.

The original is better, but I give credits to the guys for trying to change their sound....
But instead of changing 1 of the new song 2 years after it went out, they could release new stuff with this remix-dance beats..... EBTTRT is, however, the best version of the song ever!

Doesn't actually sound too negative to me. I'm happy they came back to the idea, but I don't see why it's a problem to play Discotheque right afterwards. The transition works very nice and they could play a full version. Maybe they're concerned about Discotheque --> SBS, which thematically of course is a weird transition...but so was Crazy.

I really enjoy his diary!

I don`t like this new Magnificent version at all.
Seems they thought let`s speed it up so it`s over sooner than later.

If they are tired of the song than why don`t they just replace it with NLOTH.
Now that`s a song wich I thought soundend amazing live.
(and I don`t mean the semi\acoustic version from last year:wink:)

Cheers ,

Mauwer

the clip from U2.com sounds much better than the clip we've heard. I think people should probably wait to hear a full/proper version before trashing it or loving it (mostly trashing it it seems).

perfectly fine to dislike it, of course, but i think it's a bit premature to crucify it without either 1- having been there or 2- hearing it in a proper form.

the clip from U2.com sounds much better than the clip we've heard. I think people should probably wait to hear a full/proper version before trashing it or loving it (mostly trashing it it seems).

perfectly fine to dislike it, of course, but i think it's a bit premature to crucify it without either 1- having been there or 2- hearing it in a proper form.

That's what we love to do and do best. ;)

But you're right, live is always different than something you watch over youtube.

Back
Top Bottom