Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the band themselves get bored night after night? I have been asking this since Zoo TV. It is not only the setlist that is identical, it is also the routines, speeches, dance moves, stage positioning, etc. They have been playing arenas and stadiums (stadia?) since 1984. The novelty of playing in front of 80,000 people has worn off over the past 25 years.

I do whole-heartedly agree.

The irony here is that in 1989 Larry said to Bono he didn't want to be part of the "U2 jukebox" anymore; churning out everyone's favorite hits night after night, and if this is what it was gonna be like, he wanted out.

I guess Larry changed his mind.

On one hand I understand the band is obligated to play certain staples for the average fan who is a casual fan. Every band does this. It's just that most people on this board are not casual fans, they're maniacs obsessed with u2. And that's cool. Where it breaks down into setlist bitching is one half of the board screams for "Acrobat" and the other half defends every move the band makes, welcoming back another plodding rendition of "Pride"....

Eh. Personally I couldn't care less anymore. It's a pointless arguement. The band will probably throw in a few different tunes as the tour progresses, but the basic setlist you see now is here to stay. Any radical changes, apart from maybe changing 2 songs per show, is not gonna happen.

I have a question: do you guys think that if U2 played a set tomorrow night that did not include any non-NLOTH song that's been played so far on this tour, would casual fans really leave the stadium unhappy? This is just a hypothetical, I don't really think they should completely drop a lot of those warhorses. I'm just trying to show that U2 has a strong enough back catalog that they could completely drop everything aside from the NLOTH songs and they still have more than enough quality stuff to make a great show. But even I would be a little disappointed in not hearing Streets and a few other warhorses, and with some, namely One and With Or Without You, it's not so much wanting them dropped as it is wanting them played with passion again.

Something like:

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Lemon
Drowning Man
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Unknown Caller
A Sort Of Homecoming
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Mofo
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Fast Cars
Two Hearts Beat As One
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Please

Kite
Bad
Moment Of Surrender

And really, you could put put The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet(Light My Way) in there too, because they're the opposite of warhorses.

But minimal changes could dramatically improve the current setlist:

Fez-Being Born
Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
If God Will Send His Angels or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stay(Faraway, So Close) or All I Want Is You or Desire
Electrical Storm
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Mofo or Discotheque or Until The End Of The World
Please
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride(In The Name Of Love)
MLK
One
Walk On

Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Bad or Love Is Blindness
With Or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

I have a question: do you guys think that if U2 played a set tomorrow night that did not include any non-NLOTH song that's been played so far on this tour, would casual fans really leave the stadium unhappy? This is just a hypothetical, I don't really think they should completely drop a lot of those warhorses. I'm just trying to show that U2 has a strong enough back catalog that they could completely drop everything aside from the NLOTH songs and they still have more than enough quality stuff to make a great show. But even I would be a little disappointed in not hearing Streets and a few other warhorses.

Something like:

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Lemon
Drowning Man
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Unknown Caller
A Sort Of Homecoming
New Year's Day
Mofo
Fast Cars
Two Hearts Beat As One
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Please

Kite
Bad
Moment Of Surrender

And really, you could put put The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet(Light My Way) in there too, because they're the opposite of warhorses.

Right on! :up:

I think every show shoud end with 40 but during Zoo Tv Love is Blindness blew me away. I wish that song was played more.

I used to think that. But the Vertigo tour changed my mind. I thought Bad worked better closing than 40 on Vertigo. 40 was perfect to close for 80's U2 but it didnt seem to have quite the same effect when they did it on Vertigo.

Doesn't the band themselves get bored night after night? I have been asking this since Zoo TV. It is not only the setlist that is identical, it is also the routines, speeches, dance moves, stage positioning, etc.

Do Broadway actors get bored? It's the type of band they are, do they act bored to you?

Why so much speculation?

Has U2 become nothing but a broadway show?

As for the 90% who dont know the set list from the night before there are alot of people who go to see U2 because its the in thing to do and these are not the true fans whose first casette was Boy and have followed the band since 1980. These are the fans who deserve more. Why because they are the true fans. Who cares about some rich guy who goes to see a U2 conncert because its the in thing to do?

Also they are musicians and not rocket scientists. How hard is it to play different music on different nights. I mean its not like they are trying to find the cure for cancer? They tour or basically go to work every 3-4 years while most of us work everyday. In my opinion U2 has become mechanical and I wonder if they enjoy touring anymore or just counting cash? Again your a musician..How much passion are you putting in your show playing the same thing over and over throughout the year.
What do you mean "has become" this is U2, this is how they have been. Some of you must be new to U2. Why do you deserve more Bruce? Because you look at the setlist on the internet?

Are you joking? I'm pretty sure everyone on this board is going to more than one show.

Are you joking? :huh: Man, some of you are extremely out of touch.

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Lemon
Drowning Man
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Unknown Caller
A Sort Of Homecoming
New Year's Day
Mofo
Fast Cars
Two Hearts Beat As One
One Tree Hill
All I Want Is You
Please

Kite
Bad
Moment Of Surrender

I think it's a great idea, but once you get to Fast Cars, Two Hearts, and One Tree Hill the idea becomes unrealistic.
I think if you took out those 3 tunes and put in Streets, Mysterious Ways, and The Fly you still get a great setlist.
However, I still think Breathe as an opener sucks.

Do Broadway actors get bored? It's the type of band they are, do they act bored to you?

actually, yes, after attending 25+ shows from 1992 through the present and viewing every commercially released show and countless bootleg videos dozens of times, i can say without hesitation that edge and especially larry appear painfully bored to me quite a bit. Now of course, I haven't the faintest idea how they feel. I am just stating what impression I get from their facial expressions and body language. And why do I speculate? Because I am a U2 fan interacting with other U2 fans and I am curious what others think about this topic. There is nothing deeper to it than that.

I don't get that impression at all. Particularly from Edge. He's got so many things going on that I don't think he has time to be bored on stage.

perhaps bored is not the right word. maybe a better phrase is an appearance of sometimes "going through the motions." again, that is just my impression and it certainly does not apply to every show. but that is all actually besides the point of my original question - which is don't the band get bored performing the same songs and routines every night? I'm legitimately asking it; it's not meant to be a rhetorical question. I'm simply not qualified to answer it not being a performer.

actually, yes, after attending 25+ shows from 1992 through the present and viewing every commercially released show and countless bootleg videos dozens of times, i can say without hesitation that edge and especially larry appear painfully bored to me quite a bit. Now of course, I haven't the faintest idea how they feel. I am just stating what impression I get from their facial expressions and body language. And why do I speculate? Because I am a U2 fan interacting with other U2 fans and I am curious what others think about this topic. There is nothing deeper to it than that.

Edge moves and does about 5x more than he did in 92, how can he look bored to you? As for Larry, I'll ask you again, are you new to U2?

I used to play in pit bands for musicals. After 3 weeks of the same show I wanted to jump out the window.
I don't do those anymore.
I haven't the slightest idea how u2 manage to not get bored with the same setlist every night.

I think if they got bored performing the same songs and routines every night they wouldn't do it. I don't remember anyone holding a gun to their heads to keep releasing records or touring.

If they really didn't want to be doing what they're doing, they wouldn't be doing it.

I think if they got bored performing the same songs and routines every night they wouldn't do it. I don't remember anyone holding a gun to their heads to keep releasing records or touring.

If they really didn't want to be doing what they're doing, they wouldn't be doing it.

I agree. However, my speculation is that half of the desire to do it is from the joy of doing it, the other half is motivated by "what else is there to do"?

They've been performing in front of people for 30+ years; you can't just turn that off.

Edge moves and does about 5x more than he did in 92, how can he look bored to you? As for Larry, I'll ask you again, are you new to U2?

first, read my post, i'm obviously not new to U2. second, read my follow up post where i concede "bored" may not be the right word, instead "going through the motions" might be better. just because a person is performing in a high intensity, active role such as what edge does during a show does not necessarily mean that his heart is always into it even though he performs it wonderfully. Look, these are just my personal impressions and they don't apply to every show I've seen. And finally, obviously larry has been a sullen character back there for years. Who knows what he is thinking while he is banging away...while bono and edge are dueling on the catwalk he is probably thinking about motorcycling through the french countryside the next morning for all I know

I used to play in pit bands for musicals. After 3 weeks of the same show I wanted to jump out the window.
I don't do those anymore.
I haven't the slightest idea how u2 manage to not get bored with the same setlist every night.

And some people love it. A good friend of mine plays for the Symphony, she loves it, same show night after night, she doesn't know how I do what I do.

Different strokes for different folks!

People, stop acting like you fucking know how they feel...:doh:

first, read my post, i'm obviously not new to U2. second, read my follow up post where i concede "bored" may not be the right word, instead "going through the motions" might be better. just because a person is performing in a high intensity, active role such as what edge does during a show does not necessarily mean that his heart is always into it even though he performs it wonderfully. Look, these are just my personal impressions and they don't apply to every show I've seen. And finally, obviously larry has been a sullen character back there for years. Who knows what he is thinking while he is banging away...while bono and edge are dueling on the catwalk he is probably thinking about motorcycling through the french countryside the next morning for all I know

Thats nice paying hundreds of dollars to see 4 guys who go to work every 3 to 4 years go thru the motions??? Someone say it isnt so!!!

I would prefer to just have more songs where Edge can play a solo. The Fly, Please, UTEOTW, EBTTRT, etc.

while i haven't watched too many of the bootlegs, to me the setlist is a bit bland for my taste. Still, this is first impression of the songs versus what I like personally.

If I can make it to the show, I will still enjoy the songs :)

first, read my post, i'm obviously not new to U2.
I know you're not, but you're acting like you are. Larry hasn't changed a bit, if anything he actually smiles more now and acts like he enjoys it then he did 10-20 years ago.

just because a person is performing in a high intensity, active role such as what edge does during a show does not necessarily mean that his heart is always into it even though he performs it wonderfully.
Then how do you judge when his heart is not in it?

Some of you are sounding incredibly ridiculous acting like you can read their minds or hearts...

I agree. However, my speculation is that half of the desire to do it is from the joy of doing it, the other half is motivated by "what else is there to do"?

They've been performing in front of people for 30+ years; you can't just turn that off.

Bono could pursue a solo career, Edge could find some interesting technological project to work on, Larry could pursue his interest in acting, and Adam, well he could travel around the world picking up girls and collecting art.

They do what they do, because that's what they want to do.

maybe a good compromise would be if during a tour U2 mixed in some small club dates with tickets that were so difficult to get you know the majority of people present would be hard-core fans. at those shows, U2 could do whatever they wished- play acoustic, experiment with some obscure tunes, mix up an abbreviated setlist, etc. the fans would love it. then they could commercially release the boots of those club shows like, say, pearl jam does. Then they go back to the stadium the next night and the normal set list. EVERYONE would be happy!!!

I know you're not, but you're acting like you are. Larry hasn't changed a bit, if anything he actually smiles more now and acts like he enjoys it then he did 10-20 years ago.

Then how do you judge when his heart is not in it?

Some of you are sounding incredibly ridiculous acting like you can read their minds or hearts...

I totally agree with you...of course I can't read their inner emotions. What I can do, however, is form a personal opinion as to how they're feeling based on my perception of their facial expressions and body language. And of course I will never know if my opinion is correct. It probably generally isn't LOL

Why so much speculation?

What do you mean "has become" this is U2, this is how they have been. Some of you must be new to U2. Why do you deserve more Bruce? Because you look at the setlist on the internet?

Are you joking? :huh: Man, some of you are extremely out of touch.

As far as deserving more wouldnt that pertain to myself and the fan who shells out hundreds of dollars to see this band. I'm not saying its true as I havent seen this tour yet but alot of people are saying that the band is just going thru the motions and seeing static set lists from a band who is supposed to be the biggest band in the world lends credence to that thought.

In my opinion I spent 200 dollars to see them in New Jersey (which is a ridiculous amount of money to charge but I'm fortunate to have a good job that pays pretty well) and the other fans who shell out good money to see them deserve more. I hope what people are saying about the band going thru the motions are wrong.

Again I would like to ask any of the musicians out there whats the big F#king deal about changing a set list? Especially when your professional musicians???

I'm not saying its true as I havent seen this tour yet but alot of people are saying that the band is just going thru the motions and seeing static set lists from a band who is supposed to be the biggest band in the world lends credence to that thought.

Have you noticed that the majority of people who have actually seen shows so far have thoroughly enjoyed them and that most of the people complaining haven't been to one yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom