Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as deserving more wouldnt that pertain to myself and the fan who shells out hundreds of dollars to see this band. I'm not saying its true as I havent seen this tour yet but alot of people are saying that the band is just going thru the motions and seeing static set lists from a band who is supposed to be the biggest band in the world lends credence to that thought.
A lot of people? I've seen one poster who has actually seen this show and not liked it.

In my opinion I spent 200 dollars to see them in New Jersey (which is a ridiculous amount of money to charge but I'm fortunate to have a good job that pays pretty well) and the other fans who shell out good money to see them deserve more. I hope what people are saying about the band going thru the motions are wrong.
Why are you equating set list with "going thru the motions"?

Again I would like to ask any of the musicians out there whats the big F#king deal about changing a set list? Especially when your professional musicians???

Every musician is different!!! What is so fucking hard to understand? :doh:

Seriously, some of you look silly.

Do Broadway actors get bored? It's the type of band they are, do they act bored to you?

actually, yes, after attending 25+ shows from 1992 through the present and viewing every commercially released show and countless bootleg videos dozens of times, i can say without hesitation that edge and especially larry appear painfully bored to me quite a bit. Now of course, I haven't the faintest idea how they feel. I am just stating what impression I get from their facial expressions and body language. And why do I speculate? Because I am a U2 fan interacting with other U2 fans and I am curious what others think about this topic. There is nothing deeper to it than that.

First of all .. I'm an Edge fan. But the 2 persons who seems to enjoy themselves are Bono and Adam. Adam is the only one with a big smile on his face. It really hurts to say this, Edge is just standing there with his feet tapping. Larry cant even smile. Even when he was running with this bongo thing. But I can understand what you're saying here. This is a forum so interacting is good. I was at Paris last saturday and I didn't know the setlist. After moment of surrender i said to my friend : is this all??? They are damned musicians who like to play music (at least I hope) so why not play as many somngs you can : like Bruce Springsteen. Popmart was static, Elevation a bit rotating, Vertigo 3 songs rotation and now only in a little while and desire are rotating? i just don't get it. The worst thing is : casual fans really don't understand it. How can I explain how I feel. It's so hard to day it is a great concert, but it is not what I expected. For me UF and UV were great, but too less for this concert. i'm wondering how they decide what songs to play. All those JT hits they are playing them night after night after night since 1987 .. they must get bored with this ...

I hope in the next 2.5 week something will change or else I guess I will only remember the return of the unforgettable fire and ultra violet and the new songs. Speaking of new songs : crazy remix sucks hard and why no fez ...
fez is soooo U2 and they won't play it ...

First of all .. I'm an Edge fan. But the 2 persons who seems to enjoy themselves are Bono and Adam. Adam is the only one with a big smile on his face. It really hurts to say this, Edge is just standing there with his feet tapping. Larry cant even smile. Even when he was running with this bongo thing. But I can understand what you're saying here. This is a forum so interacting is good. I was at Paris last saturday and I didn't know the setlist. After moment of surrender i said to my friend : is this all??? They are damned musicians who like to play music (at least I hope) so why not play as many somngs you can : like Bruce Springsteen. Popmart was static, Elevation a bit rotating, Vertigo 3 songs rotation and now only in a little while and desire are rotating? i just don't get it. The worst thing is : casual fans really don't understand it. How can I explain how I feel. It's so hard to day it is a great concert, but it is not what I expected. For me UF and UV were great, but too less for this concert. i'm wondering how they decide what songs to play. All those JT hits they are playing them night after night after night since 1987 .. they must get bored with this ...

I hope in the next 2.5 week something will change or else I guess I will only remember the return of the unforgettable fire and ultra violet and the new songs. Speaking of new songs : crazy remix sucks hard and why no fez ...
fez is soooo U2 and they won't play it ...

Edge just standing there? Not the clips I've seen...

Are you a musician, have you ever tried singing for two hours straight?

What has this to do with "are you a musician"? No I'm not a musician. i don't get paid to sings once every 4 years. Then again i didn't say that the voice is bad, on contrary, Bono's voice is very good. That is why I don't understand that after a superb ultra violet with the full range notes he started to "sing" WOWY in the way he does it now. I just don't get it.

As far as this tour : I think it is very static / it doesn't look spontanious with Edge.
I was in the inner circle at the catwalk and none of the members turned around to watch into the pitch (lets call them ... the hardcore fans .. you must be a maniac to be at the stadium at 0600 AM). To be honest I find that boring .... and I was disappointed in that. Edge rushed over the catwalk, Larry rushed on the catwalk with the Bongo.
And yes they are playing at the main stage in front of the pitch, but i miss the contact with the audience. I don't know how to explain.
No i'm not a newby

Still the setlist is too safe. As safe as it is since elevation with the return of SBS.

What has this to do with "are you a musician"? No I'm not a musician. i don't get paid to sings once every 4 years. Then again i didn't say that the voice is bad, on contrary, Bono's voice is very good. That is why I don't understand that after a superb ultra violet with the full range notes he started to "sing" WOWY in the way he does it now. I just don't get it.
I ask because I am a fairly young in shape musician and I can tell you singing for 2+ hours is exhausting, and tough on the voice. So this, "why can't they play longer" is bullshit. Springsteen is abnomaly.

I ask because I am a fairly young in shape musician and I can tell you singing for 2+ hours is exhausting, and tough on the voice. So this, "why can't they play longer" is bullshit. Springsteen is abnomaly.

actually, pearl jam plays 2.5 - 3 hour shows with 28-32 songs and eddie is 44 and SCREAMS alot.

but i think show length is a red herring here. this discussion is more about variety as opposed to length of shows. 2 hours is enough for me to be honest.

It's not about playing specific songs, it's about rotation. Playing Wire or Mofo every night would be ridiculous, but rotating them with, say, Angel of Harlem would be welcome indeed.

oh I see- well yes that would be fine- but I don't believe that U2 have ever really done that, so I wouldn't expect them to start now

at the end of the day they can't please everyone and they're going with a show that they feel will hit the right marks with as much of the audience as they can

for my part I'm thrilled that they're playing , IALW, MLK, TUF, AOH, Desire, Walk On, Electrical Storm because I've either not heard them before or it was along time ago when I last did- and yes I'd rather hear Love is Blindness than SBS but the reaction SBS got at Nou Camp kinda sums up the reason why some songs get played every tour

actually, pearl jam plays 2.5 - 3 hour shows with 28-32 songs and eddie is 44 and SCREAMS alot.

I haven't seen them do 2.5 in the last two tours, they're getting a little older... I've seen PJ at least once every tour since they came out... And sometimes they have a decent tought out set list and sometimes they have one that just flat out sucks, so there's something to say against varied set lists too. Plus they are inconsistent, one night they'll give the audience 28 songs, the next night 23 songs.

A lot of people? I've seen one poster who has actually seen this show and not liked it.

I guess thats me!?:lol:

I actually didnt say i didnt like the show, just thought it should have been better?

Re. The static set-list argument discussion, heres a thought....

The 'keyboard warriors' sat at home watching youtube clips, setlist parties etc and have a ticket to see say just Wembley 2 concert. They know pretty much the set back to front before they go.

They see the show and think well yeah it was really good and see tickets are available for Sheffield and Cardiff still.

They may think theres no point going again as it will be basically the same set

Wouldnt it better for them to think that is was a great show and i will do my utmost to grab a ticket and shit knows what gems i may hear?

I know with U2 that is unrealistic.

All i ask is for an element of surprise occasionally in what song comes next

I know 'we' are a minority in the 90k crowds. But sometimes 'we' CAN make the most noise

Even people NOT at shows can create a bit of a buzz around the tour imo. People not going/been to shows are allowed opinions. They are fans after all

Breathe is not a good opener:lol:

We should get a time machine and go back to 92 and bitch about those setlists and talk about how they were just going through the motions. :hyper:

thats funny...my first show was March, 1992 at the indoor zoo tv show at nassau coliseum on long island. i remember the pixies opened and played their set with the house lights on and construction crews still rigging the trabant cars and the ZOO TV sign. No one paid any attention. I was so young and naive and blown away by the show that the concept of "set lists" did not even cross my mind. If I only knew then...haha

Ah but did you actually go to a show:lol:

U2 was at its best during Zoo Tv and thats hard for me to say because the Joshua Tree Tour was awesome. Seeing them for Elevation and Vertigo was awesome but there was just something missing.

I'm excited about seeing them for this show but this stage seems to massive I wonder if I'll get too see the band at all or rather just be watching video screens.

It was my first concert. I would kick them in the balls if they didn't play BD, ISHFWILF, Pride, WTSHNN, WOWY, SBS, and One. Maybe a lot of people who goes to the concerts never saw them live. Or maybe it will be their only concert. For example, my girlfriend asked me why didn't they play New Years and I will follow. :shrug:

You just want to have good bootlegs (yes It can be boring downloading bootlegs almost identical), but U2 cannot make the setlist thinking of bootleg downloaders.

After the show I was thinking why should they change the setlist and I reached the conclusion the setlist is perfect the way it is.

Now, about playing JUST 2h10m: That's more than enough. Unlike Bono sings in Numb, too much IS a lot than enough.

And last:
JESUS; you have to bitch about something don't you?! :lol:

thats funny...my first show was March, 1992 at the indoor zoo tv show at nassau coliseum on long island. i remember the pixies opened and played their set with the house lights on and construction crews still rigging the trabant cars and the ZOO TV sign. No one paid any attention. I was so young and naive and blown away by the show that the concept of "set lists" did not even cross my mind. If I only knew then...haha

I remember Wembley Stadium 1987, thinking it was the most 'off the cuff' thing to come on stage to a backing track. Little did i know...

I remember Cork 1987. First encore some screaming feedback 'WTF is this?', turned out to be Star Spangled Banner intro

Now thats what i mean by element of surprise

In fact look at the setlist of that Wembley gig (13.06.87)

Stand By Me
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Exit / Riders On The Storm (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
In God's Country
C'mon Everybody
Help
Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet)
October
New Year's Day
I Will Follow
Gloria
encore(s):

Where The Streets Have No Name
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Battle Hymn Of The Republic (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
Party Girl

. It was i think unique for the tour, not for songs played, but for the order played in. As a fan i like that feeling of not quite knowing what to expect

From all the reading I think U2 needs to add 1 or 2 more rockers and switch the opener. If you look at the latest setlist U2 is playing newer/rare material than the old warhorses.

Breathe,
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
MLK
Walk On
Ultraviolet
Moment of Surrender

15 songs are considered rare/newer (00's material/NLOTH material. Pretty solid.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
With or Without You

While only 8 songs are considered classic/warhorse material.

U2 is doing a solid job but they need a Discotheque, UTEOTW, or HMKMKMKM to bring the rock back. I really wish U2 would just drop ISHFWILF, One, WOWY, & Pride. Songs like MOS, Walk On replace the theme/mood of a song like One or Pride. U2 can get away with it.

So they were at their best when their setlist were more static and they were more choreographed?

This place is so confusing...:huh:

No it is not. U2 was at its best musicaly, visualy and they were downright fanfuckingtastic. Not a surprise if you look at their age during zoo, all beginning 30, the peak of creativity, a mindblowing groundbreaking tour and an album that ruled the world to promote. Everything afterwards has been a downfall. The good thing is that their downfall is still miles ahead of most if not any band that it doesnt realy matter but they will never get to the level they had at zoo which would be a bit too much to ask from a band almost in their 50's. The setlist wasnt so important because everything they did back then was new, fresh and exciting. They made a gamble dumping the oldies and making a rock n rolshow that was so different from anything ever done by a band.

Who can forget the special with Adam clayton laying on a bed or Edge playing a wargame on his computer. They were just a different band, in a different area and I am glad to have been a part of that.

:up:

No it is not. U2 was at its best musicaly, visualy and they were downright fanfuckingtastic. Not a surprise if you look at their age during zoo, all beginning 30, the peak of creativity, a mindblowing groundbreaking tour and an album that ruled the world to promote. Everything afterwards has been a downfall. The good thing is that their downfall is still miles ahead of most if not any band that it doesnt realy matter but they will never get to the level they had at zoo which would be a bit too much to ask from a band almost in their 50's. The setlist wasnt so important because everything they did back then was new, fresh and exciting. They made a gamble dumping the oldies and making a rock n rolshow that was so different from anything ever done by a band.
ZooTV was special. If a band is lucky they have a peak similar to U2's during UF days. U2 has surpassed what most bands want several times over, including the current tours.

They only dumped the "oldies" for the arena aspect of the tour, then they returned to the type of setlist we're all bitching about right now.

I think it's completely ridiculous to bitch about non-varied set list and being too broadway and choreographed and then say ZooTV was their best. It's a complete contradiction.

Who can forget the special with Adam clayton laying on a bed or Edge playing a wargame on his computer. They were just a different band, in a different area and I am glad to have been a part of that.

:up:

great post. although i don't know if downfall is the best word...i think a better way to put it is that no matter what kind of an epic production they come up with these days, nothing can ever match the sheer groundbreaking brilliance and "newness" of the type of production that Zoo TV was compared to anything else that existed at the time.

I compare Zoo TV to Michael Jordan. There will never be another michael jordan just like there will never be another rock concert metamorphosis like Zoo TV. hell, there is kobe and lebron and dwayne wade, and they may all arguably do certain individual things better than MJ did, and maybe some young guy will yet come along and be a better player than anyone has ever been. But in terms of sheer cultural impact combined with style, talent and vibrancy, there will never be another michael because in addition to his talent, he changed the style of the game and ushered it into the modern age. In a similar way, zoo tv set the bar for the hypertechnology that we are now so used to.

ZooTV was special. If a band is lucky they have a peak similar to U2's during UF days. U2 has surpassed what most bands want several times over, including the current tours.

They only dumped the "oldies" for the arena aspect of the tour, then they returned to the type of setlist we're all bitching about right now.

I think it's completely ridiculous to bitch about non-varied set list and being too broadway and choreographed and then say ZooTV was their best. It's a complete contradiction.

don't forget: internet wasnt around in the way it is now. I was talking to a friend of mine about going to dublin. He has a ticket for Amsterdam.
He said : I heared they play UF, cool.

No way that in 1992/93 he would have known any song that would be played. myself, I had a bootleg on a tape from the first date with a bass that almost destroyed my speakerset(good times) and that was it.

I dot know, infomration is a great thing but it spoils the fun a bit and I cann ot contain myself and not look. U2 knows that people know nowadays and it is a very easy thing to do to change it up a bit more. That being said , in general I am pleased with the set they play although I think it is a shame that hey allready seem to have dropped ES and still have not played DM. We will see how that developes/

apologies to Pink Floyd fans. i seem to remember them having some pretty groundbreaking show designs in the early 90s. But i don't think they had the mainstream public awareness that U2 did.

apologies to Pink Floyd fans. i seem to remember them having some pretty groundbreaking show designs in the early 90s. But i don't think they had the mainstream public awareness that U2 did.

the PULSE show was fantastic and Mr Gilmours Comfortably Numb solo on that tour wil never EVER be surpassed by anything human but eventhough it was a great spectacle it didnt have the purpose(if that does make any sense) that ZooTV had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom