Not Impressed By Fans Who U2 Are Not Impressed With But Cater To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Fans are not digging The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet? But there's a big welcome for Vertigo, Boots, and Stuck?

:doh:

This thing is just too much too figure out. What is u2's audience made up of these days anyway? Catch on fans from the last few years? Where's the 20+years crowd at these shows?

To try and fathom that Vertigo, Boots, and Elevation are crowd pleasers but UF, or Ultraviolet is not is just flat out ridiculous.

:huh:

*Not impressed with those not impressed but U2 continues to impress.*

:angry:

OK, you can't be serious. I consider myself a big big U2 fan and I love those guys. But I won't let anyone on a fan forum or anywhere else tell me which songs I have to like or if I'm less a fan if I like certain songs and don't like others. That's just so arrogant and ridiculous. Thank God there are enough other fans out there who don't think that way. I've met a lot of new fans out there, people who haven't followed U2 for 25 years, and they were the nicest, sweetest and, yes, most enthusiastic people I've met. They have a passion of U2's music that I'm missing with many long term fans these days.

Your post is very insulting, to me personally, and I really hope it doesn't reflect the majority's view here, because this would be very disappointing.

And guess what, I think Ultraviolet is a meh song. Sorry, I just cannot get myself to like it. :madspit:

I don't think people do not dig Unforgettable Fire or Ultra Violet
it's just that Unforgettable Fire (though one of my favourite songs) suits listening to in your living room slightly more than as a kick arse concert experience
I don't think many people rate Ultra Violet in the top half of Achtung Baby (album or live)
so not many go wild for it either no

bit of a side note perhaps, but I see a lot of comments here that U2 should play more faster paced songs
at the same time people complain about them playing Vertigo, Boots, Elevation

if you really are that desperate to hear Even better ..., Gone and Last night on earth then just say so instead of making up rather lame arguements that suit your purpose
and -better yet - just play your POPMart dvd

I suggest you listen to the Amsterdam 20-7-2009 bootleg. The response to TUF and Ultraviolet before and afterwards gives me goosebumps.

Fans are not digging The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet? But there's a big welcome for Vertigo, Boots, and Stuck?

:doh:

This thing is just too much too figure out. What is u2's audience made up of these days anyway? Catch on fans from the last few years? Where's the 20+years crowd at these shows?

To try and fathom that Vertigo, Boots, and Elevation are crowd pleasers but UF, or Ultraviolet is not is just flat out ridiculous.

:huh:

*Not impressed with those not impressed but U2 continues to impress.*

:angry:

The crowd near me were generally quite good last night but the reaction to UV was muted. The average of any given population is not very intelligent or discerning, so prefers Vertigo, Boots, etc.

I suggest you listen to the Amsterdam 20-7-2009 bootleg. The response to TUF and Ultraviolet before and afterwards gives me goosebumps.
I was at that show
and it's not like people went for a bathroon break
but in no way was the crowd as involved as with most of the rest of the show
In a little while was another one which just didn't do much

I'm basing this on what people here and other forums have said regarding those songs: That UF and UV get a lukewarm response but Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation are the barn burners.

I don't get that. It's as if the audience is primarily those who have listened to U2 since 2000.

OK, you can't be serious. I consider myself a big big U2 fan and I love those guys. But I won't let anyone on a fan forum or anywhere else tell me which songs I have to like or if I'm less a fan if I like certain songs and don't like others. That's just so arrogant and ridiculous. Thank God there are enough other fans out there who don't think that way. I've met a lot of new fans out there, people who haven't followed U2 for 25 years, and they were the nicest, sweetest and, yes, most enthusiastic people I've met. They have a passion of U2's music that I'm missing with many long term fans these days.

Your post is very insulting, to me personally, and I really hope it doesn't reflect the majority's view here, because this would be very disappointing.

And guess what, I think Ultraviolet is a meh song. Sorry, I just cannot get myself to like it. :madspit:

Am I directing my post at YOU?

Jesus....

I'm basing this on what people here and other forums have said regarding those songs: That UF and UV get a lukewarm response but Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation are the barn burners.

I don't get that. It's as if the audience is primarily those who have listened to U2 since 2000.

and if they have only got into U2 since 2000 what your issue? Y do you have a problem with people going nuts when they here Vertigo & Boots? Do you honestly think that 90,000 people are gonna nuts over Ultra Voilet? yes i actually love the song but come on the crowd are gonna react to the songs they know

It's not a molehill, it's a mountaaaaain.

Guys, there's nothing wrong with an exuberant and/or younger crowd reaction to Boots or Vertigo. I don't really love or listen to those songs and would call UV way closer to the top of my favorites list, but I'd be foolish to deny that these songs will rock the majority of the crowd, and, in turn, me..because everyone, including the band, is feeding off everyone else's energy. When you're onstage, there are songs that you love to perform because you love that song. Then there are still others that you love to perform because of what happens when you perform them...some of them get 'wows' from the hardcores, while yet others bring the whole stadium together and let the show take off.

Having said all that, however...I think Boots, Elevation and Vertigo is a bit much for one show...just my preferences.

Well, I should say that if those crowd members who are not me are my friends, then I might care a little. :wink:

yeah i don't REALLLLLY give a shit about what other people around me think of a song. However it does sort of wreck the atmosphere when a classic [to some people] is played and you're there going WOOOO! YEAH!!! OH MY GOD I JUST CAME!!! etc etc and people around you just decide to chat the whole way through "What's this song? i don't know it i've only two best of's...i'll chat to my mate right in this guy's ear about something totally unrelated."

sorry i'm just bitter after seeing Blur play Oily Water at both gigs i went to and the atmosphere was just killed to that of an opening act that no-one wants to see..i'm sat right at the top of the stadium when U2 play cardiff. I'm already cut off from the whoops and cheers down below so I'll be fucked if they do play ultraviolet given what people are saying about crowds :wink:

I was at that show
and it's not like people went for a bathroon break
but in no way was the crowd as involved as with most of the rest of the show
In a little while was another one which just didn't do much

I absolutely disagree about TUF with you on this. You know you can be in the moment just by listening to a song other then singing along. Have you heard the bootleg? I'm so happy those songs are on the setlist or do we really want a singalong and clap-clap contest with every song during the show?

Again listen to the bootleg and hear what's happening when TUF starts and ends... I don't think the crowd was not involved. Especially the fans who are familiar with other songs than SBS or Pride. Did you read u2tours reviews of 21-7: almost everyone is complaining about how TUF was omitted.

BTW I was at the show and everybody around me (section 119) was LOUD when TUF started and afterwards: YouTube - U2 Amsterdam 20th of July - my favorite song this tour: The Unforgettable Fire

How do you know who U2 is impressed with and NOT impressed with anyway?
I find it disappointing too that some people at concerts don't like the songs I am in LOVE with, but that doesn't ruin my experience.

You would be hard pressed to find a U2 fan that likes EVERY single song they ever made. U2 have so many different styles, that's how many different people you find at the concert.

Let them enjoy the songs they want to enjoy, and you do the same.
Just remember, no matter what the band does someone will hate/love it so why over analyze it?

You can't please everyone all of the time so just enjoy the moments that lift YOU up and ignore the haters.
Otherwise, what's the point? You may as well watch it on the internet or in your living room if you are going to let other people dictate your experience.

Thanks cori! :)

I have another example. I have a friend of mine that LOVES techno club music. I have been trying for years to get him to broaden his musical scope and get him interested in U2! It's like:blahblah: is all he hears when I talk about the band! Charlie Brown's teacher.
One day he sends me an email and says there's this song he has been in to for weeks now and they play it to death on the radio . Then he tells me the name of it...it the remix to Magnificant!
Now he loves them. I think that is hilarious and exactly what this discussion is about. JT fan he is NOT.
Can you imagine JT remixed techno style? Blasphemy I say. :lol:

What is u2's audience made up of these days anyway? Catch on fans from the last few years? Where's the 20+years crowd at these shows?
:

well, some of us haven't been alive long enough to have listened to U2 for over 20 years. not our fault, doesn't make us inferior :shrug: like it or not U2 continue to gain a ton of new fans with each release.

anyway, as long as U2 keep playing UF/UV, who cares if a lot of the crowd doesn't get into it? as others have said, enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry about others.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, if what you're saying is true. What delights have we got to look forward to I wonder? A HTDAAB encore- God forbid!

The point of this thread was to draw attention to the fact that crowds are reacting more positively toward U2's more recent output, the tunes from 2000on, tunes that are (imo) weaker than others. I'm speaking of Boots, Vertigo, and Elevation specifically.

Whereas there was a time U2 wrote tunes like The Unforgettable Fire and fans actually cared.

Tell me that tune compares with the afforementioned tunes.

Ok, some people are gonna like those tunes more. Great. The fact is: U2's audience now is geared more towards their post 2000 output and the greatest hits. And they know this and cater to it.

anyway, as long as U2 keep playing UF/UV, who cares if a lot of the crowd doesn't get into it? as others have said, enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry about others.

Even though you did qualify this statement with "as long as they keep playing..." I do think it could potentially be a problem, because they are known to adjust their setlists according to what seems to please the majority of the crowd. So, if the crowd isn't responding as well to some songs (not saying this is or isn't the case with TUF and UV), it probably is a legitimate concern.

That said, I really, really hope that ES comes back. Sigh.

The fact is: U2's audience now is geared more towards their post 2000 output and the greatest hits. And they know this and cater to it.

And what are they suppose to do?

In the 90's the 80's fans want them to cater to them, but guess what? What's the difference?

Doesn't this really come down to a post 2000 U2 sux thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom