North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
It is coming to that time in the tour where we transition legs!! The Europe shows have been great, featuring the band in top form and Bono sounding great for the most part. We all have our own opinions on the setlists, obviously!

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on a few things as the North American dates approach:

1.)Will the set list vary more or less by leg than it did on previous tours? Do you think we will see a transition more resembling 3rd leg Elevation and 5th leg Vertigo or will we see a transition more in line with JT or Popmart tours?

2.)Will we see some variation in the encores? Maybe WOWY rotated with something else? How about adding a song after the regular closer like we saw on Popmart? I like Ultraviolet of course, but could the fly or wire open up some encores?

3.)How many songs will see their 1st appearance on the tour on Leg 2? Any ideas on what songs?

4.)The opener: This has been the most discussed aspect of the set it seems. Do they have a new opener(Magnificent, Boots, NLOTH??) that is a regular, do they open most with Breathe with something else mixed in(like 1st leg Vertigo) or does Breathe continue to be the only opener?

Of course all speculation, but that is what we specialize in :) Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

I hope we see SOMETHING from Pop...I don't think we'll see too much variation...I hope to see ES stay in the setlist and songs like UTEOTW more often. Can't go wrong with them.

Instead of Mysterious Ways or Elevation I have a feeling they'll pull out Even Better Than the Real Thing. If God Will Send his Angels will also make its debut:drool:

I think the set will remain pretty similar. I don't expect it will be ENTIRELY the same, though. I'm concerned Crazy Tonight will be dropped - perhaps not straight away, but I won't be surprised if it's gone before the leg's halfway complete. Wouldn't be shocked to see EBTTRT come in.

I'm tipping White As Snow to show up late in the picture for some of the gigs in October.

I would like to believe the opener will be changed, but I am not optimistic. It'll be interesting to see how many days of rehearsals the band do in Chicago before the leg begins; that could be telling.

The last place they'll dig out POP songs is at a Stadium gig in the US. If they were going to play stuff from POP they would have probably done so in Europe, you know where the album was actually well received.

Stand Up Comedy WILL show in the US legs, I'll eat my hat if it doesn't. EBTTRT will probably make an appearance every now and then, maybe like Discotheque did on Elevation and Vertigo.

Drowning Man will probably be played once or just never. Your Blue Room, will not show at all I think.

I don't think Crazy Tonight will be dropped. If they drop the remix, they will play the album version instead.

Pretty much what Axver said actually! :lol:

It'll be more static than it was in Europe. They haven't played a stadium gig in North America in twelve years. They're going to take it slowly. Maybe there will be more variety in the NA stadium leg next year, but they also might be back to having 19,000 people in some stadiums on that leg. I'm not sure if U2 are a bigger draw now in North America than they were in 1997.

The setlists in the US will be similar to what they have been playing in Europe. Maybe a new song or two will be worked in over the course of the leg. I think we will see big setlists changes when the tour resumes in 2010.

I agree that Stand Up Comedy is pretty much guaranteed to be played with pretty good regularity. And in general, I expect more rockers than we've seen in Europe (The Fly, Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW). I have a hunch that Unknown Caller may be dropped, but I'm not really basing that on anything. And I really hope Breathe stays the opener. I think it's fantastic. :drool:

I really hope that you all are wrong about SUC. I'd love nothing more than for it to be totally ignored on this tour, even though it's better than just about all of Bomb.

It'll be more static than it was in Europe. They haven't played a stadium gig in North America in twelve years. They're going to take it slowly. Maybe there will be more variety in the NA stadium leg next year, but they also might be back to having 19,000 people in some stadiums on that leg. I'm not sure if U2 are a bigger draw now in North America than they were in 1997.

Also working against setlist variety in the US is that after the first four cities, which get two shows, everywhere gets just one show. The single show cities in Europe haven't done badly so far, but they've been mixed in with plenty of multiple shows. Not the case in the US and I imagine U2 may settle into an even more static pattern.

On the topic of Stand Up Comedy, let me make a prediction: by the time U2 reach Atlanta, Crazy Tonight will be replaced by Comedy.

I don't think Unknown caller will be dropped, it's been fantastic Live.

With or Without you sounds tired, needs a change, but i doubt it will go.

I smell the arrival of "All i want is you" for the N.A. leg

Actually, AIWIY was never a hit in the US. I doubt they would pull it out specifically for North America. I wouldn't expect setlists to differ much from what they have been. Maybe 2 songs will change on a nightly basis, but that's the extent of it. Luckily I'm only seeing one show, so I'll be happy with whatever. Also, Electrical Storm has been played for the LAST TIME on this tour.

I just want some POP around, and God, I hate Stand Up Comedy.

North America isn't exactly the place in the world where Pop is most dearly loved, but the only two performances of the only Pop song on the Vertigo Tour were in North America, so there may be some hope. Please and Gone would be :drool: on this tour.

Gone would be fantastic. I swear to God I will start shooting little bunnies if they drop Crazy Remix...

Big, fat, pink bunnies with ribbons around their necks.

Gone would be fantastic. I swear to God I will start shooting little bunnies if they drop Crazy Remix...

Big, fat, pink bunnies with ribbons around their necks.

What if they replace Krazy with Gone?

I'm happy I'll be at the first show, so whatever they do, it will be a surprise and I won't just have to read about it online ahead of time.

Also hoping for no SUC, keeping the Crazy remix and keeping Unknown Caller.

Back
Top Bottom