North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think they will really play anything new in Chicago (new=something not previously rehearsed in Europe). Maybe a couple of songs will make it to the setlist like Your blue room or Drowning man, but other than that I don't think so, there's no much time to rehearse before the first shows....unfortunately :sad:

Also, I believe that U2 always tries to give people the best show on earth ("show" meaning music/stage/lightning/etc) and that's why they can't just go ahead and play a song out of the blue because it has go along with stage/lights/musical instruments/mixing/etc synchronicity. It's not impossible to make some space for improvisation though, for instance , they could leave a "free space" for a song during the show where the screen will not display any specific images, the lights are kept simple
, etc, but not sure how hard that could be in such a gigantic production. :hmm:

Anyway, this is just an opinion :)

I don't think they will really play anything new in Chicago (new=something not previously rehearsed in Europe). Maybe a couple of songs will make it to the setlist like Your blue room or Drowning man, but other than that I don't think so, there's no much time to rehearse before the first shows....unfortunately :sad:

Also, I believe that U2 always tries to give people the best show on earth ("show" meaning music/stage/lightning/etc) and that's why they can't just go ahead and play a song out of the blue because it has go along with stage/lights/musical instruments/mixing/etc synchronicity. It's not impossible to make some space for improvisation though, for instance , they could leave a "free space" for a song during the show where the screen will not display any specific images, the lights are kept simple
, etc, but not sure how hard that could be in such a gigantic production. :hmm:

Anyway, this is just an opinion :)

Not an argument I buy.

The sound engineers have to simply hit a button and the lighting for any song they programmed in will start. This may have been more of a concern years ago, but certainly is a minor one at best now. Program in 50-60 songs per leg of the tour, and you can pull any of them out on any given night.

They also have generic arrangements for rare performances of happy birthday, out of control and party girl on special occasions.

from U2.com:

Below, in alphabetical order, you'll see the songs the band have been playing on the tour to date. They've regularly been playing SEVEN tracks from No Line on the Horizon - along with tracks from EIGHT different earlier albums.

This time out are they going to surprise us with another track from No Line? Or with a staple from earlier live shows which has yet to featured? Or with something completely out of the blue? You tell us.

We're looking for you to predict one track you have a hunch they will add into the set.... and one track you'd die happy if they decide to play ? One hunch and one from the heart. Here's the list to date:
Angel Of Harlem
Bad
Breathe
Beautiful Day
City Of Blinding Lights
Desire
Electrical Storm
Elevation
Get On Your Boots
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
In A Little While
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Magnificent
MLK
Moment Of Surrender
Mysterious Ways
No Line On The Horizon
New Year's Day
One
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Party Girl
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out of
Stay (Far Away so Close)
The Unforgettable Fire
Unknown Caller
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Until The End of the World
Vertigo
Walk On
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You

Good idea!!

A Hunch: In God's Country (full band) This will come into rotation in the same spot that AOH/Desire/Elevation/Until the end../Stuck have hung out. Stuck will be dropped from this as it has had plenty of exposure in America.

A Solid Prediction: Even Better Than the Real Thing

Would die happy with: So much, but top 3 are Love is Blindness, LWTSH and Two Hearts Beat as One.

Yes, the song I'd guess has the best chance of reemerging on this leg is Real Thing. I would die immediately if they played Lemon or Please, but, seeing as there's no chance of either, I'm very happy with Ultraviolet in its current position of almost certainly staying through the end of the year. :heart:

I would really like to hear Bad, UTEOTW, and Stay at my show, too, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I was just remembering the last time I saw them in Chicago in 2005, they were criticized by a local music critic for playing too many of their hits, which led to Bono doing an interview with him a few days later. I wonder if we'll hear fewer of the "warhorses" in Chicago this weekend because of that. I doubt it, but we'll see.

I think they are really going to change things up for Giants Stadium 1. My bet is that they will add 2 to 3 more songs out of the inconvenience.

I was just remembering the last time I saw them in Chicago in 2005, they were criticized by a local music critic for playing too many of their hits, which led to Bono doing an interview with him a few days later. I wonder if we'll hear fewer of the "warhorses" in Chicago this weekend because of that. I doubt it, but we'll see.

I too remember the Greg Kot article in 2005 and Bono inviting him to Chicago 4 where they varied the setlist quite a bit.

Has anyone seen or read the European Tour program?

In it the band mention songs they think will transfer well from No Line to the live shows.
Cut a long story short, they mention that in the slower songs MOS (which was solid in euro, and will probably remain so) and White As Snow were major contenders.

Will this be a part of the US leg maybe? Possibly not every night but a here and there kind of thing like Stay or Bad in the last leg.

WAS and SUC are probably the two songs from NLOTH most likely to appear in the setlist at some point. I can imagine both being really good live songs.

I'm betting that rehearsals will start in Soldier Field tomorrow.

U2.com is asking fans again to name songs they want to hear on the US leg of the tour :hmm:

Rememer some saying that U2 have added Ultraviolet and Unforgettable Fire and possible also Electrical Storm after reading the fan requests in Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce some new acoustic songs along the way... such as In God's Country (Glendale?), SATS, and (hopefully) Please.

Back
Top Bottom