North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZooTV setlists were much more static than 360 setlists have been. I think it all boils down to teh internetz.

ZooTV setlists were much more static than 360 setlists have been. I think it all boils down to teh internetz.

yeah nuf said. internetz is prolly key, but i say static sets is a deterent still (ok I'll concede, smaller). I'm sure there's many more illegally sold Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen bootlegs than U2 bootlegs for a given period before the internetz.

Breathe
NLOTH
GOYB
Magnificent
BDay
UTEOTW/Elevation
In a Little While/Drowning Man/Still Haven't Found
Mysterious Ways/Electrical Storm/Stuck/Stay
Your Blue Room
Unknown Caller
Unforgettable Fire
COBL
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight (Remix)
SBS/Stand Up Comedy (Maybe)
Pride
MLK
Walk On
Streets
One
Bad/Mysterious Ways/With or Without You

Ultraviolet
Even Better Than the Real Thing (Remix)
Moment of Surrender-40

Please let me explain:

Back in the hey day of illegal and purchased bootlegs, bootleggers would create their own tape or CD packaging and sell directly to the end user, bypassing the original owners of copyright. A fan might look to illegal purchases of a specific setlist CD for specific songs, and another for an entirely different song selection. So on so forth. Back in ZooTV era, most of these bootlegs came out of Italy, probably from highly organized backers and funding. With static setlists (and the internet era of sharing), I feel it does deter this sort of illegal activity.

I am not talking about YouTube bootlegs or other common fan-freely distributed copy in some sort of format that costs zero to a consumer. No funds are diverted from the original copyright holder, but the fan base remains appeased and grows, while their appetite for consuming a band's wares, whether that be payment for live music, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, poster, Tshirt, etc strengthens greatly.

The type of bootlegs you describe are still available today. Many of the 360 shows are already being pressed by Godfather Records and being sold in record shops around Europe. A few have already been uploaded.

I will reiterate, I don't think this issue crosses U2's mind for even a split second when they're coming up with their setlists.

If they really wanted to capture a crowd's attention.....

End with of Moment of Surrender. Say thanks, goodbye, have a good night....blah, blah, blah.

(Pause for a moment)

Bono sings "So you wanna be in a rock n' roll band?"

Larry busts out the beat....then Adam and the Edge enter with full distortion.

The rest is history.

Do you mean if they carried on with Desire, Lovetown-style? That would be awesome!

I've been reading the Pimm Jal De La Parra book 'U2 Live' recently. In the past, if fan reaction at the end of a show was long and loud, the band would come back and occasionally surprise the fans with an extra song - or maybe play '40' a bit longer. On one occasion, Bono tried to get the band to play 'Rain' as an unplanned bonus, but Larry said to him that it wasn't raining.

Do you mean if they carried on with Desire, Lovetown-style? That would be awesome!

I've been reading the Pimm Jal De La Parra book 'U2 Live' recently. In the past, if fan reaction at the end of a show was long and loud, the band would come back and occasionally surprise the fans with an extra song - or maybe play '40' a bit longer. On one occasion, Bono tried to get the band to play 'Rain' as an unplanned bonus, but Larry said to him that it wasn't raining.

Yes! :up: Chicago needs some of that blues.

The type of bootlegs you describe are still available today. Many of the 360 shows are already being pressed by Godfather Records and being sold in record shops around Europe. A few have already been uploaded.

Really? I had no idea anyone actually made these type of discs anymore. I remember paying quite a lot for U2 bootlegs in the early 90's. What do they sell for now?

I quit looking for them a long time ago, when everything was so easily accessible on the internet.

Really? I had no idea anyone actually made these type of discs anymore. I remember paying quite a lot for U2 bootlegs in the early 90's. What do they sell for now?

I quit looking for them a long time ago, when everything was so easily accessible on the internet.

The ones from this tour apparently are being sold for about 30 Euro. Ridiculous if you ask me.

yeah, i think i paid $50 back in the 90's for a couple bootlegs. kind of feel like an idiot now, lol.

yeah, i think i paid $50 back in the 90's for a couple bootlegs. kind of feel like an idiot now, lol.

yeah, me too. that's why i was asking how much they cost now.

i remember getting the point depot new years eve concert on a vinyl for christmas in high school. i got my mom to order it from Italy. I think it was about $50.

Man I paid $45 for the ZOO EUROPA bootleg and I haven't regretted it once since---definitely don't feel like an idiot!

I think the best indicator of what will change is what has changed in the past. I'd expect a couple new songs, but otherwise no major shakeups. They're pretty predictable.

I think it'll get changed up more in the States. First nights being fairly straight forward though

SMB

... and almost all the shows in North America are first nights, so expect a lot of it to be fairly straight forward rather than changed up. There are only four second nights on the entire leg.

Dallas and Houston will be a little different, DC and Charlottesville will be a little different, Vegas and Pasadena will be a little different

SMB

I was born in the middle of the ZooTV Tour, so I never got the chance to be stupid enough to buy bootlegs. :D

i guess loads want to hear 'Stand up comedy' well
then theres no excuse for the guys not to play it
during the 2nd leg of the 360tour:D
'Your blue room' would be nice to hear to.
then throw in 'two hearts beat as one':applaud:

i cant stop to dance ........

i the U.S. leg will be identical to the Europe leg in that there won't be much variation night to night.

what i am interested in seeing though is if there are any major structural changes from Europe's set to U.S. we already have heard that "Your Blue Room" has a good chance of being premiered in the U.S. but will there be any other changes?

I think Electrical Storm and Drowning Man have... well, drowned. ES might see a few performances in 2010, but I don't really think Drowning Man has any chance at all.

I can see Stand up comedy comming in midway through, and fez having a one of play. Bad/ES will have there one of plays, cant see them becoming a regular.

I don't think there will be many changes. We might hear SUC or FEZ and of course YBR. I also fear that ES is dropped for good. :sad: I loved it live but it looks like that they didn't think it worked well. I'm also hoping that they give DM a try but it's unlikely.

I don't think Drowing Man will get played. I heard it soundchecked in Dublin and if that is as close as I'm going to get to hearing it, I can live with that. Same thing with ES

Back
Top Bottom