North American Tour Changes in Set list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True that they have played songs more recently that have not been played for numerous tours. This is a good thing.

But it is equally possible that "New York" might be considered like what The Edge said of "Last Night on Earth" on page 266 of "U2 by U2".

"Last Night On Earth had more of a band aesthetic. It was a good tune but is it up there with News Years Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday? Obviously not or we'd still be playing it live".

Although, I'd like to see them play Last Night On Earth again. But I will let that be a big surprise if it happens. Otherwise, not getting my hopes up.

And New York (Live) was always cool but there are probably songs that might fit better into the aesthetic of the U2:360 show.

The 360 and Vertigo Tours are indications where that theory is invalid.

360 Tour:
Electrical Storm - Live premiere
Stay - Not played on Vertigo Tour
The Unforgettable Fire - Did not appear in the last four tours
Ultraviolet - Did not appear in the last three tours

Vertigo Tour:
Miss Sarajevo - Aside from the one performance on PopMart, this was virtually a live premiere
Electric Co - Not played since Joshua Tree Tour
Zoo Station - Not played since ZooTV Tour
Running To Stand Still - Not played since ZooTV Tour
The First Time - Never played live till Vertigo
And that is just to name a few.

So just because New York didn't appear on the Vertigo Tour, does not mean it will not appear on the 360 Tour.

does anyone have an opinion as to where in the setlist the song would go? Would they put it in "unknown callers" spot?

If they really did something different with Bullet and made it more fresh and exciting, then that would be cool.

But me, I don't care one whit or not if Edge is lacking guitar solos. The only guitar solo I really care about is the end of Mysterious Ways, and they've lopped that off of this tour's version, so ... eh. I can take or leave guitar solos.

The set is going to change by 3 songs at tops, and that is a stretch. The first Chicago show will be the standard setlist, with nothing new except maybe YBR. Anyone thinking there will be lots of new songs, or big changes is going to be very disappointed.

I am really hoping they don't get cold feet with YBR, but you never know. It seemed like Drowning Man would be a definite addition before Barcelona. I hope the NASA deal with YBR doesn't ruin its premiere, sounds pretty cheesy.

I am just hoping I get to see a set with Bad ending the main set, and Stay instead of Stuck. If I get that once I will be happy. If they were to drop the Crazy remix that would be the best I could hope for. I am really hating the idea of seeing a U2 show where they play a song that I absolutely hate.

even though Your Blue Room could be very good live I'd be worried what song they'd axe instead
cause I don't think they'll just add to the setlist

even though Your Blue Room could be very good live I'd be worried what song they'd axe instead
cause I don't think they'll just add to the setlist

I won't be shocked to see it take the spot before Unknown Caller.

Maybe they'll cut MLK. Now that I've heard it 4 times this tour, I'm over it. :wink:

MLK barely even counts as a song anyway. Glorified intro.

Oh no, I want to hear/see/be a part of UC :love:. I hope they do not drop it. In one of Bono's interviews he said something about the audience being the 5th member of the band and referred to UC. I think its going to stay this leg.

Yeah, I think the remix has a limited shelf life. Yes, it's interesting, but the real song deserves it's shot too!

It really works in the stadium as a great bridge between different parts of the concert. It is a bit like a sorbet in the middle of a heavy but enjoyable meal.

Electrical Storm>Your Blue Room>Unknown Caller would be epic. :combust:

yes the queues for beer would be "epic"- because that's where the casual fan would be going if they did those 3 songs in a row- YBR will not work in a stadium- Electrical Storm clearly didn't either otherwise they would have played it more

Oh no, I want to hear/see/be a part of UC :love:. I hope they do not drop it. In one of Bono's interviews he said something about the audience being the 5th member of the band and referred to UC. I think its going to stay this leg.

You and I both are totally onboard for UC and SUC. I hope we get both on the NA Leg.

UC :drool::drool::drool:

SUC :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Mark

whatever slight variation if any, i still expect the mind numbingly dull 6 song snoozefest at the end of the first set

whatever slight variation if any, i still expect the mind numbingly dull 6 song snoozefest at the end of the first set

So I guess you haven't been to any shows yet, otherwise you wouldn't make such a statement.

If anything is mind numbingly dull here, it's your comment.

Btw, don't know if anyone here is keeping up with Willie's diary, but in once recent entry he suggests that White as snow and October might be part of the set, with a possible segue into New Year's Day.

So I guess you haven't been to any shows yet, otherwise you wouldn't make such a statement.

If anything is mind numbingly dull here, it's your comment.
QFT.

Btw, don't know if anyone here is keeping up with Willie's diary, but in once recent entry he suggests that White as snow and October might be part of the set, with a possible segue into New Year's Day.
In that one in which he talked about soundchecking DM again? I don't recall reading about October, but it would be great, October is simply beautiful. So is WaS. :)

If there is one change that is begging for a change, its getting rid of WOWY... It just sounds tired... Throw in something else. Even something like Love Is Blindness, Mysterious Ways, SYCMIOYO or something...

Also, I don't mind MOS, but throw in another song after that one. The concert just ends on a blah moment with that song...

I really hope they keep the Crazy Remix, they have taken a relatively bland U2-by-numbers song and turned it into one of the highlights of the set imo...

absolutely.

as far as changes go, i'm pretty much expecting the same exact set as Scheffield in Chicago 1. i won't be reading anything on Blue Crack for the whole week before the concert. that way, if they rehearse some really cool, obscure shit, i won't know about it. this benefits me in 2 ways:

1. if they rehearse something obscure and do play it in Chicago, then i'll be totally surprised and knocked off my feet.

2. if they rehearse something obscure and don't play it, i won't be shouting "why did Bono lie" the entire evening and my experience won't be ruined.

absolutely.

as far as changes go, i'm pretty much expecting the same exact set as Scheffield in Chicago 1. i won't be reading anything on Blue Crack for the whole week before the concert. that way, if they rehearse some really cool, obscure shit, i won't know about it. this benefits me in 2 ways:

1. if they rehearse something obscure and do play it in Chicago, then i'll be totally surprised and knocked off my feet.

2. if they rehearse something obscure and don't play it, i won't be shouting "why did Bono lie" the entire evening and my experience won't be ruined.

I'll be doing the same thing. I think we'll get 1-2 changes in Chicago and I want to be surprised.

Anyone know when U2 arrives in Chicago?

I'd rather be pessimistic than to hear all this much ado about nothing.

These are my thoughts:

Having very similar setlists night over night deters illegal bootlegs. Having the odd "radio broadcast to the fans" provides us fans the opportunity to have a bootleg in our possession without forking over a dime. We got that in our pocket now. So no need for the troubles introducing different songs in the setlist unless they are new songs to promote, or they have new visuals from Catherine Owens or Mark Pellington.

Another side thought, I doubt we will get a complete TV broadcast, seeing as they will want to market an official DVD or Blu-ray release.

Back on track, I'd be content hearing the typical 360 setlist. Anything beyond that will be exuberating, plain and simple.

Having very similar setlists night over night deters illegal bootlegs.

Well, U2 has done similar setlists for many tours now, and there are plenty of bootlegs available for fans. This tour alone, most of the shows have had multiple recordings available.

So I'd say that no, it doesn't deter anyone.

I'd rather be pessimistic than to hear all this much ado about nothing.

These are my thoughts:

Having very similar setlists night over night deters illegal bootlegs. Having the odd "radio broadcast to the fans" provides us fans the opportunity to have a bootleg in our possession without forking over a dime. We got that in our pocket now. So no need for the troubles introducing different songs in the setlist unless they are new songs to promote, or they have new visuals from Catherine Owens or Mark Pellington.

There are already audio recordings for every show on the 1st leg other than Gothenburg 2, including multiple DVD's and HD videos. I don't think their static setlists have absolutely anything to do with deterring bootlegs. I don't think that even crosses their mind when deciding on a setlist. I myself have filled up close to 400gig of hard drive just on the 1st leg alone without "forking over a dime".

Last edited:
i know its been played a lot on the last few tours but i miss the fly. also......the extended kite version played at the end of vertigo would have been awesome.

You and I both are totally onboard for UC and SUC. I hope we get both on the NA Leg.

UC :drool::drool::drool:

SUC :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Mark

:up:

If there is one change that is begging for a change, its getting rid of WOWY... It just sounds tired... Throw in something else. Even something like Love Is Blindness, Mysterious Ways, SYCMIOYO or something...

Also, I don't mind MOS, but throw in another song after that one. The concert just ends on a blah moment with that song...

I didn't like MOS as a closer at first but now I really like it. The song has morphed into a beautiful prayer that makes a great ending.

If they really wanted to capture a crowd's attention.....

End with of Moment of Surrender. Say thanks, goodbye, have a good night....blah, blah, blah.

(Pause for a moment)

Bono sings "So you wanna be in a rock n' roll band?"

Larry busts out the beat....then Adam and the Edge enter with full distortion.

The rest is history.

Well, U2 has done similar setlists for many tours now, and there are plenty of bootlegs available for fans. This tour alone, most of the shows have had multiple recordings available.

So I'd say that no, it doesn't deter anyone.

There are already audio recordings for every show on the 1st leg other than Gothenburg 2, including multiple DVD's and HD videos. I don't think their static setlists have absolutely anything to do with deterring bootlegs. I don't think that even crosses their mind when deciding on a setlist. I myself have filled up close to 400gig of hard drive just on the 1st leg alone without "forking over a dime".

Please let me explain:

Back in the hey day of illegal and purchased bootlegs, bootleggers would create their own tape or CD packaging and sell directly to the end user, bypassing the original owners of copyright. A fan might look to illegal purchases of a specific setlist CD for specific songs, and another for an entirely different song selection. So on so forth. Back in ZooTV era, most of these bootlegs came out of Italy, probably from highly organized backers and funding. With static setlists (and the internet era of sharing), I feel it does deter this sort of illegal activity.

I am not talking about YouTube bootlegs or other common fan-freely distributed copy in some sort of format that costs zero to a consumer. No funds are diverted from the original copyright holder, but the fan base remains appeased and grows, while their appetite for consuming a band's wares, whether that be payment for live music, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, poster, Tshirt, etc strengthens greatly.

Back
Top Bottom