Larry talks about Glasto setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
from @u2

Larry Mullen Jr. did a short interview Monday night on Zane Lowe's BBC radio programme, and the topic du jour was U2's upcoming performance at the legendary Glastonbury Festival. He said that the band feels that it has "something to prove" with Friday's performance, and that the festival setting means U2 is "out of our comfort zone."

But the brunt of the conversation involved what U2 plans to play for a crowd that won't necessarily be as warm to U2 as a 360 tour audience. Larry said the band is "taking a lot of time and energy" to work on the setlist, and they're still going through different possibilities:

"Everybody has a view on how it should go … there's the 'Where The Streets Have No Name' [as the opening song] camp, and then there's the more subtle approach -- the Achtung Baby dynamic approach where you sort of build slowly. And then there are those who think we should open with "40." (laughs) It goes on, and there are an awful lot of opinions."

sounds exciting for sure. i wish U2 played more with something to prove you know? :up:

Sounds like maybe Larry's in the Achtung Baby "dynamic" camp.

I have to say I like "Streets" full band or "40" starting with just Bono better. It could be completely different for those who don't follow U2 setlists, but I don't like the idea of their not doing something almost completely unique to start.

And exactly how do you follow the opening with Streets ?

Nicely said, Larry.

Surely this is about U2 proving to people the streets isnt the only U2 song that sounds amazing live?

Mofo would be perfect. I like that an EBTTRT opening would be dance-ish, not quite what people would expect, but Mofo would be a proper statement opening.

i like how you've gone from saying "stop expecting [very unlikely song]" to anyone who has the audacity to suggest something like Discotheque and so on to "Mofo would be perfect!" :wink:

i do like how he calls bono 'chief' in the interview and good ole Larry as Les Mundo.

gareth brown said:
i like how you've gone from saying "stop expecting [very unlikely song]" to anyone who has the audacity to suggest something like Discotheque and so on to "Mofo would be perfect!" :wink:

I could almost picture Larry smiling when he mentioned "40" as an opener. Something is up, and it may be Mofo.

Perhaps Morrissey can confirm. :wink:

Something is up, and it may be Mofo.

lets hope something IS up, Mofo or otherwise. A real kick-in-the-pants, out-of-nowhere opener is just what they need :) that setlist on the rehearsal video could easily be just a run-through check-up list, not that they need it for the warhorse songs we could see :lol: but what i mean is they could be just fucking with us haha

I think, if we're receiving any Pop this tour, Glastonbury will be it. We're all clamoring for Mofo/Discotheque, and while Mofo isn't an impossibility (there were rehearsal rumors, yes?) I admit that Discotheque is the far more likely, of the two. If they're basically making a set from scratch, a #1 UK single that they snippet every night and have played at least once every tour since its inception isn't all that radical. Hell, it almost seems logical on paper.

Maybe they'll take the "bookends" approach...open with a snippet of 40 leading into Streets, and end with Bad/40.

no matter what they open with, someone will say "They should have opened with blah blah blah."

Why don't they just play a set with all of the openers they've ever played for every tour and just end with 40 or LIB, that would be the ultimate tease and everyone would be happy. ;)

Mofo would be badass, I wish they would play it on 360 with the claw, it would be awesome just like The Fly was awesome under the big top and just go ahead and play Discotheque damn it to have a mini rave after the Crazy remix!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the set I would use, because I don't feel like using the designated fantasy thread.

Explosive mindfuck intro:

1. Zoo Station
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. The Fly
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Until The End of the World

Section for the casuals:

6. New Year's Day
7. I Will Follow
8. Out of Control
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Pride
11. Beautiful Day

Hardcore fan-baiting section:

12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. Zooropa
14. Crazy Tonight
15. Mofo
16. Discotheque

Because you have to close out the main set somehow:

17. Miss Sarajevo
18. One
19. Streets

Encore:

20. Breathe
22. HMTMKMKM
22. Ultraviolet
23. WOWY
24. MOS
25. Bad/40

If they have something to prove, this would prove just about any and every last thing.

Back
Top Bottom