Is this tour frustrating you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zwervers2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Dear fellow INTERFERENCERS.

In the last couple of years there have been (wonderfull) debats between us, the people who clearly love the band, for so long, about new songs, setlists, Bono's hair etc. For the first time (although I have been very critical of the band the last 7 to 8 years) I notice that I get more and more "frustrated" with the decisions the band makes when it commes to songselection on the album as well as on tour etc.

Be honest and ask yourself: are there wrinkles appearing on your U2 appreciation face or are you still the 100% devotee you have allways been and they can do no more wrong/right then they used to do?

I am clearly in the first category. There is still a lot of love but a lot less marvel if you know what I mean.

I am curious :)

in my opinion if people who are sitting thousands of miles away are getting frustrated and wound up etc over whatever, then they really need to just step away from here for a while.

It's not U2 that have changed so much, it's the fucking INTERNET!!!! I keep saying this, having instant access to every little teeny weeny piece of information/setlist/photo/Bono fart is taking the mystique of things. I've been a fan for centuries, back in the dim dark past I had to wait for 3 month old NMEs and Melody Makers to find out set lists, tour info, what Bono's mullet looked like.

Now if I so want to, I know instantly. And most of the time, I don't, don't read the set lists, don't follow the set list parties, I only read the whinging threads, they're fun :wink:

It's not U2 that have changed so much, it's the fucking INTERNET!!!! I keep saying this, having instant access to every little teeny weeny piece of information/setlist/photo/Bono fart is taking the mystique of things. I've been a fan for centuries, back in the dim dark past I had to wait for 3 month old NMEs and Melody Makers to find out set lists, tour info, what Bono's mullet looked like.

Now if I so want to, I know instantly. And most of the time, I don't, don't read the set lists, don't follow the set list parties, I only read the whinging threads, they're fun :wink:
:panic:

sicy, you're awesome.

While I understand your argument the last two tours have been in the internet age and they haven't frustrated me like this one. I think it's the potential of that stage and the dropping of new songs that is frustrating. Also, hearing that Drowning Man had been rehearsed! :sad:

:panic:

:love: That thing is awesome!!

And yeah, I'm totally frustrated. But not with U2. More with their fans. To me this new album is awesome, so much better than the last two. I loved seeing it all live and to me I even enjoyed songs like SBS, Streets and *gasp* even WOWY. I'm getting more and more sick and tired of the same people always bitching whatever U2 do. They change setlists, add obscure songs, and STILL it's not enough. The bitching will continue whatever U2 do. I'd bet if U2 started playing a set full of rarities without warhorses these people would be the first to complain. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'm totally frustrated. But not with U2. More with their fans. To me this new album is awesome, so much better than the last two. I loved seeing it all live and to me I even enjoyed songs like SBS, Streets and *gasp* even WOWY. I'm getting more and more sick and tired of the same people always bitching whatever U2 do. They change setlists, add obscure songs, and STILL it's not enough. The bitching will continue whatever U2 do. I'd bet if U2 started playing a set full of rarities without warhorses these people would be the first to complain. :rolleyes:

oh, exactly. if u2 started playing clubs alongside the 360 tour, people would start moaning that drowning man was being played every night. they can't win. basically, so many people want u2 to become something they've never been re: setlists. it ain't gonna change.

i will admit, there are some things that bug me a bit about the tour - they've got an amazing stage and they aren't doing everything they can with it, plus they're playing songs i don't much care for (now, when i saw them in chicago it was another story, sort of) so if i was seeing them tomorrow i'd be a bit bummed internet or not.

overall, i love this tour. i'd love to see it reach it's full potential (in my opinion), but even now it's still one of their best tours. i love it so much.

Agreed fully Ian. They just can't win.

And yeah, the only minor thing I'd like to see them change is adding more songs that fit the claw. IE Gone, The Fly, Mofo or Discotheque. That would really really rock. Perhaps SUC would be nice live. :shrug: but that's all things I"d like to hear. I don't get frustrated when I don't, because in the end, what's the use? It's not like me getting frustrated will change anything since the band decide what they play.

Agreed fully Ian. They just can't win.

And yeah, the only minor thing I'd like to see them change is adding more songs that fit the claw. IE Gone, The Fly, Mofo or Discotheque. That would really really rock. Perhaps SUC would be nice live. :shrug: but that's all things I"d like to hear. I don't get frustrated when I don't, because in the end, what's the use? It's not like me getting frustrated will change anything since the band decide what they play.

exactly. i think after unknown caller (rip :sad:) stand up comedy is such a surprising song to not be playing. you're right too, there's no point really getting upset about it. it may really annoy me that they keep playing elevation and stuck in a moment, but i can't do anything about it.

this.

plus, i find the general "vibe" in the tour forums is exactly how it was during vertigo. i'm not saying that's good or bad, just that it's more of the same. during vertigo, people complained about static setlists. now for 360, people are doing it again.

personally, i just try to keep some perspective and remember they're notorious for not radically changing things from show to show. sure they mix it up and when you look at a completed tour in its entirety, they do vary some stuff. but comparing one show to the next night's show is unfair, because for every tour, one night stands always get similar setlists. it's disappointing, yes, but it's like marrying someone expecting you can change them and then getting upset when you can't.

The problem I have is, as much as I really enjoy the 360 tour design and stage, the setlists in comparison to the Vertigo Tour SUCK. For the Vertigo Tour they started playing lots of material we hadn't heard for years (more than what we have got with the 360 tour) and fitted it into a sequence that just worked. With the 360 tour, they have this huge structure which in my opinion easily beats the Vertigo Tour stage, yet it's used with and underwhelmed by Songs that don't use it to its full potential. I just don't see the stage being appreciated properly by songs like Stuck, ISHWILF for example.

Thing is we've been spoilt over the years in my opinion so it's harder for them to keep bettering their past tours.

there were five legs of vertigo; we're only on leg two of 360. i just don't think it's fair to compare it yet, unless you're going to compare legs one and two of vertigo ONLY to 360.

unless one wants to compare just pure numbers, how many songs were played for this versus that, it's all subjective.

there were five legs of vertigo; we're only on leg two of 360. i just don't think it's fair to compare it yet, unless you're going to compare legs one and two of vertigo ONLY to 360.

unless one wants to compare just pure numbers, how many songs were played for this versus that, it's all subjective.
more to the point, it isn't really fair to compare a stadium tour to an arena tour, because it's inevitable things are different. again, this is something we've known about u2 since elevation - ages ago. once 360 has had three legs, then we can compare it to the three vertigo stadium legs and see how things pan out.

so much of this is personal preference though. i'm happier with the staples being the unforgettable fire and ultraviolet compared to bullet and pride, but different strokes for different folks. not everybody is going to be happy :shrug:

I'm not frustrated by NLOTH. It's brilliant.

I am frustrated by a total lack of B-sides. Yes, I know they are working on a new album; but they have so much unreleased material - how about throwing us a few instrumentals???

And I am frustrated by the lack of any setlist surprises in a very long time. Changing the track order is not experimenting with the setlist.

And I am frustrated that they have dropped the most interesting new tracks to have an Elevation reunion! Walk On? It feels like a joke! The weakest song they play this tour, meanwhile they don't even attempt SUC or FEZ and UC and YBR get dropped..... :doh:

But I am loving the quality of the performances.

I'd bet if U2 started playing a set full of rarities without warhorses these people would be the first to complain. :rolleyes:
quote of the year.
The problem I have is, as much as I really enjoy the 360 tour design and stage, the setlists in comparison to the Vertigo Tour SUCK. For the Vertigo Tour they started playing lots of material we hadn't heard for years (more than what we have got with the 360 tour) and fitted it into a sequence that just worked. With the 360 tour, they have this huge structure which in my opinion easily beats the Vertigo Tour stage, yet it's used with and underwhelmed by Songs that don't use it to its full potential. I just don't see the stage being appreciated properly by songs like Stuck, ISHWILF for example.

Thing is we've been spoilt over the years in my opinion so it's harder for them to keep bettering their past tours.

see, posts like these are ridiculous. you are complaining that they aren't brining back old songs like they did on vertigo.

how does a setlist with your blue room, ultraviolet and the unforgettable fire suck, exactly? would you have complained in the same manner if you'd known a month before the tour they were going to play these three songs?

I'm not frustrated by NLOTH. It's brilliant.

I am frustrated by a total lack of B-sides. Yes, I know they are working on a new album; but they have so much unreleased material - how about throwing us a few instrumentals???

Lack of B-sides? :scratch: When was the last time you got a big lot of instrumental b-sides from U2? The 90s?

The only interesting B-sides I've heard from the whole 00's eras are Native Son and NLOTH 2. I doubt we'll get instrumentals now as they'll most likely will be used for the new album.

Vertigo tour was more rock and roll. The band took more risks with varied set lists. I particularly liked the encore during the Vertigo tour. Is Bono going to pull someone up? What song are they going to debut? What new visuals are they going to show? You didn't know what songs would be in th emix with the old songs.

This tour is more art and less rock and roll. The songs flow. There's no room for spontaneity because everything is so programmed.

That being said...I love the tour. I love the screen and the stage. I actually remember the Popmart shows and felt that they've topped it with this setup for the stadium shows.

I just wish the band took the time to be spontaneous with the set list each night.

Years ago.....I used to go to Grateful Dead shows. They have a huge back catalog. It was amazing to know the band can add and drop songs left right and center. Yeah....they were that practiced. People would freak because the band would play a tune that they hadn't played in years!

Vertigo tour I got to hear the Ocean, Gloria, Bad, Electric Co, and Out of Control......some goodies for real.

But let's wait till the next legs. U2 are the type of band to switch things up....slowly.

Lack of B-sides? :scratch: When was the last time you got a big lot of instrumental b-sides from U2? The 90s?

The only interesting B-sides I've heard from the whole 00's eras are Native Son and NLOTH 2. I doubt we'll get instrumentals now as they'll most likely will be used for the new album.

What's the confusion!?!?! Even for HTDAAB they gave us the whole "rare and unreleased" track dump on I-Tunes . ATYCLB had great tracks like Don't Take Your Guns to Town, Always, Summer Rain, Big Girls are Best, and yes, before that was the 90s. They may have been a buch of years ago, but only 3 albums !

Instrumentals are not my first choice, my point was that they surely have material they could share without eating away at what they want to use for SOA.

btw, I consider Native Son to be very low quality.

quote of the year.

see, posts like these are ridiculous. you are complaining that they aren't brining back old songs like they did on vertigo.

how does a setlist with your blue room, ultraviolet and the unforgettable fire suck, exactly? would you have complained in the same manner if you'd known a month before the tour they were going to play these three songs?

First of all, this is my opinion, so respect my opinion or don't read it/reply to it if you don't like it. It certainly isn't ridiculous.

Secondly old material, YES I would like to see old material, as this tour seems to be focusing on late 00's U2 with the exception of a few early 90's material and the odd 80's thrown in. Where is Out Of Control, where is Electric Co, I Will Follow, 40, Gloria, October, Drowning Man? the list goes on. There has been very little old material dished up. Whereas on the Vertigo Tour even in the FIRST LEG it was.

Thirdly I was saying songs like elevation, stuck and I still haven't found don't really use the 360 stage design to its full pontential whereas other songs might and seems unfair they haven't 'tried' to experiment that in the setlist.

Fourthly, I never said I disliked YBR, Ultraviolet, TUF, but it doesn't make up for the rest of the unadventurous setlist.

Thirdly I was saying songs like elevation, stuck and I still haven't found don't really use the 360 stage design to its full pontential whereas other songs might and seems unfair they haven't 'tried' to experiment that in the setlist

Actually, I think that ISHFWILF makes great use of the 360 degree stage design. It's really something to see the lights go up and a full stadium is singing and dancing along with that one. I was really enjoying the performances of that song (whereas on album and at times in the past I was kinda 'meh' about it). This stage setup was made for ISHFWILF!

I'm one of those that truly believes that U2 have been losing artistic vision in many things on the last years. For me, this 360º Tour is the best proof of it. I was turned down everytime I explained why by some fans who can't see in multiple direction IMO, but I still stand for it. Starting on the concept of the show, and ending on the deliverance of some songs and on the setlist choices, 360º Tour is very poor, specially when compared to the previous 4 tours and when compared to the album (it seems like they're promoting something else rather than NLOTH).

...and it's not just the damn internet phenomenon. U2 claims they want to be relevant for a long period. Internet came to shake things and to give new ways to pull over our mind and the way we think and structure thoughts. U2 have to face it too if they really want to be relevant.

more to the point, it isn't really fair to compare a stadium tour to an arena tour, because it's inevitable things are different. again, this is something we've known about u2 since elevation - ages ago. once 360 has had three legs, then we can compare it to the three vertigo stadium legs and see how things pan out.

so much of this is personal preference though. i'm happier with the staples being the unforgettable fire and ultraviolet compared to bullet and pride, but different strokes for different folks. not everybody is going to be happy :shrug:
Why? Both are rock shows done in world ours, both have concepts. So, I can compare it.
Why can't I claim that Elevation is conceptually more succeeded than 360º because it suits better it purpose, because it's more cohesive and because it fits the album spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom