Is MOFO coming? Where is it going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bishop Tutu told me to.

tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg

Well, Mofo didn't return for Raleigh tonight. Unless U2 are prompted to play it in Vegas due to the fact that Popmart opened there, I doubt we'll see it during this tour. It's a shame.

because they didn't play it tonight means it won't show up at all on a 2+ year tour? tenuous.

It seemed as if they may have played it tonight to make up for the cancelled Raleigh Popmart gig. I'm just saying that tonight's gig and the Vegas gig would be the best bets for it to return. It doesn't seem like the band would just all of the sudden decide to play a song as long lost as Mofo, especially this far into the tour, unless prompted by something Popmart related. If anything, it seems like the setlist has become more static and subdued as the tour has progressed, thus decreasing the chances for something different like Mofo.

It seemed as if they may have played it tonight to make up for the cancelled Raleigh Popmart gig. I'm just saying that tonight's gig and the Vegas gig would be the best bets for it to return. It doesn't seem like the band would just all of the sudden decide to play a song as long lost as Mofo, especially this far into the tour, unless prompted by something Popmart related. If anything, it seems like the setlist has become more static and subdued as the tour has progressed, thus decreasing the chances for something different like Mofo.
really?

they were still debuting songs almost right to the end on vertigo. like i said, to write off a song because of a very tenuous reason from nearly 13 years ago is not very bright. i'm not saying they will play it, i'm just saying your reasoning is largely non-sensical. and i think the setlist is being mixed up more on this leg.

really?

they were still debuting songs almost right to the end on vertigo. like i said, to write off a song because of a very tenuous reason from nearly 13 years ago is not very bright. i'm not saying they will play it, i'm just saying your reasoning is largely non-sensical. and i think the setlist is being mixed up more on this leg.

The only gem so far from this leg of the tour is Your Blue Room. All of the gems from the last leg were introduced at the beginning. And, even at that, Electrical Storm was dropped. The setlist from TUF onwards has remained largely unchanged (the final 3 songs haven't changed at all). Most of the setlist surprises lately have simply been changes in the order of songs during the first part of the show. I don't see a good reason to expect any big surprises at this point. Even when regulars such as Unknown Caller have been dropped, they have only been replaced by other regulars. I'm not stupid; I don't doubt Mofo is returning simply because it didn't in Raleigh. I simply considered that a prime opportunity for it to do so. The way this setlist has changed over the course of this tour and especially the current leg indicates that things aren't going to get mixed up very much, and, if anything, we'll just see more of the regulars. That's why I seriously doubt that Mofo is coming back.

All these geographic/historic connections with songs are pretty rare when it comes to U2, Miss Sarajevo being a notable exception. For example, a lot of people expected Crumbs From Your Table to debut at the Live 8 gig because of its subject, but in the end it was played in Minneapolis of all places for the first time. Most of the time when they expect a song to work well within the show, they decide to play it. I don't think Bono remembers in what city he played two nights ago, let alone that a show in Raleigh was cancelled in '97, and they should make up with Mofo because of this. 90% of fans in Raleigh (or anywhere else probably) wouldn't give a shit about Mofo anyway.

Dropping Unknown Caller and adding 300 additional songs from ATYCLB does not bode well for Mofo coming back in any form.

All these geographic/historic connections with songs are pretty rare when it comes to U2, Miss Sarajevo being a notable exception. For example, a lot of people expected Crumbs From Your Table to debut at the Live 8 gig because of its subject, but in the end it was played in Minneapolis of all places for the first time. Most of the time when they expect a song to work well within the show, they decide to play it. I don't think Bono remembers in what city he played two nights ago, let alone that a show in Raleigh was cancelled in '97, and they should make up with Mofo because of this. 90% of fans in Raleigh (or anywhere else probably) wouldn't give a shit about Mofo anyway.

They started playing NYD in Poland this year, hadn't appeared before that.

They started playing NYD in Poland this year, hadn't appeared before that.

Actually, New Year's Day was played at the 3rd Dublin concert for the first time in 2009, although they did play it in Poland, due to the amazing reaction it got there in 2005. But yeah, that is another example together with Miss Sarajevo.

Actually, New Year's Day was played at the 3rd Dublin concert for the first time in 2009, although they did play it in Poland, due to the amazing reaction it got there in 2005. But yeah, that is another example together with Miss Sarajevo.

MOTD and One Tree Hill are also examples. I guess Miami and New York could be considered examples, too, but it's not like they go out of their way to play those songs in their respective cities.

One Tree Hill in New Zealand is the only for sure deal. Bono has said it will always be played in some form whenever they play there. Otherwise the only other song that was typically done to play a specific country up until the last two tours was Spanish Eyes in Spain. That trend has unfortunately come to an abrupt halt for some reason. (although they did soundcheck Spanish Eyes in Madrid on Vertigo I believe, they just didnt do it at the show).

Otherwise you are entirely correct. When a new song appears it is just typically at the whim of whatever the band is feeling at the time.

I think Mofo will not be played on this tour, thought lastnight in Raleigh there would have been a chance since they cancelled Popmart there, and when I heard the snippet before COBL, he's really just speaking it, more like the Yeats poem instead of singing it. Have to live on the memories of 1997 Toronto.

Uh, no. I was at the premiere and it wasn't Poland, it was Ireland. Dublin 3.

Right I forget, it showed up once, but there was an interview floating around that confirmed they'd play it their regardless of having not played it yet (at the time).

yeah, since they didn't actually rehearse it I think it's a safe bet we're not getting Mofo this leg :wink: but who knows what they'll be playing a year from now? If they can bring out Your Blue Room (and UF, and UV, and for a bit ES...) then Mofo is completely in the realm of possibility.

Well, I don't like the CT remix. Don't replace Elevation. Sorry for those of you who want it out (and I may be in the minority here) but I think that song is great. Either way, just play MOFO U2!:yes:

Elevation is a brilliant stadium song and it's great that they're playing it. Mofo would be equally brilliant... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom