Is MOFO coming? Where is it going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very few people in the audience would recognize the obscure sixth single from U2's most publicly hated album.

That being said, I'd explode if they played it live.

The reaction of Mofo would be similar to Zoo Station on the last tour. Or Ultraviolet on this one. I think some of you are selling U2 fans too short. UV and Zoo Station were never singles but just deep cuts that were played extensively just on one tour before the reprisals on the last two tours, the same would be true for Mofo. Sure AB is more popular album, but the disdain for Pop is really overstated around here. Not to mention Mofo rocks live.

Mofo rocks to those who accept Pop and PopMart, Zoo Station is a much more beloved song overall.

Yeah same. All I heard was a bunch of drumming and then what sounded like Muse. I think someone may be yankin our chains here

If it was just drums then it's false alarm.

From what I've heard at my shows, Sam O Sullivan ALWAYS does his drums soundcheck with Mofo. I recognised it when I heard it. He also did Gloria in Paris.

Very few people in the audience would recognize the obscure sixth single from U2's most publicly hated album.

That being said, I'd explode if they played it live.

That's an overstatement- you write as if effigies of Bono were burned in the streets when Pop came out! If anything it seems to have grown on people since 1997. And yes, it was the sixth single from the album but it opened the PopMart show and in a very grandiose fashion so it will be recognised by all who went in 97/8 and I don't think many will have dropped dead in the meantime.

Mofo rocks to those who accept Pop and PopMart, Zoo Station is a much more beloved song overall.

Yes, I think that's a very pertinent remark- of course I think both should be there (with silhouetted goosestepping too!) but I'd settle for Zoo Station alone.

That's an overstatement- you write as if effigies of Bono were burned in the streets when Pop came out! If anything it seems to have grown on people since 1997. And yes, it was the sixth single from the album but it opened the PopMart show and in a very grandiose fashion so it will be recognised by all who went in 97/8 and I don't think many will have dropped dead in the meantime.

What makes you say it's grown on people?

I'm with digitize, the casual fans don't know this song, doesn't matter if they went to Popmart or not...

Exactly - I'm really factoring in the reactions of the gajillion "casual fans" who are at the shows. The ones who really don't care unless they're playing Pride or One or Beautiful Day. There are a LOT of them, and they'd have the same reaction to Mofo as they do to Crazy Tonight.

It's hard to accurately judge the reaction of 60,000 - 80,000 people. You can only gauge what you see around you. That goes for me saying "everyone was so into Crazy Tonight" and you saying "wow, it killed the momentum."

Some people are going to be excited no matter what, some people are going to be fiddling with their iPhones through half the concert, some people are going to have WTF looks on their faces to hear something they don't know.

I just don't agree that Mofo would have an opposite effect as your characterization that CT kills the show. I think it would go over in a similar manner - some would be loving it, some might hate it, some might not care, and then we'd come and argue about what the crowd's reaction was. :wink:

That being said, I would probably pee myself with excitement if they busted out Mofo at one of the shows I'm going to.

What makes you say it's grown on people?

I'm with digitize, the casual fans don't know this song, doesn't matter if they went to Popmart or not...

Well the critics seem to like it more now. If you read the reviews of NLOTH, they praise Pop and distance themselves from the previous two records. I think Q magazine is a good example. I feel differently about the record now- a lot of my friends do. Of course, all these impresions are entirely subjective but it's a feeling I get. And I disagree with you and digitize- Mofo is not exactly the sort of song to go through one ear and out the other!

Well the critics seem to like it more now. If you read the reviews of NLOTH, they praise Pop and distance themselves from the previous two records. I think Q magazine is a good example. I feel differently about the record now- a lot of my friends do. Of course, all these impresions are entirely subjective but it's a feeling I get. And I disagree with you and digitize- Mofo is not exactly the sort of song to go through one ear and out the other!

For us, certainly not. I don't understand how anyone could not be absolutely enthralled by hearing Pop songs live... and yet the American masses outside of places like Boston, Chicago, and NYC totally ignored the Pop songs on the PopMart Tour. The have band complained before about being very disappointed at seeing tens of thousands of people go to buy alcohol when they were playing some song of theirs from Pop that was undeniably amazing live - see: LNOE, Please, Disco. Mofo didn't have that fate, because it was the PopMart opener, but it probably would have with the rest of the amazing Pop songs had it been later in the set.

Replace CT with Mofo. That's my opinion. I like Mofo (especially the Mexico City version from PopMart) and it is a monster when played live. I get real pumped when I hear it. And who cares if no one recognizes it! It kicks ass and that's all it has to do. If they only play it one night on the tour make it next Saturday. Sorry all you Pop lovers.:lol:

Why have to replace anything? Just add it into the damn setlist without getting rid of anything. :wink:

Regardless of what the band or fans think of Pop and Popmart in general, it would be a crime to not bring back one of the three:

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

These are some of U2's best live songs; and the majority of the casual fans there will like them without even realizing they are off "that album that sucks"

After talking to people who worked or went to the Gillette shows, I just dont give a shit about casual fans or listeners anymore, sorry. They all told me how U2 should have never played 7 songs from NLOTH and just played the greatest hits like the stones, kiss, etc. I tried to tell them, look, U2 is not that kind of band and they honestly try and make every album their best. You don't see the Stones latest album going #1 all over the industrialized world. Most of the setlist bitching comes from casual fans looking for EVEN MORE of the greatest hits!! As if BD, MW, Stuck, Elevation, One, Streets, WOWY, Still havent found, SBS, NYD and Vertigo were not enough for one set!

U2 in general is getting so much criticism for this tour, stage too big, etc. All idiotic arguments, really. I challenge any band to try and find way to do a stadium tour this intimate, with the band members this close to the crowd. It has never happened, and will only ever happen in the future if COPIED by other bands.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it just seems like everyone, media, etc is out to whack U2 this time around no matter what. This is what I will believe until someone can give me a better explanation as to why an album like NLOTH is virtually unknown outside the fan base. You never hear anything on the radio. Everyone is trying to promote U2 as a washed up, oversized(just look at that stage) has been like the Stones.

I don't care what the radio says, NLOTH is a great album.

I know I shouldn't derail my own thread, but seriously! It is about time U2 realize that people will criticize them NO MATTER WHAT, and as a result, just do whatever they damn well please. That would include playing songs like LNOE, Drowning Man, THBAO, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness, Wire and MOFO. I don't care if the "professional reviewer" in the audience can't even write down the setlist because she or he does not know what the hell they are playing.

Regardless of what the band or fans think of Pop and Popmart in general, it would be a crime to not bring back one of the three:

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

These are some of U2's best live songs; and the majority of the casual fans there will like them without even realizing they are off "that album that sucks"

After talking to people who worked or went to the Gillette shows, I just dont give a shit about casual fans or listeners anymore, sorry. They all told me how U2 should have never played 7 songs from NLOTH and just played the greatest hits like the stones, kiss, etc. I tried to tell them, look, U2 is not that kind of band and they honestly try and make every album their best. You don't see the Stones latest album going #1 all over the industrialized world. Most of the setlist bitching comes from casual fans looking for EVEN MORE of the greatest hits!! As if BD, MW, Stuck, Elevation, One, Streets, WOWY, Still havent found, SBS, NYD and Vertigo were not enough for one set!

U2 in general is getting so much criticism for this tour, stage too big, etc. All idiotic arguments, really. I challenge any band to try and find way to do a stadium tour this intimate, with the band members this close to the crowd. It has never happened, and will only ever happen in the future if COPIED by other bands.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it just seems like everyone, media, etc is out to whack U2 this time around no matter what. This is what I will believe until someone can give me a better explanation as to why an album like NLOTH is virtually unknown outside the fan base. You never hear anything on the radio. Everyone is trying to promote U2 as a washed up, oversized(just look at that stage) has been like the Stones.

I know I shouldn't derail my own thread, but seriously! It is about time U2 realize that people will criticize them NO MATTER WHAT, and as a result, just do whatever they damn well please. That would include playing songs like LNOE, Drowning Man, THBAO, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness, Wire and MOFO. I don't care if the "professional reviewer" in the audience can't even write down the setlist because she or he does not know what the hell they are playing.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

:up::up::up::applaud: That is the best post this thread has recieved.

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

This post is made of 99.9% gold. (the other 0.01% is awesomeness)

:up:

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

In my view this is the post of 2009, thus far :applaud::applaud::applaud:

given the band's view of their own catalogue I think they are getting pretty close to playing what they want to play

given the band's view of their own catalogue I think they are getting pretty close to playing what they want to play

Thanks everyone, wasn't expecting alot of positive reaction to my last post!

This is a great point, Salome! Bono I know thinks Stay is one of their best, if not their best song, and I think everyone(maybe not Larry) has talked about loving YBR.

SNL appearance only adds weight to your point- they could have played crazy, BD and Vertigo or Magnificent or I will Follow or One, that would have been playing it relatively safe. However, they took a risk with Breathe, MOS and Ultraviolet, 2 non singles from NLOTH and a deep cut from AB. I doubt too many in the crowd had ever heard any of these 3.

MOFO
Last Night On Earth
Please

You, sir, are absolutely right.

The problem with U2 in the US is that the media is generally totally gaga when they produce crap (Bomb, for example), but explode when U2 try to be creative (TUF, the 90s, and NLOTH, for example).

Are U2 struggling on this tour? I hadn't realised that. My opinion is its EASILY their best tour since Popmart and by coincedence its supporting their best album since Pop. The Sheffield gig I went to has been on my car stereo for the past 5 weeks since the gig, fabulous sounding show. So to hear that its not being received well is surprising. Oh well the mainstream really does suck if thats the case!

What makes you think those are the songs they want to play, or they aren't doing whatever they please right now? I agree with what you are saying, and would like to hear all those BUT I think U2 has always been about getting the biggest reaction and pleasing the largest number of people. I think they would quickly go away from a lot of that stuff (if they ever played it) because they wouldn't get the huge reactions. All the comments about not playing drowning man were because they were so worried about the reaction to it, and it would kill momentum (ie- crowd won't go crazy over it).

I think that is why they are still playing elevation almost every night. They cannot think its one of their best songs, but they get a huge reaction. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they enjoy playing the songs that get the biggest reactions, and would explain a lot about their song choices.

What makes you think those are the songs they want to play, or they aren't doing whatever they please right now? I agree with what you are saying, and would like to hear all those BUT I think U2 has always been about getting the biggest reaction and pleasing the largest number of people. I think they would quickly go away from a lot of that stuff (if they ever played it) because they wouldn't get the huge reactions. All the comments about not playing drowning man were because they were so worried about the reaction to it, and it would kill momentum (ie- crowd won't go crazy over it).

I think that is why they are still playing elevation almost every night. They cannot think its one of their best songs, but they get a huge reaction. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they enjoy playing the songs that get the biggest reactions, and would explain a lot about their song choices.

Oh, this is probably true. And I don't mind it in some cases... for instance, I'm not a big fan of SHF, but it was absolutely amazing to sing the first verse of the song with 70,000 of my closest friends in Chicago. But I think they also really like surprising the audience, and trying to blow them away with songs that they genuinely like beyond the sing-along factor... especially with the new material, TUF, YBR, and Ultraviolet (although I sing along with all of that, too).

Back
Top Bottom