intro to streets , not that good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, I miss the segue. How awesome would it be to have Unknown Caller leading into Streets. I get spine tingles just imagining it.

With respect to Desmond Tutu, his eyes are kind of funny when he says "ONE!" during the speech.

i mentioned this before when talking about segues in a past thread. That song by , i think its by Peter, Bjorn & John , Young Folks, would be a better lead in to streets.lol. then what their doing now.

yeah, I agree...something seems cut short in some way....not sure what it is exactly...I like the harmonics Edge does (ZooTV style), but something doesn't feel complete about the intro...maybe we just need that RTSS--->Streets segue again :yes:

Agreed, I miss the segue. How awesome would it be to have Unknown Caller leading into Streets. I get spine tingles just imagining it.

Unknown Caller leads into The Unforgettable Fire. Don't you get spine tingles imagining that?

I don't mind the Tutu speech, I actually think it's quite a nice idea and it's better than Bono rambling on and on about Africa on stage. They did a decent job with that. The only thing I find a little ackward is that everyone, at least those who don't know the setlist, expect ONE to come on after the speech and not Streets. Obviously it wouldn't work with One because Bono still insists to have a few words before One.

I don't mind the Tutu speech, I actually think it's quite a nice idea and it's better than Bono rambling on and on about Africa on stage. They did a decent job with that. The only thing I find a little ackward is that everyone, at least those who don't know the setlist, expect ONE to come on after the speech and not Streets. Obviously it wouldn't work with One because Bono still insists to have a few words before One.

So you think the speech leading into Streets is a good thing? You would not prefer a song leading into it?

Depends on the song that leads into Streets. UC would fit musically, but not thematically. Obviously, there is a "political" theme running through the last third of the show, so the speech fits right there where it is. And I also think Tutu't enthusiasm builds up a certain excitement that is good for Streets. But, as I said, the emphasis on ONE is a little misleading.

But I also understand that the band wants to have this speech and that they want to have it somewhere around Streets and One. It's better than Bono's Africa speeches, though.

I think the speech is quite nice and I met a lot of people who liked it.

So the setlist sucks, UC is a weak track, and now the intro to Streets is not that good...

is there any reason to go see this tour?

:wink:

The speech only works before Streets or One, and they won't play it before One, because it's Bono speech time.

Well, let me tell you, if I have to choose between having the speech "work", and Streets "work", yeah, I'll sort of choose Streets. Cos right now, the speech aint working in front of Streets.

streets intro

anyone else here feel that the mandela speech intro for streets just doesn't have the emotional punch of past incarnations of streets?

for me, the elevation tour's bad/streets was the best transition/intro for streets - the popmart please/streets was pretty great too.

i'm not saying i don't like the mandela speech, just doesn't do streets justice.

Streets was written about Ethiopia, Bono has said many times, so given the African connection, the speech makes sense in that spot.

I don't really like Bono's pre-One speech, though. Bono's onstage persona is turning into his off-stage political persona. In the old days, if Bono was talking politics onstage, he was angry and fiery ("fuck the revolution!!!") etc. and it worked so well with the anger and power of the songs. Now, though, he talks reasonably, and sensibly, and hems and haws, like a proper politician, and it saps the energy of the songs a little bit, IMO.

Oh well, minor complaint. I'll still be seeing 'em multiple times this tour! :wink:

Unknown Caller into Streets is a great call---the end of that guitar solo and the streets organ intro sound like they were made to be joined.

Its really teasing they play MLK 1 song before streets, im not a big fan of the shortened guitar intro aswell as the speech, but eh least the bright light is back when the drums kick in :)

Its really teasing they play MLK 1 song before streets, im not a big fan of the shortened guitar intro aswell as the speech, but eh least the bright light is back when the drums kick in :)

seriously though...I think this is one of the worst things they could do to this song...shorten the guitar intro...that makes no sense on every level...it's just fucking stupid....

seriously though...I think this is one of the worst things they could do to this song...shorten the guitar intro...that makes no sense on every level...it's just fucking stupid....

I agree, the riff is the iconic part of the song. It's way too short this time around.

I don't mind the speech into it, though I feel like if they're playing MLK they might as well have it segue into Streets as SexyBoots said.

despite all this though, Streets still sounds great.

The shortened guitar intro kills it a bit, for me anyway. In Milan the song didnt really take off (in regards to crowd reaction) the way it can with the proper intro, it didnt get the time it needed to build up.

Apart from that the song sounds as good as ever.

i'm not saying i don't like the mandela speech, just doesn't do streets justice.

:| THe fact you call this a Mandela speech says enough.

Don't judge it until you've seen it live. The whole crowd listened intently and the speech by ARCHBISHOP DESMOND TUTU was very well received. It definitely is a good intro to Streets. It builds up the tension, he's a great speaker and has a lot of good intonation in his voice. And when you know Streets is coming it makes it even better.

I would've liked a longer guitar intro though.

I thought the speech actually added to Streets
granted though, I didn't watch the youtube version yet

I thought the speech actually added to Streets
granted though, I didn't watch the youtube version yet

but you get such a better perspective when you watch the clips on youtube :tsk:
and you can even stay at home and complain here instead of going to see a show :up:

Back
Top Bottom