If U2 did short club tours...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I think this would be a good idea. Maybe going forward, they could road test new songs in clubs before they are released. Really, pretty much the same idea as the Somerville theatre show in 2009 for NLOTH, except before the release and play more songs in the shows.This takes the pressure off of pleasing the casuals and takes the pressure off of needing to be perfect in front of 80,000 people.

Either way, it would be nice for U2 to do this in other contexts as well. Maybe do some East coast American gigs around St Patrick's Day or gigs wherever between tours. Nothing too big or taxing or expensive, stay out for a week or two, simple sets with minimal tour personnel and then go back home.

U2 would get the chance to play some b-sides, fan favorites, early day rockers and new songs. The set would not have to tell a story(personal section, political section, etc) to captivate an arena or stadium. Just do an intimate, high energy rock show and have fun with the catalog.

Possibilites are endless, but I am thinking something like this:

1.)11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2.)I Will Follow
3.)Three Sunrises
4.)A Sort of Homecoming
5.)Bad
6.)Every Breaking Wave
7.)Stay
8.)Desire(full band, Lovetown)
9.)Two Hearts Beat As One
10.)Gloria
11.)Streets
12.)Luminous Times
13.)Trip Through Your Wire
14.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
15.)Exit
16.)Lady with the Spinning Head
17.)Wire
18.)No Line On The Horizon
19.)Even Better Than The Real Thing
20.)Magnificent
21.)All I want is You
22.)Walk To The Water
------------------------------------------------------------
1.)I Wanna Be Sedated/Beat on The Brat/Friday I'm in Love/Rock The Casbah/London Calling/insert Clash, Cure, Ramones cover here.
2.)Vertigo/Stories for Boys/She loves you

Change it every night, but you get the idea. Keep the energy up, 3 or 4 out of 24 songs should be slower. Play some b sides, alot of early day rockers, whatever the latest single is, maybe even pull one of those fan made signs out of the audience on occassion.

Lets be realistic- In what other context would we ever hear Walk To The Water?

I'd love to hear your ideas in general, or make a setlist for a U2 club show here.

My god no. It's already a huge disaster getting tickets for a STADIUM show here, I don't even want to think what would happen if they'd go in clubs. :crack:

Do both, it's one thing the Rolling Stones did that I think U2 absolutely should copy. Would have been a great balance for this particular tour as well.

I think we'd all love it, but then again we'd all love if they came and played our backyard. Realistically it would be a nightmare. And that setlist is very odd, way too many b-sides. Even in an interference setting I don't think we realistically want Walk to the Water, Three Sunrises, Lady, and Luminous Times all in one show.

Even in an interference setting I don't think we realistically want Walk to the Water, Three Sunrises, Lady, and Luminous Times all in one show.

Speak for yourself :)

4 of 24 isn't exactly obscurity land for interference members.

Plenty of past staples and hits are in there.

Streets, IWF, SBS, Vertigo- you know, the stuff they play all the time. There's plenty of that too.

See, this is what I like about some other bands I follow, e.g. Crowded House. Although they can and do sell out large shows, they also make a point of playing clubs, either as one-offs or small tours or warm-up shows. And you can tell they get a right kick out of doing it. Would U2? Well, they seemed to visibly enjoy the gigs at the Astoria and Irving Plaza before Elevation ...

Sure, ticketing would be a nightmare, but there are ways to make it less of a nightmare - fanclub-only as some bands do, announce the show in the same city AFTER a major stadium show has been sold out and a lot of the casual demand has been sated, etc. If the Stones can pull off club gigs without fans rioting outside ticketing outlets, U2 can too.

Anyway, I agree that it's a great chance to play less well-known songs that the band and hardcore fans are passionate about but that would not necessarily work in a stadium environment (though we all saw in 2005 that if the song's done right, it goes down a treat with casuals - I am, of course, referring to The Electric Co.).

It's been a while since I've done a setlist, so here's a random club set. Don't read too much into it, except how cool it would be to actually witness this.

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Gloria
3. The Electric Co.
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Last Night On Earth
6. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
7. Twilight
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
10. Luminous Times
11. New Year's Day
12. A Sort Of Homecoming
13. One Tree Hill
14. Exit
15. Out Of Control
16. God Part II

17. Gone
18. Until The End Of The World
19. Acrobat (or, if you insist on excluding Acrobat, Wake Up Dead Man)
20. Love Is Blindness

21. Zooropa
22. Lady With The Spinning Head
23. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
24. I Will Follow

25. Bad/40

If U2 did club tours...well I rather have them play theaters/amphitheaters but this sounds interesting also! Intimacy at it's best right here. :applaud:

I just think most of us would want rare album songs before most b-sides; like Acrobat, God Part II, Fez, etc...

Personally I love Walk to the Water but I think it would be boring live.

Fair enough.

AFTER a major stadium show has been sold out and a lot of the casual demand has been sated, etc. If the Stones can pull off club gigs without fans rioting outside ticketing outlets, U2 can too.

Exactly what the Stones did in Sydney. Announced the Enmore Theatre gig with only 48hrs notice before the show kicked off, and within that time their 2nd 20K sellout Acer Arena gig took place. They only sold tickets in person, from two places, 36hrs beforehand. No chaos. Good system too for stopping re-sales.

Back
Top Bottom