Have we seen the last of Electrical Storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
As per the title, i think we may well have seen the back of it. Personally, i feel it never really worked the way they played live. It had to much of a jamming feel to it...like they were ad libbing. And as for the guitar part in the chorus (possibly the worst Edge guitar work of all time).
Not too sad to see the end of it (assuming it has gone) in its most recent form.

I don't know. It was soundchecked in Dublin (3rd concert), so it's still on the band's mind. I was lucky to hear that song in Barcelona, as it is a great song. It might needed a bit more work, but hopefully that's not a reason to drop it.

I hope they bring it back, it was so great in Milan. I hope they don't give up working on the song, it could be one of the tour's highlights if it's played properly. I'd be sad to see it go after it was played only twice.

Some songs they seem to not quite figure out live. Zooropa and Babyface being other examples. Im wondering if ES is one of these. Its a GREAT song, but (for me)....has bombed live thus far. But..i have every faith in the lads, they could pull it out of the bag yet!:up:

For me, ES and walk on are two similar songs, what send out a sort of similar emotion, that happy alive u2 2000 feel, and having both is wasting up a space for a song like Drowning man, or Elevation when played. Ino its a good thing to have a nice flow in the setlist which walk on and es do together, even though there's many songs played between them, but having to many songs that send out the same emotion can be a waste of space for a song like drowning man that can send out something else. This is just a thought of mine.

I don't know. It was soundchecked in Dublin (3rd concert), so it's still on the band's mind. I was lucky to hear that song in Barcelona, as it is a great song. It might needed a bit more work, but hopefully that's not a reason to drop it.

Agreed.....

During the soundcheck it was more than just a straight playing of the song. It sounded like they were really working with it......so take that for whatever it is ;)

i don't believe it will ever be a tour staple, but i still think they'll bring it out once or twice again this tour.

i thought it sounded pretty good live :scratch:

but maybe that's just cuz i'v never really been a big fan of ES, and so didn't analyze the live peformance with a great deal of scrutiny :shrug:

I'm completely bummed they didn't play it in any of my shows, but at least I heard the soundcheck in Dublin! It sounded really good, and I may be the only person who LOVES the chorus this way. The BBC demo is still my favourite version.

The soundcheck sounded slightly different than the initial live version from Barca, it seems like the band is really trying to make it work. I have a feeling we're going to see this song again later this tour...

I have a feeling they'll play it tonight, actually. I'm much more concerned about DM than ES.

They didn't quite get ES right. I can't understand why the Edge used that guitar part on the chorus when it sounded so poor and it's questionable what good Bono did by just standing there with the Gretsch. But there were promising signs too- I liked the Orbit-style intro and Bono's vocals were good so instead of dropping it they should have worked on it a bit more- perhaps Bono could have strummed an acoustic guitar in the verses. Incidentally can anyone more musically literate than me explain why Edge is not playing the original guitar part on the chorus?

For me, ES and walk on are two similar songs, what send out a sort of similar emotion, that happy alive u2 2000 feel, and having both is wasting up a space for a song like Drowning man, or Elevation when played. Ino its a good thing to have a nice flow in the setlist which walk on and es do together, even though there's many songs played between them, but having to many songs that send out the same emotion can be a waste of space for a song like drowning man that can send out something else. This is just a thought of mine.

I'm not sure, actually. Like you I worry about this happy milennial feel of their set but I think ES is quite dark and ambiguous.

They didn't quite get ES right. I can't understand why the Edge used that guitar part on the chorus when it sounded so poor and it's questionable what good Bono did by just standing there with the Gretsch. But there were promising signs too- I liked the Orbit-style intro and Bono's vocals were good so instead of dropping it they should have worked on it a bit more- perhaps Bono could have strummed an acoustic guitar in the verses. Incidentally can anyone more musically literate than me explain why Edge is not playing the original guitar part on the chorus?
I personally that his live chorus part sounds better than the Orbit Mix's chorus part when done well, as it was in Milan.
I'm not sure, actually. Like you I worry about this happy milennial feel of their set but I think ES is quite dark and ambiguous.
ES feels much more 90s-ish than anything else they released after 1997, at least before NLOTH.

Edge IS actually playing the ORIGINAL part of the chorus. But this shows you have never heard the original version of Electrical Storm, aka the demo version that was leaked through BBC radio.

Personally I think the guitar part fits quite well, especially with Bono doing the chords of the band version in it.
Bono was quite audible strumming the chords of the band version during Edge's chorus on the rehearsal in Dublin. I don't believe I've heard them on the Barcelona version.

Galeongirl u were the one who completely lost it when they played it in Barcelona right?? :wink:

but hearing it live was indeed an uber-special moment!

For me, ES and walk on are two similar songs, what send out a sort of similar emotion, that happy alive u2 2000 feel, and having both is wasting up a space for a song like Drowning man, or Elevation when played.

:huh: ES is happy/alive/uplifting? Really? I don't understand that comparison at all. It's much heavier and downbeat, both thematically and musically. Drowning Man and Electrical Storm have more in common, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as ES live, I doubt it has been tossed out entirely. Didn't sound great to me, but they were starting to figure it out. But I think it's a wonderful song, so perhaps I'm being unduly optimistic.

Galeongirl u were the one who completely lost it when they played it in Barcelona right?? :wink:

but hearing it live was indeed an uber-special moment!

Damn right and damn proud of it! :rockon:

:lol: I wasn't the only one!!!!

I'm still bummed I didn't get to see it, but hearing it at soundcheck was certainly good enough for me! And who knows, if they can make it work it may even be played next year. :D

In my top 10, but from what I heard, it didn't work. Give me Bad every night--the quintessential U2 song. IMO, they are not playing enough of their many "stadium filling" songs.

Edge IS actually playing the ORIGINAL part of the chorus. But this shows you have never heard the original version of Electrical Storm, aka the demo version that was leaked through BBC radio.

Personally I think the guitar part fits quite well, especially with Bono doing the chords of the band version in it.
Bono was quite audible strumming the chords of the band version during Edge's chorus on the rehearsal in Dublin. I don't believe I've heard them on the Barcelona version.

No it doesn't show that- I used the term "original" to denote the single version. And anyhow that has nothing to do with things anyway.

Regarding that Electrical Storm video...

The song sounds much better now than the last two times it was performed, the prechorus riff is not that awkward anymore. They should drop that cheesy synth during the chorus though. I'm not used to saying this lightly, but the 2:07 "Electrical stooorm" is the closest falsetto to the ZooTV one I've heard in ages.

And is Bono full of shit, trying to create some extra hype or is his memory really so bad that he announces it as a premiere, despite people telling him it isn't? :D

Probably a bit of both.

:huh: ES is happy/alive/uplifting? Really? I don't understand that comparison at all. It's much heavier and downbeat, both thematically and musically. Drowning Man and Electrical Storm have more in common, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see how it'd be an upbeat song though, despite the fact that it's about a relationship problem, so to speak. When it picks up musically too, it just soars towards the end, which might have something to do with it.

ES is Sounding better, but wish that guitar part from 2:46 - 3:08 would be traded for some power chords instead. IMHO, it would improve the song. Just my opinion, not a fact!

Back
Top Bottom