Great Setlist Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Lets assume the new songs listed here fit in well with the ones around it

01 Breathe
02 Get on Your Boots
03 Every Breaking Wave
04 Beautiful Day
05 Elevation
06 If I Could Live My Life Again
07 You Can’t Give Your Heart Away
08 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
09 All I Want is You
10 City of Blinding Lights
11 Vertigo / Stories for Boys
12 I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
13 Sunday Bloody Sunday
14 Angel of Harlem
15 North Star
16 Bad / The First Time
17 Where the Streets Have No Name
18 Pride (In the Name of Love)
Encore
19 Bullet the Blue Sky
20 Until the End of the World
21 New Year’s Day
Encore
22 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
23 With or Without You
24 Moment of Surrender

SMB

without knowing what any of the possible new songs sound like, it's impossible for me to comment on whether i like your setlist idea.

They need a new opening song. I don't care for dropping "No Line On The Horizon" either, its my favorite from the album. Why put Pride back in? Its nice they have retired that warhorse for the time being IMO. I will say the same about Bullet. One of the good things about this tour is its omission. It needed a break for a tour. No Unforgettable Fire?? Basically all the songs that stand out to me besides Crazy and Ultraviolet have been eliminated on your setlist.

So I guess I don't like it! ;)

Well, they need Pride cause the American crowd dont get the NLOTH stuff, most of the time (and I saw the show in several different cities) people would shout for songs like Pride and I Will Follow and the big rock anthems instead of liking the new stuff. They'd boo new stuff and sit down and shout over it and leave

SMB

Well, they need Pride cause the American crowd dont get the NLOTH stuff, most of the time (and I saw the show in several different cities) people would shout for songs like Pride and I Will Follow and the big rock anthems instead of liking the new stuff. They'd boo new stuff and sit down and shout over it and leave

SMB

which shows did you go to? Sounds pretty childish to me...

Honestly i wouldn't mind seeing some more old stuff in the setlist. But i wouldn't boo or act like an idiot because i dont get my way.

Foxboro 1, NJ1, NJ2, Dallas & Houston (both Texas shows were the worst crowds EVER and NJ1 as kinda bad. Foxboro 1 and NJ2 had good crowds though

SMB

SMB

i was in chicago, pride got probably the most muted reaction to all of the so called big rock anthems.

SMB

They didn't play Pride or I Will Follow in America on 360......save for Chicago 1.

I have never seen or heard anything like you describe as far as audience reaction to the new stuff.

I like Pride alot- wouldn't mind seeing it come back on a NYD type basis, but every night-that ship has sailed. It needs at least one tour where it sits out the majority of shows.

Keep playing NLOTH material, certainly play new songs if they get some released, that is fine by me.

As for hits, Elevation and WOWY for sure can afford to sit out. Bullet can miss the rest of the tour, wouldn't bother me. NYD could use a little more frequent performances too.

Some other observations:

Until The End of The World and Even Better Than The Real Thing- 1 of the 2 should make 70-80% of the shows.

A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country- U2 really should bring both of these songs back. These songs are U2 at their most brilliant.

Gloria, 2 Hearts, 11 Tick Tock, Surrender, Seconds, Out of Control, Another Time Another Place, Electric Co, An cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Twilight, etc- I have said it elsewhere, but what is wrong with one of these early 80s gems making it in on occassion. Maybe 1 or 2 per show. It would give some needed reassurance to casual fans, long time fans, critics, etc who for some reason or another, whether we agree or not, think U2 has lost the plot entirely with 360.

That is to say nothing of Pop songs like Gone, Do You Feel Loved, LNOE, Please and HMTMKMKM that would fit very well!

Basically, if U2 takes some of the criticism regarding lack of a theme, something missing, something not connecting, etc on the 360 tour to heart, they need to liven things up. More rotation and maybe a lengthening of the set by 1 or 2 songs.

One thing is for sure, in order to change the lukewarm popular perception of 360(look at this big ass stage, and not much else), U2 needs to drop the 5 songs per night from ATYCLB. That is a no brainer.

Foxboro 1, NJ1, NJ2, Dallas & Houston (both Texas shows were the worst crowds EVER and NJ1 as kinda bad. Foxboro 1 and NJ2 had good crowds though

SMB

I thought the crowds overall sucked on 360, Foxboro 1 was good but nothing like we are used to for U2 in Boston. Foxboro 2 was bar none the worst crowd I have ever seen period. Most of them left at the end of Walk On, mostly due to concerns over the parking lot situation. Still.....

However, no one booed the new songs, in fact, aside from BD, Streets and SBS, I think the new songs got the biggest receptions. The crowd was definitely not all familiar with the opening salvo from NLOTH, but they were hardly unenthusiastic about it.

We may not agree on the songs they should play, but one thing is for sure. The biggest criticism of this tour in the real, non blue crack world is the songs U2 are playing. People who have been on this planet longer than 25 or 30 years know a hell of a lot more about U2 then U2 gives them credit for. So many people not too familiar with U2 know every song from JT and AB and a good amount from UF and War.

I do not know if it is due to the lack of radio airplay/cultural relevance for NLOTH as compared to ATYCLB and Bomb, hence the new songs not being as well known by people, or due to their selection of back catalog songs this tour.

One thing is for sure- I did not hear all my co workers who are only casually familiar with U2 material walking out of the arena after working the Vertigo tour shows and telling me without being asked that the setlist sucked. I got a lot of that as they were leaving 360.

My own views? I agree with my coworkers in part(ditch ATYCLB, more JT!!) and disagree with them in part(how could you not applaud the return of UF and UV if you have any sense of what U2 is about whatsoever?)

I never said they played IWF. Please read carefully before snapping

SMB

LOL.

I read carefully, you said you saw multiple shows on 360 in multiple cities and you talked about these songs. I don't know why you brought up I Will Follow in this context. I thought I was pretty clear in saying "save for Chicago 1" that I was talking about Pride.

I am well aware IWF has not been touched this tour.

I am a little confused. Are you trying to compare a few drunk people screaming for one song or the next, which you have everywhere, to how the entire stadium would have reacted had Pride been played in place of Magnificent?

What makes you think I snapped at you?

I just pointed out that no one booed or left because they were not playing Pride, and certainly no one turned their back on the NLOTH material. Unless you have some experiences to share from some of the shows you saw that I did not.......

I heard people shout "I Will Follow" at all the concerts I attended for some reason. I really think they should bring it back for some shows this time around. Not every night, as for Pride. Maybe switch them up

SMB

I heard people shout "I Will Follow" at all the concerts I attended for some reason. I really think they should bring it back for some shows this time around. Not every night, as for Pride. Maybe switch them up

SMB

I have no trouble believing this!

It is one of the U2 songs I have not seen live that I would absolutely love to see live.(I am not complaining, I've been lucky enough to see the First Time, The Ocean, Electric Co, UF, UV, YBR, Crumbs and Until the end of the world, but still)

Of course, they should bring it back. No excuse for not representing 1980-1983 slightly better than they have.

SMB

i was at Dallas and i didnt hear anyone booing or shouting over the new songs.

And if people left because u2 played a new song, well, fuck 'em.

SMB

I was at Foxboro 1 and 2 and NJ 1 and 2 and the crowds all four nights were great. NJ 1 was probably the 'lamest' of the four, but it was still a pretty good crowd overall. I didn't see or hear anybody booing new stuff.

The last encore needs to more upbeat. I don't think putting people to sleep with MOS is a good idea. End it with Vertigo or Elevation. That was probably one of the best things Muse did, they ended it with a sing-a-long but it was Knights of Cydonia and the place was moving. End the show on a high!

U2 have pretty much always closed on a more somber reflective moment...:shrug:

with the exception of "Walk On" during the Elevation Tour and "Bad" & "Vertigo" during Vertigo Tour. otherwise, yep, usually a slow tune.

with the exception of "Walk On" during the Elevation Tour and "Bad" & "Vertigo" during Vertigo Tour. otherwise, yep, usually a slow tune.

Yeah with the exception of the nights they did Vertigo x 2, even Walk On and Bad have a little somber feel to them. I always thought U2 shows were similar to U2 albums, they like to bring it back down and end on a bit of reflection...

after the 360 gig i saw, i later went to an ATM machine, saw my reflection, and then reflected....

to be fair, it got a pretty good revival on the Vertigo tour.

Certainly did and it got great receptions and a lot of the long time fans and casuals over 35 or 40 LOVED it.

Since this group is seemingly the most disaffected by 360, then maybe it would be good for U2 to play some of this material again. Not arguing for a Boy or October or War mini set or the entire albums, etc, just 1 or 2 tunes per night.

I made a thread about this and even extended it into UF. I really think they should give A Sort of Homecoming and Wire another shot.

here is my nice setlist, it will differents for every night............

Breathe
Beautiful Day
Every Breaking Wave
Elevation or Out Of Control or I Will Follow
If I Could Live My Life Again
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For or All I Want is You
You Can’t Give Your Heart Away
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / A Sort Of Homecoming
In A Little While or One
No Line On The Horizon
Angel of Harlem or Electric Co or An cat Dubh