Every Breaking Wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alive@33

The Fly
I just heard Every Breaking Wave and was surprised to not see a thread about it in Setlists and Songs.

It's so incredibly gorgeous, I thought it deserved one. U2 are clearly still at the peak of their powers, when you hear a song like this.

Usually it takes me a few listens to fully get into a U2 song and "get" it. But this one melted me first go - I hope it's still around, with full band, in Summer 2011.

Edit: Having heard it a 2nd and 3rd time, it feels like the most beautiful thing I've ever heard! You thank (whomever or whatever you thank) for music when you hear a song like this.

YouTube - U2 - Every Breaking Wave (new song) - Live Helsinki 2010-08-21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2awWa9IOUU

Last edited:
Good stuff. My favorite of the new songs they have been playing. :up: Excited to hear what they do with it full band. :hyper:

I like it a lot too. Although its not the soaring anthem that I thought Bono said it was. Its more in the realm of With Or Without You and Love is Blindness.

I hope it gets an official release.

Phenomenal song. Stunning lyrics. My initial reaction was actually ANGER that they kept this off on NLOTH. It so completely belonged there. It should be the track after FEZ-BB. Whats up with all these 11 song albums!??!?!

(esp. with the line 'talking to an answer phone' which conjures up Unknown Caller.)

its on repeat here for days now and i love it a lot, got into my heart and soul at once! and brought me to tears.

I think the full band version of EBW will be even better than this.

I think it is my favorite of all the new songs too. Although, I do enjoy Glastonbury and the other night, I listened to North Star while laying in the grass and looking up at the night sky, that was very beautiful.

Phenomenal song. Stunning lyrics. My initial reaction was actually ANGER that they kept this off on NLOTH. It so completely belonged there. It should be the track after FEZ-BB. Whats up with all these 11 song albums!??!?!

(esp. with the line 'talking to an answer phone' which conjures up Unknown Caller.)

I saw an article yesterday with an early tracklisting of where it was to be placed.

1 Magnificent (5:44)
2 Every Breaking Wave (4:13)
3 Moment Of Surrender (7:12)
4 Unknown Caller (6:06)
5 Crazy Tonight (4:16)
6 Get On Your Boots (3:25)
7 Stand Up (Comedy) (?:??)
8 Breathe (4:42)
9 Born (5:58)
10 No Line On The Horizon (4:11)
11 Cedars of Lebanon (?:??)

^ this was from a u2.com video/picture of the board...probably the one with Gavin. Going off of this, it looks like WAS replaced EBW.

Simply epic. Cannot wait to hear the full-band version.

Seriously, the very existence of this song should annihilate the "greatest hits tour/Rolling Stones" argument.

Have to say, normally this isn't the type of song I'm into, I like the louder faster driven songs, but this is a truly beautiful tune. The fact that we've only heard a 2 man unfinished acoustic version and it STILL sounds this good, bodes very well for this track IMO. Hopefully some more gems are on the way.

I like it quite a bit.

Just a word of warning, though. Or maybe not a warning really, just a statement. I'm afraid that a ton of people are going to fall in love with and become so familiar with this bare bones, stripped down, under-rehearsed live version of the song, and then when the studio version comes, and it is (potentially) quite a bit different sounding, people are going to be disappointed and upset.

I'll just never forget the huge uproar when In Rainbows came out: everybody had already fallen in love with Thom's solo piano performances of "Videotape." And then when the studio version hit, with that abrasive and choppy drumbeat at the end, people freaked out. Their familiarity with the live version of the song negatively colored their view of the final artistic statement.

Just saying that this could be a bit of both a blessing and a curse. Especially on an internet forum.

But, of course, if there are some bleeps and bloops and changes in the studio version (if one is ever released) of "Every Breaking Wave" and people are disappointed, you'll always have this Helsinki version.

Very encouraging indeed! Love the lyrics. Not so keen on the "heyyyyy" part (sounds cliched) but love the rest especially the opening and closing lines and the haunting guitar.

I like it quite a bit.

Just a word of warning, though. Or maybe not a warning really, just a statement. I'm afraid that a ton of people are going to fall in love with and become so familiar with this bare bones, stripped down, under-rehearsed version of the song, and then when the studio version comes, and it is (potentially) quite a bit different sounding, people are going to be disappointed and upset.

good call. i'm personally excited at the potential of it if they flesh it out properly, but i'm fully aware that it could be overworked as well and end up nothing like how i'm expecting.

A big part of why I often prefer slow songs is the fact that Bono is singing quite beautifully. His voice sounds amazing, not as high and strained as on many of the uptempo songs. I really think he has a great melodic voice and the EBW bootleg from Helsinki sounds amazing. Love it.

But, of course, if there are some bleeps and bloops and changes in the studio version (if one is ever released) of "Every Breaking Wave" and people are disappointed, you'll always have this Helsinki version.

thats why i like having two versions of winter and No Line on the Horizon. the song(s) become much more dynamic for me and its cool to see how strong a song is.

I like it quite a bit.

Just a word of warning, though. Or maybe not a warning really, just a statement. I'm afraid that a ton of people are going to fall in love with and become so familiar with this bare bones, stripped down, under-rehearsed live version of the song, and then when the studio version comes, and it is (potentially) quite a bit different sounding, people are going to be disappointed and upset.

I'll just never forget the huge uproar when In Rainbows came out: everybody had already fallen in love with Thom's solo piano performances of "Videotape." And then when the studio version hit, with that abrasive and choppy drumbeat at the end, people freaked out. Their familiarity with the live version of the song negatively colored their view of the final artistic statement.

Just saying that this could be a bit of both a blessing and a curse. Especially on an internet forum.

Ooh, good point. Personally, I think I'd prefer having a more upbeat version, especially if it's as intense and anthemic as the early descriptions suggested. This being Interference, however, we can safely assume a situation like the one described above will come to pass.

EDIT: Maybe they'll start playing the full-band version live to give us a chance to get used to it...

Wow ! You know the feeling when you hear new U2 material and you want to convince yourself of new classics ?
This one has it ! No doubt about it. For me it's The Edge's signature guitar sound.

I saw an article yesterday with an early tracklisting of where it was to be placed.

1 Magnificent (5:44)
2 Every Breaking Wave (4:13)
3 Moment Of Surrender (7:12)
4 Unknown Caller (6:06)
5 Crazy Tonight (4:16)
6 Get On Your Boots (3:25)
7 Stand Up (Comedy) (?:??)
8 Breathe (4:42)
9 Born (5:58)
10 No Line On The Horizon (4:11)
11 Cedars of Lebanon (?:??)

^ this was from a u2.com video/picture of the board...probably the one with Gavin. Going off of this, it looks like WAS replaced EBW.

This is the Gavin (Brian Eno) whiteboard I think you might be referring to:
090112gavboardsm.jpg

If so, that is not the same order, but perhaps it's just another picture then.
Also, the earliest (January 2008) statements was that the opener had the line "Six o' clock" which we found out was Being Born, so that report is probably a later tracklist then. Where did you find this information exactly? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom