Edge gives some hints on the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2's 360 Tour: Big Stage, Big Energy : Rolling Stone

This was from an article about the big acts touring this summer. Maybe U2 will change things up. If Larry stated of being bored back in 1989-90 with being the "U2 Jukebox" they have to be really tired of some of the warhorses (Bullet, Pride, One, etc) from the past 4 tours.

I would be shocked if we got only 5 songs from NLOTH. The band seems really proud of this record. NLOTH, Mag.., MOS, UC, Crazy, Boots, & Breathe will all be performed sometime this tour. Fez, Cedars, WAS, or SUC????

I really want MOS live :gah: This song has really grown on me becoming one of U2's best songs ever written.

U2's 360 Tour: Big Stage, Big Energy : Rolling Stone

This was from an article about the big acts touring this summer. Maybe U2 will change things up. If Larry stated of being bored back in 1989-90 with being the "U2 Jukebox" they have to be really tired of some of the warhorses (Bullet, Pride, One, etc) from the past 4 tours.

I would be shocked if we got only 5 songs from NLOTH. The band seems really proud of this record. NLOTH, Mag.., MOS, UC, Crazy, Boots, & Breathe will all be performed sometime this tour. Fez, Cedars, WAS, or SUC????

I really want MOS live :gah: This song has really grown on me becoming
one of U2's best songs ever written.

I think we will definitely get MOS live, Edge is currently (or was) working on it a while ago, and I dont think they could leave it out after all the praise it got on release, (the new "One" etc)

All this talk of dropping warhorses has me worried, is there any chance WTSHNN could be dropped? Im getting a horrible feeling they think Breathe can replace it live, IT CANT, NOTHING CAN! I mean Streets must have been played at every gig since 87, it would be a warhorse alright, but it works everytime!!!!

I see them only playing 5 new songs, MOS and UC are way to slow I think to play live, FEZ seems like it could be a challenge live but maybe they'll work it into the intro somehow, Snow/Cedars are doubtful, SUC - I love but everyone hates so I give it a question mark, so that leaves the top 5: Boots, Magnificent, Crazy, NLOTH and Breathe (all of which I think will rock stadiums). 1/2 the new album is pretty slow and I think would be tough to play 5 slow songs live and still keep the crowd energized. Just my opinion.

I see them only playing 5 new songs, MOS and UC are way to slow I think to play live, FEZ seems like it could be a challenge live but maybe they'll work it into the intro somehow, Snow/Cedars are doubtful, SUC - I love but everyone hates so I give it a question mark, so that leaves the top 5: Boots, Magnificent, Crazy, NLOTH and Breathe (all of which I think will rock stadiums). 1/2 the new album is pretty slow and I think would be tough to play 5 slow songs live and still keep the crowd energized. Just my opinion.

Don't think everyone hates SUC, I love it and think it will sound great live.

Bono already said Edge is working on MOS so I'm sure we will see that. They said they are only playing half the album. So everything theyve already played live...
I think SUC is a possibility because it would make a great live song, if it wasnt for the guitar riff i think that song would blow. the lyrics are shameful.
Hoping for No Line and UC...we'll see.

I think we will definitely get MOS live, Edge is currently (or was) working on it a while ago, and I dont think they could leave it out after all the praise it got on release, (the new "One" etc)

All this talk of dropping warhorses has me worried, is there any chance WTSHNN could be dropped? Im getting a horrible feeling they think Breathe can replace it live, IT CANT, NOTHING CAN! I mean Streets must have been played at every gig since 87, it would be a warhorse alright, but it works everytime!!!!

Didn't Bono want to drop Streets on the Vertigo tour? Its a possiblity COBL could become the new "Streets'? I don't want to see Streets go but what about this to close the main set:

Please
Breathe
Unkown Caller
City of Blinding Lights

I don't think COBL has the same effect as Streets! I have always thought they couldn't get COBL right live! Dunno if its just me but the slide riff at the start sounds v empty to me, in comparison to Streets were bass drums and guitar are constantly full of energy!

NOOOOOOOOOOO, cant believe Bono was talking about dropping Streets!!! (glad it didnt happen) but I supose it makes it more likely that it will be dropped on this tour :sad:

nice outro setlist , Id prefere something like this tho............

Discotheque
Fez / Being Born
Acrobat
Breathe

I don't think COBL has the same effect as Streets! I have always thought they couldn't get COBL right live! Dunno if its just me but the slide riff at the start sounds v empty to me, in comparison to Streets were bass drums and guitar are constantly full of energy!

Me too. I like COBL, but that beginning always seemed tepid to me. Guess they were holding back some of the juice for the choruses.

I imagine MOS will take the Very Meaningful slot inhabited by SYCMIOYO last tour. And if they figure out how to do it right, they'll play it every goddamn night.

I imagine MOS will take the Very Meaningful slot inhabited by SYCMIOYO last tour. And if they figure out how to do it right, they'll play it every goddamn night.

this could be one of the highlights of the tour.

:hmm: Maybe:

Please
Breathe
Unkown Caller
City of Blinding Lights
Streets

^^Stadiums would explode!!

"One" during Popmart felt right. That was the last time it felt right and I hope MOS closes out shows or is the 2nd to last song of the night.

I wouldn't mind if Streets AND COBL were both dropped in place of something new....Drop One and Pride also, for that matter...Dip into the catalogue and change it up, for God's sake

Your 1 for 4, COBL will most likely not be played. The others are a lock. Guaranteed.

Listened to the ZooTV Sydney show recently and was reminded how good One can be. They played it early, got right to it without a big lead-up or speech, and it still resonated in that way that it does on AB.

I think there is a certain exhaustion that sets in when you just know that a song like One is going to be nearly ten minutes before it's all over and is kind of being forced into a cathartic moment for an entire stadium. I think One is too good to be implemented as a workhorse. If that makes sense.

I think a lot of frustration also comes from the fact that (for the last several tours) when you hear a particular song starting you can say, "oh, here's THIS song, only two songs left," or "they're playing this, so the show's almost over." I just wish they would vary the setlists a little more...Here's a three-song combination: Fez, I Threw A Brick, Breathe......Waddya think??? I know, I'm dreaming out loud again :sexywink:

I think a lot of frustration also comes from the fact that (for the last several tours) when you hear a particular song starting you can say, "oh, here's THIS song, only two songs left," or "they're playing this, so the show's almost over."

Agreed. Even if you attend numerous shows, you should never be able to "predict" the setlist when you take your friends to a U2 gig, as I was able to do back in 2005.

Kinda fun and makes you feel like a superfan, but it does get boring...

Even if you attend numerous shows, you should never be able to "predict" the setlist when you take your friends to a U2 gig, as I was able to do back in 2005.
well, it's been like that the last 30 odd years
and it's not like U2 is the only act who work like that either
so it seems fair to expect the same for the next tour

well, it's been like that the last 30 odd years
and it's not like U2 is the only act who work like that either
so it seems fair to expect the same for the next tour

Yes and no. I understand the logistical challenges that arise when you're dealing with complicated lights/visuals for each individual song prevent much "on the fly" variation...

BUT

As I remember from one of the Boston shows I saw back in '05, the band cued up Fast Cars during a third encore and played along to a "default" lighting sequence that just lasted the length of the song. What's to say the band can't plan out the vast majority of the show with all those fancy transitions from song to song but leave 4-5 slots spread around the setlist with basic lighting effects that allow them to do whatever they want?

I suppose that is sorta what they do, but all the technicians seem to know what the new songs are going to be before each concert. But when you're dealing with a band of any sort it only seems fair that they should be able to use their musical talent to pull things together on the fly.

Hardly a complaint. I've been dreaming about these shows for months, but it never hurts to have a dialogue about the way things are vs. the way we want them.

I think a lot of frustration also comes from the fact that (for the last several tours) when you hear a particular song starting you can say, "oh, here's THIS song, only two songs left," or "they're playing this, so the show's almost over." I just wish they would vary the setlists a little more...Here's a three-song combination: Fez, I Threw A Brick, Breathe......Waddya think??? I know, I'm dreaming out loud again :sexywink:

AMEN!!! that's why I don't wanna hear / read any setlistr before Amsterdam.
I just love the element of surprise :)

Why do some want streets gone?? For me this song is the real crowd mover and as its my 1st U2 concert in croker, i really need to hear this life. it is an epic song!!

Let's be realistic: If U2 were to EVER drop the following songs, casual fans would be, and rightly so, demanding their money back:

Streets
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You
One
possibly even New Years Day

And to be honest I'd be pissed too. I don't care if I see Streets 1000 times live, it MUST BE PLAYED. EVERY TIME.

So we should stop rambling on about what can't possibly happen and focus on being realistic about the 4-8 maximum 'slots' that they could be flexible on.

Back
Top Bottom