Edge gives some hints on the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With U2 having sold out shows in the US & Europe already, I think they can get away with playing more rarities. And U2 rarities are different from other bands because they'll rehearse those songs to a tee and make them work live. And for the most parts these songs (ZooTV, Popmart) have already been showcased live in the huge venues. Hell, Bono had stadiums in South American singing "First Time" with him.

U2 gave us a hint last tour, but continue doing your own thing and don't be another Rolling Stones playing the tired warhorses. Pride, One, SBS, & Bullet need a break.

And U2 will have to play:
NLOTH, Magneficent, MOS, UC, Crazy, Boots, & Breathe everynight.

Maybe by playing half of NLOTH he meant half of the album a night, so as to leave room in the setlist for other songs. I'm hoping he means that

while i'm positive that we will not see a setlist full of rarities, it is nice to know that the band has early intentions of mixing things up.

I reckon Pride will probably stay in the setlists because of the references to Obama that I can imagine them making with it

:hyper: That is very, very, happy news :applaud:
There's a huge list we could gather up.. Can't WAIT to find out, but
I have no doubt whatever they decide to do will give me chills.
I'm counting the days til I see them in September.:drool:

I think this is needed

OUT!

Elevation - kinda fun but imo a bit boring and defo overplayed
now,

One - Amazing song but again way overplayed!

SYCMIOYO - Great song again but doesent work well live imo.

City Of Blinding Lights, - I always thought they couldnt get this
tune to sound as good as it should live

With Or Without You - One of the best songs ever written but
recent versions have been bad and boring.
it needs a revamp or else it gotta go.

Miracle Drug - a slow tune that I think kills the mood of the
gig, great song but should be replaced by
something more upbeat, which could easily
be done,

New Years Day - One of my fav songs, I dunno if I seen a bad version, but I was dissapointed by it live
kinda boring and slow, not enough guitar these days!

Keepers!

Vertigo - I still have mixed feelings about the song, but live it
really adds to the show.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - A tierd classic, but never fails to get a
big reaction from crowds,

Streets - How could it get tierd prolly the best moment during
U2 gigs,

Pride - Great live song, really suprised by how good it is live, great sing a long quility too, "oh oh o oh!"

Beautiful Day - Gotta stay for younger fans, V enjoyable live imo too, V upbeat

Love & Peace or Else - My fav live moment from Bomb, great performance too,

BRING BACK!

A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgetable Fire!!!!!!! :drool:

(sneaky suspicion Drowning Man will be played on this tour, Adam said it was his fav U2 tune, he said this in 1987 and again on the
NLOTH promo shows,)

Exit
One Tree Hill
Mothers Of The Dissapeard
Heartland!!!! :faint:
Evan Better Than The Real Thing
ULTRAVIOLET!!!!!
ACROBAT!!!!!
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Discotheque
Walk On

Great interview from Edge, has added to my excitement for the tour :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:, good to hear there mixing the set list up!!!

Eh? Is this for real? Sounds like an April Fools' joke.

I mean, if the band is considering this, think of the possibilites. Shit. Probably has to do with Edge doing the JT remaster when he thought of Luminous Times of all songs.

Top 5 never played that bloody well should be:

1. Acrobat
2. Your Blue Room
3. Heartland
4. Slug
5. Lady With the Spinning Head/Drowning Man

Top 5 rarely played that should make a comeback:

1. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
2. Love is Blindness
3. Dirty Day
4. Lemon
5. Exit/Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

I think half of the new one sounds about right. And get rid of Pride, I Still Haven't Found, I Will Follow and Elevation, please. If nothing else, it would be great if they would do two really different setlists for the two nights in the same city. This would for sure open some room for these songs Edge is talking about.

does anyone think here that the setlist could be a little longer with fewer shows planned?

I think this is needed

OUT!

Elevation - kinda fun but imo a bit boring and defo overplayed
now,

One - Amazing song but again way overplayed!

SYCMIOYO - Great song again but doesent work well live imo.

City Of Blinding Lights, - I always thought they couldnt get this
tune to sound as good as it should live

With Or Without You - One of the best songs ever written but
recent versions have been bad and boring.
it needs a revamp or else it gotta go.

Miracle Drug - a slow tune that I think kills the mood of the
gig, great song but should be replaced by
something more upbeat, which could easily
be done,

New Years Day - One of my fav songs, I dunno if I seen a bad version, but I was dissapointed by it live
kinda boring and slow, not enough guitar these days!

Keepers!

Vertigo - I still have mixed feelings about the song, but live it
really adds to the show.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - A tierd classic, but never fails to get a
big reaction from crowds,

Streets - How could it get tierd prolly the best moment during
U2 gigs,

Pride - Great live song, really suprised by how good it is live, great sing a long quility too, "oh oh o oh!"

Beautiful Day - Gotta stay for younger fans, V enjoyable live imo too, V upbeat

Love & Peace or Else - My fav live moment from Bomb, great performance too,

BRING BACK!

A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgetable Fire!!!!!!! :drool:

(sneaky suspicion Drowning Man will be played on this tour, Adam said it was his fav U2 tune, he said this in 1987 and again on the
NLOTH promo shows,)

Exit
One Tree Hill
Mothers Of The Dissapeard
Heartland!!!! :faint:
Evan Better Than The Real Thing
ULTRAVIOLET!!!!!
ACROBAT!!!!!
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Discotheque
Walk On

Great interview from Edge, has added to my excitement for the tour :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:, good to hear there mixing the set list up!!!

Edge on Lead - why not Seconds? If they play half of your bring back list, I will officially lose it, especially Mofo and Exit!! Just play ACROBAT and we'll all die happy!! And if they even think about UF stuff, I will just float out of the stadium!! After the last tour, I think they can play anything, I would have bet a gazillion $'s they would have never played An Cat Dubh and they did + The Ocean, cmon!!!!! :)))

I don't trust him

I hope they play UltraViolet...BUT EDGE HATES PLAYING THAT SONG!

If any Edge lead songs are played it'll be VDL after the O2 opening.

It sounded great with both of them singing, and maybe B will sing backup like on Seconds.

How great would it be if U2 played the WOWY trilogy. I remember reading something where B was asked what WOWY was about and he said "it doesn't make sense without the other 2 songs on the single. It's all one story"

So WOWY>WTTW>LT would be sweet

Edge: 'luminous times' would be 'fun'

EDGE: 'LUMINOUS TIMES' WOULD BE 'FUN'
May 14, 2009
posted by: m2

Please sit down before reading. Kthx. By now, it's possibly the No. 1 question on every U2 fan's mind: What songs will U2 play on tour this year? Edge shares some possible answers in the new issue of Rolling Stone (with Green Day on the cover). Here's a snippet shared with us by @U2 Forum member, "The Exile."

RS: "What will the set lists be like?"

Edge: "We're talking about resurrecting songs we haven't played in a long time. I have a list of every U2 song -- some I can't remember anymore -- even some of the B-sides that we've never played live. We were thinking how much fun it would be to play something like 'Luminous Times.' Certain songs from the last couple of tours, we may not play again. We want to find songs that feel fresh and valid."

RS: "How are the new songs shaping up live?"

Edge: "We'll play about half the album, and having played some in TV appearances, we know these songs translate well live. There's a few that will be up there with our best-ever live songs. Some of them we really have to rework -- 'Crazy Tonight' was a very keyboard oriented song on the album, but I took it to the guitar live, and it sounds great...."

Edge also says he "wouldn't rule out" singing lead on a song, and when Rolling Stone suggests "Numb," Edge promises to add it to the list of possibilities. Use the link to talk about all this in our forum.

Not sure how Luminous Times would sound live, but it's exciting to hear they are looking at songs they haven't played in a while. Maybe we could hear more from TUF, Zooropa and Pop. I'd like to hear songs like The Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Lemon, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, just to name a few.

I could live just fine without ever hearing Luminous Times performed live.

But I'm happy to hear they're thinking about stuff like that.

i would love "deep in the heart" to be played live.

all 100 people who know it in the stadium would rejoice.

hey..."rejoice"- now that would be a good song. but i'm reaching obviously.

i think these songs would be practical underrated tracks to play live:

"seconds"
"a day without me"
"wire"
"red hill mining town"
"three sunrises"
"daddy's gonna pay"
"lemon"
"acrobat" - for the love of God they need to play this
"wake up dead man"

yo dude i totally feel that shit. I can just see it now BA NA NA NANANANAN BA NA NA. I CANT STOP THE DANCE, BABY, MAYBE, THIS IS MY LAST CHANCE

i would like to hear the following songs that have not been played according to me:

- when i look at the world
- electrical storm
- acrobat
- your blue room
- the wanderer (ok the johnny cash thing doesn't k, mmk guys?!)

i cant think of any other non-played song that id like to hear (aside from nloth material...) over what we've already heard. plz give me hold me thrill me kiss me kill me. plz give me some more vertigo. please give me a little streets, perhaps some even better, maybe even some motha f'in MOFO (See what I did there guys?). That 360, thats what up.

hmmmm, Lady With The Spinning Head....bside...... :drool:

bye bye Pride, doing so would save us 20 minutes in the set for 4 other songs....no more 15 minute Bono banter that we all heard and know all about.

bring UV and Exit too :wink:

Rejoice
Twilight
Mofo
Acrobat
Trying to throw...
Love is Blindness
Zooropa
The Wanderer
Heartland
Exit
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Drowning Man

:drool::drool::drool:

This is great to hear for no other reason than it seems they are really doing their own thing this time around - with the album, with the tour, etc. They aren't pandering to the masses, but it seems like they are doing what THEY want to do. And as well all know, U2 are at their best when they are doing their own thing...

Cant wait sounds great.

Please Drop:

I Will Follow
Bullet The Blue Sky
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
All Because Of You
Out Of Control
ISHFWILF
The Fly(Unless it's the Zoo Tv Version)

Please Add:

Lemon
Numb
Acrobat
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun(Full Band Version)
Surrender
A Sort of Homecoming
Lady With A Spinning Head
Salome
Grace
God Pt.II
Zooropa
Kite
Dirty Day

Please Keep:

SYCMIOYO
Original of the Species
City of Blinding Lights

Cant wait sounds great.

Please Drop:

I Will Follow
Bullet The Blue Sky
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
All Because Of You
Out Of Control
ISHFWILF
The Fly(Unless it's the Zoo Tv Version)

Please Add:

Lemon
Numb
Acrobat
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun(Full Band Version)
Surrender
A Sort of Homecoming
Lady With A Spinning Head
Salome
Grace
God Pt.II
Zooropa
Kite
Dirty Day

Please Keep:

SYCMIOYO
Original of the Species
City of Blinding Lights

:( I guess Im one of 6 people that hasn't heard NYD live the few times I've seen them. I really want to hear that

But I 1000% agree with A sort of homecoming, discotheqe and staring at the sun (either version)

Back
Top Bottom