Dublin 3, July 27th Setlist Party/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyone know if we got an edge solo during wowy before shine like stars?

that would be :shocked::drool:

just heard it on youtube and unforunately no great Edge solo. At least they are half way there..hopefully they can do it correctly moving forward with the Edge solo. Just lazy not to have it.

Pretty disappointing setlist... :crack:

Yeah, really. I figured they were saving some surprises for any show on this leg, it would've been tonight's. In fact, had you shown me the last three set lists without a city on them, I never would've guessed they were Dublin sets. Of course the set list doesn't say anything about the energy of the crowd, but something completely standard is still a letdown.

Honestly, any other band in history ever been able to string together as solid an end to a main set. I fully understand why they are only subbing in and out a handfull of songs. The set is too good, and U2 have always been about giving the best, most solid show possible, rather than the most shocking show re setlists. Honestly, point to a run in a set by any band that is as high quality as

Sunday Bloody Sunday > Pride > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad

Finally, ONE is back to the spot where it's supposed to be. The segue there is amazing, one of the greatest that U2 have ever done. One just didn't feel right in the first half of the set. If I were the band, I wouldn't stir up things in that part of the show as well. Good to see NYD return :up: And Stay :love:
Would have hoped for Electrical Storm, hope they didn't drop that one for good. I think this has to be the most balanced set yet.

I'm all up for One being in the first half of the show. Gives it a fresher side, it doesn't drag as it does when ending the main set. Plus Bono talks less.

The set is a bit disappointing for a third night, especially after that soundcheck, but Axver already called it "one of the most disappointing third nights", which I beg to differ. New Year's Day, Stay and Bad are in there, plus Shine Like Stars is always welcome. The Tokyo III setlist in 2006 was much, much worse. Know what was the surprise for that set? Out of Control (which is good) and... Vertigo II! :drool:

The segue SBS to Bad is one of the best U2 have ever done.
One belongs in there, thematically. Sounds out of place in the first half of the show.
And I'm finding Bono's speeches before One really decent these days.

The segue SBS to Bad is one of the best U2 have ever done.
One belongs in there, thematically. Sounds out of place in the first half of the show.

Yep, heard (read?) you the first time. And I disagree.

Getting a bit of Ministry of Truth vibe here...

Honestly, any other band in history ever been able to string together as solid an end to a main set. I fully understand why they are only subbing in and out a handfull of songs. The set is too good, and U2 have always been about giving the best, most solid show possible, rather than the most shocking show re setlists. Honestly, point to a run in a set by any band that is as high quality as

Sunday Bloody Sunday > Pride > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad

i'd be delighted if they dropped Pride, actually. talking about warhorses, that's pretty much the biggest warhorse since Troy. and it's not even that good to begin with.

Crazy Tonight Remix (yes, this fits in with the great stretch... especially the transition into) > Sunday Bloody Sunday > Please > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad would be better, IMO.

What a shocking statement from someone who has pretty much gone into every setlist party thread and said the same thing.

You know, I just couldn't resist taking a look at theU2fly's posts, and not only is he not "saying the same thing", he posted only one other time at a setlist party since the tour started.

Chill.

i'd be delighted if they dropped Pride, actually. talking about warhorses, that's pretty much the biggest warhorse since Troy. and it's not even that good to begin with.

Crazy Tonight Remix (yes, this fits in with the great stretch... especially the transition into) > Sunday Bloody Sunday > Please > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad would be better, IMO.

I 100% agree with you talking as a U2 fan. As a music fan though, I am just saying, taking the history of how many times they've been played etc, that is a pretty amazing run of songs for a set

That's right! :doh:

They did all 3 songs when they came back in 2004...but at the Boston Garden.
The big word on the street was that they weren't allowed back at Tweeter Center which wasn't true since they played there last summer 2 nights.

the magic of unpredictable setlists of Pearl Jam. Cant wait to see them this summer!

I'd love to hear Please, but Bono said they don't want to play it again.

As for Pride, I don't mind it as much as I expected. In fact, I think they're playing a pretty good version right now. And it fits the theme of the second half of the show. Also, it was clear, that with Obama and all, they don't let go of this song.

However, I wouldn't mind if they rotated some of this stuff a little more.

Pride was one of the highlights of the Friday show. Trust me, 80,000 people singing the end of that was spine-chillingly amazing. They should keep it.

On paper, the "warhorse" section (SBS, Pride, Walk On, Streets, One) looks great but in person it is fucking exhausting. I lose energy in Pride and Walk On every time which gives me internal crises.

Still, I'm glad I have £600 in my pocket rather than chancing the third show.

How is Walk On a warhorse? It's only been played consistently during the Elevation tour and now 360. It's a very good song, IMHO, and look forward to experiencing it live for the first time.

Nevermind, I see that you mentioned it being placed in the "warhorse section". Even still, it's been sounding pretty good...

James

I personally don't think these Walk On performances hold a candle to the Elevation performances... maybe I just miss the Hallelujah ending.

I personally don't think these Walk On performances hold a candle to the Elevation performances... maybe I just miss the Hallelujah ending.

absolutely...........especially following the 9-11 tragedy. that song had so much emotion packed into it during those days.

Pride was one of the highlights of the Friday show. Trust me, 80,000 people singing the end of that was spine-chillingly amazing. They should keep it.

agreed- same applies to ISHFWILF, Elevation, Vertigo, SBS and Beautiful Day- the reaction they get each time is incredible- and that's why they keep playing them. And in the case of Pride we get MLK as well

whereas the far less well known UF & Ultraviolet get less reaction.

as for Drowning Man- mmm ok song I guess- and it got a good reaction from those in the GC queue that heard it during the sound check, but it's an obscure album track from from 26 years ago, so I don't see it really working in a stadium show- same applies to Electrical Storm- I love the song but not sure it would play well in that type of show

How is Walk On a warhorse? It's only been played consistently during the Elevation tour and now 360. It's a very good song, IMHO, and look forward to experiencing it live for the first time.

Nevermind, I see that you mentioned it being placed in the "warhorse section". Even still, it's been sounding pretty good...

James

I like Walk On, I just don't like it in that setlist position. Maybe after WOWY and before MoS would be better.

Absolutely LOVED the setlist, was everything I'd been hoping for. the only icing on the cake which I missed would have been Mysterious Ways during the encore.

Epic night.

I will say it again.. I loved hearing the "shine like stars" verse to WOWY that really surprised the hell out of me.. I think I actually yelped when I heard it and then thought did I really hear that? :love:

Back
Top Bottom