Dont expect anymore changes to the setlist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they were actually using it for 360, I'd like to see it replace I Will Follow. EBTTRT > The Fly would be a great start to the show. Heck they could still go fly > IWF and just bump off a song later...my vote is Pride.

It'll be at Glastonbury for sure!

EBTTRT > The Fly would be the greatest thing ever.

If not, I think they should start replacing it with HMTMKMKM, which is actually what I think will happen at Anaheim II. They will probably rotate songs out that night, HMTM will be one of them most likely, and they'll probably wanna give The Fly a runthrough right before Glasto.

Still, I've always thought that the Fly could work very well in either Mysterious Ways' slot or Until The End Of The World's slot.

If it is played at all though.... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

okay :ohmy: EBTTRT+The Fly+Mysterious Ways

BANG. Open with those three, keep Zooropa in the set and you've got the best night of the tour. (plus me foaming at the mouth on the floor, trampled by dozens of jumping people around me.)

but i agree with what you say about them giving the fly a go at a gig or two prior to glastonbury. they wouldn't need to in terms of getting back into playing it but it would be mad not to as well since it's such a great track live, and judging by the response to it being soundchecked, people want it back!! and with good reason.

wouldn't be surprised if it came back very early in the set or, like you said, in a HMTMKMKM sort of slot. worked well on vertigo.

The only thing with the HMTMKMKM spot is that if this is the Vertigo version, Bono is playing guitar. But I don't think it should go there anyway, because everyone is screaming for more rockers in part because they suit the Claw, or that the Claw needs more of them to flex its muscles a bit more/more often. So bang it down there earlier and give it it's own show, not the wheel mic.

okay :ohmy: EBTTRT+The Fly+Mysterious Ways

BANG. Open with those three, keep Zooropa in the set and you've got the best night of the tour.

Or....

open Glastonbury with the full-on ZooTV opening explosion:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Until The End of the World

Then finish it off with whatever they want, even In A Little While, the crowd would all be unconscious from the sheer awesomeness of the first five songs.

haha yeah Zoo TV had the best opening gambit of any tour I think. remove One like you've done and it'd be a hell of an opener (despite not having that kind of important slower, less rocky track breaking it up - but hey it's One, screw it)
it'd probably never happen but jesus christ it'd leave plenty of mouths open. almost makes you WANT them to treat glasto as an advert for the achtung baby remaster in front of a field with a majority of less-than-hardcore fans :wink:

haha yeah Zoo TV had the best opening gambit of any tour I think. remove One like you've done and it'd be a hell of an opener (despite not having that kind of important slower, less rocky track breaking it up - but hey it's One, screw it)
it'd probably never happen but jesus christ it'd leave plenty of mouths open. almost makes you WANT them to treat glasto as an advert for the achtung baby remaster in front of a field with a majority of less-than-hardcore fans :wink:

Well, personally, I think the 90's were their best years. I think if they did a "greatest hits" set that was actually really 90's heavy, it would put all the haters and less-than-hardcore fans in their place.

Cause that way you'd have all these awesome 90's rockin' songs to shut the haters up, plus you'd have all the crowd pleasers like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc. Then you'd have Streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow and With or Without You and (hopefully) Bad to show everyone that this is one of the greatest bands ever and that they are still in the game.

couldn't agree more, as long as there's plenty of 90s tracks in there it'll be a fine set. 80's U2 will always be incredible and no doubt they've got so many songs from then that still sound stunning live, but even then I always felt they were at their absolute peak in the 90s! which is why i'm praying zooropa makes the set :lol:

couldn't agree more, as long as there's plenty of 90s tracks in there it'll be a fine set. always felt they were at their absolute peak then. which is why i'm praying zooropa makes the set :lol:

I'm certain it's going to stick around for the rest of the 360 tour. Hopefully it'll get to Glastonbury as well!

yeah it's going nowhere for the regular 360 gigs I'm sure you're right, the reaction's been great with fans (especially on here, that kind of thing must get back to them somehow) and they clearly love playing it and the spectacle that goes with it. :drool:

I think they should try and build a setlist running order with more of a strong/distinct rollercoaster of drama and mood than 360 has. That is where ZooTV should be used as a blueprint - 'the ride' through it's very distinct phases is as equally important to everyones love of that tour as the songs and 'show'. There is a real drama to the flow of it, well beyond the characters and whatnot. So less about a balanced running order - which is what they seemingly focus on these days - more about drama. It would be impossible, for a number of reasons, to do it anywhere near as well as ZooTV, but if they build even a Greatest Hits setlist the right way, with all the right theatrical extras only as enhancement, they can make it something much more than just a 'Greatest Hits Set'. The latter would still be unbelievable beyond words, but the former would tip it over into something people talk about for a long, long time. An unassailable, all-time, singular Glastonbury highlight.

And not so much a leaning on this decade or that decade, but more a good showing off of diversity. The reason you want them to go heavy on the 90s is to snap people away from a belief that they are just 80s/00s chimey stadium anthems and poppy singles, but there's more to each decade than that anyway. Not all of the 90s stuff is wild and nutty rock, not all of the 80s is chimey stadium anthems. Better than a run of Achtung songs to open as a perception changer, would be giving a full range - from acoustic sweet Stay, heavy-as-fuck Bullet the Blue Sky, bold brassy Angel of Harlem, mad as hell Mofo (and on and on and on.)

They'll never do any of that, but IMO, that's how to really really kill it.

Do you guys live here (Miami) or are u flying here? :)

Flying, staying until July 5th. Got some family in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Or....

open Glastonbury with the full-on ZooTV opening explosion:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Until The End of the World

Then finish it off with whatever they want, even In A Little While, the crowd would all be unconscious from the sheer awesomeness of the first five songs.

ZooTV had the best opening explosion EVER, even with One. My god, that was just mindblowing. Now I feel like watching "Live from Sydney" :wink:

As always, Earnie Shavers has some great, great insight into everything!!

I think the general format followed on Zoo TV and on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour would be a good blueprint for Glastonbury. Obviously, not the exact same songs and not leaning on the current album like then, but in terms of how to represent the back catalog, the running order, etc

Those first, emotional shows after 9/11 in America often featured a beautiful acoustic version of Please followed by a barrell down anthem alley to end the main set: Bad/40, Streets, Still Haven't Found, Pride.

Something like this would go down REALLY well, I think:

1.)Even Better Than The Real Thing
2.)I Will Follow
3.)Elevation
4.)Beautiful Day
5.)Until The End of The World
6.)New Year's Day
7.)All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me(snippet)
8.)Angel of Harlem
9.)Desire
10.)Stay (acoustic)
11.)Bad
12.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
13.)Bullet The Blue Sky
14.)Running To Standstill
15.)Where The Streets Have No Name
16.)Pride
17.)Still Haven't Found
-----------------------------------------------------
18.)Gloria
19.)Magnificent
20.)Mysterious Ways
-----------------------------------------------------
21.)The Fly
22.)Glastonbury
23.)City of Blinding Lights
24.)One
25.)40

At the Seattle soundcheck, Bono was clearly playing guitar. So I don't think it would work with the production in the Batman slot.

I still stand by my Even Better > Fly statement. Bang of a start. Probably even better than the one-two punch of Zoo Station > Fly of ZooTV...and I *love* Zoo Station.

Right after the fly soundcheck in Seattle, somebody (I think Joe) did ask Edge if they were going to do it tonight. Edge said probably not tonight. So not sure if that means they're considered it at all for 360...or just glastonbury.

I guess that didn't really help.

My "guess" would be that they are definately planning to use it for Glastonbury but are debating whether to play it on 360. Maybe one of the Anaheim shows if it happens. If they soundcheck The Fly several times again tonight it may turn up tonight.

At the Seattle soundcheck, Bono was clearly playing guitar. So I don't think it would work with the production in the Batman slot.

I still stand by my Even Better > Fly statement. Bang of a start. Probably even better than the one-two punch of Zoo Station > Fly of ZooTV...and I *love* Zoo Station.

Good point. That makes me very happy because I adore HMTMKMKM. I would :combust: at that open. My fingers and toes are crossed for Anaheim. I really feel that Anaheim 2 will be a sort of dress rehearsal for Glasto.

Works for me, as long as Beautiful Day is not opening the show I'm happy! ;)

I was reading the Seattle Times review of the show, and they were all "gee, you know, what with the gorgeous weather and the first real summer day in Seattle, why didn't they open with Beautiful Day???"

:lol: x 1,000,000

They DEFINITELY need to play something amazing for Glastonbury. I mean really - those people have been waiting for a year and a half! And then Bono hurt his back! And they couldn't see U2! Granted, most of them don't really give a shit, because they're not even all there to see U2 like we.... are...

Oh... just wait.

Only Glastonbury deserves something special? How about stadiums FULL of all of YOUR FANS and ONLY YOUR FANS, U2? We also waited to see you for almost 2 years. Sucks that Glasto didn't go, but please throw us a bone post Glasto... and play at least a couple shows between June 26-July 30 with some different songs, not just Montreal 2. (Which, thank the LORD I am going to!)

Why do people want the setlist changing when they are mostly only playing one date in a city? sure if they are playing 2 days then swap some songs, but to moan because they arent swapping them from City to City is just odd,

and has it all of a sudden gone from "wow i dont mind if they keep this setlist because its fucking awsome" back to the usual moaning? because if it has that really didnt last long.

Why do people want the setlist changing when they are mostly only playing one date in a city? sure if they are playing 2 days then swap some songs, but to moan because they arent swapping them from City to City is just odd,

and has it all of a sudden gone from "wow i dont mind if they keep this setlist because its fucking awsome" back to the usual moaning? because if it has that really didnt last long.

Where have you seen people bitching? Most people have been saying the setlist is really good right now. The "talk" has been because they have been soundchecking The Fly, and about what they will do at Glastonbury. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Supposedly Dallas Schoo said there would be a surprise in Oakland. So that caused some speculation. Still, how is that bitching?? :shrug:

KUEFC09U2 said:

What forum are you reading?

Back
Top Bottom