Could U2 possibly be a bit more varied in how they pick songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gvox,

Let's hear you summarize my point of view. Surely, you can give a timely, accurate rendition of my take if you have the gaul to label it illegitimate and call me "stubborn beyond reason and logic".

If you haven't been paying attention folks, this is where ZooMac goes fishing. He baits. Then waits. Now if you take the bait and try and answer ZooMac will condescend you and reword his original stance in a way to attempt to make you look stupid(but in actuality anyone who can read can just go back through his post and see right there in black and white his stance, but I think he forgets about that).

If you don't take the bait he becomes a frustrated troll and tries again and again until he finally leaves until the next day.

Let's watch to see how it all plays out...

First post on this website but I enjoyed reading this thread. I'm more of the casual fan everyone is referring too. I started to like U2 around the time Beautiful Day came out and have been hooked since. I've been to see U2 once but try to download as many live shows as I can. I've already got tickets for the Charlottesville show in October. Personally when I go I wanna hear songs I've heard before and most of the hits. I wouldn't mind to hear one or two obscure songs, but too many of them and I wouldn't care for it. I go to sing along to songs, since I don't know all their songs by heart then I like them playing the big songs. Just my 2 cents :wave:

First post on this website but I enjoyed reading this thread. I'm more of the casual fan everyone is referring too. I started to like U2 around the time Beautiful Day came out and have been hooked since. I've been to see U2 once but try to download as many live shows as I can. I've already got tickets for the Charlottesville show in October. Personally when I go I wanna hear songs I've heard before and most of the hits. I wouldn't mind to hear one or two obscure songs, but too many of them and I wouldn't care for it. I go to sing along to songs, since I don't know all their songs by heart then I like them playing the big songs. Just my 2 cents :wave:

Great post and I think you're outlook is that of the majority--maybe even among hardcore fans. Setlist rotation doesn't matter when you see only 1 or 2 shows anyway (unless you're rabidly following each show online of course).

See you in Charlottesville (my hometown)!

Womanfish
Acrobat
Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
White as Snow
Walk to the Water
Scarlet (*featuring The Edge as Lead Vocalist On The Cringeworthy Headset)
Womanfish Remix
A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel
Streets OR WOWY
Don't Take Your Guns To Town OR Drunken Chicken (because these two are the musical cousins of one another!)
Summer Rain
Levitate
Always
Pride OR Sunday Bloody Sunday

- Larry reads Wild Irish Rose (with a straight face) -

Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Your Blue Room
Luminous Times
Magnificent OR Breate OR Moment of Surrender OR Crazy Tonight
Elvis Presley and America
Shadows and Tall Trees
A Man And A Woman
Cedars of Lebanon

- Adam recites 10 minute story of how he was the first manager of the band -

One
Pez: Being Boring
Is That All?

- Band does 2 rounds of Patron with the first row of the inner circle -

Bad OR Unforgettable Fire (no, you can't get two songs off the same amazing album, are you nuts?)
Miami
Womanfish (just in case noone understood it the first two times)

Discuss! :hyper:

That is one gorgeous set list. :drool:

hey thanks for stopping in. It was a bit sarcastic and all, but I think you understood what I'm trying to say. I'm about as hardcore and nuts about U2 as the next guy or gal, and have had the opportunity to see a great many shows in the last 8 years...but if I'd be lying if I said I can't wait to see these classics again come September! :up:

:up:Me too...sure there are one or two songs I wish they would replace..but you know when your there live..you forget and your in the moment and you really don't care what the heck they play..you just really get into it...well I do anyways :applaud:

Welcome:wave: by the way :)

Oh I think I have reached 2000 posts..lol yay me!!! :happydance:

this thread is a lame attempt to "mock" those who have legitimate gripes about U2's static setlist habit.

Wow, belittling and entirely misrepresenting the legitimate concerns of some...

----------

It's not legitimate, you're just stubborn beyond reason and logic.

----------
(Mid-thread drama)
----------

hey thanks for stopping in. It was a bit sarcastic and all

lol...

1.) I'd love for them to play Springsteen type setlists -- but that isn't U2 or most bands. He's one of a kind.

2.) U2 shows are more like big broadway shows. They can have fun in the songs and mix it up -- but having a giant stage and crew to make it all go doesn't seem to allow them to mix it up as much as other smaller bands. I'm sure song some require a lot of change up that isn't easy to pull off.

3.) Probably some songs they can't play live. Period.

4.) The variation is supposed to come in the songs from the new album. So technically those 6 to 7 songs are the songs you never heard live before.

5.) We make 1000 of these threads. It's great to talk about. But nothing we say on them will change the real world. I doubt Larry Mullen will read this and go "fuck, gvox and mikal are right -- let's mix this shit up more."

6.) U2 is a victim of their own success. They have so many hits, that they feel that they are forshaken lesser songs. But i love to hear these great songs. They are some of my favorites. I'd like to hear new songs, but would you really want to go to a show with 90% non die hards and watch them fall alseep as they played some of these B Sides?

Give me Holy Joe, but then break into Discoteque.

1. Magnificent
2. Get on Your Boots
3. No Line on the Horizon
4. Beautiful Day
5. New Year's Day
6. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
7. Discotheque
8. Breathe
9. Hawkmoon 269
10. Unknown Caller
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City of Blinding Lights
13. Fez - Being Born
14. Dirty Day
15. Please
16. MLK
17. Walk On
18. Moment of Surrender

19. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
20. The Fly
21. Until the End of the World

22. Where the Streets Have No Name
23. All I Want Is You
24. Bad

Would that be too much to ask? That was my proposed set for the first night. I think it has decent balance.

Let's be clear: we're not asking for Springsteen. We're not asking for spontaneous choices made mid-show. We're asking that U2 simply be prepared to mix it up more than songs 7-9 in the set (which is really all they've done so far) on a night to night basis. Half the "visual effects" are just videos of the band playing live. Why can't that be done for more songs? Is that hard to do, all of a sudden?

As a fellow Bill Hicks fan -- I agree with you in principle. They COULD pul it off. But imagine you weren't a U2 die hard -- imagine you went to see them with 10 people that only know the hits. They would rather hear With or Without You than Hawkmoon 269 (one of my favorites).

It's a weird mix. Springsteen seems to have 90% of his audience as die hards while U2 attracts die hards, but casual fans too.

What is the most varied they have been?

Let's be clear: we're not asking for Springsteen. We're not asking for spontaneous choices made mid-show. We're asking that U2 simply be prepared to mix it up more than songs 7-9 in the set (which is really all they've done so far) on a night to night basis. Half the "visual effects" are just videos of the band playing live. Why can't that be done for more songs? Is that hard to do, all of a sudden?

I'm in complete agreement.

1. Magnificent
2. Get on Your Boots
3. No Line on the Horizon
4. Beautiful Day
5. New Year's Day
6. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
7. Discotheque
8. Breathe
9. Hawkmoon 269
10. Unknown Caller
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City of Blinding Lights
13. Fez - Being Born
14. Dirty Day
15. Please
16. MLK
17. Walk On
18. Moment of Surrender

19. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
20. The Fly
21. Until the End of the World

22. Where the Streets Have No Name
23. All I Want Is You
24. Bad

Would that be too much to ask? That was my proposed set for the first night. I think it has decent balance.

I'd rather hear One and WOWY than Fez Being Born and UTEOTW, but that's just me. Otherwise, I really like your set, even if some of the other songs wouldn't be my first pick necessarily. I tend to gravitate towards the old (first 3 album) rockers as I think of any songs, especially in terms of low 'visual/effects impact', they would be the easiest to pick up and bring back to life :up:

I think you rigged that deliberately, though. You knew by opening with Magnificent I'd be all feelin good and shit :wink:

You have what 90,000 fans in such a venue? 4 members of the band. And how many setlist watchers in interference?

They all want to hear and see different songs. There will be no setlist that pleases some of you, period.

You have what 90,000 fans in such a venue? 4 members of the band. And how many setlist watchers in interference?

They all want to hear and see different songs. There will be no setlist that pleases some of you, period.

BVS,

I think this is what you have trouble grasping... that wasn't the only possible setlist that would do the trick... it was exemplary (it was an example). Who's to say a whole bunch of fans wouldn't get on board for such a (type of) setlist?

Yes, I would love to go to a show and be surprised. Know that they could play anything, but we got their formula down and know when they might mix it up.

Yet -- I was pretty pumped for Barcelona 2 when Desire, Party Girl and Electrical Storm came out.

And they finally dropped Bullet so that was progress.

Playing 3 biggest hits from Joshua Tree is hard to argue against. Playing Vertigo and BD -- crowd pleasures -- hard to fight against.

Everyone loves the sunday bloody sunday.

I think they are doing great setlists for all the choices they can make.

As a fellow Bill Hicks fan -- I agree with you in principle. They COULD pul it off. But imagine you weren't a U2 die hard -- imagine you went to see them with 10 people that only know the hits. They would rather hear With or Without You than Hawkmoon 269 (one of my favorites).

It's a weird mix. Springsteen seems to have 90% of his audience as die hards while U2 attracts die hards, but casual fans too.

What is the most varied they have been?

The Lovetown Tour was by far U2's most varied tour. In fact, probably their only varied tour, really. And the performances were spectacular.

I saw The Who play when I really only knew a few songs. And you know what? I loved a lot of stuff I wasn't familiar with and went back and looked it up. Because of that performance. I'm not interested in any band catering to casual fans by trotting out tired hits (One and WOWY being two prime examples of U2 playing hits that sound awful nowadays - WOWY has gotten to the point where I'm almost getting angry listening to it).

BVS,

I think this is what you have trouble grasping... that wasn't the only possible setlist that would do the trick... it was exemplary (it was an example). Who's to say a whole bunch of fans wouldn't get on board for such a (type of) setlist?

I think you have a problem grasping posts in general.

I did not quote any setlist, therefore I was not commenting on any setlist.

Try a little harder next time.

The Lovetown Tour was by far U2's most varied tour. In fact, probably their only varied tour, really. And the performances were spectacular.

I saw The Who play when I really only knew a few songs. And you know what? I loved a lot of stuff I wasn't familiar with and went back and looked it up. Because of that performance. I'm not interested in any band catering to casual fans by trotting out tired hits (One and WOWY being two prime examples of U2 playing hits that sound awful nowadays - WOWY has gotten to the point where I'm almost getting angry listening to it).

Well I beg to defer you are obviously interested in U2 and they do just that. My theory is that they have some many great songs, still love to hear them. Might be bored by them, but One and WOWY still sound decent to me.

I think I might have gotten on Edge's nerves a bit last tour although I won't presume that I even matter enough for him to have paid me any mind..during WOWY as the tour wore on I kept yelling out how I wanted the RnH WOWY solo. I think I even mentioned it to him one time I saw him, and he made a face. Or maybe that was Mark because I kept saying it. Yeah. :lol:

Anyways, if that solo came back I bet alot of people would feel differently about that song :yes:

I probably would. That's a great part. That and Shine Like Stars really improve the song.

I think you have a problem grasping posts in general.

I did not quote any setlist, therefore I was not commenting on any setlist.

Try a little harder next time.

----------

Given the timing/placement of your post, I think it's obvious that you were implicitely referencing PhillyFan's setlist... to make a point about any fan setlist and specifically that...

Back
Top Bottom