Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until the end is starting to sound outdated, One uninspired and Mysterious Ways flat compared to the more rocking tracks surrounding it

thank you

- Elevation has dropped back in as a regular, and fits well with No line.

- We have had the opportunity to hear some brilliant tracks such as in a little while and stuck.

I quite disagree with you here. Elevation was awesome indeed, but perhaps it could be rotated with vertigo.

And Brilliant tracks, IALW and Stuck?? You must have heard different songs than I have.

First off, What Old Songs, they play Nothing from the Early Days...This Show just rolls along and doesn't make the impact it could with a few Gems from the first 3 Albums, Come on U2, get out of your Trance!

it would be nice for the band to play something from the first two albums. but then again, they did that last time. i still say hold me thrill me would be awesome with this stage set up.

Until the end is starting to sound outdated, One uninspired and Mysterious Ways flat compared to the more rocking tracks surrounding it

thank you

agree about until the end of the world. that song used to bring chills once edge started his riff. however, the band just kinda goes through the motion with it now. there is no new song to replace one, so that isnt going anywhere. and mysterious ways needs the entended solo at the end to bring it back to where it was. ultraviolet is :drool: though.

ultraviolet is the highlight of the show. SBS is better then it was on vertigo and elevation. However, not as powerful as the early days. one and wowy do sound old. The best version of pride is from RAH. its not even close. Even on the TUF tour. So for me, pride has to try to measure up to that. Walk on is better on the elevation tour. Sometimes it does seem a little off on some of the old songs. At this point, old bands try to do "too much" with the old classics because people expect so much out of them. Elevation is very eh on this tour. This is a very schizophrenic tour . One guy tells me, who has been going to concerts for years, and has seen all kinds of bands, that the giants stadium 9/23 show was the best show he had ever seen, HANDS DOWN. Coming from him, thats huge.That he could make the judgment so fast. Then i hear from someone else that show was bland and uninspired. lol. WTF? The album's success (critical and commercial) ranges from horrible to great. Depending on who you ask. Popmart did not get good until the second half. Is it going be like that?

thank you

how the fuck do some of you think One sounds uninspired? It sounds fucking brilliant if you ask me...best it has sounded in a long time...SBS sounds great. WOWY definitely did not disappoint me at the Rose Bowl...does not sound as bad as you'd think based off some comments on here...

agree about until the end of the world. that song used to bring chills once edge started his riff. however, the band just kinda goes through the motion with it now. there is no new song to replace one, so that isnt going anywhere. and mysterious ways needs the entended solo at the end to bring it back to where it was. ultraviolet is :drool: though.

:up:

First off, What Old Songs, they play Nothing from the Early Days...This Show just rolls along and doesn't make the impact it could with a few Gems from the first 3 Albums, Come on U2, get out of your Trance!

Great statement, but you forget SBS and the (occasional) NYD plus the (rare) Party Girl. I know, that this is not enough: Still hope for October etc. But obviously not now ...

I quite disagree with you here. Elevation was awesome indeed, but perhaps it could be rotated with vertigo.

And Brilliant tracks, IALW and Stuck?? You must have heard different songs than I have.

I dont give a crap about all the ATYCLB hatred around here. It gave u2 a complete new look, yes the last 2 albums have fed of ATYCLB, but like acthung changed u2's style, so did ATYCLB, and thats why im glad there playing songs like Stuck and IALW.

I dont give a crap about all the ATYCLB hatred around here. It gave u2 a complete new look, yes the last 2 albums have fed of ATYCLB, but like acthung changed u2's style, so did ATYCLB, and thats why im glad there playing songs like Stuck and IALW.
and other people disagree. i didn't know an opinion could be wrong.

Where the fuck did I state I hate ATYCLB???:|

To each their own I guess. I like ATYCLB, it's not a bad album. But the songs I prefer are WILATW and Kite. I even like Stuck on the album, but the acoustic version? Once was okay, but every night? No thanks.. it's not that good.

Where the fuck did I state I hate ATYCLB???:|

To each their own I guess. I like ATYCLB, it's not a bad album. But the songs I prefer are WILATW and Kite. I even like Stuck on the album, but the acoustic version? Once was okay, but every night? No thanks.. it's not that good.

I agree on the acoustic version. The actually album version should be played, right next to TUF on this tour. If there going play acoustics every night, then switch it with desire or even a kite acoustic.

My point was, songs like IALW and Stuck add something different to the set. Thats intimacy, hence why im glad them songs are in the set. I mean im sure you can name some better songs which create a better atmosphere, but these are well known songs, and get a great reception which helps. Look at YBR, great song, but crap reception = fail. Rather Stuck, great song, good reception = positive part of the show.

Why do some songs sound worse on this tour?

First, Bono's voice is MUCH worse than it has ever been before in his career. He can't scream anymore. He can't falsetto anymore. And now he's having problems singing. He is "speaking" the lyrics (as opposed to singing them), WAY too much.

Second, the tempo of so many songs is WAY too slow. This mainly applies to the classics. Live performances are supposed to pick up the tempo!

Third, the band isn't "improvising" anymore. They used to take their classics and re-invent them for each tour (OK, not EVERY song was reinvented, but a lot of them were). Think of RTSS on ZooTV, Streets on Popmart, The Fly on Elevation, Elevation on Vertigo - these are all examples. Reinventing a song means that you have to focus on what you're doing rather than just put yourself on auto-pilot. You have to get creative and passionate about the song. U2 hasn't reinvented any songs for this tour. They are basically just the songs in standard form. And the shame is, they could do so many cool things by giving some of their classics an "outer space" sort of feel. I'm not sure how I'd describe that, but maybe I'd liken it to how Streets and BTBS got a "Pop" feel to them during the Popmart tour.

Finally a thread where people who love U2 but don't fully agree or like everything the band does can comment and share their thoughts without being attacked as if they are a troll.

Here are my thoughts on the songs from the tours so far:

Breathe - hasn't sounded as good as the first time it was played during the promo tour, by that I mean the mix. The Guitar sounds quite dull and Bono's vocals are not mixed in well over the other instruments.

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - lazy uninspired version. Hasn't sounded as good as the Vertigo tour version through this tour.

Until The End Of The World - again lazy this tour. There seems to be less energy going on at the end between Edge and Bono compared to previous tours.

City Of Blinding Lights - I don't know what they changed but the mix sounds worse than the Vertigo tour.

With Or Without You - no passion by Bono in the vocal. Seems very uninspired.

Walk On - lazy singing by Bono. I really dislike the way he is just talking the lyrics rather than singing them - HOW IS THIS BETTER?!

First, Bono's voice is MUCH worse than it has ever been before in his career. He can't scream anymore. He can't falsetto anymore. And now he's having problems singing. He is "speaking" the lyrics (as opposed to singing them), WAY too much.

Second, the tempo of so many songs is WAY too slow. This mainly applies to the classics. Live performances are supposed to pick up the tempo!

Third, the band isn't "improvising" anymore. They used to take their classics and re-invent them for each tour (OK, not EVERY song was reinvented, but a lot of them were). Think of RTSS on ZooTV, Streets on Popmart, The Fly on Elevation, Elevation on Vertigo - these are all examples. Reinventing a song means that you have to focus on what you're doing rather than just put yourself on auto-pilot. You have to get creative and passionate about the song. U2 hasn't reinvented any songs for this tour. They are basically just the songs in standard form. And the shame is, they could do so many cool things by giving some of their classics an "outer space" sort of feel. I'm not sure how I'd describe that, but maybe I'd liken it to how Streets and BTBS got a "Pop" feel to them during the Popmart tour.

I don't agree with you on the voice. NOT AT ALL! His vocal low point was absolutely Elevation in 2001. I think he sounds good.

But you raise an interesting point about re-inventing songs. They brought us YBR, but that's about it, isn't it? Good point....

Crazy Tonight is about as drastic a reinvention as anything they've ever done, live. Actually , it is, period.

Also, Bono's falsetto is better than it has been over the past few tours. He's actually deferring to it a bit too much, perhaps!

I don't agree with you on the voice. NOT AT ALL! His vocal low point was absolutely Elevation in 2001. I think he sounds good.
Don't agree. On Elevation, Bono's voice could be at his lowest "capacity", but it was probably one of the eras where Bono's vocal performances were more emotional, definitely, without any doubt.
I can't see that deliverance this time.

Don't agree. On Elevation, Bono's voice could be at his lowest "capacity", but it was probably one of the eras where Bono's vocal performances were more emotional, definitely, without any doubt.
I can't see that deliverance this time.

Capacity yes.... but I also think it was the low point all around. A band out of ideas, ability, and no interest in their own new album.....

I'm glad things got better with Vertigo! :)

A band out of ideas, ability, and no interest in their own new album.....

I think that this quote fits perfectly on the NLOTH/360º dicotomy not in ATYCLB/Elevation.
U2 has definitely no interest in showing the potencial of NLOTH to the public, whether we're talking about the promotion of the album, the lack of new songs on setlists, or the unbelievable lack of connection between the album's spirit and the show itself.

Galeongirl;648615 I like ATYCLB said:
This is my thinking exactly. Lets face it, Kite and WILATW would be the best songs from this album to play, but that is pretty unrealistic.

Stuck acoustic, reasonable people can disagree on whether it is good or not or whether they should play it or not. What is completely unreasonable and indefensible from any standpoint is its inclusion in the set EVERY night. When was the last time U2 played so many mediocre versions of a 2 albums old song every single night on a tour? I mean, Vertigo saw alot of stuck and it probably only made 1/4 of shows.

ATYCLB should have BD and Walk On as nightly staples, with the occasional(4 or 5 shows per 25 show leg for example) In A Little While or Kite.

Same w/WOWY, I can not understand why it was rotated alot on Vertigo and Elevation, missed entire legs of both tours, but now is played at every single show.

I think that this quote fits perfectly on the NLOTH/360º dicotomy not in ATYCLB/Elevation.
U2 has definitely no interest in showing the potencial of NLOTH to the public, whether we're talking about the promotion of the album, the lack of new songs on setlists, or the unbelievable lack of connection between the album's spirit and the show itself.

Which explains why they open with Breathe every night, despite their full knowledge that they're playing it to a crowd of people who have never heard it before?

Well, most here agree that U2 should play more from Horizon, if not in number of songs per night than in diversity of songs. They can give SUC a shot, or WAS or COL in the acoustic slot.

In terms of live shows, they are promoting the album alot, and with quite a deal of criticism since so few people are familiar with it compared to the last 2. I maintain, the only problem with the promotion of NLOTH was someone forgot to promote GOYB when it came out, so it completely and totally flopped.

However, when you consider how other bands that have been around a while play 2 or 3 songs max off of their new albums(really just excuses to tour), then U2 can not be criticized here.

I have heard alot of people criticize U2 for playing 7 songs off NLOTH and neglecting "the hits" Not that I agree, just saying what I hear out there in the real, non interference world. I have to defend U2 all the time against charges that they don't give the fans what they want by playing the hits.

I think the theme of the show was kept up alot better on Elevation, with songs fitting the stage and the mood U2 was seeking to create, etc. However, I would much rather see 360 with all of its flaws than I would Elevation with Bono's voice shot, 19 songs per night and everything toned down a couple steps. Just compare SBS 2001 to SBS 2009. You get the idea!

I don't however, disagree that 360 has a long way to go in terms of bringing the songs in line with both NLOTH and the stage set.

I'd say that The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet have both been reinvented on this tour..maybe not dramatically, but they are both definitely different than they've been performed in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom