Changing up the set for 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, if the band came up to me right now and said, "Name any song you want to hear and we will play it" I would blurt out New York.

That song has really grown on me lately. I'd love to hear it make a live comeback.

New York is actually a very good song. I've never been to New York, so lyrically it's never resonated with me, but it's a good song, one of the few songs on ATYCLB that dares to be different. Kind of strange that on Vertigo and 360 tours it's never had so much as a snippet while playing a show in New York. Ditto Miami in Miami.

If U2 were to ask me any song I wanted to hear, so many songs would come to mind, Zooropa and Pop songs, etc. However, I think I'd have to go with Bad, and Stay if I could get a 2nd choice. Bad, when done right, is U2's greatest live moment. It should be in the show EVERY NIGHT... throw out IALW if they need to make room. And Stay is my favorite U2 song, so I want to hear it. Full band, electric, like on the album for a change.

Yeah, I'd be happy with When I Look At The World as well...and if they played Crumbs I would have an ear-gasm.

But I love New York so much. I was born in the city so it really hits home for me when I hear it.

I turned up Red Hill Mining Town today full blast and it was unbelievable. I followed Edge's guitar on mine with delay. Its relatively easy. I know the chorus is up there but Bono could nail it with his new and improved MOS frog voice. I think it would bring down the fucking house in the NorthStar, Mercy, Bad type area. Or they could just say fuck it and play Acrobat one time. It won't make the crowd anymore bored than acoustic Stuck, MS, YBR, or IALW.

Seriously.
I can't see them continuing with this IALW>MS nonsense anymore.

If they still do it once they get back to NA, I'm gonna rage. :angry:

In A Little While will go. Stay maybe?
Mysterious Ways will go. Even Better than the Real Thing maybe?
Magnificent will go. New single maybe?

There'll be about, at least, 20% changes.

No good sir, Mysterious Ways must stay! And Magnificent isn't going anywhere, that's just about the only song from NLOTH that they'd not be willing to part with in some way shape or form.

Heh

Mysterious Ways and Magnificent are here to stay. And I have no problem with that. The only thing they might do is bring back the slide solo to MW, but even if they don't, I'm fine with it.

Honestly what I think they should do is create more variation in their shows. I mean while something like Streets or Beautiful Day should be a gimme, I think there are too many songs that are on an 'permanent' list.

Granted, that's what happens when a band turns 30 with hits off of every album... but I think some songs that get played every night will have a higher value if they're a bit more exclusive.

The next US leg will require decent changes. Whether they're rotated, or 'every night' changes, it should be pretty obvious to see what kind of songs they'll keep or shift. *If* there's a new album there'll be a few more songs to fit in, as well. They'll bump some of what they've got now for rough equivalents (Acoustic Shift = IALW for perhaps Stay or similar, Achtung Single Shift = Mysterious Ways for Even Better than the Real Thing) and *IF* there's a new album first, they'll replace some semi-new for 'new' new (poor performing, weak, and weak live Magnificent for New Single.)

It's nice to like what you like, but there's a bit of history behind what are their A songs (standard, even if only on rotation) and B songs (get a more than decent run on some tours, not a hint on others, and sometimes in between, subbed between on different legs), and you can kinda read what the new B songs are too (you've already lost Breathe and No Line, get ready, *if* they release a new album, to lose Magnificent too.)

If I may add my 2 cents worth...
I agree about the whole 1 or 2 song acoustic thing, it's just wrong for the energy level that goes with a U2 concert.

The one thing none of you hardcore's have at all discussed is, song transitions. They seem to have lost a very nice flowing setlist that goes well together. It really seems that Elevation was the last tour where that occurred. If I'm wrong, please let me know what concert this occurred. I have seen them live since early 80's and I really enjoy every concert I have been to but for some reason, elevation everything just made sense.

If I may add my 2 cents worth...
I agree about the whole 1 or 2 song acoustic thing, it's just wrong for the energy level that goes with a U2 concert.

The one thing none of you hardcore's have at all discussed is, song transitions. They seem to have lost a very nice flowing setlist that goes well together. It really seems that Elevation was the last tour where that occurred. If I'm wrong, please let me know what concert this occurred. I have seen them live since early 80's and I really enjoy every concert I have been to but for some reason, elevation everything just made sense.

True.

Though Vertigo did flow better than 360 and it made up for lack of cohesion in some spots with a lot of set list variation.

I've been getting into the Elevation Tour a bit more recently and though it is difficult for me to get over Bono's voice and the resulting tune down of many songs, I have to admit, the set lists, especially on the 3rd leg, flowed very well.

The 10/30 show in Providence is a great example of this!

I really hope they can change the whole structure of the set list for these upcoming shows, starting Friday in Santiago.

All that being said, I think they're moving in the right direction compared to 2009 and all they really need to do is rotate more and get rid of some of the weaker, overplayed stuff.(MS, Walk On, etc)

ALSO:

There is a lot of talk about rotating Mysterious Ways with Even Better Than The Real Thing.

There is a very good chance that happens, I think and I also think most would welcome it.

They could also give 2 Hearts Beat As One a few shots in that slot.

They should play the following songs before the 360 Tour is finished:

Even Better Than The Real Thing OR The Fly
New York OR Kite
Fez/Being Born OR Stand Up Comedy
Drowning Man OR Two Hearts
Running To Stand Still OR Bullet The Blue Sky
Out Of Control

oh god i hope they don't try ebtrtt. it sucked live on zoo tv tour and it would sound even worse now. and new york, ugh, they'd have to drop at least two atyclb songs, lest it becomes elevation tour part 2 even more.

i've also already made my thoughts on thbao before so i won't bother repeating, though i doubt they'll do it just because it's been ages since they've done it. however i'd rather them play that than half of a nearly 11 year old album every night. (lol because one song added would mean four removed amirite)

Seriously, who the fuck wouldn't like Discotheque? They're sitting on a gold mine with that one.

Or how about a dance-y version of Two Hearts Beat As One replacing Crazy Tonight? It would work fairly easily.

No point in ever not having Bad in the setlist. It's their best live song and works wherever you throw it. They could freakin' open with it for fuck's sake.

How about opening with Zooropa for crying out loud?

It's just very sad that only 3 songs from NLOTH remained in the last setlist... I am afraid the rest of 360 is getting a greatest hits tour, even worse than what happened in Australia leg of Vertigo...

Seriously, who the fuck wouldn't like Discotheque? They're sitting on a gold mine with that one.

Or how about a dance-y version of Two Hearts Beat As One replacing Crazy Tonight? It would work fairly easily.

I for one wouldn't want either.

Two Hearts wouldn't be bad but mainly for the "wow they pulled out an oldie" reason.

Disco I find way too overrated in interference. Decent riff but lyrically always bugged me.

Back
Top Bottom