Changing up the set for 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only radiohead songs I know are Creep and Fake Plastic Trees. The latter only because its outro was on the radio recording we got of the premiere of Window in the Skies.

:shrug: Can't say I care much about them I guess.

And it will be at the expense of the taxpayers, which will inevitably make people hate Bono.

I think we've got it all figured out now.

You can feel free to ignore people who pick fights with you, you know. No need to drag it into other threads.

Well maybe, Rosa, but you really have to consider Radiohead Britney Spears producer new U2 album democrats cats what are you smelling hot pic of Bono.

I mean, right?

did anyone notice Willie's latest diary entry at u2.com?

he mentions the band want to start playing a never-before-played "classic." apparently, pieces of it were run through at the Cape Town soundchecks.

he mentions the band want to start playing a never-before-played "classic."

ACROBAT!

But, seriously, there aren't all that many "never before played" older songs in the U2 catalogue, right? Or at least ones that might be labeled "classic."

Acrobat, Red Hill Mining Town, Heartland, Drowning Man maybe?

There's a song the band want to rehearse which is an album track that they've never played live. The backline crew played it through this afternoon, in order to get the sounds set up and it seemed very promising, so I hope it goes well with the band tomorrow. I’d like to get some more unplayed classics into the music arsenal.

might be Zooropa.. wasn't that played before Cape Town? or was that J'burg?

They have played Zooropa before though, only a few times, but still.

I guess it all depends on his definition of both 'classic' and 'never'.

did anyone notice Willie's latest diary entry at u2.com?

he mentions the band want to start playing a never-before-played "classic." apparently, pieces of it were run through at the Cape Town soundchecks.

Its about time they played Promenade!!!! ;)

My "guess" here is that if true its a song that has been done but not recently and not a lot previously. Based on limited information I would guess Zooropa based on the snippet inclusion in the City intro and its lyrical content and how it could be interpreted to fit current events. I'm still not holding my breath. U2 have thought of, worked on, verbalized things like this before and they never come to pass.

Acrobat? why? Its an average song, I think fans just say this because its one of a handful of songs they have not done live. The novelty of them playing it would wear off quickly as it would be a setlist pacing killer and I don't think it would translate well live. I think its a major reason it has never been done. :shrug:

the fact that they went out of their way to hide themselves, when they didn't give a shit for boy falls from the sky and scarlet, leads me to hope that this might be a serious idea.

however i suspect this idea will probably go with them to the grave.

Yeah what song would fall under "never played" in concert, AND "classic"? I can't imagine any of the songs that have never made it live are popular enough to be considered classics. Heartland was in the Rattle & Hum movie, which is the best I can think of. Although Red Hill Mining Town did have a music video. :shifty::love:

I would guess a lot of people on IF would love Acrobat, but it's pretty far down my list of hopeful debuts.

Yeah, Zooropa's been played, though.

Fez-Being Born .... can't imagine anyone considering that a "classic."

I don't think Bono could even begin to sing the chorus of Red Hill Mining Town these days.

Acrobat would be mind-boggling. Heartland would be unreal.

Exciting, though, whatever it is! (unless it's a song I hate, like Red Light :wink: )

according to u2gigs these are the songs that've never been done live, fyi:

Boy: All songs were played live.
October: Is That All? and Stranger In A Strange Land. The former shared its musical basis with The Cry, a mini-song often played before The Electric Co. A line from the latter was snippeted once.
War: Drowning Man, The Refugee, and Red Light. Drowning Man was briefly snippeted in 11 O'clock Tick Tock a number of times; it was rehearsed extensively in mid-2009 and bootlegs exist of it being soundchecked, but it was never included in a concert setlist.
The Unforgettable Fire: Promenade, 4th Of July, and with one snippet to its name, Elvis Presley And America.
The Joshua Tree: Red Hill Mining Town.
Rattle And Hum: Heartland; a few lines from it were snippeted at two concerts.
Achtung Baby: Acrobat. So-called "live" recordings of Acrobat are sourced from private rehearsals. So Cruel only appeared as a stripped-down song played by Bono solo.
Zooropa: Some Days Are Better Than Others.
Pop: Playboy Mansion, from which a couple of lines were snippeted often on Popmart at the end of Where The Streets Have No Name.
All That You Can't Leave Behind: Grace and When I Look At The World; the latter was snippeted once. It is debatable if any of the snippets of Peace On Earth before Walk On should be considered significant enough to constitute independent performances. We list three occasions as separate performances when Bono sung the majority of the song, though many may interpret those performances as glorified snippets. We acknowledge this is a grey area.
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: A Man And A Woman, One Step Closer.
No Line On The Horizon: Stand Up Comedy, Fez-Being Born, White As Snow, and Cedars Of Lebanon.

if i were picking just based on my opinion, i'd go with drowning man (maybe they're finally happy with their version?) or heartland, though i'm not sure if the band would consider either a classic. adam did at one point say drowning man was his favourite u2 song, but then again bono also said your blue room was his favourite at one point and look at what happened to that one.

Yeah, Zooropa's been played, though.

Do you seriously think the band remembers that? I don't. They played it a couple of times 18 years ago, half the song, and it was a disaster.

I will say though, the band may be thinking of a song, but I bet it never is done. Anything new is most likely going to be new material, not an old song they have never played before.

I remember Edge said before this tour that they would love to play a song like Luminous Times and how cool that would be. It didn't even make it to the Barcelona rehearsals. U2 is big on ideas when it comes to their catalog. Unfortunately it rarely materializes into a show.

Yes, I do actually believe the band probably does remember the album Zooropa, and that they gave the title song a shot a handful of times and then also remembers that they couldn't quite get it to their satisfaction.

Maybe to them that counts as "never played," but yes, I seriously think the band knows they have in fact played Zooropa.

I guess I don't know why I'm arguing, sort of, about it. Its not as if they will actually play Zooropa anyway, even if it is the song being referred to. I'm sure the band remembers the names and albums they have done. I never said they did not. :shrug:

In their minds, I think it does count as not being done as they never got it down and it was never played in full. Knowing how they go through soundchecks and rehearsals and Bono's absent memory on those kind of details, I seriously think it would count as not being done from Bono's perspective.

I guess the very premise "A U2 classic that has never been done", there are no U2 songs that would be deemed a classic that have never been played IMO. The statement itself is sort of an oxymoron. So as a result my "guess" would be a song that has been played, but not recently and/or very much in the past.

That logic wouldn't surprise me, and I have to say I wouldn't complain if it did turn out to be Zooropa.

Sorry I got snippy about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom