Changing up the set for 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things to make the show cooler:
1) Drop IALW
2) Encore Acrobat complete with laser jacket
3) Mercy-Bad every night
4) Stingray guitar every night
5) Bono does P90X before the NA tour :hmm:

if they dare to start with BD here in Chile, I will personally climb up on stage and kick Bono's ass all over the stage :angry:

While I think the first lines were serious... I'm gonna go ahead and assume that last one was a joke. Hopefully.

Hope for the best then.

They're still pretty far.

Doubt it. Excitement for Radiohead albums is usually through the roof, for U2 it's usually met with a "but they're sellouts and has-beens wah wah wah". Or something like that.

if they dare to start with BD here in Chile, I will personally climb up on stage and kick Bono's ass all over the stage :angry:

Shouldn't you just be happy that they decided to haul their fat asses to Chile? :wink:

eh... depends what you're defining as a fan. Now, I wouldn't be able to tell you who has more diehard fans (such as in the way that Interference is filled with diehard U2 fans), but you must be kidding if you're talking about a total fanbase. Radiohead couldn't fill a stadium on any given night, U2 can.

I wouldn't laugh at Radiohead at all, but I also wouldn't say that they're somehow more anticipated/ attention worthy than U2.

Yes, they are.

At this point in both of the band's careers, a new Radiohead album will generate more buzz than a new U2 album.

It's something that is very hard to quantify, or prove. But, I'm telling you, the buzz that is surrounding the King of Limbs right now, or the buzz that surrounded In Rainbows' release, is something that U2 will never match again the rest of their careers. Yeah, they might have matched it back in '91, or in some other bygone era. But not anymore.

I love both bands. I'm not trying to knock anybody or piss anybody off. But it's true. A lot of it has to do with how long the bands have been around. U2 already had something like 13 or 14 years in the business before Radiohead released their first album. A lot of people see U2 as old, and past their prime. Radiohead isn't seen that way. Their output has been consistently great, and consistently met with unanimous praise. U2's recent output simply has not.

Let's face it, Radiohead right now is just flat out a hipper and cooler band than U2. Sorry.

Of course, U2 has a massive fan base. They sell out massive tours. Their albums sell a lot. But, they're also past their prime. I'm saying this on a U2 fan site message board, so a lot of people are going to disagree, and that's fine. But, U2 are past their prime. Their last album was completely forgotten about a few weeks after its release. Radiohead's last album was universally lauded. Seen as one of the best albums of the decade, and was able to break into the public consciousness. NLOTH didn't do a damn thing. Radiohead is still in their prime. U2 are not.

It's something that is very hard to quantify, or prove. But, I'm telling you, the buzz that is surrounding the King of Limbs right now, or the buzz that surrounded In Rainbows' release, is something that U2 will never match again the rest of their careers. Yeah, they might have matched it back in '91, or in some other bygone era. But not anymore.

Sadly, it's true.

But, there's always that glimmer of hope that U2 could shock the world, much like they have in the past. Make history, how many bands can say that some of their best work comes 30+ years into their careers? I'd like to see it be done. A dreamer, I say.

Past their prime how? Is this just an age thing? Because I'm not sure how any band or artist that is still actively putting out music can be labeled "past their prime" when we have no idea what they will release in the future or how it will be received. I mean I guess if we were just talking about Bono's vocals then maybe there would be a point. But the creativity and passion for music and the possibility of creating something brilliant through that, is not something that has a "prime". Unless we just want to assume that every U2 album from here on out is going to be a massive shit-stain on their legacy.

Past their prime how? Is this just an age thing? Because I'm not sure how any band or artist that is still actively putting out music can be labeled "past their prime" when we have no idea what they will release in the future or how it will be received. I mean I guess if we were just talking about Bono's vocals then maybe there would be a point. But the creativity and passion for music and the possibility of creating something brilliant through that, is not something that has a "prime". Unless we just want to assume that every U2 album from here on out is going to be a massive shit-stain on their legacy.

U2 has been past their prime (1987-1992) for quite some time now. And the reason behind that is it's kinda hard to top one of the best albums of all time.

Like I said, this is a U2 fansite, so I know that my statement is not going to be met with total agreement. It's just my opinion. They are past their prime. The music they're making these days isn't as good as the music they used to make, and I don't see them making an album in the future that will match (or even come close to matching) what they were coming up with in the glory days. That's what I meant by past their prime. Just my personal view. You disagree, that's cool.

Mainly, though, I was making a comparison to Radiohead, in response to another post. Whereas I personally don't think U2 is making music these days that's as good as they used to, In Rainbows showed me that Radiohead is. And where I personally don't think U2 is capable of matching Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, I firmly believe that The King of Limbs has the potential to be as good as OK Computer. That's where I'm coming from in the comparison between the two.

I would suggest that U2 are definitely well past their prime, by some distance. Is there hope for another great U2 album in the future? Sure, of course. But the only way they could probably reach anything anywhere near their creative peak again would be for them to ditch the hyper-concentration on commercial success, and I can't see them ever doing that. They'll quite before then. Their focus is in a different direction, their goals are not creativity based.

And New U2 vs New Radiohead anticipation and hype? If you catch it now, the Guardian website has the new Radiohead album as its lead story, they're running a live blog on its release, as each bit of info inches out, and then will follow live blogging the listening and reactions around the globe. Would U2 get that? Not a chance.

that's because Radiohead has broke some rules, and is going against the industry... if anything, U2 is going with the flow, and poorly doing so..

Yes, they are.

At this point in both of the band's careers, a new Radiohead album will generate more buzz than a new U2 album.

I love both bands. I'm not trying to knock anybody or piss anybody off. But it's true. A lot of it has to do with how long the bands have been around. U2 already had something like 13 or 14 years in the business before Radiohead released their first album. A lot of people see U2 as old, and past their prime. Radiohead isn't seen that way. Their output has been consistently great, and consistently met with unanimous praise. U2's recent output simply has not.

Let's face it, Radiohead right now is just flat out a hipper and cooler band than U2. Sorry.

Of course, U2 has a massive fan base. They sell out massive tours. Their albums sell a lot. But, they're also past their prime. I'm saying this on a U2 fan site message board, so a lot of people are going to disagree, and that's fine. But, U2 are past their prime. Their last album was completely forgotten about a few weeks after its release. Radiohead's last album was universally lauded. Seen as one of the best albums of the decade, and was able to break into the public consciousness. NLOTH didn't do a damn thing. Radiohead is still in their prime. U2 are not.

Im sorry but radiohead are not cool or hip,never have been or will be.

hip & cool, yes
does the random music listener who enjoys music, buys 3 albums a year and goes to a concert once every 4 years (aka the vast majority of this planet) give a crap about a new Radiohead release? no

U2 have been there
and it's a very small group of musicians (esp last 2 decades) who can say they've been there
so it's a bit like comparing apples & cows

and I know you shouldn't cater to avarage joe and blahblah
but that doesn't change comparing U2 to Radiohead, when it comes to expectations, is somewhat silly

hip & cool, yes
does the random music listener who enjoys music, buys 3 albums a year and goes to a concert once every 4 years (aka the vast majority of this planet) give a crap about a new Radiohead release? no

U2 have been there
and it's a very small group of musicians (esp last 2 decades) who can say they've been there
so it's a bit like comparing apples & cows

and I know you shouldn't cater to avarage joe and blahblah
but that doesn't change comparing U2 to Radiohead, when it comes to expectations, is somewhat silly
:up::up:

Earth to Radiohead worshippers/Indie music lovers:

U2 and Radiohead are not in the same category by any standard whatsoever.

They are entirely different acts.

One thing I hate, hate, hate about interference is its lumping of U2 in with all of these indie rock/artsy bands and has beens like REM.

U2's peers are the big names in rock history: Bruce, Beatles, Stones, The Who, etc, etc.

Everyone understand?

Ok, good.

There's really no two ways about this.......

Don't get me wrong I think radiohead is a great band, but some people just make me freaking sick of them. Oh well!

Btw maybe U2 will cover some radiohead albums live and become a popular and hip band again, wasn't like they were ever hip in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom