Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not have that looped The future needs a big kiss/demented version of the EU anthem intro (from Boots), but then open with NLOTH ? It's the one song that could open from the last album.

Speaking of Space Oddity, as long as I'm being nitpicky today, I'd like to voice my very mild, nitpicky complaint that the Space Oddity intro is now shorter than it was when it segued into Soon.

I liked singing more of the song at the top of my lungs and doing the *clap clap* parts! :grumpy:

Yeah, Streets made sense opening on TJT/LT because it was their current new anthem song, and it opened the album as well. Plus the band almost always opens with a song from the most recent album (another thing that makes this leg so weird) But Streets works better NOW towards the end of a set because, like someone else said, it has become the climax of the show. ...And you don't want to climax too early... :shifty:

Why not have that looped The future needs a big kiss/demented version of the EU anthem intro (from Boots), but then open with NLOTH ? It's the one song that could open from the last album.

That'd be nifty and all, but why not just play GOYB then? NLOTH might be worth a try, but it's not "the one song" that could open..it's one of the riskier ones, maybe, give ya that! ;)

Open with Boots ? No. Too predictable, and yet another way for the song to ape Vertigo. :wink:

The way they play NLOTH now is not opener-worthy. It's not even close to the "wall of sound" they get on the album.

Open with Boots ? No. Too predictable, and yet another way for the song to ape Vertigo. :wink:

I agree it sounds way too much like Vertigo but that doesn't legitimize opening with a weaker opener like NLOTH. In that case a return to Breathe would be better.

never thought I'd say this but good god they need to finish Mercy (or something) :lol:

:lol:

I actually thought it was just a better joke to follow the "climax" comment than denouement.

You were funnier when it used to just roll off the cuff. Now I know that you're editing heavily...well, let's just say my guffaws are fewer and further between. You're like Bono...you've become too clever. YOU USED TO BE ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!11!1!

:wink:

NLOTH being weaker than the openers so far ? I think it would be much better but for some reason they won't try it. All it needs is a bit longer intro before Bono enters with "I know a girl!".

Open with The Fly and have the screen stretched out and the spire lit up in a glowing blue, like a bug-zapper. Corny yet awesome. :D :wink:

At this stage of the tour, with all the care free abandoment that, by their standards, the band are showing, imagine... Space Oddity, the band walking on with their instruments, all the die hards expecting Stingray, Adam and Larry have had a little word backstage and rip straight into Out of Control! Edge and Bono thinking WTF, now that would be bonkers:lol:

At this stage of the tour, with all the care free abandoment that, by their standards, the band are showing, imagine... Space Oddity, the band walking on with their instruments, all the die hards expecting Stingray, Adam and Larry have had a little word backstage and rip straight into Out of Control! Edge and Bono thinking WTF, now that would be bonkers:lol:

Guy! :up::up:

You were funnier when it used to just roll off the cuff. Now I know that you're editing heavily...well, let's just say my guffaws are fewer and further between. You're like Bono...you've become too clever. YOU USED TO BE ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC!!11!1!

Well jeez, I can't even respond to that, because I'd just edit my comment three times anyway. :wink:

I might actually pop out of my shoes with excitement if they busted out with Out of Control at a show I was at next year.

And if they opened with it .... I don't what I'd do. Pop out of my shoes, pee and then die, maybe. Which would actually be a shame, because then I'd miss it. OH, THE IRONY.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Fez/Being Born :hmm:

Especially maybe doing Fez into Boots. Hell, SUC would even work too. Breathe just didn't work because of the "waltz" type beat and I do enjoy Sting Ray, its just the pause before BD.

Major Tom (Lights go down)
Extended Fez/Let Me In The Sound
Boots

Exactly my thoughts as well...

Well stated!

Only marginally on-topic, but I love this performance of Stingray Guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puanAlSleqI
I don't know, it just seems even more energetic than usual somehow.
EDIT: Also, Stingray has to be their most insane opener ever. Seriously, the crowd is just kind of standing there, the screen's not on, the pre-show music is still going, then
DUH DUH DUH-DUH DUH DUH-DUH DUH-DUH DUH DUH
I'm not so sure about BD, but my fingers are crossed that Stingray stays in the setlist until at least Chicago.

Only marginally on-topic, but I love this performance of Stingray Guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puanAlSleqI
I don't know, it just seems even more energetic than usual somehow.
EDIT: Also, Stingray has to be their most insane opener ever. Seriously, the crowd is just kind of standing there, the screen's not on, the pre-show music is still going, then
DUH DUH DUH-DUH DUH DUH-DUH DUH-DUH DUH DUH
I'm not so sure about BD, but my fingers are crossed that Stingray stays in the setlist until at least Chicago.

Just the crowd clapping in unison at the start gives me chills. :hyper: And I agree, this performance has a lot of energy. Stingray is just a great opening.

Breathe also was a great opener but it would fit in better elsewhere in the set. I would love to see Breathe making a comeback somewhere in the middle or later part of the set.

But unfortunatly i can't see it happening.

Stingray into Zoo Station would be ideal for me. If U2 are not officially promoting NLOTH, there is nothing wrong with playing an oldie, especially if it is a fool-proof opener.

i realize that hating the Elevation Tour is the cool thing to do, but personally, i think the opening sequence of the Elevation remix, lights on, and the song was one of the coolest moments in U2's live history.

agreed, I loved that open

I love the song (breathe), but the opening salvo of the 2010 version of 360 is so much better- really gets the crowd going

Back
Top Bottom